Stendel Poll

kingantti1874

Would you keep Stendel   

1,069 members have voted

1. 1. If we are in the championship

2. 2. If we are in the premiership

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re rewriting history again. Cathro left him duds like who? Martin? Who else? Berra? Lafferty? Smith? They were all signed under Cathro, not necessarily by him though but that’s another discussion. Gryzelak was awful but was signed under Cathro so I’m not sure where that sits with your analysis. Callaghan can’t get a game for St Johnstone, broke his leg on loan at Dundee and will signing on with Levein in two weeks time.

Levein signed nearly 40 players in under two years, most of whom didn’t meet the Standard required. McLaughlin, Naismith, Haring, and maybe Lee or Uche for a period 🤷🏾‍♂️. That’s a poor return. 

We can argue about individual players and focus on the large number all day long. The fact is Cathro destroyed a good squad for no reason mid season and didn't improve it. He signed a bunch of loan players that needed to be replaced at the end of the season.

All about opinions of course, but off the top of my head, McLaughlin, Naismith, Milinkovic, Haring and Dunne (first time around) were excellent signings by Levein.

Adao, Halkett, Washington, Mitchell (first time), Zlamal, Lee, Clare, Uche were decent to good signings for this level given we can't always afford some of the above players.  I want to include Whelan but he's another weird one.

White, Bozanic, McLean, Dikamona, Garrucio and probably a couple of others were fine to pad out the squad and add experienced  cover. I want to say Edwards too but have no idea what the story with him was.

Burns, Wighton, Mulraney are the mind of low risk, low cost punts a clubs like ours has ways made and always has to make. There are never any guarantees these punts will work out.

We all know the failures.

My criticism of Levein is he went for far too many punts at the same time. I wish he'd put more faith in youngsters for longer instead.

Who knows what would have happened in 18/19 without the injuries. We could realistically have kept in touch at the top around 3rd by January then strengthened in a couple of key areas.

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Morgan

• Last Laff

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We can argue about individual players and focus on the large number all day long. The fact is Cathro destroyed a good squad for no reason mid season and didn't improve it. He signed a bunch of loan players that needed to be replaced at the end of the season.

All about opinions of course, but off the top of my head, McLaughlin, Naismith, Milinkovic, Haring and Dunne (first time around) were excellent signings by Levein.

Adao, Halkett, Washington, Mitchell (first time), Zlamal, Lee, Clare, Uche were decent to good signings for this level given we can't always afford some of the above players.  I want to include Whelan but he's another weird one.

White, Bozanic, McLean, Dikamona, Garrucio and probably a couple of others were fine to pad out the squad and add experienced  cover. I want to say Edwards too but have no idea what the story with him was.

Burns, Wighton, Mulraney are the mind of low risk, low cost punts a clubs like ours has ways made and always has to make. There are never any guarantees these punts will work out.

We all know the failures.

My criticism of Levein is he went for far too many punts at the same time. I wish he'd put more faith in youngsters for longer instead.

Who knows what would have happened in 18/19 without the injuries. We could realistically have kept in touch at the top around 3rd by January then strengthened in a couple of key areas.

Milinkovic and Dunne definitely, Zlamal made horrendous gaffes including the final and isn’t good enough. 
You’ve pedalled the low cost myth concerning Wighton before and if you think £150-250k, signing on fee, agents fee and wages of at least £400k is one of those you need some home schooling I’m afraid. You also said before about Stendel having Souttar/ Washington/Naismith/ Walker/Uche/Halkett all available, Levein had them all available for a few league games at the start of the season and we were awful?
Anyway you’ve said that Levein was left a poor squad, getting rid of Sammon/Watt/Ozturk was out of favour and getting cash for Rossi was good, and had to rebuild a squad and should be judged on that? Is Stendel not allowed the same? 
You also only think that it’s the toxicity surrounding Levein that stops you wanting him back? Not the millions wasted on players, the awful football, hiring Cathro, smaller crowds, and being mainly responsible for the mess we find ourselves in?

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Milinkovic and Dunne definitely, Zlamal made horrendous gaffes including the final and isn’t good enough. 
You’ve pedalled the low cost myth concerning Wighton before and if you think £150-250k, signing on fee, agents fee and wages of at least £400k is one of those you need some home schooling I’m afraid. You also said before about Stendel having Souttar/ Washington/Naismith/ Walker/Uche/Halkett all available, Levein had them all available for a few league games at the start of the season and we were awful?
Anyway you’ve said that Levein was left a poor squad, getting rid of Sammon/Watt/Ozturk was out of favour and getting cash for Rossi was good, and had to rebuild a squad and should be judged on that? Is Stendel not allowed the same? 
You also only think that it’s the toxicity surrounding Levein that stops you wanting him back? Not the millions wasted on players, the awful football, hiring Cathro, smaller crowds, and being mainly responsible for the mess we find ourselves in?

Never said he isn't. I'm hardly alone I thinking we need to be on the phone to Robbo pronto, and probably should have been at the end of last season.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Never said he isn't. I'm hardly alone I thinking we need to be on the phone to Robbo pronto, and probably should have been at the end of last season.

Have you checked the poll results?
Robbo is my favourite ever Hearys player but his managerial career has had limited success.

You said Stendel should be replaced, that means he’s not being afforded the same chance that Neilson,Cathro and Levein had.

Edited by Pasquale for King

9 hours ago, TheBigO said:

You may well be right but when our status is far from clear cut, we can't really resolve anything with Dan, can we?

I mean, if we're still in prem, his contract stands and he stays. If not, as much as he'll prob leave, if he's staying, it'd likely be on different terms, maybe more bonus led. But those terms can't be agreed until we know if we're down and what that looks like.

You'd imagine there have been tentative chats but nothing more could be decided or certainly announced while we don't even know if we're playing football next season.

There is nothing complex about this and it seems you are making more of the post than was mentioned

We can talk to our manager, we can discuss the 2 scenarios with our manager, we can agree a what if with our manager and that includes salary so clearly the only issue is staying up or going down and if we go down he'll be off either through his own auspices or from the club

There is nothing more required unless there is no football and that I am pretty sure is unlikely given other leagues are playing or going to play and we are at least 2 months away from that possibility...a lot can happen in 2/3 months as we know

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Have you checked the poll results?
Robbo is my favourite ever Hearys player but his managerial career has had limited success.

You said Stendel should be replaced, that means he’s not being afforded the same chance that Neilson,Cathro and Levein had.

For sure Levein was given far too long and Cathro was one of his errors.

But we can’t afford any more mistakes.

Stendel didn’t deliver sustained results last season and there is no evidence he will deliver next  season either.

Agentjambo
3 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

Stendel didn’t deliver sustained results last season and there is no evidence he will deliver next  season either.

Is there any evidence that whoever we bring in next will?

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

As I said we were 8th in the form table, it’s not easy with duff players and only playing 17 ganess. Who would you want instead?

53 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As I said we were 8th in the form table, it’s not easy with duff players and only playing 17 ganess. Who would you want instead?

I’d go for Neil McCann. He would bring structure and a knowledge of Scottish football I.e. how to beat the Hamiltons and St Mirrens of this world. No guarantees of course but I just think Stendel isn’t working for Hearts.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

I’d go for Neil McCann. He would bring structure and a knowledge of Scottish football I.e. how to beat the Hamiltons and St Mirrens of this world. No guarantees of course but I just think Stendel isn’t working for Hearts.

He’s not had a good record as a manager so far and fell out with his players, not sure if he’s the man to bring us back up at the first time of asking. Stendel has experience of getting a team promoted from a league where there’s not a lot of football played.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It looks like Stendel will be staying after today’s interview on Hearts tv.

