New Goalkeeper(s)?

gregzy2k7

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

If we do end up in the Championship, in happy enough with Zlamal.

If we get saved by some reconstruction then we definitely need better. No idea who, juts whoever the manager fancies I guess; I hope we are finished with the old pals act and no more jobs for the boys.

Agree, Zlamal will be fine in the Championship. Stone as backup.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Leveins Battalion

• TheBigO

• Ricardo Shillyshally

BelgeJambo

I would have McLaughlan back.  He gives the defence confidence, not sure Bobby does, but Bobby is a character and a decent shop stopper.

That save in the semi against Inverness was special and again this season against Motherwell 

51 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Bobby is utter shite.  No danger we should take that sort of risk. 

That's just utter nonsense tbh. He's a bit dodgy. He's certainly not shite. Probably be the best keeper in the Championship tbf. 

I am quite surprised at the amount of support Bobby has. He is nowhere near good enough to be our No1 keeper. He is solid enough, but is too erratic and is a mistake waiting to happen. He can’t catch a cross, he doesn’t even try, he punches even at head height and makes our defence nervous. 
There will be better goalkeepers and cheaper out there. He has a cult following with some, but hes not good enough. For me, he is murder. 

45 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I would have McLaughlan back.  He gives the defence confidence, not sure Bobby does, but Bobby is a character and a decent shop stopper.

That save in the semi against Inverness was special and again this season against Motherwell 

Mclaughlan is a good shout too. As far as windows to nab a keeper go, we've really got no excuses. 

As far as Bobby goes, he's got another year I believe, so for the sake of having 3 keepers he's worth retaining. But would be keen to see the order be: New keeper, Stone, Bobby.

IMO Bobby has shown piss poor decision making which was why we needed to bring in a keeper (Pereira). Obviously the poor choice in replacement falls on Levein, but the need to replace in the first place is on Bobby. We need an assured goalkeeper who inspires confidence in his defenders. Bobby is not that. 

20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's just utter nonsense tbh. He's a bit dodgy. He's certainly not shite. Probably be the best keeper in the Championship tbf. 

Nah he’s gash.  I’ve had enough of gash goalies, we used to pride ourselves on having exceptional ones all the time now Bobby good enough for the Champjonship?  I’ve no idea of the standard of goalies down there so you could be right.  With Jack Hamilton and Ridgers down there probably so.  Robbie McRorie I would like to see us go for if we can’t get Gordon. 

8 minutes ago, OTT said:

Mclaughlan is a good shout too. As far as windows to nab a keeper go, we've really got no excuses. 

As far as Bobby goes, he's got another year I believe, so for the sake of having 3 keepers he's worth retaining. But would be keen to see the order be: New keeper, Stone, Bobby.

IMO Bobby has shown piss poor decision making which was why we needed to bring in a keeper (Pereira). Obviously the poor choice in replacement falls on Levein, but the need to replace in the first place is on Bobby. We need an assured goalkeeper who inspires confidence in his defenders. Bobby is not that. 

Get Bobby off the books Scottish Premiership wages for a number three? 

4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Get Bobby off the books Scottish Premiership wages for a number three? 

Getting him off the books in this climate is mission impossible I reckon. Having two experienced pros for Stone to train with though, should raise his standards. Get some value out of it at least :D 

Also, we better get that laddie (Stone) on an extension pronto. We will end up in another Hickey situation otherwise.  2021 so times a-wasting! 18 so I'm fairly certain a long term deal can be offered. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Nah he’s gash.  I’ve had enough of gash goalies, we used to pride ourselves on having exceptional ones all the time now Bobby good enough for the Champjonship?  I’ve no idea of the standard of goalies down there so you could be right.  With Jack Hamilton and Ridgers down there probably so.  Robbie McRorie I would like to see us go for if we can’t get Gordon. 

We're not going to have any money next season to sign loads of players. The squad will be made up of guys who are under contract and stay on, and youth players. 

Bobby makes mistakes but he's certainly not gash. Terrible and terrifying when coming off his line. His kicking is pretty shite but he's a brilliant shot stopper. If he makes a mistake, give the young laddie Stone a chance. 

He's not actually put a foot wrong since Pereira was dropped and he'd be miles better than anyone in the Championship. 

