Edited by Hairdryer
Spelling

Horatio Caine
7 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

This coming Thursday marks ten weeks for clap for

carers it has been suggested this should be the final one

in my opinion I think this is the right  time and maybe have

a final one on the last Thursday of 2020 what is everyone’s opinion 

My opinion is that this Thursday is not the last of 2020.  At least I hope it's not!!!

The Real Maroonblood
35 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

My opinion is that this Thursday is not the last of 2020.  At least I hope it's not!!!

:laugh:

manaliveits105

Its a tough one - I get the impression enthusiasm fot it is fizzling out a bit - maybe reduce to once a month - doesn't lessen the upswell in support for our carers which will hopefully lead to better pay and conditions which Im sure they would appreciate more than clapping 

Mac_fae_Gillie

May as well keep it up whilst "lockdown" still a thing, but once it is eased either make it last Thursday of each month or just mark it end of year. If it puts smiles on folks faces then cool.. But the gatherings like London Bridge need to be halted.

Just now, Lord BJ said:

The originator of the idea wants it scraped over concerns it’s becoming politicised.

Too late!

Seymour M Hersh
28 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The originator of the idea wants it scraped over concerns it’s becoming politicised.

Was it not done in Spain or Italy before the yoga instructor had the lightbulb moment? 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Why is everything here such an awkward saga. 

It certainly always seems that way.

44 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

That's why I no longer do it, its losing its meaning.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Marvin said:

That's why I no longer do it, its losing its meaning.

Fair comment.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Its a tough one - I get the impression enthusiasm fot it is fizzling out a bit - maybe reduce to once a month - doesn't lessen the upswell in support for our carers which will hopefully lead to better pay and conditions which Im sure they would appreciate more than clapping 

As much as they appreciate the support, an even better gesture would be for joe public to demand that all NHS frontline staff & carers received a decent payrise, none of this 1% shit and that's the years when they actually get a payrise, which has effectively been wage cuts for the last 10 years, no, what is needed is something more realistic in recognition of the job they do and continue to do.

If enough of the public wrote to their MP's and demanded this, eventually our political representatives would have to take notice of the feeling and wishes of the British public.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Why is everything here such an awkward saga. 

Absolutely. I did it the 1st week and never done it again since. Why can’t people just make their own minds up on whether they want to participate or not, rather than it having to be this big collective decision.  

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As much as they appreciate the support, an even better gesture would be for joe public to demand that all NHS frontline staff & carers received a decent payrise, none of this 1% shit and that's the years when they actually get a payrise, which has effectively been wage cuts for the last 10 years, no, what is needed is something more realistic in recognition of the job they do and continue to do.

If enough of the public wrote to their MP's and demanded this, eventually our political representatives would have to take notice of the feeling and wishes of the British public.

I thought NHS Staff (Scotland) had agreed a 9% pay rise spread over 3 years back in 2018. Where is the 1% figure coming from?

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

I thought NHS Staff (Scotland) had agreed a 9% pay rise spread over 3 years back in 2018. Where is the 1% figure coming from?

Capped at 1% before the Scottish Government scrapped that in 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/29/scottish-government-abandons-public-sector-pay-cap

It had been at 1% for years before that date, that's what I was meaning, i just worded it wrong.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Me too. Sentimental nonsense. 

This.

Don’t want to derail the thread but I find flowers being laid where someone has passed away is similar.
Each to their own.
I think it’s nonsense.

That started after WPC Yvonne Fletcher was killed outside the Iranians.embassy.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Captain Sausage

Out of interest, are public sector pay rises something appropriate to be discussing at the moment? The private sector has (and is continuing to) been decimated by coronavirus. 

Where exactly are we meant to find these pay rises from? Just stick it on the tab?

The NHS staff have secure employment which is far more than huge swathes of the general public. Without sounding heartless, they’re doing the job they are paid to do. 

No doubt this comes over as callous, but the fallout of this will be massive and I think the NHS staff pay rises should be fairly low on the list of priorities for us when we try to return society to ‘normality’. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Out of interest, are public sector pay rises something appropriate to be discussing at the moment? The private sector has (and is continuing to) been decimated by coronavirus. 

Where exactly are we meant to find these pay rises from? Just stick it on the tab?

The NHS staff have secure employment which is far more than huge swathes of the general public. Without sounding heartless, they’re doing the job they are paid to do. 

No doubt this comes over as callous, but the fallout of this will be massive and I think the NHS staff pay rises should be fairly low on the list of priorities for us when we try to return society to ‘normality’. 

What area do you think should be priority?

Do The Dance
7 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Depends what sort of pay rise you are talking about. Anything below 3% is usually a pay cut due to inflation etc anyway.

When is the time to discuss a public sector pay rise? Nothing decent for the many for over a decade now.

Captain Sausage
6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What area do you think should be priority?

I’d probably start with the inevitable mass unemployment, followed by the decimation of the private sector (admittedly these go hand in hand) before addressing the monster addition to the deficit before I’d focus on the pay rises of those in secure employment. 

Captain Sausage
Just now, Do The Dance said:

Depends what sort of pay rise you are talking about. Anything below 3% is usually a pay cut due to inflation etc anyway.

When is the time to discuss a public sector pay rise? Nothing decent for the many for over a decade now.

As above, I’d focus on what seem to be more pressing issues before I started adding to our already massive deficit. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

I’d probably start with the inevitable mass unemployment, followed by the decimation of the private sector (admittedly these go hand in hand) before addressing the monster addition to the deficit before I’d focus on the pay rises of those in secure employment. 

You can probably rest easy as I doubt very much NHS staff will get any substantial pay rise.

Your other points are fair, particularly the private sector.

Do The Dance
4 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Yeah. They’re going to have to deal with it all. Bit of juggling. See what the future brings.

I also don’t expect there to be any pay rises handed out to any of the key workers, by the way.

Edited by Do The Dance

The Internet

I think the general consensus is that footballers should be giving up some of their wages to fund nhs pay rises.

I hope they keep it going. I take my bins out at 8pm on a Thursday and I like imagining the applause is just for me. 

11 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I think the general consensus is that footballers should be giving up some of their wages to fund nhs pay rises.

I'd be keen if MPs followed NZ's example, and took a  20% pay cut, then donated this to the  NHS.

The Lords could then back them up,  by donationg their expense allowances to the cause.

Edited by felix

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, felix said:

I'd be keen if MPs followed NZ's example, and took a  20% pay cut, then donated this to the  NHS.

The Lords could then back them up,  by donationg their expense allowances to the cause.

Hell will freeze over first.

hmfc_liam06

Did the first one, haven't done it again.

Felt it was just right to do first time, now it's like Poppygate.

Anybody clapping for key workers who votes Tory is a disgusting hypocrite.

:getout:

Edited by Cade

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

I hope they keep it going. I take my bins out at 8pm on a Thursday and I like imagining the applause is just for me. 

I remember cycling down a street at 8pm one Thursday and people were applauding, even ringing bells and blowing trumpets, it felt like I was about to win a stage in the Tour de France. I was tempted to raise my arms in appreciation of their warm applause as I crossed the finishing line. 

Seriously I think once a month is more realistic now, I've noticed in my street anyway, a lot of people are continuing to chat for a long time afterwards with kids running about and not keeping a safe distance.

been here before

Has to be kept going.

After all its all about making sure you're seen doing these sort of things rather than anything else.

It is a good decision to end it now and well done to the person who started it to recognise this

Of course it's not over but unless we have a second outbreak it is moving towards its 'end'..though the definition of end is open to question

By now it's clear the support is there and it has been shown to those who are doing a valuable service...there is a point where it is logical to accept the support is there but does not need to be shown

The Gorgie

It's a lot of shite personally. Clapping was ok, never done it my self but i understood why, it was a nice touch. Then the pots and pans came out, firework, badpipes. Set of look at me erseholes appeared on facebook turning it into strictly come ****ing dancing the other week. Really is a lot of utter pish and i say that as someone whos sister is a nurse on a covid ward 

I'll be honest, I've never clapped for the NHS and I think it's a load of pish. Fair play to those that have/do if it gives them some sense of well-being.

