San Siro

ri Alban

Italian Heritage gives the go ahead for AC and Inter to demolish The San Siro and replace it was a New! 60,000 stadium.

:(

Randy Marsh

Was there a few years back.  A midweek fixture AC Milan v Chievo Verona.  The attendance was only about 20,000 and made it a very poor atmosphere.  Its outdated but still a really cool stadium. 

16 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

next door 

This mock up shows the £1.1billion redevelopment plan for the San Siro and surrounding area

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As far as I am aware, it will be on the same site, just next to the San Siro, but the current stadium will be demolished as part of that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49835972

Cheers. We housed Italian students about 20 years back. All four from Milan but two different pairs of friends. One group Milan, the other Inter. Bickered non stop for the fortnight. 😊

Visited it twice.

Once just to do the stadium tour, and the other time to watch the Milan derby. An Italian guy took us and it was a crazy experience, both in his car and at the match!

Sooperstar
23 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Was there a few years back.  A midweek fixture AC Milan v Chievo Verona.  The attendance was only about 20,000 and made it a very poor atmosphere.  Its outdated but still a really cool stadium. 

I was there the day we played Celtic at Murrayfield. Milan v Sampdoria. Probably about half full or thereabouts but the atmosphere was still brilliant.

jamtartan74

Definitely an icon stadium but had its day, was there for a Scotland game around 2005/06 and wasn’t all that impressed inside it, thought it was a bit of a mess if I’m honest. What a trip that was though 😁 🍻🍷 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Seen Scotland lose 2-0 in the san siro 

I remember the Italian ultra's fighting each other in the stands during the game. Pirlo scored twice once into Rab Douglas the 2nd into Craig Gordon. Think it was Hartley's first game for Scotland it was circa 2005.

indianajones
2 minutes ago, Rods said:

I remember the Italian ultra's fighting each other in the stands during the game. Pirlo scored twice once into Rab Douglas the 2nd into Craig Gordon. Think it was Hartley's first game for Scotland it was circa 2005.

Was this moped gate?

chester copperpot
51 minutes ago, martoon said:

On the same site? 

Obviously not. How would they ever play football? :facepalm:

Glad i got to go to a game at the San Siro last September. Was a stadium iv always wanted to go to since the 1990 world cup. Milan got beat 3-1 that night but the atmosphere before the game was great and so load for a half full stadium.

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Was this moped gate?

That was the one yeh. You there?

Some incredible scenes that night. We walked up to the stadium and my mates dad did not have a ticket. We told security that gypsies had stolen it and he got in to the stadium no bother.

Was there for Italy v Scotland c.2005? Was run down then. Class but showing its age.

1 hour ago, Rods said:

And Kenny Miller missed a couple of what I thought were stick ons at the time. 

6 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

And Kenny Miller missed a couple of what I thought were stick ons at the time. 

Yeh I seem to remember Miller missing a sitter before they scored.

He done that in a few Scotland games seem to get better with age.

It needed an upgrade and now they have a new stadium planned..built on the car park area next to the current stadium

It will be huge change to the area as well given there will be a lot of other buildings to help pay for it......I wonder if funding will be an issue given the current financial problems that exist as a result of Covid

I hope the walk up to the upper areas will be as dramatic but a few lifts would help...you need to train before starting the climb 😓

I was in the hotel opposite the stadium which is right next to the racecourse as well

indianajones
34 minutes ago, Rods said:

Some incredible scenes that night. We walked up to the stadium and my mates dad did not have a ticket. We told security that gypsies had stolen it and he got in to the stadium no bother.

I wasnt but i remember watching it on the TV and laughing at the scooter getting launched. Seemed fairly lively. What kicked it off?

Stuart Lyon

I was there a few years ago when the weren't doing so well. Crowd was poor but remember a lambretta scooter outside the barrier on the top row behind one of the goals. Brazil's Ronaldo was playing but it was towards the end of his career and he was subbed early in the second half. His replacement scored with his first touch of the ball! I think the opposition was Sienna that day. The other odd thing was we were advised to go to a branch of the bank who sponsored them to buy tickets making sure we had out passports. Walked into the bank sat down and the guy brought up a stadium seating plan on his screen and invited me to make my selection. Also had to show passport and ticket twice to get into the stadium.