Was told that today also regardless of the division he’s in it for the long run.  Great guy and great news because he will take a cut to stay on. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Last Laff said:

Was told that today also regardless of the division he’s in it for the long run.  Great guy and great news because he will take a cut to stay on. 

Good news. We need to get a bit of certainty soon so he can start acting on his plans to reshape the squad. 

On 21/05/2020 at 20:40, Pilmuir said:

Why do you think a knowledge of Scottish football is important?  I’ve never really understood why people think it’s such a plus point. 

On 21/05/2020 at 15:21, ToqueJambo said:

Because he did build a team. He had to to sign that many players after Cathro destroyed Neilson's squad. He made a few key signings during 17/18 to steady the ship after Cathro (McLaughlin, Milinkovic and Adao stand out, Callahan was solid - Grezlak, Amankwaa, Randall not so much), and then did the complete rebuild he had to in summer before 18/19. 

His signings in 19/20 were much more targeted, aimed at filling gaps although he still failed to fill the goalie position after McLaughlin left the season before and couldn't find a winger after missing out on McGinn. He also gave Djoum too long to decide his future instead of just finding a replacement. Again, half of his 19/20 signings got injured though and this is where Levein really messed up IMO. Instead of giving youngsters more of a chance he signed even more players leaving us with the bloated squad we ended up with when players returned to fitness.

I get the number of duds has been too high, but personally I hope we always have a small budget set aside for managers to take punts. That's how we find some gems. Maybe just not so many at once.

That is far too sensible - you should be ashamed of yourself for being rational!:clyay:

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Would love him to stay and have as much of a proper pre-season as he can have, and get players in who can play his system.

We have seen signs that with the right players we could be playing some awesome football within 8-10 months.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Would love him to stay and have as much of a proper pre-season as he can have, and get players in who can play his system.

We have seen signs that with the right players we could be playing some awesome football within 8-10 months.

Christ, I thought you meant Levein for a minute there :lol:

11 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Why do you think a knowledge of Scottish football is important?  I’ve never really understood why people think it’s such a plus point. 

The answer to your question was in my post - knowing how to beat the Hamiltons and St Mirrens. Daniel has given us great results against Rangers and Hibs but not against teams who “make it difficult”, where we’ve been a shambles.  That’s why I have doubts about him.

2 hours ago, Pilmuir said:

The answer to your question was in my post - knowing how to beat the Hamiltons and St Mirrens. Daniel has given us great results against Rangers and Hibs but not against teams who “make it difficult”, where we’ve been a shambles.  That’s why I have doubts about him.

That's about self motivation. Easy to be up for it against OF or in a Derby. Stereotypical cold night in Paisley, our squad simply isn't fit for it mentally.

He didn't put this bunch together.

To me, he seems the type whose own players will bust a gut for, however.

It's all guesswork though for us isn't it? He entered such a horrorshow , how do you judge, really.

It's optimist vs pessimist in how you perceive the guy, really.

11 hours ago, Pilmuir said:

I’ve got doubts about stendel myself but I do think with a bit more time he could be a very good manager. I don’t think the problems were his lack of knowledge of Scottish football though. When he joined there was imo, a lot of resistance to change from the players. He then wouldn’t change his style of play to suit some players and he didn’t motivate, or the players wouldn’t be motivated, for certain games. I don’t think there’s some sort of secret knowledge on how to slog out victories against the likes of st mirren or Hamilton only known to folk with knowledge of the Scottish game. 

Pasquale for King
On 24/05/2020 at 10:02, brux said:

It’s bad enough you put a link from that rag, but it doesn’t say anything that wasn’t in the interview that was on Hearts tv where he said he wanted to stay.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Neil McCann, Steven Presley ffs 🙈

Embarrassing eh! Someone even mentioned Jim Duffy. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, busby1985 said:

Embarrassing eh! Someone even mentioned Jim Duffy. 

Scary to be honest.