Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Indeed. However, if you limit contact between members of any species, then viruses are less likely to spread, no? It's called common sense.

What quarantine doesn't do, however, is eliminate the virus. That, as far as I'm aware, requires a biological intervention or development. This is nothing more than an attempt to suggest that 'measures' are working to pave the way for their continuation.

Everyone understands that suppression does not eliminate the virus.   Attempts to portray suppression as a failed policy of governments to do so are badly ill conceived.    I'm not sure why people continue to suggest that.    Leitch himself openly admitted that it's not the answer.   The theory that governments have some innate desire to continue these restriction is another inadequately explained notion.   For evidence,  you need only remember the much more relaxed and relieved tone coming from governments when it appeared that the worst was over.   Boris urging people back to normality.   Even the SG's broadcasts contained a line like "now that the cloud is lifting... ".

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t share any hope that something is just round the corner. I’m not sure where the belief or confidence comes from. Vaccines aren’t just round the corner. Whilst if there was some game changer close we will know about it, 

Thr constant can kicking is indicative of not having a clue imo. 

There is no evidence to suggest that it is untrue regarding the current suggestion of vaccines available in the first half of 2021.   There is no particular reason why we would have any advance insight regarding a game changer.    You're perfectly entitled to your beliefs but I strongly sense they're predetermined by a pessimistic premise.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

No no no this can’t be correct? The polis want to be getting steamed in to these selfish disease spreading yoofs surely?? Batons and tear gas breaking up dinner parties etc too!!
Polis just not being tough enough imo. 

Francis Albert

R number has fallen signiicantly  in last month according to the Oxford UIniversity group. Without much evidence this is of course being attributed to the new measures like the rule of 6, although the words "maybe" or "could" are applied as usual. 

And why after all the media and internet panic over the BLM, Extinction Rebellion, anti-lockdown  demos and the Soho street party  in London does Greater London have one of the lowest death and case numbers in the country?

13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Also I have no confidence a circuit break wil be 2-4 weeks. Measures generally haven’t been short or sharp due to time for data to filter through.

That makes no sense.   Even a two week period of restrictions will be measurable as the data continues to flow on an ongoing basis.   It's moot anyway because it seems much more likely this would be the first in a series.   Every bit of suppression has a benefit.   

The Internet
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Perhaps even Covid is aware of the bad press it would receive for daring to attack BLM? 😜 

And even covid is too scared of the pwopa hard bois who were defending the statues. 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sure, I agree that, deep down they probably don't want to tank the economy. However, they also know that they've screwed up. Admitting mistakes is political suicide. Therefore, creating an environment in which they can justify these badly planned lockdowns continuing buys them time. This is not a realistic strategy in the medium-long term, but is the easiest in terms of implementing, as it will keep deaths/cases/infection artificially low in the short-term.

I agree with the last bit.   That is the be-all-and-end-all of this kind of strategy.   I hope it's part of a plan with an end strategy in sight.   I get what you're saying about them trying to kick the can of blame down the road.   I don't agree there's enough evidence to believe that's certain yet. 

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

R number has fallen signiicantly  in last month according to the Oxford UIniversity group. Without much evidence this is of course being attributed to the new measures like the rule of 6, although the words "maybe" or "could" are applied as usual. 

And why after all the media and internet panic over the BLM, Extinction Rebellion, anti-lockdown  demos and the Soho street party  in London does Greater London have one of the lowest death and case numbers in the country?

Yep, and the Nationalists wanted a wall built around London and the border shut because the English *******s were spreading the virus. 

Considering vaccines take on average about ten years to develop I find it bizarre people are expecting one anytime soon. Will the clinical trials be rushed? 

The clip the other day of the Tory MP talking about China being close to mass producing a vaccine is interesting. Who on here would take such a thing so blindly? 

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂 **** me you don’t half post some drivel.

If something is to happen there is generally evidence that event will occur or at least likely to occur, not the other way about. I know logic is not your strong suit but even for you that is some statement. Whilst  there is a fair bit of evidence to suggest that it ain’t round the corner, the stage the trials are the fact the quickest vaccine was 5 years. Then we have all the manufacture distribution issues. 

You can’t think of a reason why we would have foresight of a potential solution 😂 

If you want to pretend a vaccine is round the corner, fair play but I strongly sense it’s because you lack much logic and have a delusional premise.😃

#insultsarefun

Why you getting so worked up ? 

