Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

There's been a bit of chat today in my office that Glasgow may open in tier 2. I can't see it but my wife also mentioned her Area Manager hinted same to her yesterday, advising her to be prepared for big queues and sitting-in customers on 12th.

There's a couple of reasons why this would be a good idea.

Hopefully some good news for you today then, bud. 👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

You're next for The Taming of the Flu Mr Shakespeare.  Left or right arm?  Left please.  As You Like It.

If you prick us do we not bleed?

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You're next for The Taming of the Flu Mr Shakespeare.  Left or right arm?  Left please.  As You Like It.

:D

Far too highbrow for this thread.

9 minutes ago, Candy said:

Any recommendations for a private covid test?  Thinking of getting one just before Xmas so I know I'm not killing my elderly relatives

Prof Chris Smith was on 5L a week or so ago and the 'safest' way to do this is self isolate for full 14 days before visit, then have the test 3 or 4 days before visit.

This is what patients are asked to do before hospital operations, will in his Health Board area.

That of course is 'total' or closest to full risk mitigation.

Just checked Lloyds Pharmacy.

https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/coronavirus-covid-19-testing?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5bz-BRD-ARIsABjT4nggcHVhL_3SmOCuPYZg6MgrySh9L9y05Is-zFI3dpXjDu8ZS-cK4qoaAirsEALw_wcB

See however @frankblack and @graygo follow up comments.

Also as this is a football forum, remember that the clubs use private firms, but any dubiety and the second test goes to NHS which is considered far more accurate.

I'm off to my dad's, he is my elderly person extended bubble.  I'm going to try and cut down (sic) my social interactions as much as possible before hand and when there will socially distance as much as possible when in his wee house and keep surfaces as clean as possible.

My wife is working so I could stay over, but it will be up and down, same day.

56 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Theres a big difference between ownership and possession, both legally and practically - if you borrow my jumper you possess it, but I own it. The duke inherits possession, never ownership.

You posted these as proof. 

Where does it say he owns the duchy?

Thats exactly my point - as long as they exist they cost the taxpayer millions, it's completely relevant. 

So, onto the millions they contribute through tourism. Where's that figure coming from?

Fair enough, I was wrong about him owning the Duchy, as was the poster who claimed that "we" own it. He simply derives all the income from it. The Queen owns the Duchy of Lancaster and I assumed that big ears owned the Cornwall version.

I'm not getting into the argument about whether the tourism income would take a hit if they existed or not but I did read that the following article which is where I got my beliefs from.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/they-cost-us-a-mint-but-bring-in-much-more/

Edited by graygo

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

She looked in good nick for 90 in fairness. 

The NHS staff forming a guard of honour to applaud her out was bit OTT. 

Whilst the nurses gathering round her and holding her hands, doesn’t really appear all that COVID compliant.

Also surely the people dishing out the jabs would be the first to be vaccinated, I understand it won’t be active yet but still. 

Anyway it’s good news whatever way you look at it, 

Does seem a wee bit like a 'competition' to be first but I suppose more competition to get more done and quicker across the 4 national and local health boards has positives and of course negatives too.

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Superb 👏👏👏

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

If you prick us do we not bleed?

“ all the perfumes of Arabia will not wash the blood from my hands” ! 

25 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I wouldn't bother - the quick ones are hit and miss and if repeated can give different results.

If you need tested you need to get the proper test at at testing centre.

7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Prof Chris Smith was on 5L a week or so ago and the 'safest' way to do this is self isolate for full 14 days before visit, then have the test 3 or 4 days before visit.

This is what patients are asked to do before hospital operations, will in his Health Board area.

That of course is 'total' or closest to full risk mitigation.

Just checked Lloyds Pharmacy.

https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/coronavirus-covid-19-testing?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5bz-BRD-ARIsABjT4nggcHVhL_3SmOCuPYZg6MgrySh9L9y05Is-zFI3dpXjDu8ZS-cK4qoaAirsEALw_wcB

See however @frankblack and @graygo follow up comments.

Also as this is a football forum, remember that the clubs use private firms, but any dubiety and the second test goes to NHS which is considered far more accurate.

I'm off to my dad's, he is my elderly person extended bubble.  I'm going to try and cut down (sic) my social interactions as much as possible before hand and when there will socially distance as much as possible when in his wee house and keep surfaces as clean as possible.

My wife is working so I could stay over, but it will be up and down, same day.

👍

16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Unless they are still experimenting, sort of agree. A precious resource been given to someone who isn't exactly going to be working with family to support. 

Give to the young and working (or at least those who would like to get back to working)  and then us old codgers afterwards. They are the future, we are the past. 

I disagree those are the people who should be first in line , then the clinically vulnerable then open up fully ! No more tiers / lockdowns 

15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The economy has been trashed to protect the old and infirm so at least the governments are showing a measure of consistency.

The vast majority of the working, tax paying feckers that'll be picking up the bill for the next 30 years have little requirement for the vaccine. 👍

Argentina has passed laws that the onus is on the super rich to fund.

12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Fair enough, I was wrong about him owning the Duchy, as was the poster who claimed that "we" own it. He simply derives all the income from it.

I'm not getting into the argument about whether the tourism income would take a hit if they existed or not but I did read that the following article which is where I got my beliefs from.

Fair enough, and I'm working 60 hour weeks on nights just now so apologies if I was jumpy.

The duchy is legally owned by the nation but he trousers the income, paying some tax on it and paying out the sovereign grant.

In that link I see figures of 60 million from visitors to Buck Palace and the Queens gallery, but they're not generating that through work or existence. 

People would still pay to visit these places without the royal family, in fact we could generate a hell of a lot more if they moved out.

Edited by Smithee

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Good luck with that.

8 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Good luck with that.

I'm sure Britain's most patriotic man, Jacob Rees-Mogg (and his ilk) will re-evaluate his tax planning and repatriate much of his wealth and company registration back home.

Edited by DETTY29

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I'm sure Britain's most patriotic man, Jacob Rees-Mogg (and his ilk) will re-evaluate his tax planning and repatriate much of his wealth and company registrationb back home.

Oh ma sides. :rofl:

If she pops her clogs in the next few days due to old age it'll be the first pensioner death in almost a year that the government are not trying to pin on Covid or the vaccine .

I P Knightley
40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I had my Tetanus Andronicus in my left arm. Hurt like hell.

If William was the second person to get the vaccine, was Richard the third? And would that make them, for a very short time, the two gentlemen of corona?

29 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

What a ridiculous idea.

Good job we scudded them in the Falklands.  

CavySlaveJambo
27 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Would quite like to get to tier 2 for a little bit.  As I fully expect tiers increasing in new year

I’m expecting a post Christmas lockdown. 

27 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Your probably right but I wouldn’t be all that surprised.

I think their is genuine concerns from SG about migration of people to Edinburgh from the pretty much the whole central belt if it moves to tier 2. I just think there is a requirement to keep the central belt broadly the same and ideally Glasgow and Edinburgh. 

Edinburgh’s numbers are probably such that it warrants the move and it’s becoming harder to reject that. 

Probably easier to keep both in tier 3.

Would quite like to get to tier 2 for a little bit.  As I fully expect tiers increasing in new year as a result of the royal visit z

The tiers should not be based on “ what ifs “ such as Glasgow people coming to Edinburgh if we Are in. Lower tier . It should be based on the stats and as NHS  bed availability etc . Maybe they should have just had Edinburgh and Glasgow in the same region due to their closeness but then Edinburgh us close to West Lothian etc 

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I had my Tetanus Andronicus in my left arm. Hurt like hell.

If William was the second person to get the vaccine, was Richard the third? And would that make them, for a very short time, the two gentlemen of corona?

Oh come on that’s much ado about nothing really 

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh come on that’s much ado about nothing really 

Is this a dagger I see before me?

william-shakespear-vaccine.jpg?width=982

No dear, it's only a small needle.

Poor guy looks as though he's had enough with 80 odd years of lame puns.

6 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I’m expecting a post Christmas lockdown. 

I'd take that, for a few weeks of being able to go for a meal or a pint over the festive period.

I didn't make it into my parent's 3 household bubble, the brother and sister with weans got priority. So it would be decent if we could meet up for dinner in a sanitised environment instead.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Taffin said:

Graygo's link says it's fine for work and also that the part about traveling between UK countries applies to people who live in Scotland, unless I'm missing it, that  doesn't appear to exist on the guidance for people who live in England.

From what I can gather you can only travel for work into Scotland if your incapable of doing it from home, or voluntary or charity work. 
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/#travelbetween

On 04/11/2020 at 10:42, Samuel Camazzola said:

Just a ramble with little substance. 

It's a scientific study with legitimate named authors, their affiliations, method, data, analysis, conclusion, everything you could want from science, and published in a respected scientific journal.

Disputing it's method or interpretation is one thing, rejecting it because you don't fancy it is another.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Was this tour to thank Jay workers or to promote those two?   You're right when you say why not just do it online.   

Prince charles never paid tax before the early 80s.  Before that he used to charge a prison a peppercorn rent.  He now charges full rent.   It's not as if they've voluntarily gave up money to pay taxes bit haven't clawed it back in other ways.   That's before you mention that he also owns and rents out the land for a supermarkets distribution centre.   Yep, Charles the environmentalist makes money from lorries driving everywhere.    

They pay tax voluntarily but have got it back in other business deals.   

Do you think they agreed to pay tax for the hood of it pr because people were beginning to question it?

Feck em

Well put 👍🏽

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

At least in Tier 3 you can meet up for a meal or coffee.

True, but loads of restaurants in Glasgow didn't bother opening even prior to tier 3, due to the restrictions in hours and no alcohol.

Maybe they'll open now with expecting increase in footfall over Christmas.

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

What time is Aunty Nic dishing the low-down today then?

2.20 pm 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Well said, I'm calling bullshit on that twitter post as well.

Social media was full of them yesterday.

I don't have facebook, but my Mrs showed me all the comments on hers.

Fecking laughable and all nearly identical about grieving and not being able to visit family.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Not as bad as an SNP MP who takes a Covid test and takes the train to London and breaks every protocol going to go into Westminster, is it?

Whataboutery apparently isn’t acceptable, it’s why I didn’t mention Charles travelling up here when he had it too. As for her yes it’s unbelievable that anyone in her position would do that,in this day and age where you can do so much virtually wouldn’t you agree?

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Social media was full of them yesterday.

I don't have facebook, but my Mrs showed me all the comments on hers.

Fecking laughable and all nearly identical about grieving and not being able to visit family.

Yeah how I laughed at those suffering from grief and bereavement, just as well these two came to cheer them  up 🙈.  

59 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

That just usually leads to money getting hidden or the rich people leaving the country.  End result is the same = no more money

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What a crock of shit. Grieving so much that they had time to go on twitter and winge to anyone who will listen. 

See when this is over, go and visit your daughter, and anyone else you want. 

In the meantime, stfu and grieve in private, if it's true, which is unlikely. 

Nice, what a caring guy you are. I’m not for doing it myself but it seems to be a thing nowadays that people announce deaths of family and pets on social media or their innermost thoughts, maybe it’s a pandemic thing. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Well said, I'm calling bullshit on that twitter post as well.

Nucky said he saw a few of them, is he lying too?

CavySlaveJambo
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I agree tiers should go down as well as up. I just feel it’s a way more nuanced decision than looking at a set of numbers. You need to look at the consequence of the actions you propose that isn’t easy and definitely not exact science.

Agreed. And it cannot be for public health reasons to the exclusion of all others, which is what is happening at the moment. 

Also they need to have a more nuanced look at the data.  “Hypothetical” cases which can’t spread Covid are being used in the smallest local authorities, so really it should be case per 10k used as that would cover the islands too. 

Anyone think the Islands will go down to Tier 0 today?  They’ve had <5 cases this last week

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

From what I can gather you can only travel for work into Scotland if your incapable of doing it from home, or voluntary or charity work. 
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/#travelbetween

Not essential work then? Glad you seem to be finally understanding the difference between traveling for essential work and essential travel for work. 👍

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah how I laughed at those suffering from grief and bereavement, just as well these two came to cheer them  up 🙈.  

I'm laughing at the made up stories and faux rage.

Social media is full of drama queens and attention seekers

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Fair enough, I was wrong about him owning the Duchy, as was the poster who claimed that "we" own it. He simply derives all the income from it. The Queen owns the Duchy of Lancaster and I assumed that big ears owned the Cornwall version.

Hahahahaha that’s your source, that Kailyard piece of shit 🙈

Pasquale for King
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm laughing at the made up stories and faux rage.

Social media is full of drama queens and attention seekers

It is indeed, thanks for confirming there was lots of them though. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hahahahaha that’s your source, that Kailyard piece of shit 🙈

Says the guy who continually quotes links to Republic. The British version of the IRA. :rofl:

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

thanks for confirming there was lots of them though. 

No worries. She has loads of attention seeking pals

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not essential work then? Glad you seem to be finally understanding the difference between traveling for essential work and essential travel for work. 👍

Neither of which these two did yesterday, nothing that they do or say ever is essential work or travel, which is the point. 
Have you worked out how Zoom works yet, where lots of people from different places can talk to each other at the same time? 
Or that France is the biggest tourist destination in the world with no royals?

Let’s not bore everyone again. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Says the guy who continually quotes links to Republic. The British version of the IRA. :rofl:

Yes that’s what they are, maiming and murdering people on mainland Britain 👍🏽👏🏾

Edited by Pasquale for King

31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Cheers 👍👍 I'm good to go in that case, it's difficult to visit branches from home. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic