Austrian lager

iantjambo

I’m looking for a single bottle of a good Austrian lager. Reason is, I’m creature of habit and normally just drink Tennents ( I know, I know). I‘ve decided that this Friday I’m going to take a wee trip through Europe. I have lager from Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium and France before heading back across the channel to the UK.

I would like to get an Austrian bottle just to link up the journey. Any idea of a decent lager and where to buy it?

Over to you lager connoisseurs :)

highlandjambo3

By the time you get through all that European lager you’ll be to schindlers list to care about the Ozzie stuff 😁

14 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

By the time you get through all that European lager you’ll be to schindlers list to care about the Ozzie stuff 😁

:lol:

If it goes to plan then Austria will be my second country so won’t be pissed by then. I’ll probably fall face down into the channel by the time I make it to France though :lol:

highlandjambo3

Austria.....Australia.....doh 🙄.  In my defence I am sitting in my garden with the sun belting fully into my coupon....... contemplating beer or dark fruit cider at the moment.......

my hammock........

03F77D70-0DC8-4A07-A781-91571D02611F.jpeg

Jambo-Jimbo

Stiegl & Zipfer are not too bad, if you can get them, I tend to find Austrian beer not that easy to get in the UK, those two however you might be able to pick up in a supermarket, especially the Zipfer, it's usually got a silver & blue label around the neck of the bottle only.

Auld Reekin'

Of the mainstream ones, Gösser is decent as is Zipfer. However, the last time I was in Austria was getting-on for 20 years ago, so there will no-doubt be a wide range of beers from smaller / craft breweries available too. It's a big brewing and beer-drinking country with many beers you don't really see outside Austria. I certainly never tasted a "bad" beer on my visits there, just some that I preferred less than others.

Auld Reekin'
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Stiegl & Zipfer are not too bad, if you can get them, I tend to find Austrian beer not that easy to get in the UK, those two however you might be able to pick up in a supermarket, especially the Zipfer, it's usually got a silver & blue label around the neck of the bottle only.

Ja, und Stiegl also...   :icon14:

Rick James

Until this thread, it just dawned on me that I've never seen or had Austrian beer.

Puntigamer is the only one I've heard of.

Jambo-Jimbo
13 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Of the mainstream ones, Gösser is decent as is Zipfer. However, the last time I was in Austria was getting-on for 20 years ago, so there will no-doubt be a wide range of beers from smaller / craft breweries available too. It's a big brewing and beer-drinking country with many beers you don't really see outside Austria. I certainly never tasted a "bad" beer on my visits there, just some that I preferred less than others.

Was in Vienna last September and managed to try 23 Austrian beers, most if not all you can't get in the UK.

There was a brewpub the Beaver Brewing Company just around the corner from where we were staying (which was handy), brewed all their beer on the premises, tried 8 there in all, excellent stuff.

Another craft brewery was the Salm Brewery, at the bottom of the Belvedere Gardens, again really good stuff, I got a sample tray with 5 different beers, 4 different types of lager, Pils, Hellas, Marzen & Dunkel and a wheat beer, excellent again and the view wasn't bad as well, all the waitresses were dressed in traditional Austrian dress you know the ones with the very low cut tops, how those lassies managed not to spill anything, of course I mean the beer.  :whistling:  

25 minutes ago, Locky said:

Until this thread, it just dawned on me that I've never seen or had Austrian beer.

Ive been to austria and its quite possible i havnt had one. None of the brands ring a bell anyway!

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

Lager is the Hibs of alcoholic drinks.

Top notch input as always 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Well, you’ve heard of one more than me, then.  :sad:

Don't think I’ve even considered Austria having a beer.

5 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I’m looking for a single bottle of a good Austrian lager. Reason is, I’m creature of habit and normally just drink Tennents ( I know, I know). I‘ve decided that this Friday I’m going to take a wee trip through Europe. I have lager from Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium and France before heading back across the channel to the UK.

I would like to get an Austrian bottle just to link up the journey. Any idea of a decent lager and where to buy it?