maroonedinbriz

This was one of my first Scotland away games games, March 2005. We got the number 16? tram which goes from the Duomo cathedral straight to the ground. A few of us jumped on just off Duomo square. The tram was packed with Scots and locals, couldn't even raise your hands. We spent the journey trying to 'bouncy' the tram off its tracks. My pal decide he was fed up with the crush and urged us to get off on a stop a couple from the stadium. He jumped off, the rest of us couldn't even get near the door. The tram pulled away with him on the platform with a background of high rise flats and a foreground of a score or more skinheads, with camouflage trousers and leather jerkins standing just behind him. We nearly pissed ourselves. He did make it to the stadium but was not a happy bunny. The stadium itself was pretty shite as was the surrounding area, only one little cafe type place selling beer. Not in a rush to go back to MilN - however down south in Bari at the next Scotland game in Italy .........

30 minutes ago, indianajones said:

I wasnt but i remember watching it on the TV and laughing at the scooter getting launched. Seemed fairly lively. What kicked it off?

Can’t remember which teams but we heard later it was pre arranged meet for the ultras. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Rods said:

Yeh I seem to remember Miller missing a sitter before they scored.

He done that in a few Scotland games seem to get better with age.

B Ferguson dominated the midfield and we played well iirc as well. 

3 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Go on the Flying Donkeys!!

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

B Ferguson dominated the midfield and we played well iirc as well. 

Totally right I remember after the game inspite of our defeat I felt we had played well during the game and it filled me with a bit more confidence especially after the Bertie Vogts games. Their first goal was actually when Douglas was Injured and that along with the miller misses changed the game.

Great stadium from the outside a disaster inside.

Found a great wee pub a five minute walk to the ground.Great walk to the ground with the stadium looking beautiful from the outside.

Once in,it is a shithole.No other word to describe it.

The walk up to the top tiers was terrible,and the state of the facilities really bad.

Great atmosphere though.Atalanta and City game.

Edited by benny

jamtartan74
3 hours ago, Rods said:

That’s the one I was at as well was pretty crazy inside, doe a deer lasted the longest I can remember singing it at any game 😂. The ultras fighting with the big white poles was mad, that’s where our tickets were initially meant to be for until just before kick off we managed to get tickets for our end, thank **** 😂

2 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

That’s the one I was at as well was pretty crazy inside, doe a deer lasted the longest I can remember singing it at any game 😂. The ultras fighting with the big white poles was mad, that’s where our tickets were initially meant to be for until just before kick off we managed to get tickets for our end, thank **** 😂

Oh yeh the white sticks how did they get this stuff in the stadium. There was a few scots in the Italian end the ultras just fought round them lol.

15 years ago feeling old

His name is

It's an iconic stadium, like others I was there for the Scotland game in 2005. I was a bit worse for wear so don't recall the finer details of the stadium 😂

Surely they could renovate. Maybe even rebuild the main stand and fill it with hospitality ect, as I'm sure that'll be one of the reason for building a new stadium

San-siro.jpg

Geordie Jambo

I was there for inter’s first home game this season.  What a stadium (outside), inside what a pile of crap.   The toilets were like from the 80’s at best, awful catering but a great view in the stand

TorinoJambo
16 hours ago, Rods said:

Apparently it was a pre arranged battle between Inter and Hellas Verona. Why? God knows. 

5 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

Apparently it was a pre arranged battle between Inter and Hellas Verona. Why? God knows. 

I wonder what social distance pavement dancing will look like? 🤣

braveheart
16 hours ago, Rods said:

There was fighting in the bottom tier between rival Italian fans but no moped incident at the Scotland game.

ArcticJambo

:( Sad to see it go; iconic really. 

Been twice, in late 1990, once getting lucky and wee jaunt onto the pitch the day before the Wed night game vs Villa in the UEFA Cup. Groundsman took me down into the stadium and up the tight wee steps and onto the pitch, and I didn't even have to get a seeding. :thumbsup:

Next night they turned over Villa's first leg 2-0 win by putting three unanswered goals past the Brummies in front of 75K. Atmosphere was fnatastic (made up for the frustrations of the afternoon where another team that played in similar colours bombed too :arghh:) but a bit scary as the top section behind the goals (where we were) was blantantly moving along to the bouncing!  I suspect crowds with less than half the capacity these days must be quite a tame experience by comparison but I'm sure still worth a trip.  I may try to get back one last time, hopefully a derby.