Today's Times crossword

Old Pivotonian

Old Pivotonian

Some light relief. Today's Times crossword includes the clue: ' Rubbish musical about Heart of Midlothian (3,3)'.

It's one of the very few clues that I was able to answer this morning. Anyone else? 

8 minutes ago, Old Pivotonian said:

Top marks.

i rarely get them but got to Hair and midlOTian so by combining them hOT air

Old Pivotonian
Just now, adambraejambo said:

Reluctant to leave the Heart of Midlothian  (4) 

Loth ?

1 minute ago, adambraejambo said:

Reluctant to leave the Heart of Midlothian  (4) 

nope Levein isn't 4 letters

adambraejambo
1 minute ago, Old Pivotonian said:

Loth ?

I'm so annoyed that it took me about 10 mins to figure it out . Yes loth 

Old Pivotonian
11 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Explain

The clue uses some of the typical 'directions' of a cryptic crossword.  The answer is usually described at the very begining or the very end of the clue. In this case we are looking for a phrase of two three-letter  words that mean 'Rubbish'. The 'Heart of Midlothian' in the clue is there to misdirect us.  It actually has nothing to do with football. Instead we are looking for the heart (or middle) of Midlothian.   that could be 'ot'  or maybe 'loth'.  A musical is 'about it' This usually means surrounding it.  So, a 4 letter musical (HAIR) put around OT gives us HOTAIR.  Split it into the two words needed and you have Hot Air (meaning rubbish).  Cryptic crosswords are not always easy but they get easier with practice.    Just a wee bit of fun on a lock-down bank holiday.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, Old Pivotonian said:

The clue uses some of the typical 'directions' of a cryptic crossword.  The answer is usually described at the very begining or the very end of the clue. In this case we are looking for a phrase of two three-letter  words that mean 'Rubbish'. The 'Heart of Midlothian' in the clue is there to misdirect us.  It actually has nothing to do with football. Instead we are looking for the heart (or middle) of Midlothian.   that could be 'ot'  or maybe 'loth'.  A musical is 'about it' This usually means surrounding it.  So, a 4 letter musical (HAIR) put around OT gives us HOTAIR.  Split it into the two words needed and you have Hot Air (meaning rubbish).  Cryptic crosswords are not always easy but they get easier with practice.    Just a wee bit of fun on a lock-down bank holiday.

:lol:

Far too cerebral for me on a day off

7 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

I’m struggling with a crossword clue too. Postman’s bag? 

Go on then I will oblige you 😁how many letters

Edited by jollyjams

9 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

I’m struggling with a crossword clue too. Postman’s bag? 

I'll help you

How many letters?

Thousands

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'll help you

How many letters?

Thousands

Aw you could have strung it out a bit longer 🤪

I once met the bloke that invented crosswords but I just can’t remember his name?

It was P something T something R?

14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I once met the bloke that invented crosswords but I just can’t remember his name?

It was P something T something R?

Ah the old ones are the best 😀

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

:lol:

Far too cerebral for me on a day off

Eliminate your last four words and that would do it for me.

How are you doing, G?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

How are you doing, G?

Doing well thanks, if not frustrated.

Hope you are keeping well yourself?

2 hours ago, Old Pivotonian said:

I do the Times 2 crossword most days (i.e. the quick crossword) and I find that challenging enough. Your above explanation reminds me why I never go near the cryptic one!

Bazzas right boot

Jesus, I've read that and I'm like... 

funny-pictures-suspicious-baby-airplane-spoon.jpg

J.T.F.Robertson

My apologies, Gio.

The "enquiry" was directed at Old Pivotonian, him being an acquaintance.

My fault. :(

Glad you're good, though. ;)

will-i-am-a-jambo

Not very cryptic but one of my favourite clues is: Eleven players found in a deck of cards (6).

Gorgie_Rules

I’ve never felt so thick in all my life

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time.

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I remember saying to my mum once 'l can't do cryptic crosswords, they're too hard!' She replied 'Yes you can, you just need to know the rules and how they work.' It's quite straight forward when you know how to break them down. Practice makes perfect. I've been doing at least one a day during lockdown. 

Ps it helps to have a thesaurus.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

upgotheheads
6 hours ago, Old Pivotonian said:

Well, **** me, now I know why I'm absolutely useless at crosswords. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
10 minutes ago, samgolden said:

This one had me stumped  :GGSE   *********/**** 

Scrambled eggs?

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 minutes ago, samgolden said:

Eleven players found in a deck of cards: HEARTS 

Correct!

Yip that had me stumped it was an  Edinburgh evening news Years ago, when I first started cryptic as my Dad used to do them, he  also done the Scotsman crosswords and I

think the compilers where Peter Bee and Andrew Campbell
It is correct in saying that once you start doing them no matter how many clues you answer and you look at the answers next day  you begin  to get  The way they work 

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 minutes ago, samgolden said:

Yip that had me stumped it was an  Edinburgh evening news Years ago, when I first started cryptic as my Dad used to do them, he  also done the Scotsman crosswords and I

It is correct in saying that once you start doing them no matter how many clues you answer and you look at the answers next day  you begin  to get  The way they work 

Funnily enough the colon next to the letters threw me, l thought that was part of the clue, l then read it as GCSE and thought the last word was exam! Was looking too hard at that one.

l agree you often come across the same or very similar clues over and over and you instantly get them.

will-i-am-a-jambo

Just out of interest when Bletchley Park were recruiting for code breakers during the war, one type of people they looked for were people who could solve The Times crossword within 5 minutes.

The guy who invented the cross word is buried in the cemetery opposite diggers . 
if anyone wants to visit his grave its  four across and five down 😂

I’ll get my 🧥 

Edited by Meadows

The guy who invented the cross word is buried in the cemetery opposite diggers . 
if anyone wants to visit his grave its  four across and five down

brill 

58 minutes ago, samgolden said:

Been there its dead centre in the grave yard 

glad you’ve not lost the plot ....

Old Pivotonian
7 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

How are you doing, G?

Very well considering.  I hope you are socially distancing and staying safe in Cowtown?

4 hours ago, samgolden said:

Peter Bee is well named!

J.T.F.Robertson

Very well considering.  I hope you are socially distancing and staying safe in Cowtown?

Glad to hear it.

So far so good, anyway. Pubs re-opened (restrictions applied) today so went for a couple earlier this afternoon. Was actually good outside on the patio for a bit. Beats feeling like an alkie drinking in the house.

We were down in La Paz, Mexico, for 4 months from November. Enjoyed it, but a couple of months would have sufficed for me. Still hoping to get my annual trip back home in, but on hold at the moment.

How is your pal, John? I've a bad feeling about asking that question but decided to, anyway.

I would have PM'd but not sure if you're "eligible"

Take care. 

"Good morn or evening friends,

here's your friendly announcer". 👍

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, iainmac said:

Peter Bee is well named!

Did them (or tried badly) in work days back the 80s. His were particularly frustrating.

So chuffed one day, I actually finished his. I remember, because it was the only one I ever finished.

15 hours ago, Old Pivotonian said:

That's a great description of interpreting a cryptic clue.  They are a significant pastime of mine and I find two things apply.  Firstly, i have good days and bad days.  Secondly, the more you do a particular crossword, the more familiar it becomes and easier to make headway.

I would have got this times one but it would have taken a while.

Horatio Caine
18 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

You're not Willie Miller by any chance?

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Did them (or tried badly) in work days back the 80s. His were particularly frustrating.

So chuffed one day, I actually finished his. I remember, because it was the only one I ever finished.

I used to do the Scotsman crosswords with mates at Uni in the cafeteria over coffee and toasties - it was good fun. Peter Bee is the only compiler's name that I can remember, and I assume it was because his were more difficult. Although it is quite a distinctive name.

I remember the only time I ever finished the Times Crossword. I was on a train at the time and wanted to run along the corridor shouting it out to everyone. Of course I couldn't and didn't. :(

I used to get The Scotsman every day in the 70s and 80s (when it was a decent paper) and enjoyed the crossword. I have a book of Scotsman crosswords published in 1986, the compilers were Alan Cash, Robert Conisburgh, Colin Parsons but none from Peter Bee.

Edited by Cheile

52 minutes ago, Cheile said:

I used to get The Scotsman every day in the 70s and 80s (when it was a decent paper) and enjoyed the crossword. I have a book of Scotsman crosswords published in 1986, the compilers were Alan Cash, Robert Conisburgh, Colin Parsons but none from Peter Bee.

I also used to have a go at the Scotsman one in the 70's/80's at lunch time in the office so these names all mean something to me. I never ever finished it on my own but collectively we usually managed it. The other thing was you also got used to how the individual compilers minds worked so knew what to look for on any given day.

Old Pivotonian

I remember someone telling me that Peter Bee was the pen-name of a woman compiler.  Neither wonder we could never work out what she was going on about.      On a personal note, I've not posted on here for ages and I've been bowled over with the interest my post has generated.  Thanks everyone. Having said that, we seem to have veered away a bit from HMFC and perhaps the Mods would prefer move this over to The Shed?   Just saying.