Over to you lager connoisseurs :)

Sounds good fun, Ian.  👍

Two things:  I’d be interested to know what French and Italian lagers you’ll be sampling?  And, have you just missed Spain by accident, or was it deliberate?

Spain produces my favourite lagers btw.

frankblack
3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Austria.....Australia.....doh 🙄.  In my defence I am sitting in my garden with the sun belting fully into my coupon....... contemplating beer or dark fruit cider at the moment.......

my hammock........

03F77D70-0DC8-4A07-A781-91571D02611F.jpeg

giphy.gif

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was in Vienna last September and managed to try 23 Austrian beers, most if not all you can't get in the UK.

There was a brewpub the Beaver Brewing Company just around the corner from where we were staying (which was handy), brewed all their beer on the premises, tried 8 there in all, excellent stuff.

Another craft brewery was the Salm Brewery, at the bottom of the Belvedere Gardens, again really good stuff, I got a sample tray with 5 different beers, 4 different types of lager, Pils, Hellas, Marzen & Dunkel and a wheat beer, excellent again and the view wasn't bad as well, all the waitresses were dressed in traditional Austrian dress you know the ones with the very low cut tops, how those lassies managed not to spill anything, of course I mean the beer.  :whistling:  

:)

All sounds great - I really must get back there soon. Vienna's a great city...

If you're into a wee drop of wine, a visit to Vienna in the autumn is just the job. In some of the outlying districts (Grinzing being a good example) the Heuriger wine-gardens (run by family wine-producers) open up and serve their wine from the previous year and some of this year's wine in the form of the still-fermenting 'sturm' (particularly if you're very keen to get very pished!). All food served should also be home-prepared. There is sometimes live polka music which adds to the general jollity.

All-in-all, a very agreeable way to spend an warm autumn afternoon!   :thumbsup:

Ausgsteckt.jpg   

vienna-wurstelstand-heurige-other-world-

Rick James
3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Ive been to austria and its quite possible i havnt had one. None of the brands ring a bell anyway!

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Well, you’ve heard of one more than me, then.  :sad:

Don't think I’ve even considered Austria having a beer.

I only know of Puntigamer because they sponsored Sturm Graz for years. Sure they've sponsored a few other teams too. Maybe even Austria Wien when we played them?

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Sounds good fun, Ian.  👍

Two things:  I’d be interested to know what French and Italian lagers you’ll be sampling?  And, have you just missed Spain by accident, or was it deliberate?

Spain produces my favourite lagers btw.

Italian is Birra Moretti and just a basic Kronenbourg 1664 for France. 
I might pick up a Spanish lager as well. What would you recommend?

47 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Super bock = portugal

Mythos = greece

Efes = Turkey

All nice and available in the large supermarkets.

They are the tennents of their nations but thats fine by me. I'll drink an ipa or go to local craft brewery but like you i enjoy a tennents or lager.

47 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Super bock = portugal

Mythos = greece

Efes = Turkey

They are the tennents of their nations but thats fine by me. I'll drink an ipa or go to local craft brewery but like you i enjoy a tennents or lager.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

:)

All sounds great - I really must get back there soon. Vienna's a great city...

If you're into a wee drop of wine, a visit to Vienna in the autumn is just the job. In some of the outlying districts (Grinzing being a good example) the Heuriger wine-gardens (run by family wine-producers) open up and serve their wine from the previous year and some of this year's wine in the form of the still-fermenting 'sturm' (particularly if you're very keen to get very pished!). All food served should also be home-prepared. There is sometimes live polka music which adds to the general jollity.

All-in-all, a very agreeable way to spend an warm autumn afternoon!   :thumbsup:

Ausgsteckt.jpg   

vienna-wurstelstand-heurige-other-world-

That would suit Mrs JJ as she's a wine drinker, not for me although we did a wine tasting on Santorini, pretty good and that's coming from someone who couldn't tell you the difference between one grape variety from the other, Mrs JJ would, but me, no.

20 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Super bock = portugal

Mythos = greece

Efes = Turkey

You trying to get me steamboats? :lol:

I’ll keep an eye out for them though 👍🏻

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Moretti is my ‘middle of the road’ Italian beer.  My best, by a wee mile, is Nastro Azzurro.  The 5.1% ABV stuff, not the 4.6% they fob you off with in Edinburgh.  

Menabrea is hard to come by, but superb if you can source it.

Kronenbourg 1664 is a great choice. :thumbsup:

Kronenbourg also do a ‘basic’ lager here (4.2%) and it’s pretty poor.

Spanish lagers?  My top four  are San Miguel, Estrella Damm, Cruzcampo and Mahou.  Once again, don’t take the weak version of these, if you can help it.

Have a good ‘European tour’ on Friday, Ian. 

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Moretti is my ‘middle of the road’ Italian beer.  My best, by a wee mile, is Nastro Azzurro.  The 5.1% ABV stuff, not the 4.6% they fob you off with in Edinburgh.  

Spanish lagers?  My top four  are San Miguel, Estrella Damm, Cruzcampo and Mahou.  Once again, don’t take the weak version of these, if you can help it.

Again, I’ll keep an eye out for what I can find. Cheers for your input Morgan 👍🏻

The hangover on Saturday will probably tell the story 😁

2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Again, I’ll keep an eye out for what I can find. Cheers for your input Morgan 👍🏻

The hangover on Saturday will probably tell the story 😁

I’ll phone you at 6.30am sharp, Saturday morning.  :2thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’ll phone you at 6.30am sharp, Saturday morning.  :2thumbsup:

Good luck with that 🤣

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Aye. 

Nothing better on a hot day in Spain. Bottled for me, though. Draught just isn't the same. 

Jambo-Jimbo
10 hours ago, Morgan said:

Alhambra & Moritz are decent as well and there are an increasing number of craft breweries opening up (well were), Ambar in Zaragoza & the Basqueland Brewing Project in Gipuzkoa are two which I've had a few beers from and was impressed with.

Best pint of Italian beer I've ever had has to have been an ice cold Peroni Nastro Azzurro at a small cafe in Rome called Bar Rossi on the Via Cavour just up from the Colosseum, utterly stunning pint, mind it being about 36c hot outside and we were all gasping on a drink might have had something to do with how good it went down, first one didn't last long, we took our time over the second one. 😄

N Lincs Jambo

Lived in and around Vienna for over a year mid 80s. My favourite pint was Ottakringer Gold Fassl Bier. Very nice 🍺 

Left Russia and just arrived in Poland.

Russian beer (Baltika) wasn’t bad, fairly standard.

The Polish beer (Tyskie) is nice though.

Jambo-Jimbo
51 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

What number was it, 2, 3, 5, or 7?

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

What number was it, 2, 3, 5, or 7?

Nyet 😁

And it was 7

Edited by iantjambo

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Try Zwiec next time you "go to Poland". There's a cracking Slovakian beer called Zlaty Bazant (Golden Pheasant) which is worth keeping an eye out for. Not a fan of Baltika - very "standard" indeed.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Try Zwiec next time you "go to Poland". There's a cracking Slovakian beer called Zlaty Bazant (Golden Pheasant) which is worth keeping an eye out for. Not a fan of Baltika - very "standard" indeed.

Good choice Zwiec & Zlaty Bazant, I've got a Zwiec glass up in the attic, was brought over from Poland for me, glass is really thin, so it's not used.

Baltika is Calsberg owned, so enough said.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Where's next after Poland?

I’ve been to Czech Republic 🇨🇿 and heading towards Italy. Second Czech beer for the road since I couldn’t find an Austrian one.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

I’ve been to Czech Republic 🇨🇿 and heading towards Italy. Second Czech beer for the road since I couldn’t find an Austrian one.

Well you need something for the journey, thirsty work this travelling malarkey, well that's my excuse usually. 😄

Me, I'm just sticking to McEwans Champion tonight, got several bottles, but probably stop after two or three or I'll be at the bog every two minutes. 🤣

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Well, Rudi certainly isn't a bad substitute to bring on if Tam is unavailable for selection!  :icon14:   🍺

7 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Enjoy your Moretti.

Keep us posted, for as long as you can type.  :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Where's next after Poland?

Hi, Adolf.  :wavey: