Column about Hearts in Dundee Paper

Highlander

Highlander

Happy Demolition Day Everyone,

Some pals on here know I am a columnist for the Evening Telegraph in Dundee - the Dundee equivalent of the Evening News. One of the boys I travel to games with said I should stick this on here, so here it is. 

Yesterday, the column was on the SPFL resolution and I explained why, despite the bruising decision, I think we will ultimately weather the storm while other teams might not. 

https://ewangurr.scot/2020/05/18/in-what-state-shall-football-return/ - I have posted the link to my personal site because a new paywall has recently emerged on the newspaper's website. 

I also made sure I put a wee mention in about today's historic anniversary! To all those who are raising a toast along with me today... 

Cheers!

HHGH.

alicante jambo
1 hour ago, Highlander said:

Some pals on here know I am a columnist for the Evening Telegraph in Dundee - the Dundee equivalent of the Evening News. One of the boys I travel to games with said I should stick this on here, so here it is. 

Yesterday, the column was on the SPFL resolution and I explained why, despite the bruising decision, I think we will ultimately weather the storm while other teams might not. 

https://ewangurr.scot/2020/05/18/in-what-state-shall-football-return/ - I have posted the link to my personal site because a new paywall has recently emerged on the newspaper's website. 

I also made sure I put a wee mention in about today's historic anniversary! To all those who are raising a toast along with me today... 

Cheers!

HHGH.

Nice read there mate .

2 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Cheers!

HHGH.

Morally bankrupt our Vlad ?

Controversial.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, jake said:

Controversial.

And not the time for reconstruction. 

Problem with Hearts fans, far too nice 

John Findlay

I think you played to your readership in that opinion piece. It was very soft centred, imho.

Highlander
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I think you played to your readership in that opinion piece. It was very soft centred, imho.

Aye, I agree. 450 words doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

I was up to over 500 words by the time I said the away end at Dens could well be empty next season and made a reference to the year that we do not mention around these here parts. 

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, Highlander said:

I was up to over 500 words by the time I said the away end at Dens could well be empty next season and made a reference to the year that we do not mention around these here parts. 

👍

Psychedelicropcircle

Who got to write the column we’re diddy-Dee voted their dear neighbours up & happily gave up any playoff hopes ?

imagine us voting for hibs to be champs🤮

J.T.F.Robertson

If time can be found "in the midst of a global pandemic" to prematurely expel us, thereby leaving us in a state of sporting and economic peril, I genuinely fail to grasp how it cannot be "squeezed in" to look at a more empathetic solution. Really!!

This did not have to happen. Is this the sum total of their imagination and how he "earns" his 388 grand? (rhetorical)

lost in leith
4 hours ago, jake said:

Controversial.

Of course he was (or is, as he may well still be alive).

Vlad understood some of the issues with Scottish football.  In particular, how David Murray had power over the media, and used his friends in the banking industry to further his interests and those of the Huns. Being a man with a giant ego Vlad seemed to think he could fight a war without allies and still win.  If he had tried to find allies he might have been disappointed, as Scottish football has been full of men who sold their principles (if they had any) for a blazer.  However,I'm not convinced that he tried very hard!

Highlander

Out of interest, how many fans, who used to attend games at Dens, actually intend to travel to them for future fixtures following this debacle?

I was speaking to Jim Spence last week who told me he has spoke to a lot of Hearts fans he knows who have said they plan to snub the Dens fixture. 

14 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Out of interest, how many fans, who used to attend games at Dens, actually intend to travel to them for future fixtures following this debacle?

I was speaking to Jim Spence last week who told me he has spoke to a lot of Hearts fans he knows who have said they plan to snub the Dens fixture. 

I live in the West End, and will be very much planning to still go to Dens if we are in the same league as them.  An away game at home?  Sorted.

brunoatemyhamster

Is there a Giovanni De Stefano cornette face for this sort of article? 

Or a Ron Dixon one for the older lurkers?

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

airdriejambo3

Remarkable a Dundee paper would print thisgood piece while that stinking hobbo rag, even their Hearts column is written by a legend who seems to only ever write negative hit pieces.

2 hours ago, Highlander said:

I won’t set foot in that shit tip again 

I’ll go as far as to say I hope they go bust 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 19/05/2020 at 16:54, Highlander said:

450 words is a tough gig

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, Highlander said:

Probably 1 in 2, but I won't go anywhere now. 

Only Jambo £££££ for me from here

4 hours ago, tian447 said:

I live in the West End, and will be very much planning to still go to Dens if we are in the same league as them.  An away game at home?  Sorted.

What if the club backs the fans appetite for boycott and either refuse tickets or encourage fans to donate ticket money to the FoH? Am on a group chat with about 10 hearts boys and everyone has agreed we won’t attend any away matches (when we can) other than Caley. 

Old Pivotonian
4 hours ago, Highlander said:

It may be some time before I go to another away game (ICT and Partick excepted).  However, I will probably never attend another football match at Dens Park again.    I've Better things to spend my money on than that weaselly wee club.

Forza Cuore

Will never set foot in that shitehole again. I'd rather wipe my arse with the money than give a penny to Dundee.

1 hour ago, Forza Cuore said:

Will never set foot in that shitehole again. I'd rather wipe my arse with the money than give a penny to Dundee.

Just set up a one-off payment to FoH, two boxes ticked with one payment. 

Highlander

I'm inclined to go with the consensus here. I do not think I could bring myself to go to Dens next year. I am a big fan of away games. I love the atmosphere, as there always tends to be a higher volume, and I enjoy seeing other grounds but I would much rather stick the value of a Dens ticket into the Foundation than attend Dens next season. 

I should also add for anyone who is interested, Dundee West MP Chris Law is also a Jambo!

He told me recently he gets heckled by Dundee fans anytime he gets the train to Tynecastle. 

Peakybunnet

I have lived in Dundee and now just outside for 6 years, Been to a few away games at both Dens and  Tannadice since but have no intention of going back to Dens ever. (I also said that in 86) Have a lot of friends that support Dundee and the last game I went to I sat in the home end, but not a chance am i paying them a dime again. 

Highlander
46 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

I have lived in Dundee and now just outside for 6 years, Been to a few away games at both Dens and  Tannadice since but have no intention of going back to Dens ever. (I also said that in 86) Have a lot of friends that support Dundee and the last game I went to I sat in the home end, but not a chance am i paying them a dime again. 

I had some content in the column about the year we choose to mention around here but had to trim it back due to the word count.

I was even more sad I had trim a section where I talked about the two games at Easter Road in 2013/14 season. The first they won 2-1 when they were mid-table at New Year and the second we won 2-1 but, at the first, the Hibs sang: "Hearts are going down." At the second, we sang: "The Hibs are going down" and, lo and behold, only about three games later they did.

The seethe would have been profound for any Hibees reading it if I had mentioned to keep that section in. 

:seething:

Usually just read the threads , rarely post , however I have always liked a wee away day to Dundee even after 86 although it was difficult for many years. 

Might go to United if the occasion occurs, but will probably pass on most away trips and focus only on giving to HMFC. I have always looked out for some hearts supporting relatives who live in Dundee , having moved from Edinburgh some years ago ,assuming they were probably at the game, but never saw them . I think the last time I met them was the league cup final against St Mirren got Dennis his ticket I think. Canny remember if I saw you , think you were in other section. 

Good article , like you say 450 words is a tough ask when it comes to the hearts and the current situation .I would struggle with 4500 and that would probably only cover levein and our post administration signing policy.

Never mind onwards and upwards , increase the FOH pledge and continue to support the one common thread which binds us together. 

Highlander
On 21/05/2020 at 21:03, Malaguena said:

Usually just read the threads , rarely post , however I have always liked a wee away day to Dundee even after 86 although it was difficult for many years. 

Might go to United if the occasion occurs, but will probably pass on most away trips and focus only on giving to HMFC. I have always looked out for some hearts supporting relatives who live in Dundee , having moved from Edinburgh some years ago ,assuming they were probably at the game, but never saw them . I think the last time I met them was the league cup final against St Mirren got Dennis his ticket I think. Canny remember if I saw you , think you were in other section. 

Good article , like you say 450 words is a tough ask when it comes to the hearts and the current situation .I would struggle with 4500 and that would probably only cover levein and our post administration signing policy.

Never mind onwards and upwards , increase the FOH pledge and continue to support the one common thread which binds us together. 

Dennis and his beloved were about 10/15 rows behind us at the St Mirren Final - I think we travelled to the game with them that day. 

Is this you Duncan? The last time I saw you was at Dens about two years ago. Me and my old man saw you walking out at the end. He ran down to try and catch you but we were right at the top of the stand so he couldn't catch you in time. You are welcome to mine for a pre-match beverage next time you are in the 'Dee. I live walking distance from both grounds and I'll definitely join you for the game at Tannadice!

Hectormasson
On 20/05/2020 at 16:29, Highlander said:

Shithole of  place anyway,   always has been  with the exception of watching hearts play there , don't think  I'd be there for any other reason ?   Same as most hearts fans " good riddance to the place ,,,,,,

Good riddance to them indeed. Like the vermin and st Mirren they are a club I hate, Pity, look down on and have zero time for. Hopefully all 3 go tits up

Flow State

Great question. I'm at university through here and ordinarily the away days at Dens, Tannadice and Perth would be stick ons for me. Is there a strong chance the away end at Dens will be completely empty? 

On 20/05/2020 at 16:44, tian447 said:

Excellent, you can represent the rest of us then.

Restonbabe

Sitting here right now I can categorically say I won't. 

It will be at least 2 years before any of us will be able to attend in the same capacity as before. 

Time is a great healer. I'd love nothing more to return to Dens Park, stand and shout abuse at the club for allowing the vote to pass. Take 3 points (or a cup win) and return home. 

Imangine the 1st away game of a new season away to Dens. 

Could you force yourself not to go 

Fort Vallance
18 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Sitting here right now I can categorically say I won't. 

It will be at least 2 years before any of us will be able to attend in the same capacity as before. 

Time is a great healer. I'd love nothing more to return to Dens Park, stand and shout abuse at the club for allowing the vote to pass. Take 3 points (or a cup win) and return home. 

Imangine the 1st away game of a new season away to Dens. 

Could you force yourself not to go 

You wouldn't put it past the SPFL to arrange it that way. 

49 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

Excellent, you can represent the rest of us then.

Fine by me, I won't be the only one.

Hearts will still get more than their fair share of money out of me, for Home Games, Cup Games, stuff out of the club shop, and one or two trips to hospitality.

Hopefully, we won't even have to visit Dens, and it'll be Tannadice instead.

Highlander
3 hours ago, Flow State said:

Great question. I'm at university through here and ordinarily the away days at Dens, Tannadice and Perth would be stick ons for me. Is there a strong chance the away end at Dens will be completely empty? 

No, it won't be empty by any stretch but, for me, the bottom line is this: Dundee used its decisive vote to shaft us. Therefore, the best thing I can do is to starve their club of vital resource, even though it is less than a five minute walk from my home, by refusing to buy tickets for me, my old man and my wee boy as well as bovrils and pies. Fans are welcome to do as they please, we live in a democracy, but it is an issue of principle for me. How can I, in any good conscience, pour resource into a club that tried to starve resource from my own? That was the motivation for asking the question.

This is not you necessarily Flow but certainly some on here forget that the vast majority of supporters are not on Jambos Kickback and, as my uncle reminded me this week, some are not even aware of its existence. And while most will make up their minds regarding away trips without consulting on here, the likelihood of widespread consensus over non-attendance is unlikely. Hearts generally bring a strong away support, even in perilous times,  but I think a swathe of the resolute over the dubious Dundee decision will buckle at the last minute in the face of a trip to a rival city and likely away win. 

Edited by Highlander

Turkishcap

Read an online article in the Courier a few days ago some journo saying Dundee could well have a head start on Hearts this season blah blah disarray etc......are they being promoted? :)

Yes Ewan you are correct, it's me. 

Remember the final , but not all the details of the day , definitely met with Dennis to give him ticket,sure I saw your old man but not 100% certain. Good to catch up albeit in an unusual way. Hopefully you and family are all well and staying safe, often think about the good work you have been involved with those less fortunate , not sure if you're still involved with that , enjoyed chatting with you about your work when we have met. 

Would be good to catch up properly , will definitely go to United and Arbroath so a meet up is definitely possible. 

Glad to see you are still following the hearts , it's in the genes my dad , Charlie, Eric and the rest , I try to give up regularly but always relapse , thankfully. 

HHGH. 

Highlander
On 28/05/2020 at 22:28, Malaguena said:

Would be good to catch up properly , will definitely go to United and Arbroath so a meet up is definitely possible. 

I will be giving Dens a miss purely to starve Dundee of vital resources and shambolic lack of integrity but I would be up for a wee jaunt to Arbroath.

Feel free to stop off on the way! 🍺