You post as much drivel as everyone else. 😴

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Considering vaccines take on average about ten years to develop I find it bizarre people are expecting one anytime soon. Will the clinical trials be rushed? 

The clip the other day of the Tory MP talking about China being close to mass producing a vaccine is interesting. Who on here would take such a thing so blindly? 

What choice will you have? There’s people demanding the police start steaming into people and demand you wear a mask so I’d imagine they’ll be the ones who demand you take a vaccine to get into a boozer or a footbal ground or on a plane etc etc. 
They’re all losing their mind, washing their hands 30 times a day and afraid to go for a pint. Heads are utterly ruined now. 
You’ll have no choice imo. 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

😂 **** me you don’t half post some drivel.

If something is to happen there is generally evidence that event will occur or at least likely to occur, not the other way about. I know logic is not your strong suit but even for you that is some statement. Whilst  there is a fair bit of evidence to suggest that it ain’t round the corner, the stage the trials are the fact the quickest vaccine was 5 years. Then we have all the manufacture distribution issues. 

You can’t think of a reason why we would have foresight of a potential solution 😂 

If you want to pretend a vaccine is round the corner, fair play but I strongly sense it’s because you lack much logic and have a delusional premise.😃

#insultsarefun

Disappointing reaction tbh.   I didn't insult you but you've taken the pet.

If you look back it's not that we're that far apart.    For some reason you believe a vaccine is not going to be available in a timescale similar to that suggested by the likes of Whitty and Valance.   Fair enough.   I suggest that there is decent enough reason to believe that is still realistic.    Distribution is certainly one obstacle to overcome but manufacturing is well underway.   One or two vaccines began manufacturing 'at risk' in parallel with the ongoing trials.

You believe a vaccine isn't around the corner.   Interestingly I am portrayed as pretending one may still be around the corner.    Quite a difference between me saying you're entitled to your beliefs and me being cast as one who pretends.

Goodness only knows what brought on the tirade about logic.   All noted though.

19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That makes no sense.   Even a two week period of restrictions will be measurable as the data continues to flow on an ongoing basis.   It's moot anyway because it seems much more likely this would be the first in a series.   Every bit of suppression has a benefit.   

“ Every bit of suppression has a benefit” ? Didn’t you read that Jonesy just stared that if there is a “ circuit breaker “ he will more than likely be out of a job ? Him and probably thousands more . The harm to the economy would be terminal if we continue with any more mini lockdowns aka “ circuit breakers “ surely . 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

“ Every bit of suppression has a benefit” ? Didn’t you read that Jonesy just stared that if there is a “ circuit breaker “ he will more than likely be out of a job ? Him and probably thousands more . The harm to the economy would be terminal if we continue with any more mini lockdowns aka “ circuit breakers “ surely . 

There’s plenty circuit breaking going on for people with other illnesses too. Circuit breaks in treatment that are going to cost them their lives in some cases. 

15 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Think it through. Every bit of suppression with lockdown causes untold damage 🤷🏻‍♂️

Particularly, with no other plan than a unicorn delivering vaccine in a couple of month.

My point too 

4 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

I did read that and I hope he doesn't lose his job.   Suppression has a benefit in narrow terms of controlling the numbers.   It has a benefit on the epidemic in terms of cases,  deaths,  etc.    Yes there are other effects as we all accept.   Not going to pretend otherwise.   

1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

Jezza Corbyn has had to apologise after he attended a dinner party for the many, not the Jew.

Ftfy👍

Anyone hoping for a reliable and safe vaccine next year is a fantasist. If they do release one then i personally won’t be rushing to get it. Let others be the guinea pigs. 

23 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

No chance would I take it. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Anyone hoping for a reliable and safe vaccine next year is a fantasist. If they do release one then i personally won’t be rushing to get it. Let others be the guinea pigs. 

This, I'd let a couple of years pass before any of us will be getting it.

Weakened Offender
34 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yep, and the Nationalists wanted a wall built around London and the border shut because the English *******s were spreading the virus. 

If it just kept you out it would pay for itself, IMHO., 😉

jack D and coke

So another two or three years of this bolloks? Is that what some people are saying now?? 
Circuit breaks hiding under the covers for a few weeks every few months until some other mugs have taken it to let you get on with your life? 
:facepalm:

16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂😂😂😂😂

All noted though.  What does that mean.

Have I made the Vic book of big bad people who have upset me. 

I was merely being a mirror Vic👍

You're not a bad lad,  despite the hair trigger.    😳

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Maybe so.    I'm still hoping / pretending / fantasising for the time being.

Personally, I think we should just batter on as normal. Herd immunity would be better than a vaccine. 

Would prefer taking my chances with a rampaging virus than injecting some dodgey solution into my system that’s for sure. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t share any hope that something is just round the corner. I’m not sure where the belief or confidence comes from. Vaccines aren’t just round the corner. Whilst if there was some game changer close we will know about it, 

Thr constant can kicking is indicative of not having a clue imo. 

There is nothing around the corner.

Even  a great vaccine is only going to be 60 % effective, if and when it arrives- adn I suspect that will be months and months away.

This shambles is utterly incoherent.

Nicola looks like she is about to crack, though I suspect hiding all the documentation about salmond that mentions either her, or her husband is pretty time consuming.

Leitch as well appears to be losing the plot and now seems to be rambling about this is all not going away and what you are doing is not a solution, and this virus is never going away, never, no matter what, but we're going to continue with wrecking things anyway as we dont have the wit to come up with an alternative

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Personally, I think we should just batter on as normal. Herd immunity would be better than a vaccine. 

It would be better.   There's another hope (pretence in my case obviously ;) )

As yet,  herd immunity is a bit of an unknown prospect.   Immunity has a shelf life.   Is it even conceivable that a threshhold of herd immunity can be achieved and maintained?    It's not known.

Francis Albert
40 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

And our own Sadiq Khan seems desperate for London to be locked down again.

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

wish I had hair to trigger 😞

Might be an unexpected side effect from the vaccine.   You could be shopping for a comb in the summer.

Guy came into the work yesterday.   Enters without mask... puts mask on... walks on about 3 steps and pulls mask down under his chin... states his business at desk.     

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Might be an unexpected side effect from the vaccine.   You could be shopping for a comb in the summer.

I have a dream.....

Riddley Walker

My uncle-in-law is a virologist who's worked on treatments and vaccines for decades, and he apparently said last night a proper working vaccine is years away, whatever the politicians are telling us.

jack D and coke
Just now, Riddley Walker said:

My uncle-in-law is a virologist who's worked on treatments and vaccines for decades, and he apparently said last night a proper working vaccine is years away, whatever the politicians are telling us.

Plus nobody wants to take it :lol: 

We’re really in a bit of a spot here. 

15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

So another two or three years of this bolloks? Is that what some people are saying now?? 
Circuit breaks hiding under the covers for a few weeks every few months until some other mugs have taken it to let you get on with your life? 

Hope so, fantastic entertainment to be had on this thread. It's keeping me, governments and the scientific community in stitches.

The Internet
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Plus nobody wants to take it :lol: 

We’re really in a bit of a spot here. 

I think you'll find at least like 80% of people will take it whether they say they would or not. People are all talk, when it comes to the crunch they'll just do it. 

Pasquale for King
18 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

The germ theory/terrain theory nonsense is just another strand of brainwashed bingo.

Germ theory

Flat earth

Anti-vaxxer

5G-Covid

Illuminati

NWO

Rothschilds control the world/Jews are evil

Very predictable. Ironically, these folk believe they're enlightened and everyone else is gullible, when they're actually the sheep who believe in Identikit nonsense.

The link he provided there was typical. Unsourced ramblings of a barely literate chap with a few letters next to his name.

You missed out anti-masks 👍🏽

20 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

If it just kept you out it would pay for itself, IMHO., 😉

:rofl:

20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What the ****? 

2 or 3 years?

:vrface:

This Countries an absolute shitheap. 

4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Hope so, fantastic entertainment to be had on this thread. It's keeping me, governments and the scientific community in stitches.

Can you get stitches put in atm?   Thought the whole NHS had been turned over to CV.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Can you get stitches put in atm?   Thought the whole NHS had been turned over to CV.

Not the NHS Hospitals I work in my good man. 

Keep up the good work btw.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Most of the posts on this thread are just waffle. 

People pretending they know what they are talking about. 

People pretending full stop. 

This.

3 in particular.😏

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

How many old people attended those?

London has around 11.1% of the UK's cases. (48,829 as of 28 Sept)

Scotland has 29,244.

Francis Albert

Apollogies my post above about the falling R rate should have referred to Imperial College not Oxford University. The former's study (the largest ongoing one in the country) suggested in the last week R had fallen from 1.7 to 1.1.

However some professor at Bristol thinks both are wrong and it was probably 1.4 in both weeks referred to.

Follow "the science" as they say!

40 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

:spoton:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic