Theme From Sparta F.C.

Face Masks

jake
8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:pleasing:

Twelve of us went to Mother India last Saturday night. They sat us at two tables of six. The service was great and the food was :pinnila:. We were all sat outside that 56°North for a few refreshments in the sunshine before we went for a feed. Again two tables of six.

I'm not entirely convinced by the mask thing either but it's no great hardship to play along. See with just a wee bit of thought and consideration life can be pretty much normal. We all had a great time.

Glad you enjoyed your night, jake. We should all plan on making the most of it as responsibly as we can before they shut us all down again. 👍

8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:pleasing:

Twelve of us went to Mother India last Saturday night. They sat us at two tables of six. The service was great and the food was :pinnila:. We were all sat outside that 56°North for a few refreshments in the sunshine before we went for a feed. Again two tables of six.

I'm not entirely convinced by the mask thing either but it's no great hardship to play along. See with just a wee bit of thought and consideration life can be pretty much normal. We all had a great time.

Glad you enjoyed your night, jake. We should all plan on making the most of it as responsibly as we can before they shut us all down again. 👍

I did enjoy it.

Love eating out and having a few.

And the good thing about getting older is learning to do that in the right company.

It's so beneficial .

And I can always harmlessly have a wee episode on here.

😁

Stick in Guv

tian447
On 16/08/2020 at 14:57, Back to 2005 said:

How could a piece of cloth be "faulty "? Unfortunate truth is that masks will eventually cause you health issues as you are not breathing in clear air and the bad air cannot escape so you are re -infecting yourselves.

Not breathing in clear air? Bad air cannot escape?

:vrwow:

You read some absolute pish on the internet, but this is up there with the worst.

Mauricio Pinilla

:lol: 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

You read some absolute pish on the internet, but this is up there with the worst.

:lol:

Cade

Not sure you're wearing the right mask or wearing it correctly, chief.

i6cbcy_487f06494ba2e3cf0dd40f3f70f0eb6ab

Morgan
23 minutes ago, tian447 said:

:spoton:

milky_26
Just now, Cade said:

Not sure you're wearing the right mask or wearing it correctly, chief.

i6cbcy_487f06494ba2e3cf0dd40f3f70f0eb6ab

that is one hell of a way to wear a mask

Captain Canada
10 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

“As this initiative happens in a controlled classroom environment, there is no need to explain everything to the youths and children again. They will do that in school, and that is also where they control it,” he said.

🙄

Jambo, Goodbye

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-masks.html

"During the current pandemic, scientists have found a correlation between high levels of mask-wearing — whether as a matter of culture or policy — and success in containing the virus.

“I think there is definitely evidence coming out of Covid that Japan, as well as other countries which practice mask-wearing, tend to do much better in flattening the curve,” said Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology at Yale.

The scientific evidence on whether a mask protects the wearer from infection is mixed. But experiments show that masks can be effective in blocking the emission of respiratory droplets that may contain the virus, even when someone has no symptoms of illness. And there is some evidence that infected people with no symptoms can still transmit the coronavirus."

I said this weeks, if not a couple of months ago. Just wear the damn mask 🙄

ri Alban
On 17/08/2020 at 18:02, jake said:

I did enjoy it.

Love eating out and having a few.

And the good thing about getting older is learning to do that in the right company.

It's so beneficial .

And I can always harmlessly have a wee episode on here.

😁

Stick in Guv

👍 You and GT. It's easy when we try. Aimless moaning just gets us nowhere, Fast! 

ri Alban
13 hours ago, tian447 said:

If the good air can't get in, how does the bad air get in!? 🤔 

Yes, I'm not being serious. But the boy you quoted is. 

Edited by ri Alban

Jambo 4 Ever
7 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

"During the current pandemic, scientists have found a correlation between high levels of mask-wearing — whether as a matter of culture or policy — and success in containing the virus.

“I think there is definitely evidence coming out of Covid that Japan, as well as other countries which practice mask-wearing, tend to do much better in flattening the curve,” said Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology at Yale.

The scientific evidence on whether a mask protects the wearer from infection is mixed. But experiments show that masks can be effective in blocking the emission of respiratory droplets that may contain the virus, even when someone has no symptoms of illness. And there is some evidence that infected people with no symptoms can still transmit the coronavirus."

This 

it really is simple

Samuel Camazzola

SgS8M9TpVV5vmE8=

Brian Dundas
On 16/08/2020 at 22:31, jake said:

I wear a  mask .

