New Goalkeeper(s)?

gregzy2k7

If we are in the Championship, I would rather have Jamie MacDonald than Zamal, he's on a free so he wouldn't cost anything, and his wages wouldn't be sky-high, he would probably be a good mentor for young Stone, then if we get back to the SPFL the following season, invest in someone of the calibre of McLaughlan.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Leveins Battalion

• TheBigO

• Ricardo Shillyshally

Bazzas right boot

In the championship, bobby will be Good, depending on money. 

Doyle would also be ok. 

We'll piss the championship if we keep the spine of our team(actually make an arse of it) , a good gk will be a priority in promotion or if we are as is. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Doyle would also be ok

We'll piss the championship if we keep the spine of our team(actually make an arse of it) , a good gk will be a priority in promotion or if we are as is. 

:what:

I think if we have funds for transfer fees after all this (probably unlikely) we should use the majority of them to get a decent keeper that we can use for a number of years

having a solid keeper adds confidence to the defence and continuity in this department in this area is a massive thing 

it would also allow stone to develop have some loans and not be rushed in to the first team 

5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Doyle would also be ok. 

Doyle would NOT be ok.

:cornette:

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, goldie83 said:

Doyle would NOT be ok.

We'll be scudding teams left right and centre. 

The championship is poor, he'd be fine for it. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

:what:

Championship is shite, we'll be scudding teams. 

Could have stuck me in goals for half the games last time. 

More a reflection on the overall standard of the league than Doyle being any use. 

Clerry Jambo
17 hours ago, Jake_the_Muss said:

Can't believe some would have Gordon back. Horrible **** of a man who's not even very good. Trevor Carson or wes foderingham for me. 

aye ok one of the best goalies in recent times, opinions eh!!

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Doyle would also be ok. 

Strictly IF we went down, I'd like to see us go for Gordon and bump Stone up. I don't think Bobby or Doyle are good enough at all, so why keep them around the squad any longer? We're partially in this position through both their inability to show competence (Bobby or Doyle asserts themselves, we don't sign Joel). Binning them and focusing on Stone seems better future planning than continuing with two failures. 

Gordon has a wealth of experience, has played in the Champions league, won league titles and played in the top flight down south. As far as a role model for Stone, I can't think of a better signing. Even more so on a free. His age allows for a natural transition between the two (as Stone is like, 18 atm) so by 20 could be our number 1. 

Even if we manage to get reconstruction through, there is still a good argument to following through on that. Perhaps signing a 3rd keeper as a contingency.

I suspect though, Stendel will want a very specific type of keeper and I'm not sure Gordon quite matches up with that. As I said earlier in the thread, Bain would be ideal if Celtic/Lennon would let him go. Considering their interest in Hickey, I wonder if there is a deal to be struck here (Hickey is in my view running his contract down to walk there on virtually a free, this way nets us a player a small fee potentially and a sell on). 

40 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

aye ok one of the best goalies in recent times, opinions eh!!

Craig would be someone's we could rely on for the next 3-4 years. 

Having said that if he did come back he'd no doubt be one of our highest earners and if we're in the championship for sure I can't see us spending the type of money his contract would require to get him this summer. 

Hectormasson
12 hours ago, Bauldrick said:

If we are in the Championship, I would rather have Jamie MacDonald than Zamal, he's on a free so he wouldn't cost anything, and his wages wouldn't be sky-high, he would probably be a good mentor for young Stone, then if we get back to the SPFL the following season, invest in someone of the calibre of McLaughlan.

New goalie should be our first priority signing ,   current 3 havnt got it , and should never have been signed !      More levein garbage signings !!!

13 hours ago, Bauldrick said:

I'd take Jamie Mac back.

You know what you are getting and he is a good Hearts man.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We'll be scudding teams left right and centre. 

The championship is poor, he'd be fine for it. 

You selling that confidence in a bottle because I would love some! 👍

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

You selling that confidence in a bottle because I would love some! 👍

Just going on last time, no rangers or hibs either this time. 

The championship is pretty poor standard tbh, over a season we'll be well clear. 

ICT were 2nd this season and even we scudded them in recent seasons. 

31 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I'd take Jamie Mac back.

You know what you are getting and he is a good Hearts man.

We have already let him go and the reason was he was deemed not good enough

Doyle is only here because our former manager gave him a 2 year deal and god knows why

Stone is believed the future but he needs another year to develop before challenging for the top spot....however I would have though that of Gordon when he broke into the first team

Bobby is and should be our number one...had he been in the side all season we would not be bottom...again another terrible decision by the former manager who was offered a deal and got star struck by signing a Manchester United player..had he done his homework by looking at his appearance record with former clubs and spoken to them it would have raised questions.

If we stay in the top league then we could consider a new number one but if not there is no need as a priority...oh and we should still look to move Doyle on but in todays world it will be difficult to move any player on

19 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

We have already let him go and the reason was he was deemed not good enough

Doyle is only here because our former manager gave him a 2 year deal and god knows why

Stone is believed the future but he needs another year to develop before challenging for the top spot....however I would have though that of Gordon when he broke into the first team

Bobby is and should be our number one...had he been in the side all season we would not be bottom...again another terrible decision by the former manager who was offered a deal and got star struck by signing a Manchester United player..had he done his homework by looking at his appearance record with former clubs and spoken to them it would have raised questions.

If we stay in the top league then we could consider a new number one but if not there is no need as a priority...oh and we should still look to move Doyle on but in todays world it will be difficult to move any player on

Has Stone played any first team football?

Remember how they were bigging up Jack Hamilton.............

The Scotland squad FFS.

Ainsley Harriott

If we are talking about bringing back former players Jon McLaughlin is out of contract.

26 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

If we are talking about bringing back former players Jon McLaughlin is out of contract.

I didn't realise McLaughlin was out of contract when I suggested Jamie McDonald, of course, I agree, McLaughlin would be a great signing but, maybe throw in Jamie as a back-up and get rid of Zamal and Doyle.

Foderingham might demand a high wage but if he performs it's worth it. I'd hate for us to go cheap and end up letting in silly goals. Poppadom hands last season single (no) handedly cost us at least 10 points. I'd even go as far to say it could be his fault more than any player that we're looking at being in the championship now.

Ainsley Harriott
2 hours ago, Bauldrick said:

I didn't realise McLaughlin was out of contract when I suggested Jamie McDonald, of course, I agree, McLaughlin would be a great signing but, maybe throw in Jamie as a back-up and get rid of Zamal and Doyle.

Jon's still only 33 so good few years out of him. Imagine he will have been used to decent wages at sunderland though which would makes things hard.

Hectormasson
20 hours ago, Bauldrick said:

Would like McLaughlin back, fairly safe , prob the money be the snag ?

Guest ToqueJambo
12 hours ago, goldie83 said:

Doyle would NOT be ok.

I get Doyle made that high profile mistake vs Motherwell. What other big mistakes did he make? I make it he played 11 games, we won 6 and lost 4, and he had 6 clean sheets. That's a more than decent record. Before the Well game he'd only conceded 4 goals in his previous 7 games. Edit - 12 games, conceded 11 goals and 6 clean sheets. Point still stands. He proved to be a solid stand-in.

Didn't get the seethe against him then and still don't, considering he was always signed as back-up. Plenty Hearts goalies have had mares or made mistakes like the one he did vs Well.

Edited by ToqueJambo

17 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Doyle would also be ok. 

Bobby is An alright back up nothing more and Doyle is never good enough for hearts at any level 

Consideirng the Championship teams are all going to have to get new players (with what money?) after releasing their current squad, we won't need a goalkeeper as we will win every game 10-0 as we will be playing against 16 year olds.

Bunny Munro
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I get Doyle made that high profile mistake vs Motherwell. What other big mistakes did he make? I make it he played 11 games, we won 6 and lost 4, and he had 6 clean sheets. That's a more than decent record. Before the Well game he'd only conceded 4 goals in his previous 7 games. Edit - 12 games, conceded 11 goals and 6 clean sheets. Point still stands. He proved to be a solid stand-in.

Didn't get the seethe against him then and still don't, considering he was always signed as back-up. Plenty Hearts goalies have had mares or made mistakes like the one he did vs Well.

Doyle is the luckiest keeper I've ever seen play for hearts.

He made simple mistakes in every game he played. Normally this involved fumbling a catch and dropping the ball in/around the 6 yard box. 

He is useless, every bit as had as JP.

Bobby is decent but inconsistent. If we're keeping him about No1 then Harry needs to be ready to step in for a spellz because if Zlamal makes a mistake he'll make another and another.

15 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

@Bunny Munrohas just done my reply for me. Just to add to it. I’ve went to all the tunnocks cup games over the past 2 seasons (except Ireland) and I’ve seen two huge mistakes against Ross County and he let a header in against Albion Rovers that was awful 🤦🏻‍♂️

The other team crossing the ball gave me the fear. He’s the least agile goalkeeper I’ve seen in nearly 40 years watching Hearts.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, goldie83 said:

@Bunny Munrohas just done my reply for me. Just to add to it. I’ve went to all the tunnocks cup games over the past 2 seasons (except Ireland) and I’ve seen two huge mistakes against Ross County and he let a header in against Albion Rovers that was awful 🤦🏻‍♂️

The other team crossing the ball gave me the fear. He’s the least agile goalkeeper I’ve seen in nearly 40 years watching Hearts.

Amazing he had all these clean sheets then. Far from our worse back-up goalie IMO. Considerably better than Pererra. Amazing how folk can write off players in 10 or so games.

18 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Gordon with Stone as backup. No thrills no surprises.

I think Gordon will be back regardless of what league we’re in. Think he just wants to play games and after what we’ve had to watch over the last couple of years I’m happy with that.

Tommy Brown

@CJGJ

On Jamie Mac

We have already let him go and the reason was he was deemed not good enough.

the rest of your post slags off CL for signing Doyle & Joel and dropping Bobby.

which I agree with you.

but I would contest CL was wrong on Jamie.

He was probably our top player the season before.

He signed better in Alexander, but managed him poorly.

if we are in the Championship, Jamie may be safe option.

But we are in absolute limbo just now. Is Stendel going to be in charge, if not, who? We have no Technical Director/DoF. Murray is hopefully gone, too.

Gordon, if I had the choose.

Edited by Tommy Brown

upgotheheads

Bobby and Doyle were not great goalies but they are not as bad as they are made out to be. Doyle was chopped for a blunder that cost us two points while Joel must have cost us at least 4 times that. Bobby cost us points on more than one occasion but probably saved us as many as he cost us. 

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Bobby and Doyle were not great goalies but they are not as bad as they are made out to be. Doyle was chopped for a blunder that cost us two points while Joel must have cost us at least 4 times that. Bobby cost us points on more than one occasion but probably saved us as many as he cost us. 

😆 Doyle was utterly honking, inspired 0 confidence.. 

Bobby capable of greatness but more often absolutely stupidity, cost us far more points than he won.. the goal we conceded against Livingston still gives me nightmares.. not sure I’ve ever seen worse positioning from a keeper.. the basics just aren’t there 

12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

On Doyle, I'm not sure that's strictly true.

His stats are very miniskirt.

He got away with numerous blunders. The fact a mistake isn't punished us somewhat irrelevant in a way.

The way I saw it, he was pretty crap but hard to drop cos we were doing ok(ish) and the Motherwell clanger was just the chance to get him out.

My opinion anyway.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

He got away with numerous blunders. The fact a mistake isn't punished us somewhat irrelevant in a way.

The way I saw it, he was pretty crap but hard to drop cos we were doing ok(ish) and the Motherwell clanger was just the chance to get him out.

My opinion anyway.

Spot on. Worst keeper I’ve seen at Hearts since Nelson. (I don’t count Kurskis)

2 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Ooh, Joel was worse!

31 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Joel made Doyle look like Buffon. By far and away the worst professional goalkeeper I have seen at any club. It was like when an outfield player goes in goal, you were wincing every time there was a shot on goal.

I honestly think he is biggest contributing factor to us being bottom after 30 games. CL was ultimately responsible for bringing him to the club. DS just as culpable for continuing to play him. 

upgotheheads
22 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Interesting. Nelson was poor with us but I remember watching him play for Brechin against Ayr United a few years ago. It sticks in my mind as maybe the best individual performance I have ever seen from a goalie. He was absolutely unbeatable, and he was around 42 at the time.

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Interesting. Nelson was poor with us but I remember watching him play for Brechin against Ayr United a few years ago. It sticks in my mind as maybe the best individual performance I have ever seen from a goalie. He was absolutely unbeatable, and he was around 42 at the time.

slow learner :lol:

David McCaig
41 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

My opinion anyway.

Ironically Zlamal in the 0-0 v Ross County at Tynecastle was probably the worst individual goalkeeping performance I have ever seen.  He probably used up our luck for the entire season in that one game

5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Ironically Zlamal in the 0-0 v Ross County at Tynecastle was probably the worst individual goalkeeping performance I have ever seen.  He probably used up our luck for the entire season in that one game

Ooh, Joel v Killie?

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ooh, Joel v Killie?

The Ross County game could have been 5-0

johnthomas
24 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

When we signed him many regarded him as the best young keeper in Scotland .

My impression , at that time , was that he had the ability but not the bottle

Batistuta87

No thanks on MacDonald. Certainly not as our first choice keeper anyway. Might have him as backup. Don't want Gordon either. 

I'd be pretty disappointed if we haven't at least looked into signing Hladky. Yes, the uglies along the M8 are reportedly interested but how much truth is there in that, and what do we have to lose by asking? He'd be the perfect signing - I'd honestly be over the moon if we snapped him up. Gillespie from Motherwell would be a decent shout too. Always looked solid enough against us. 

There's literally a shit tonne of keepers out of contract in Belgium, Holland and Germany too. We should show a but of out of the box thinking and approach one of these guys - we might just uncover an absolute gem of a keeper.

Edited by Batistuta87

Ideally we sign a top keeper who can start every game: Gordon, Foderingham, McLaughlin, Hladky, Siegrist, Bain etc and then sign someone like MacDonald who can step in and perform admirably if needed while not demanding too much in wages. Stone trains with these types of players for a couple years until he is ready to step into the first team. Joel, Doyle and Bobby all to be sent as far away as possible since they are the worst collective of Goalkeepers I have ever seen. 

On 23/05/2020 at 22:51, Hectormasson said:

We need a new goalie, we got to be safer and tougher all over the team, and that starts in goal,  hes been ok at times Bobby  but its time for change.

I don't see the point in signing a goalkeeper if we're in the Championship because the keeper we sign will be Championship level. Then when we are promoted, we're back to square one with a Championship level keeper in the SPFL. 

Just wait a season and when we're back in the Premier League we can sign a better standard of keeper. 🤷

If we are still in the Premier League next season. A Goalkeeper would then be a top priority.