I've met some incredible people in the NHS through my kids and they know grateful I am for their work.

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I'll be honest, I've never clapped for the NHS and I think it's a load of pish. Fair play to those that have/do if it gives them some sense of well-being.

I've met some incredible people in the NHS through my kids and they know grateful I am for their work.

Done it a few times but I agree with your sentiments.

Doctor FinnBarr

I've managed to miss most of them due to working constant backs and its very rare I'm off  on a Thursday. The wife also is still working, 6am start Mon to Fri. Half our street are out cheering, clapping and banging pots for the NHS/Key workers which is fine and well but they forget my Mrs has to rise at 4.30 and goes to bed 9.30ish and can't get to sleep for all the twats partying in the street til about midnight. Shes hoping for crap weather this week that'll keep them all indoors.

5 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

It's a lot of shite personally. Clapping was ok, never done it my self but i understood why, it was a nice touch. Then the pots and pans came out, firework, badpipes. Set of look at me erseholes appeared on facebook turning it into strictly come ****ing dancing the other week. Really is a lot of utter pish and i say that as someone whos sister is a nurse on a covid ward 

It's for a good cause and I suppose harmless and gives folk a chance to have a blether.

I've not joined in the last couple of weeks as the NHS workers should know how valued they are by now and I include care workers as well.

Just seems to be a bit 'look at me' now same as the overboard grief when royalty or a celebrity dies.

Everything in this country has to be exaggerated out of proportion .

I might also add how is it we see these streets on TV with everyone out making a fuss yet my street it's a couple of families and a dog.

One of the reasons I stopped because I felt daft on my own.

Of course we've not been on telly yet☺

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Freudian? :)

WoolfordsHearts
7 hours ago, Cade said:

😄

Stop drinking on an empty heid.

13 hours ago, Cade said:

Nailed it. I haven't clapped once, mostly cos I forget but tbh cos I don't feel the need to join in with it as its hypocritical at its core. Bris Johnson naming his son after an NHS worker. Eff off you prick.

My sister in laws neighbour made a big sign pointing at her apartment block shaming them for not clapping!!! Genuinely, big massive sign. Her teenage son was abused when putting the bins out. "not clapped once, should be ashamed."

She's just had a double hip replacement aged 40. On the NHS. Has voted left all her life and is a huge advocate of the NHS, considering her mum was paraplegic and received care all her life following a bad accident.

I get the community feeling behind it and each to their own. But instead of clapping and thinking that makes you a hero, how about you respect the rules that are in place to protect the NHS instead of popping to the shop for a bacon roll or a paper each day.

Rant.

A Boy Named Crow

Clapping for the NHS fits perfectly with the slacktivism culture that seems to prevail these days. It costs people nothing, achieves nothing and completely falls to address the very real problems being faced by doctors and nurses all over the country. 

Have at it if you like, not for me though. 

The biggest question is. Why do we have to raise money for Children, The NHS and Ex Military through charity? It's a fecking disgrace that auld people like Cpt Tom are used as a deflection for government neglect. And we all play along.

Rant.

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The biggest question is. Why do we have to raise money for Children, The NHS and Ex Military through charity? It's a fecking disgrace that auld people like Cpt Tom are used as a deflection for government neglect. And we all play along.

Rant.

It’s fair comment.

This country seems to run on charity whether it’s animal or human charities.

Shameful.

14 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

It’s like Napoli v Lazio game down East Pilton on a Thursday night flares fire works pots pans car horns . Getting taken  too far now .

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s fair comment.

This country seems to run on charity whether it’s animal or human charities.

Shameful.

Taxation is mandatory charity.

removal of money to pay for stuff for folks who cannot afford it

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Taxation is mandatory charity.

removal of money to pay for stuff for folks who cannot afford it

Your first sentence raised a smile.

35 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

It’s like Napoli v Lazio game down East Pilton on a Thursday night flares fire works pots pans car horns . Getting taken  too far now .

That sounds great. I've got some lassie playing classical music on a piano, very averagely in my street 

Wouldn't mind some flares tbh