The goalkeeping position might be one of the top priorities in the Premier league but certainly not in the Championship. 

He'll do for a season. 

Ricardo Shillyshally

Bobby is not the answer FFS. 

If we are demoted we need to get back up ASAP and having a bomb scare in goals won't help that.

This "he'll do for the championship" chat is nonsense. He won't suddenly become a better keeper or stop making mistakes.

Admittedly, he won't face as many clever divers like Eduord, but it's clearly the No1 position (pun intended) that needs sorted.

Aye, lets sign a Championship level keeper for next season and when we get promoted to the SPFL we'll have a Championship level keeper in goals. 

:facepalm:

Or alternatively , keep Bobby for a season and when we're in the SPFL, we can sign a Premier league level keeper.. 

Hmm tough yin. 

Edited by Cruyff

Leveins Battalion
14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Aye, lets sign a Championship level keeper for next season and when we get promoted to the SPFL we'll have a Championship level keeper in goals. 

:facepalm:

Or alternatively , keep Bobby for a season and when we're in the SPFL, we can sign a Premier league level keeper.. 

Hmm tough yin. 

Bobby Zlamal is beyond hopeless 

The keeper Dundee Utd unearthed is better so your point is pretty daft.

How about just sign a good keeper?I dont know why our scouts or previous manager never thought of this.🤣🙌

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

How about just sign a good keeper?I dont know why our scouts or previous manager never thought of this.🤣🙌

Because we can't afford to. We might when we get promoted however. We should wait until then when Bobby is out of contract. 

vlad on the tyne

If we do end up in the championship and only play 18 games we need a new keeper who is not prone to errors. I dont think Doyle or zlamal are keepers we can rely on. 

So were happy keeping Bobby knowing he will make several mistakes a season, and is crap with his feet and cant catch a ball. 
Yep, hes a decent shot stopper but so are virtually the majority of keepers. Its all the other things they that make them decent. 

Bobby is a bombscare waiting to happen. What about just scouting a decent bloody goalkeeper. There will be value for money out there in the current climate. 

Bobby would do in the Championship.

But we'll be in a reconstructed top flight, and Adam Davies will be high on the list.

6 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Craig Gordon is the most logical signing that could possibly be if he’s leaving Celtic. 

Yep

Leveins Battalion
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Because we can't afford to. We might when we get promoted however. We should wait until then when Bobby is out of contract. 

Your posts are nonsense,if we get a good scouting system and management we can afford quality players.

Do not underestimate the money Levein has squandered.

We should be flying.

Bobby has contributed to the worst Hearts team in my 35 years watching them.

He is shite like most of our squad,we are bottom of the league,shite,pish,hopeless.

What is hard to understand?

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

This discussion is an indictment on out scouting team, the fact that St Mirren can find a such a drastically better keeper is evidence we need a complete overhaul of our scouting and transfer policy.  

What about Alexander and McLaughlin and the fact we went for Gilks and McGregor and were gazumped at the last minute by Rangers? Some you win, some you lose. Zlamal will be fine for the Championship if that's where we end up ad he really wasn't that bad in the first place. Some getting carried away with a couple of errors when the likes of Rousset and Smith did the same, as every goalie does. Zlamal's shot stopping saved us numerous times. As for Doyle we've had many worse back-up goalies. His clean sheet record when he did play is good.

6 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Ps. If Bobby was any good we wouldn't be bottom of the effing league.

If only folk  would realise that - he is worse than average.

Holyrood_Hearts
13 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

yer having a 😆. Our bombscare keepers of which zlamal absolutely is one are possibly the biggest reason we are where we are.. he is the best of the 3 atrocious keepers we have but Cmon

I take your point but Pereira is the biggest culprit, then Doyle ahead of Bobby imo 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Deevers said:

If only folk  would realise that - he is worse than average.

Zlamal is not great but he's not why we're bottom of the league as stated by the guy you quoted. He was dropped in August last year. Hastily IMO as we didn't have a better option. He was replaced by two worse goalies and should have been recalled sooner. It was a critically wrong decision by both Levein and Stendel not to recognise that for his faults he was the best goalie on our books meaning they should have either recalled him sooner or gone all out to sign a new goalie.

Leveins Battalion

Folk on here still defending our players🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Zlamal is a culpable as the rest of the shite that got us bottom of the league.

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Your posts are nonsense,if we get a good scouting system and management we can afford quality players.

Do not underestimate the money Levein has squandered.

We should be flying.

Bobby has contributed to the worst Hearts team in my 35 years watching them.

He is shite like most of our squad,we are bottom of the league,shite,pish,hopeless.

What is hard to understand?

Delusional. 

Im not advocating more former players but jamie macdonald would be a steady if not spectacular signing for championship. He was always reliable. He 34. Same age as bobby. 

Would rather have the st mirren boy or a.n other though.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Do you not remember 2014/15? The goalies are awful in that division. I've never seen a season where we scored so many goals including an incredible number from outside the box. The goalies (and most of the defenders) are horrific in that league. Zlamal would immediately be the best in the division despite his faults.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Im not advocating more former players but jamie macdonald would be a steady if not spectacular signing for championship. He was always reliable. He 34. Same age as bobby. 

Would rather have the st mirren boy or a.n other though.

Good shout. Also Mr Gordon.

Ricardo Shillyshally
5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Zlamal is not great but he's not why we're bottom of the league as stated by the guy you quoted. He was dropped in August last year. Hastily IMO as we didn't have a better option. He was replaced by two worse goalies and should have been recalled sooner. It was a critically wrong decision by both Levein and Stendel not to recognise that for his faults he was the best goalie on our books meaning they should have either recalled him sooner or gone all out to sign a new goalie.

If he was any good he wouldn't have been dropped and we wouldn't have been landed with that dick from Man U.

Bobby's ability seems to have been elevated by some due to the utter ineptitude of Doyle and Perineum.

allystrachan
14 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Strikers missing sitters most weeks & pereira was more of a reason we were bottom tbh.

Bobby wasn’t great but he’s the best keeper at the club currently. But that isn’t hard because the other two would be in the top 5 of out worst keepers of all time.

gerryjambo41
6 hours ago, allystrachan said:

Strikers missing sitters most weeks & pereira was more of a reason we were bottom tbh.

Bobby wasn’t great but he’s the best keeper at the club currently. But that isn’t hard because the other two would be in the top 5 of out worst keepers of all time.

I'd say quite honestly that Pereira was the worst goalie I've seen at Hearts in over fifty years of watching. Even worse than folk like Brian Wilson or Craig Nelson 🤬

Ricardo Shillyshally
27 minutes ago, gerryjambo41 said:

I'd say quite honestly that Pereira was the worst goalie I've seen at Hearts in over fifty years of watching. Even worse than folk like Brian Wilson or Craig Nelson 🤬

Absolutely agree with this.

Anyone know if Harry Stone is ready/good enough? I hope so, but our recent record of bringing through young keepers has not been good

Edited by Ricardo Shillyshally

11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Good shout. Also Mr Gordon.

Why not both? Craig 1, Jamie 2.

Cant quite believe there are people advocating keeping on any of our current lot. They clearly don’t understand the monumental difference it makes having a keeper that breeds confidence and wins points compared to a ‘aww he’ll do for now’ type. Stendel done that in January and look where it left us. 

Would be nice to have a top class goalie and a very capable number 2.

Niemi’s gloves
2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Cant quite believe there are people advocating keeping on any of our current lot. They clearly don’t understand the monumental difference it makes having a keeper that breeds confidence and wins points compared to a ‘aww he’ll do for now’ type. Stendel done that in January and look where it left us. 

Can’t quite believe there are people who don’t get the concept of contracts and how hard it will be to move players on in the current environment.

11 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Can’t quite believe there are people who don’t get the concept of contracts and how hard it will be to move players on in the current environment.

By kept on, I meant keep on playing. Are you suggesting because Zlamal has another year left that we don’t look for better?

In that case let’s just go with Bobby, Damour, White, Wighton etc just because they have existing deals.

Niemi’s gloves
4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

By kept on, I meant keep on playing. Are you suggesting because Zlamal has another year left that we don’t look for better?

In that case let’s just go with Bobby, Damour, White, Wighton etc just because they have existing deals.

Moving on players has to come first and it won’t be easy. Don’t bury your head in the sand when it comes to the financial realities that we (and other clubs) face.

2 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Moving on players has to come first and it won’t be easy. Don’t bury your head in the sand when it comes to the financial realities that we (and other clubs) face.

Well go and post on the players leaving thread. The op asked about goalies. 

Holyrood_Hearts
On 22/05/2020 at 15:50, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

That’s simply not true. Berra & Pereira (maybe even Doyle) have individually cost us more goals than Bobby this season

Holyrood_Hearts
3 hours ago, DS98 said:

What, Gordon & McDonald? How are we afford that?!

Ricardo Shillyshally
37 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

That’s simply not true. Berra & Pereira (maybe even Doyle) have individually cost us more goals than Bobby this season

You are missing the point. If he was any good he would have been a clear 1st choice before those two other jokers. They were only in because Bobby wasn't deemed good enough by more than one of our managers.

The three of them are shite. 

Holyrood_Hearts
20 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

You are missing the point. If he was any good he would have been a clear 1st choice before those two other jokers. They were only in because Bobby wasn't deemed good enough by more than one of our managers.

Ahh your point wasn’t clear. You’ve cleared it up now 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, DS98 said:

We may have to keep some of our players. That's the job of Stendel or a new manager - to get more out of players than the previous manager(s) did. It should be seen as a clean slate for all the players that are retained.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

He was a clear first choice. It's just Levein and Stendel both failed to realise that until it was too late.

Jake_the_Muss

Can't believe some would have Gordon back. Horrible **** of a man who's not even very good. Trevor Carson or wes foderingham for me. 

Pasquale for King
On 22/05/2020 at 06:26, gregzy2k7 said:

What are people's thoughts on who we should bring in to strengthen our team in the goalkeeping department? I would imagine both zlamal and doyle will both be away and thankfully edward joel pereira scissorhands too!

Will probably depend on who our manager is and other stuff like if there will even be a scottish championship league next season!? Just bored and thought it would be fun to think about.

Personally i would like to see us put in an offer for the boy clark at st johnstone(no idea what his contract situation is at the saints?) Always thought he looked decent Imo, Surely he would consider coming if we could offer to double his current wages? I would also not be against craig gordon coming back either.

I think we might struggle to get rid of those two as they have a year left.Clark is as bad if not worse than Zlamal. Gordon is a good shout.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 22/05/2020 at 08:16, Leveins Battalion said:

Our previous manager signed McLaughlin and if he'd got his way we would have had Alan McGregor in goals instead of Zlamal., who was signed after McGregor chose Rangers. That's the way it goes sometimes. Maybe Levein could have taken more time to find someone better but he was rebuilding an entire squad at that time and would have been juggling budget. The team he did build, including Zlamal, went straight to the top of the league until injuries hit. We lost more goals to defensive lapses with Zlamal in goal than down to his mistakes. As our form got worse and players got more and more nervy, he suffered like everyone else.

Rousset was thought of as a bomb scare before he came good. Henry Smith was good for a couple of high profile mistakes a season, some in very big matches. If we can find someone better great, but Zlamal is nowhere near as bad as some are making out, certainly more than fine for the Championship.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Hectormasson
On 22/05/2020 at 13:47, Cruyff said:

We need a new goalie, we got to be safer and tougher all over the team, and that starts in goal,  hes been ok at times Bobby  but its time for change.

On 23/05/2020 at 00:13, BelgeJambo said:

He is a brilliant shout, Weren't hibs trying to sign him recently because of the Ross connection? If he is available and would come back up to Scotland then he would be the top of my wanted list now.

Didn't he leave because his family are down south though and weren't willing to relocate up to Scotland? Could be wrong on that.

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

He is a brilliant shout, Weren't hibs trying to sign him recently because of the Ross connection? If he is available and would come back up to Scotland then he would be the top of my wanted list now.

Didn't he leave because his family are down south though and weren't willing to relocate up to Scotland? Could be wrong on that.

The story was his wife wanted to move back down to the North East, he didn’t rule out coming back though. He’s still only 32 so has a good few years left. . I think Hibs have Marciano and Bogdan under contract so they would be struggling to fit another GK in. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-goalkeeper-jon-mclaughlin-addresses-18206358