New Goalkeeper(s)?

gregzy2k7

What are people's thoughts on who we should bring in to strengthen our team in the goalkeeping department? I would imagine both zlamal and doyle will both be away and thankfully edward joel pereira scissorhands too!

Will probably depend on who our manager is and other stuff like if there will even be a scottish championship league next season!? Just bored and thought it would be fun to think about.

Personally i would like to see us put in an offer for the boy clark at st johnstone(no idea what his contract situation is at the saints?) Always thought he looked decent Imo, Surely he would consider coming if we could offer to double his current wages? I would also not be against craig gordon coming back either.

Edited by gregzy2k7

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Leveins Battalion

• TheBigO

• Ricardo Shillyshally

frankblack
4 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Need to know what league we are in first.

And have some clear visibility of when we will be playing football again.

Bunny Munro

I think we'll have 3 senior goalkeepers next year and they will include Bobby and Harry Stone.

Hladky or Foderingham would be good options but both probably out our budget now. Gordon will be reasonable for a season or two.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

St mirren goalie just to get it up them

This would be funny But that aside we should bring back Craig Gordon reagrdless of division I think he wants to come home. 

I like the sound of Adam Davies, ex Barnsley, now bench warmer at Stoke. Good reports from our Barnsley pals on here.

Ann Budge very personally keen to get Craig Gordon back. Can only think that's Levein influence. Not against it, but would need to be Dan's decision (I'm going with assumption Stendel is staying until confirmed otherwise)

A dependable goalie would make a huge, huge difference to us. We'd be well clear of the shit if we had one. HUGE failing of the Levein regime.

For anyone who has played at any level, you'll know the difference a goalie makes. It's not about just stopping the ball, it's about breathing confidence through your team. Our defence were nervous wrecks and a big part of that was due to this imo. Put big John Mclaughlin behind Souttar and Halkett and they'd be different players, I'm sure of it. You're so desperate not to let someone shoot, you forget to defend properly, concentration is all wrong and everything a bit desperate.

If we do end up in the Championship, in happy enough with Zlamal.

If we get saved by some reconstruction then we definitely need better. No idea who, juts whoever the manager fancies I guess; I hope we are finished with the old pals act and no more jobs for the boys.

with the amount of players who will end up out of contract due to covid 19 as teams really trim their squads due to either the loss of money or potentially not playing for some of the season there will be some decent free agents. if players are struggling to get signed because of it we would even in the championship be a good move for them even if it was just a one year contract

46 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

This. Free agent and decent keeper.

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If we do end up in the Championship, in happy enough with Zlamal.

If we get saved by some reconstruction then we definitely need better. No idea who, juts whoever the manager fancies I guess; I hope we are finished with the old pals act and no more jobs for the boys.

yer having a 😆. Our bombscare keepers of which zlamal absolutely is one are possibly the biggest reason we are where we are.. he is the best of the 3 atrocious keepers we have but Cmon

TyphoonJambo
11 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

This. Free agent and decent keeper.

Would Stanton myself if we nicked him for free😁😁😁

59 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Completely overlooked him tbf he would be a very decent option! Can't be earning much in paisley either?

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

yer having a 😆. Our bombscare keepers of which zlamal absolutely is one are possibly the biggest reason we are where we are.. he is the best of the 3 atrocious keepers we have but Cmon

As much as I like Bobby (woah there!), this is about right. Best of a relegation-inducingly bad bunch.

Bobby's a good back up, happy with that if Harry Stone still a season or two away from that responsibility.

Gordon for me. Could be player coach. Bobby as back up and hopefully loan out Doyle. Can see Hladky going to rangers as number 2

5 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Completely overlooked him tbf he would be a very decent option! Can't be earning much in paisley either?

i think rangers want him

1 hour ago, Hood09 said:

And just have him in the reserves, to really get it up them. 

:pleased:

2 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

Would anyone take Wes foderingham if wages are not a problem 

Would take him. Better than what we currently have.

If we had had a McLaughlan, Kello, Gordon, Niemi, Rosset, Cruickshank, we would be holders of the SC and still be in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Ann Budge very personally keen to get Craig Gordon back. Can only think that's Levein influence. Not against it, but would need to be Dan's decision (I'm going with assumption Stendel is staying until confirmed otherwise)

Would Gordon fit into the Stendel philosophy of playing from the back? Kicking has never been the strongest part of Craig's game but he's got a good arm so maybe more of a quick-release keeper than a quasi-sweeper.

Keeping the ball out of the net is obviously the number 1 priority and I can't envisage Gordon doing a worse job than Pereira.

king.Robbo

If harry Stone is ready then building again via youth Is way to go...

don’t want repeat of hopeful punts on foreigners especially in goal !!!!

TyphoonJambo
33 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

If we had had a McLaughlan, Kello, Gordon, Niemi, Rosset, Cruickshank, we would be holders of the SC and still be in the Premier League.

Would fit the CL model, 6 goalies 

Batistuta87

Hladky would be the perfect signing. We know he can do a job in Scotland, he's not going to be on a massive wage, and he'd likely be open to the move as despite recent events we are still a much bigger club. Gillespie from Motherwell is another shout but probably earning a bit more. I think Fodderhingham will be out of our price range. He's been on stupid money at Rangers and will need to move back down south to get anything like the same amount. 

If we're in the Championship and do sign Hladky/Gillesplie/another 1st choice keeper then there's really no point in spending the money on releasing and replacing Zlamal. We may as well keep him for the last year of his contract as backup, and bring Stone up from the youth side to give us a 3rd option... 

Edited by Batistuta87

Famous 1874

Gordon / Hladky

Zlamal

Stone*

*If Stone is too far away from getting games, otherwise I’d have him second choice and punt Bobby

If we are relegated/expelled then this could be the perfect opportunity to throw Stone in at the deep end and give him some first team exposure.

I'd really like to see us try and get Scott Bain. Probably a tall order given the wages, but he's exactly the sort of keeper Stendel needs. Sweeper keeper and solid shot stopper. Lennon hates us and is embarrassingly petty, though. So a non-starter.. probably. I'd say though, Hickey looks to be running his contract down IMO so he can walk to Celtic on essentially a free. If we could sort out some kind of deal where we get a sell on fee plus Bain, I'd take that in a heart beat. Bain has free reign at the #1 spot for the national team if he gets first team football. We could get the next 5/6 years out of him no bother. Forster is a cert to stay at Celtic, and I think Celtic are doing Bain no favours by keeping him. Lennon likes more traditional keepers, whilst Bain was clearly a Rodgers signing for his expectations of a keeper. 

Gordon would obviously be an option. His age is actually a good thing in relation to bridging the gap for Harry Stone. Gordon gets next season and Stone gets early cup rounds before it being built up over a gradual hand over. 

Adam Davies is always an option since there is a Stendel link. Wages are possibly an issue, but O'Neil is there so maybe some sort of agreement could be reached (Smith - Davies, straight swap?). 

St Mirren keeper seems decent, rated highly and cheap. 

Some good options. From a youth development perspective Gordon seems the best choice. Bain allows us to get some value out of Hickey before he goes west (if a deal could be struck), Davies knows Stendel which could be huge for getting the defence situation sorted. Hladky cheap and quality by all accounts. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Thankfully Edward Scissorhands is away. I could have done a better job wearing oven gloves. The other 2 clusters need to be emptied as well. I think there will be a decent market opening up for keepers, by god though, see if we can actually scout one, rather than watching "best of" clips and relying on old pals bad advice.

Thoughts on Wes Foderingham  just released by Sevco?  He was pretty good before replaced by McGregor.

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

You know what you are absolutely right 😭😭

mcloughlin wouldn’t have made any of the errors Zlamal did that day

11 minutes ago, Monsignor said:

Thoughts on Wes Foderingham  just released by Sevco?  He was pretty good before replaced by McGregor.

Yep would take him. We’re in a position where we have a collection of the worst keepers we’ve had since I can remember. And he’s an upgrade on what we have. Plus he’s free 🤑

PapaShango

Not signing a keeper in January IMO is what has us bottom of the league. Having someone decent would have saved us 4 points no doubt about it. TBH putting Zlamal in before we did would have saved us. 

Has to be one of the first priorities for us if we are in the top flight. I think Bobby will probably be ok for the Championship although I would like a new keeper asap. 

This discussion is an indictment on out scouting team, the fact that St Mirren can find a such a drastically better keeper is evidence we need a complete overhaul of our scouting and transfer policy.  

18Jambo_dave74

Two new goalkeepers has to be the target - certainly getting in a new no1 is essential. 

Doyle is a dreadful goalkeeper and we should look to offload him although that would mean finding a club willing to take him. Zlamal is the 'best' of our goalies as he is actually capable of making some saves but again, we should be trying to find him a new club or at worst keeping him on as second choice. 

I've never seen Harry Stone play and have only read reports, if he is capable of stepping up to the first team squad then that would be great. 

Leveins Battalion

We need to appoint new management and complete support system ie scouting,fitness coaches before we even remotely think about putting any player on a contract.

This is why its baffling that Brandon and Moore are offered new deals,say a new manager comes in and doesnt fancy them? 

Still Hearts do nothing the right way.

jambo-in-furness

There’s no point in trying to sign anyone until we find out when football is going to resume.

Hectormasson
9 minutes ago, Rooster20 said:

This discussion is an indictment on out scouting team, the fact that St Mirren can find a such a drastically better keeper is evidence we need a complete overhaul of our scouting and transfer policy.  

Correct....

Lone Striker
21 minutes ago, Rooster20 said:

Very much so .... and not just evidenced by the goalkeeper position.    Daniel (or whoever succeeds him as manager) needs to be given an urgent objective to sort this part of the club out. 

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

This would be funny But that aside we should bring back Craig Gordon reagrdless of division I think he wants to come home. 

This 

it’s a no brainier 

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Monsignor said:

Don't think we could afford his wages. 

19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If we're playing in the Championship, Bobby and Harry Stone will do. 

Bobby is utter shite.  No danger we should take that sort of risk. 

alicante jambo
5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Agree this is the worst batch of keepers we have ever had. Sort this position out first please.

alicante jambo
1 hour ago, Rooster20 said:

This 100%.