But I think it's the biggest load of pish .

I've always worn one in shops out of respect for the folk who work there despite the figures showing shop workers despite being frontline are not disproportionately affected.

And despite me thinking it's a load of shite.

I read an interesting thing yesterday .

There are over 250 000 children go missing every year in the USA.

No shut down no rules to limit the movement of people.

There are 6 to 8 million women and children trafficked for sex currently .

No lockdown no stopping the economy no trace and track.

Now theres a virus no doubt but theres some pish getting brought about on the back of it.

Oh and aussie ye keep saying dont expect nurses to treat you to folk who dont buy into this.

Does that go for your high fat diet or smokers or have you ever been in a square go etc etc etc.

I've been out today .

Had a lovely meal after lord bjays thread in mother indias few sherberts in a few boozers.

Lifes for living and breathing and this shit needs a reality check because the fall out is doing far more damage health wise and economically and for simply living.

And the environmental impact of the waste from cloth that couldntnt stop a fibre from cutting concrete never mind a virus.

Its here we have to live with it not fekin die slowly with it.

Even here in the UK inequality is as big a public health killer as this pandemic has been, so when this is over hopefully we will see NS at a podium giving out the figures and taking emergency action to prevent those deaths and all you guys calling for support for all the other conditions will back her 100%.

I'm now at the stage with masks where I can see it would be massively beneficial if they were worn correctly and discarded/washed after every use, hands were washed after every touch/readjustment, but that won't happen so they are probably more of a spreader than no masks

Captain Canada

I've seen very few people wearing masks correctly. Many are under the nose, lots are constantly fiddled with, I saw one guy sneeze into his then take it off and wipe it on his hands, I've also seen plenty with huge gaps at the top and sides.

There's a wide range of face coverings being used too, from visors and the more medical looking masks through to scarves and snoods. I'm fairly sure they'll all have different levels of protection in terms of number of layers and the size of holes that any viral matter could pass through. 

I also don't think it's realistic for people to use hand sanitizer after each time they take them off or to expect people to only wear them once before washing. 

I'm not judging anyone at all. I think they're a very difficult thing to get used to wearing, even for short periods of time.

A lot of prominent scientists think masks could be potentially increasing the risk of spreading the virus because of the issues above. 

I totally understand why people want to wear them, but I also think it was telling that no evidence was presented by the government as a reason for them to be mandatory. 

jonesy
36 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I've seen very few people wearing masks correctly. Many are under the nose, lots are constantly fiddled with, I saw one guy sneeze into his then take it off and wipe it on his hands, I've also seen plenty with huge gaps at the top and sides.

There's a wide range of face coverings being used too, from visors and the more medical looking masks through to scarves and snoods. I'm fairly sure they'll all have different levels of protection in terms of number of layers and the size of holes that any viral matter could pass through. 

I also don't think it's realistic for people to use hand sanitizer after each time they take them off or to expect people to only wear them once before washing. 

I'm not judging anyone at all. I think they're a very difficult thing to get used to wearing, even for short periods of time.

A lot of prominent scientists think masks could be potentially increasing the risk of spreading the virus because of the issues above. 

I totally understand why people want to wear them, but I also think it was telling that no evidence was presented by the government as a reason for them to be mandatory. 

It's more of a visual 'aid' to remind people that the government are keen to be seen doing something.

I haven't bothered the last few times I've been in a shop, and nobody gives a toss.

ri Alban
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

It's more of a visual 'aid' to remind people that the government are keen to be seen doing something.

I haven't bothered the last few times I've been in a shop, and nobody gives a toss.

Hopefully a fellow non wearer coughs and sneezes all over you. 

brunstanejambo
8 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

As a sceptic about most things that I read in the press and hear from the Government, I'd be interested to read more about this. Do you have some links to the research that these prominent scientists have done?

jonesy
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I take no action and people are reformed.

I enjoy peace and people become honest.

I use no force and people become rich.

I have no ambitions and people return to the good and simple life.

Cade

As long as some exhaled moisture is captured by whatever mask you are wearing, it's reducing the risk of spreading the infection.

The better mask you have, the better fit is has and the better discipline you show when out and about, the better the reduced risk of viral spread.

Yes, if everybody did everything perfectly then infection rates would plummet much faster.

But people can't be trusted.

But as long as enough people do things more or less right, infection rates will continue to slow down, just not as fast as we'd like.

Brian Dundas
10 minutes ago, Cade said:

As long as some exhaled moisture is captured by whatever mask you are wearing, it's reducing the risk of spreading the infection.

The better mask you have, the better fit is has and the better discipline you show when out and about, the better the reduced risk of viral spread.

Yes, if everybody did everything perfectly then infection rates would plummet much faster.

But people can't be trusted.

But as long as enough people do things more or less right, infection rates will continue to slow down, just not as fast as we'd like.

I'm not convinced that is true, loading a piece of cloth with the virus then touching it, wearing it again, holding it or wearing it on your wrist, all to me suggest spreading the virus around more rather than less. For them to be affective I would imagine they need to be used correctly and by a very large % of people.

However I'm no scientist and I'm not sure they even know how effective mass mass wearing is without proper training and use

Harry Potter

Wore a mask for 15 years in the production of blood products, sometimes this was done

where settle plates were prepared to catch any contamination, this was to prove a sterile practice,

within the area, the mask certainly worked, as said before i will wear one , better on than off. 

jake
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Are you in pain ?

Because you certainly post like you are .

jonesy
2 minutes ago, jake said:

Are you in pain ?

Because you certainly post like you are .

It's knee-jerk comments like his that make the internet what it is...

Captain Canada

6 hours ago, brunstanejambo said:

As a sceptic about most things that I read in the press and hear from the Government, I'd be interested to read more about this. Do you have some links to the research that these prominent scientists have done?

Here are a couple on cloth masks. I've read a few more but don't have them all bookmarked or anything. 

https://blog.gotopac.com/2020/06/26/do-cloth-face-masks-work-why-is-a-3-ply-procedural-mask-more-effective/

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-with-politics/

Francis Albert
On 01/09/2020 at 00:44, Jambo, Goodbye said:

After 8 months the scientific evidence is still not strong. Lots of mays and mights and coulds. Tests in laboratory conditions do not represent how masks are worn and treated in real life.

As for Japan there are other cultural differences, like not shaking hands and kissing and cuddling people every time you meet them (one small merit of Coronavirus is it may have put an end to this now widely practiced annoying routine). As Clive James once said you can be in the most crowded airport in Japan and no-one will intrude on your personal space, whereas in a virtually empty airport in Australia someone is almost bound to stumble or run into you.

I wear my mask where instructed but like I suspect 99% of users I admit to not following the advice on how they should be worn, treated, handled and washed or disposed of after every use.. The fact that this advice is very rarely publicised by the authorities tends to confirm that the whole mask wearing thing is more for show than anything else.

Edited by Francis Albert

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

After 8 months the scientific evidence is still not strong. Lots of mays and mights and coulds. Tests in laboratory conditions do not represent how masks are worn and treated in real life.

As for Japan there are other cultural differences, like not shaking hands and kissing and cuddling people every time you meet them (one small merit of Coronavirus is it may have put an end to this now widely practiced annoying routine). As Clive James once said you can be in the most crowded airport in Japan and no-one will intrude on your personal space, whereas in a virtually empty airport in Australia someone is almost bound to stumble or run into you.

I wear my mask where instructed but like I suspect 99% of users I admit to not following the advice on how they should be worn, treated, handled and washed or disposed of after every use.. The fact that this advice is very rarely publicised by the authorities tends to confirm that the whole mask wearing thing is more for show than anything else.

Look on it as similar to everyone donating their railings to the war effort. 

Morgan
3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Wore a mask for 15 years in the production of blood products, sometimes this was done

where settle plates were prepared to catch any contamination, this was to prove a sterile practice,

within the area, the mask certainly worked, as said before i will wear one , better on than off.

To me, Harry, that’s the key.  👍

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A good analogy! I don't think there is evidence that it added one Spitfire or tank to the war effort but showed we were all in it together (sort of!)

Edited by Francis Albert

Harry Potter
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

To me, Harry, that’s the key.  👍

Certainly is bud, a no brainer as they say, hope you are well pal.

maroondevo52
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

They removed the railings where I grew up, Rosemount Buildings in Fountainbridge, but left a line of about 20 outside one ground floor flat for a guy who had just had his legs amputated.

Morgan
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Certainly is bud, a no brainer as they say, hope you are well pal.

Yep, all good here, H.

How're you doing?

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yep, all good here, H.

How're you doing?

Obviously missing the footie , but im ok, was a lovely sunny weekend so all good.

Jambo, Goodbye
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Considering how cringeworthy the UK, the USA and much of Europe has been in dealing with this whole thing. I'm pretty content that the approach I've experienced in Asia has been head and shoulders above the rest. One small factor out of many is people's willingness to do what they can to not spread their germs if it can be helped. 

We didn't even need a full-on lockdown at any point where I live, and things still turned out okay. I think the UK could have easily avoided how 2020 unfolded, but needed a more, 'I'll do my part' attitude. Goodness knows how this winter will turn out. 

Glottis

See if I've wore a mask for months and it turns out it was pointless- it means that I was trying to do the right thing.

See if you don't wear the mask despite medical experts, disease experts, governments and all sorts of other experts saying it helps - then you're just a bit of a ******.

*Unless of course you are in the really really small percentage of people who genuinely cannot wear one for medical or mental reasons.

Harry Potter
On 01/09/2020 at 17:04, Samuel Camazzola said:

SgS8M9TpVV5vmE8=

😀

AlimOzturk
11 hours ago, Glottis said:

See if I've wore a mask for months and it turns out it was pointless- it means that I was trying to do the right thing.

See if you don't wear the mask despite medical experts, disease experts, governments and all sorts of other experts saying it helps - then you're just a bit of a ******.

*Unless of course you are in the really really small percentage of people who genuinely cannot wear one for medical or mental reasons.

How many times has the advice changed? If it turns out that folk have been walking around with a cloth over their face for nothing there will be a lot of understandable anger. I mean I see people of all walks of life every single day wearing masks and think to my self wtf is the point? Wearing below their nose, taking them on and off, wearing them on their wrists, placing them on tables, sharing masks, not washing their hands after touching them.... and so on. 

This for me is ultimately worse than wearing a mask. The above is just spreading their germs further through touch and transmission. You can’t blame the general public as the advice has been shit and they haven’t got the relevant mask training that professionals get. Plus it is inconvenient and uncomfortable to wear a mask. 

Do I think the mask will stop a sneeze or cough.  being as potent? Probably. Do I think it is completely pointless once someone touches said mask and spreads their germs all over the place? Make your own mind up. 

Then there is the whole freedom of choice argument and that nobody should be forced to wear items if they don’t want to. It is a violation of basic human rights imo and something people mocked early on in the year. People have already been seen to berate folk over the world for refusing to wear masks.   

do what you want but do not sit there and tell me I am ***** for actually looking at the mask debate from a logical perspective. I won’t enter anywhere requiring the wearing of a mask. Public transport, shops and other places are following useless advice but that isn’t their fault. I won’t deliberately make anyone uncomfortable or make their jobs any harder. 

Samuel Camazzola
42 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

How many times has the advice changed? If it turns out that folk have been walking around with a cloth over their face for nothing there will be a lot of understandable anger. I mean I see people of all walks of life every single day wearing masks and think to my self wtf is the point? Wearing below their nose, taking them on and off, wearing them on their wrists, placing them on tables, sharing masks, not washing their hands after touching them.... and so on. 

This for me is ultimately worse than wearing a mask. The above is just spreading their germs further through touch and transmission. You can’t blame the general public as the advice has been shit and they haven’t got the relevant mask training that professionals get. Plus it is inconvenient and uncomfortable to wear a mask. 

Do I think the mask will stop a sneeze or cough.  being as potent? Probably. Do I think it is completely pointless once someone touches said mask and spreads their germs all over the place? Make your own mind up. 

Then there is the whole freedom of choice argument and that nobody should be forced to wear items if they don’t want to. It is a violation of basic human rights imo and something people mocked early on in the year. People have already been seen to berate folk over the world for refusing to wear masks.   

do what you want but do not sit there and tell me I am ***** for actually looking at the mask debate from a logical perspective. I won’t enter anywhere requiring the wearing of a mask. Public transport, shops and other places are following useless advice but that isn’t their fault. I won’t deliberately make anyone uncomfortable or make their jobs any harder. 

giphy.gif&ehk=gBCW2peqzfxWHRTo%2BroWGLrK

Jambo 4 Ever
12 hours ago, Glottis said:

this

Bull's-eye
23 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Did you make Black Pudding ?

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

1tmI=

not a fan then?  I think they look alright 

Victorian

Angry about having to wear a mask if it was ever to be known it was not necessary...

:gok: