Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Does that include my shift manager who was the first to isolate for 14 days and has took another 4 fortnights since?

Yeah I imagine the situation I outlined would apply to your Shift Manager, and all other members of staff. 

Companies are not obligated to pay you when you are not at work due to having to self isolate. Some companies will do it, and some won’t, but that’s at their discretion as they see fit. 

If memory serves, the Scot Gov are willing to pay (up to £500 I think) to anyone who is told to self isolate by Track & Trace, should their employer not offer to pay them during that time. 

I assume though, in your circumstances of going on holiday and rules changing it might not apply. I could be wrong on that though. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Costanza said:

Yeah and also, we don't know how long the vaccines will protect people for, so a risk there as well if we take too long to vaccinate the rest of the population.

I think they've been cautious with estimates of that.  Bits on info along the lines of 'immunity for at least 3 months' and so on.  More practically we'll need to hope for better than that or face at least an annual vaccination and maybe twice annually.

This break-neck-speed roll-out of 12 weeks 2nd dose schedule will be replaced with a 3 week dose schedule.  There's a very good chance the next vaccination phase will begin in late 2021.  

Another hope is that the virus evolves to become something that causes much lower amounts of severe illness.  Otherwise the world's vaccine production capability is going to flat out for a long time.

22 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Also correct.  Some of the vaccines can be very quickly modified to update on new strains so it's not an absolute disaster on that score.  But there is a constant risk of a vaccine escape variant coming along with bigger teeth.  I wouldn't want to even be around if we're faced with starting at square 1 again.  A total ender.

If we started at square 1 again Then the only way of it all would surely be the much criticised   " herd immunity" ? 

8 minutes ago, OBE said:

I'll decide how I express myself.

Your argument is a question.

The above hurts ma heid.

Watch and no hurt yirsel when you let go of Enzo's bell-end.

HNY James...

LOL you too dear...

Weakened Offender
48 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So basically by this reasoning it'll never bloody end then....as Enzo and a few others including me have said  we need to live with it and not in fear of it.   Do we accept some " collateral" damage like we accept with the annual flu so we can then open up completely or we so risk adverse we continue with various types of restrictions for years ? 

Remember now, Gonzo didn't have your back the last time you acted like an utter prick, got called out by  a fair few and then had another one of your cringeworthy online  nervous breakdowns.

Just saying. 😉

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

If we started at square 1 again Then the only way of it all would surely be the much criticised   " herd immunity" ? 

At square one all flights would have been stopped from January and lockdown earlier. 

Backed up by good test and trace run by the experts in public health we would be more like the likes of Taiwan, Vietnam etc. with very low deaths and mostly back to normal quickly. 

Of course these countries did what they did because of experience and planning. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Remember now, Gonzo didn't have your back the last time you acted like an utter prick, got called out by  a fair few and then had another one of your cringeworthy online  nervous breakdowns.

Just saying. 😉

Me dear ? Nervous breakdown dear ? Never dear ! ( that posting did make me laugh so cheers for that ) 

48D51AB5-DE47-4FB9-91E9-D5A8839D8F72.jpeg

Herd immunity achieved via infection?  It's never been sought before as a strategy.  If it involved a similar nature of virus / illness then we'll need to accept people dying untended at home and mass management of the dead.

It's that or a repeat of this limbo-like existence.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

There really are some dangerous idiots in the Edinburgh Council. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

So basically by this reasoning it'll never bloody end then....as Enzo and a few others including me have said  we need to live with it and not in fear of it.   Do we accept some " collateral" damage like we accept with the annual flu so we can then open up completely or we so risk adverse we continue with various types of restrictions for years ? 

Considering what we have gone through (across pretty much all of Europe) opening up the economy completely surely would not have led to just 'some' collateral damage?

14 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

o didn't have your back the last time you acted like an utter prick, got called out by  a fair few and then had another one of your cringeworthy online  nervous breakdowns.

You actually have made my partner crease himself with laughter reading that. He says he can relate to some of your sentiments.. !  He has become very accustomed to my " nervous breakdowns"...

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Herd immunity achieved via infection?  It's never been sought before as a strategy.  If it involved a similar nature of virus / illness then we'll need to accept people dying untended at home and mass management of the dead.

It's that or a repeat of this limbo-like existence.

Looks like Hobsons choice then? Lets hope the vaccine is efficiently rolled out. Thais the main hope I have.  Then things will fall into place with loosening of restrictions etc.  

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Looks like Hobsons choice then? Lets hope the vaccine is efficiently rolled out. Thais the main hope I have.  Then things will fall into place with loosening of restrictions etc.  

Let us all hope so.  Looking forward to some degree of normality in early summer.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Let us all hope so.  Looking forward to some degree of normality in early summer.

Early summer 2041 ? Lol 

manaliveits105

I see the Chinese are reporting their first case of The British Variant - can we now call covid19  The China Virus or is it only pc if UK gets the blame for something .

2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I see the Chinese are reporting their first case of The British Variant - can we now call covid19  The China Virus or is it only pc if UK gets the blame for something .

A great moment for Britain. 

Fxxx the SPFL

The UK variant first discovered in Kent now who could have brought that in possibly some people in a boat from France hmmmmm or did it just happen to mutate in GB.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

The UK variant first discovered in Kent now who could have brought that in possibly some people in a boat from France hmmmmm or did it just happen to mutate in GB.

Lots of things mutate in GB. You'd be surprised.. 😉

45 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You are correct but I have no faith in those in power. I just can't believe anything that comes out of their lying traps.

They really must get this right regarding the vaccine rollout. 

I know it may seem like we have been in this forever, but the 10 months of govt strategy has passed by pretty much in an instant.

Few weeks of dilly-dallying; 12 weeks of only outside for an hour; 12 weeks of limited normality; days circuit breaks, tiering, lockdowns again and nearly early a year goes by.

A delay here, a delay there, a system failure, bit of bad weather and it doesn't take much for the super spring promise end game to be pushed months to right.

Yesterday's promise needs to be kept.

Edited by DETTY29

9 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

England's Chief Medical Officer Prof Chris Whitty said current coronavirus swab tests would detect the new variant that has been found predominantly in Kent and neighbouring areas in recent weeks.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, OBE said:

I'll decide how I express myself.

Your argument is a question.

The above hurts ma heid.

Watch and no hurt yirsel when you let go of Enzo's bell-end.

HNY James...

:lol:

20 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Could be Syrian immigrants on boats, could be UK truckers shagging hookers anywhere in Europe, then coming back, could have been an asymptomatic Farage bringing in from USA when campaigning for Trump (timeline works and Trump doesn't like testing as it gives bad news), then passing on when patrolling the Kent coast.

Nothing can be ruled out.

Edited by DETTY29

7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Could be Syrian immigrants on boats, could be UK truckers shagging hookers anywhere in Europe, then coming back, could have been an asymptomatic Farage bringing in from USA when campaigning for Trump (timeline works and Trump doesn't like testing as it gives bad news), then passing on when patrolling the Kent coast.

Covid has been out of control in Kent for weeks in 3 main areas. Only one area of England had worse rates of infection (somewhere in Essex, last time I looked). 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Yeah I imagine the situation I outlined would apply to your Shift Manager, and all other members of staff. 

Companies are not obligated to pay you when you are not at work due to having to self isolate. Some companies will do it, and some won’t, but that’s at their discretion as they see fit. 

If memory serves, the Scot Gov are willing to pay (up to £500 I think) to anyone who is told to self isolate by Track & Trace, should their employer not offer to pay them during that time. 

I assume though, in your circumstances of going on holiday and rules changing it might not apply. I could be wrong on that though. 

They paid everyone caught in Spain when it got put on the naughty step then changed the rules without actually telling anyone or I would have changed my mind about making a late booking to Turkey anyhow.

They turned down Polish warehouse staff who wanted to go home for 2 weeks because it meant losing them for 4 weeks but allowed Polish office staff to go because they could work from home on their return, and by working from home they were expected to do 2 hours a day for full wages.

Making it up as they go along.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

They can always help pick them up off the streets. 🤔

Yeh, easy enough to change the job discription from 'Facemask Warden' to 'Facemask Cleaner up', or maybe something a wee bit more fancy, that I'm sure someone can come up with.

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

" the poor sod" ?  Enzo was pointing out quite rightly that those who were viewed as most vulnerable etc would be vaccinated therefore anyone who would then catch the virus was clearly not in the higher risk category so extremely unlikely to become ill and even less to die.  Stop using emotive language like " poor sod"...to further your argument. 

Stop using reason and common sense James. Wrong thread for that. Back to cowering under your safety blanket until someone from the State gives the all clear.😂.  Seriously, if someone had told me in January that in the UK, govts would be telling us who to see, where, how far you could travel from home, where to work,to download a State tracker on your phone and that NHS staff would be knocking on doors telling elderly people to display DNR notices in their homes, well, you get the rest.....China, who started this sorry s**t show, yes, but in the UK?? That some nutters seem to defend this,  simply beggars belief. Anyway, Happy New Year to you and your family!

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

At square one all flights would have been stopped from January and lockdown earlier. 

Backed up by good test and trace run by the experts in public health we would be more like the likes of Taiwan, Vietnam etc. with very low deaths and mostly back to normal quickly. 

Of course these countries did what they did because of experience and planning. 

You have to hope that we've learnt from this.................you just have to hope!

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

" the poor sod" ?  Enzo was pointing out quite rightly that those who were viewed as most vulnerable etc would be vaccinated therefore anyone who would then catch the virus was clearly not in the higher risk category so extremely unlikely to become ill and even less to die.  Stop using emotive language like " poor sod"...to further your argument. 

Stop using reason and common sense James. Wrong thread for that. Back to cowering under your safety blanket until someone from the State gives the all clear.😂.  Seriously, if someone had told me in January that in the UK, govts would be telling us who to see, where, how far you could travel from home, where to work,to download a State tracker on your phone and that NHS staff would be knocking on doors telling elderly people to display DNR notices in their homes, well, you get the rest.....China, who started this sorry s**t show, yes, but in the UK?? That some nutters seem to defend this,  simply beggars belief. Anyway, Happy New Year to you and your family!

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Double post

11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes hard to really take in what has happened this year and in particular  the total compliance submissiveness of most of the general public . It concerns me in what will happen in the future . Anyway trying to remain positive so a  Happy new year and all the best to you and your family too Enzo . 👍

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Sure there was something about a patient with a compromised immune system who had been treated with an experimental treatment and it was in them that the mutation was first detected, I'm sure Witty/Valence/Van Tam or someone from PHE said this in one of the pressers and that it was first detected back in September and genome sequenced in October.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Try and have a nice night Enzo :(

You too Victorian. No parties for me, I'm sticking to the rule book.👍Happy New Year !

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sure there was something about a patient with a compromised immune system who had been treated with an experimental treatment and it was in them that the mutation was first detected, I'm sure Witty/Valence/Van Tam or someone from PHE said this in one of the pressers and that it was first detected back in September and genome sequenced in October.

I belive it was someone who had a resistance to medication.

Not sure of the specifics but it could be someone resistant to antibiotics etc because they have taken too many in the past.

Edited by frankblack

Yes hard to really take in what has happened this year and in particular  the total compliance submissiveness of most of the general public . It concerns me in what will happen in the future . Anyway trying to remain positive so a  Happy new year and all the best to you and your family too Enzo . 👍

Lol

It is true for example that I don't care (nothing personal) if you or any loved ones die. 

But stepping back and being a responsible human being I'm really pleased the Government after a slow start did prioritise saving life. And funnily enough there's more than enough good things that have come about such as long overdue improvements in business and Government productivity. Longer term lots of good. 

So well done to Governments all over the world and the public for mostly doing their best to stay safe. 

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not sure of the specifics but it could be someone resistant to antibiotics etc because they have taken too many in the past.

I knew it was something to do with a compromised immune system or similar, I don't know the specifics myself either, but it's something along those lines.

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Just saying. 😉

Seriously,  your New Year resolution needs to be to act like a human being. Not sure how you're not banned given your propensity to mouth off on an online forum. Treat this place as if you were debating in a pub. Just saying😉

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Covid has been out of control in Kent for weeks in 3 main areas. Only one area of England had worse rates of infection (somewhere in Essex, last time I looked). 

32 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

25 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Thanks.

Sorry I was trying to be smart in my own head with a response that I thought it was being alluded that by originating in Kent, it was from an 'alien' who maybe shouldn't have been here in the first place.

It's been a torrid year, and whilst frustrating at times I've enjoyed the debating, mud slinging and also learning from informative and thoughtful posts on this thread throughout the year.

Let's hope the new year is much better next year for all of us. 

Happy new year to you all when it comes.

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's been a torrid year, and whilst frustrating at times I've enjoyed the debating, mud slinging and also learning from informative and thoughtful posts on this thread throughout the year.

Well said. 

Best wishes to everyone. 

26 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Seriously,  your New Year resolution needs to be to act like a human being. Not sure how you're not banned given your propensity to mouth off on an online forum. Treat this place as if you were debating in a pub. Just saying😉

👍👍👍

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Thanks.

Sorry I was trying to be smart in my own head with a response that I thought it was being alluded that by originating in Kent, it was from an 'alien' who maybe shouldn't have been here in the first place.

You have nothing to apologise for, as far as I'm concerned, besides none of us know who the patient is or indeed where they are from, they could be from Britain, America, Peru, Ascension Is, Zimbabwe or anywhere inbetween.

Tbh, it doesn't matter (to me) where they were from, the genie is out the bottle and we have to deal with it now, the thing is, a new strain was always going to happen...somewhere, it just happened to happen here.

17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Indeed, once we get past January which I think is going to be tough, come February we will begin to see a way out of this, we just have to imo hold on a bit longer, to stay strong and stay safe and we'll get through this, we always have in the past, we just need to stay strong and believe that better times are coming, which they are, and I firmly believe that, we will get through this.

Weakened Offender
48 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Trust me, if I was in a pub and you were spouting the same, tedious drivel that you have been posting for 7 months then my responses would be no different. 😉

Have a lovely new year. 😊

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Cheeky *******s

4 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Trust me, if I was in a pub and you were spouting the same, tedious drivel that you have been posting for 7 months then my responses would be no different. 😉

Have a lovely new year. 😊

Igualmente. It would make for an interesting conversation,  once you were out of your state endorsed lockdown😉 Have a great New Year!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic