Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

13 hours ago, Victorian said:

UBI is the solution.   Always was.    Install a UBI payment system to everyone.    People in employment have their wages deducted through payroll systems with the deductions flowing back to the government.    Obviously some kind of scale of deductions to take account of part time work.   UBI replaces UC and similar benefits.    No separate furloughing required.   Nobody missing out and having to go through the process of claiming UC.   The safety net always exists.

Yip, not a popular concept but it works.

No means testing required, very little admin required compared to the welfare system, and the mechanism to monitor, deduct and pay out already exists with our NI numbers at Revenue & Customs.

Cheaper to run than the current system, more effective than the current system, the massive savings could give everyone a boost. But too many don't like the concept of the undeserving getting free monet so it's pretty unlikely.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yip, not a popular concept but it works.

No means testing required, very little admin required compared to the welfare system, and the mechanism to monitor, deduct and pay out already exists with our NI numbers at Revenue & Customs.

Cheaper to run than the current system, more effective than the current system, the massive savings could give everyone a boost. But too many don't like the concept of the undeserving getting free monet so it's pretty unlikely.

:laugh:

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

A free Monet sounds good to me ? Perhaps a water lilies one ? 

Personally I like the one that looks like Westminster's engulfed in fire. Funny that!

monet-houses-of-parliament-london-with-t

14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hope those gyms get shut down pronto. 
Twits. 

Mixed bag with my local gym which shall remain nameless . Went last week for the first time . When I arrived at the gym there were two bored and listless looking members of staff at the entrance . I asked if I needed to wear mask walking about , they said “ if you want “ - there was no other guidance from them . The machines were spread out and there was hand sanitizer at the old spots but I didn’t see any new ones around the gym . They did have bacterial wet wipe type of things to wipe down the machines . I stayed for an hour as it wasn’t too busy .The next day around 4 was busier and I felt uncomfortable as I was on the exercise bike and a woman was behind me huffing /puffing like crazy . I just had a bit of panic attack and left . Plus people were walking from machines without masks on . Disappointing . If I go back I’ll try and squeeze in time when it’s probably quiet ( morning or early afternoon ) 

manaliveits105
10 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Available for all meaning all the 3rd World countries too?

A few scientists are hopeful that a vaccine will be available by the end of this year

8 hours ago, Jambo no 1 said:

Another possible promising treatment in this article. 

https://apple.news/AqnVfccSURQaYReadxGg3lQ

Scientists have discovered an antibody that could help treat and ‘neutralise’ coronavirus.

Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine claim they have managed to isolate ‘the smallest biological molecule’ that ‘completely and specifically neutralises’ the virus that causes Covid-19.

The team created a drug with an antibody component called ‘Ab8’ that is 10 times smaller than a regular antibody.

Trials for the drug have shown it to be successful in ‘preventing and treating’ coronavirus in infected mice and hamsters.

Stop with the positivity already it’s all looking bleak and it’s the Tories fault - get with the programme ffs 

Governor Tarkin
47 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I hope the pubs are shut ASAP. Twits! 

**** off. 

:seething:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

9 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Decided to take advantage of being childless yesterday and went for lunch. Forgot our masks so picked a couple up in Poundland. Went to the pub and gave our names, listened to the "rules" then went to our table. 

Around ten mins later, an old man in his eighties (at a guess) came in. They refused him entry for a pint because he didn't have a mask to wear. I felt really bad as he didn't quite get why he was knocked back and watched as he left. 

Twenty minutes after that and, without a word of a lie, two cocky *******s in their twenties walk in. Neither has a mask on and when challenged on it they both said "av goat asthma, a dont huv tae wear a mask". The young girl at the desk was clearly out her depth so the manager came over. Again they said had asthma and didn't "huv tae wear a mask". They were then shown to a table with a menu each. 

Really pissed me off no end and I made it known to them when we were leaving that they were out of order. The old wifey next to us said she had never heard of so many young people with asthma. 

Now whether you're pro or anti-mask, if you want to eat or have a pint these days, you need to have a mask on. I choose not to go out to a pub or restaurant much because of that but when I do, I'll wear one.

It really wound me up that someone who has probably knocked his pan in for 60 odd years is refused a pint, probably his only enjoyment of the day, while these young ****ers just blatantly refuse to respect the wishes of the pub so that they can get a ****in burger and chips. 

Didn't happen. 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Pub in Pathead seems to be behind the Lothian outbreak, all customer of pub being asked to isolate,

In response to tonights media reports, we felt it would be appropriate to comment to allay any fears and put the record straight regarding our organised event.

This was an all ticket, seated, socially distanced organised event with professional singers. This event was organised based on information taken from the scottish government website as seen in the photo attached.

We were made aware on Thursday the 10th September 2020 of a person who attended the event testing positive for Covid-19. As soon as we were made aware we contacted the appropriate authorities to ask for advice and guidelines on our next steps, we were advised that track and trace would contact any relevant people who attended the OUTSIDE event should the need arise.

We also took it upon ourself to deep clean and sanitise using Covid fogging, as the safety of our staff and customers is paramount.

Following the mis information reported within media outlets which could have a detrimental effect on our business, we will be consulting our lawyers. All rules and regulations were followed.
We take the pandemic very seriously and have taken every step to make sure our customers are safe at all times.

Myself and my staff have had no symptoms and we were told that we have no need to self isolate and that the 14 day isolation for customers who attended the outside event ends on Saturday the 19th September 2020.

9 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

Sound's positive, and the bit that really stuck out for me is this;-

"Sweden also has fewer new daily infections than Norway and Denmark, its Nordic neighbours"

Of course the ultimate measure, as far as I'm concerned, is the total number of deaths. That will be the true measure of how well a country has dealt with the pandemic. This is something we won't know for many years to come I suspect, with Sweden's chief epidemiologist the bit below:-

In the end, we will see how much difference it will make to have a strategy that’s more sustainable, that you can keep in place for a long time, instead of the strategy that means that you lock down, open up and lock down over and over again

A 'will have to wait and see' phrasing so perhaps a bit too early to be pulling your frillies down and helicoptering, but it does seem positive. 

On a related matter, are other people having issues getting their six monthly dental checkups?

I was due mine in April this year which obviously didn't happen in full lockdown then they arranged for October, but now they have contacted me to arrange for April next year with the excuse of social distancing.  It all seems a bit strange for such a delay to me when hairdresser's and swimming pools are open again.

I don't have issues that I'm aware of but the whole point of checkups is for them to discover problems before they get to a state they need serious action!

Nucky Thompson

No wonder there is a problem for access to tests.

About half my daughters school has the cold and she got sent home yesterday.

It's no different from the cold she gets most years, sore throat, sore ears and the sniffles.

This must be happening in most schools just now as her friend who goes to a different school is off with the cold too.

You can imagine how many panicking mothers will be trying to book a test 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's no different from the cold she gets most years, sore throat, sore ears and the sniffles.

This must be happening in most schools just now as her friend who goes to a different school is off with the cold too.

What a nick we’ve got ourselves in. The nonsense hasn’t even begun, every cough and sniffle will be met with people shitting bricks.
How we get out of this is anyone’s guess. 

It's what happens when the government tell you to get a test if you have any symptoms whatsoever and then blames a shortage of tests on people getting tested needlessly. 

Салатные палочки
29 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Didn't happen. 

:laugh::laugh:

Okay, you got me there. I made it up to impress you. Quite embarrassed that it didn't work. 

I know you won't, but why don't you contact the Carrick in Irvine and ask them about the guy in the pink t shirt and black trackies and one in a black hoody, trackies and hat that were allowed in without a mask on Monday. About 1.30-2.00pm, they can check the CCTV if they can't remember :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's what happens when the government tell you to get a test if you have any symptoms whatsoever and then blames a shortage of tests on people getting tested needlessly. 

You're only supposed to get tested if you have one of three symptoms (it's the temperature one that will probably produce the most negatives): https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/symptoms/

What would you suggest they do instead?

9 hours ago, Do The Dance said:

OK, I agree with your rant on the younger folk, but why was the old bloke not wearing a mask? Let's be honest, all these safety measures are pretty much for his generation alone.

Mask wearing is far more about not spreading rather than not catching isn't it?

Not guaranteed, but more likely the younger one's will be shouting louder.

Pensioners without own teeth likely slever more though....

;)

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, frankblack said:

On a related matter, are other people having issues getting their six monthly dental checkups?

I was due mine in April this year which obviously didn't happen in full lockdown then they arranged for October, but now they have contacted me to arrange for April next year with the excuse of social distancing.  It all seems a bit strange for such a delay to me when hairdresser's and swimming pools are open again.

I don't have issues that I'm aware of but the whole point of checkups is for them to discover problems before they get to a state they need serious action!

I was due my check up in August but received a text saying we must postpone all exam appointments in August. Will be in touch soon.

Don’t know how long I’ll wait.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Decided to take advantage of being childless yesterday and went for lunch. Forgot our masks so picked a couple up in Poundland. Went to the pub and gave our names, listened to the "rules" then went to our table. 

Around ten mins later, an old man in his eighties (at a guess) came in. They refused him entry for a pint because he didn't have a mask to wear. I felt really bad as he didn't quite get why he was knocked back and watched as he left. 

Twenty minutes after that and, without a word of a lie, two cocky *******s in their twenties walk in. Neither has a mask on and when challenged on it they both said "av goat asthma, a dont huv tae wear a mask". The young girl at the desk was clearly out her depth so the manager came over. Again they said had asthma and didn't "huv tae wear a mask". They were then shown to a table with a menu each. 

Really pissed me off no end and I made it known to them when we were leaving that they were out of order. The old wifey next to us said she had never heard of so many young people with asthma. 

Now whether you're pro or anti-mask, if you want to eat or have a pint these days, you need to have a mask on. I choose not to go out to a pub or restaurant much because of that but when I do, I'll wear one.

It really wound me up that someone who has probably knocked his pan in for 60 odd years is refused a pint, probably his only enjoyment of the day, while these young ****ers just blatantly refuse to respect the wishes of the pub so that they can get a ****in burger and chips. 

Sounds like they bottled it.

Tossers.

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

The ‘fashion’ here at the moment is to wear your mask either around the wrist or elbow.

The earring one is also currently ‘in vogue’.

Strangely enough though, my wife claims that wearing a mask does impair her hearing.

😅

My nana seems to think it effects her hearing, but  strangely only when other people are wearing them too and she is having a conversation!!! Don't think she has made the connection yet!

It reminded me of the old Tommy Cooper joke, " Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I touch here, it hurts when I touch here and it hurts when I touch here" and the Doctor said, "you've broke your finger"

16 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Tossers.

I know - should have asked them to produce their inhalers then told them to bolt.

52 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I was meant to be going for mine this Friday but got a text yesterday to say it was cancelled. 

The dentist did say that in phase 3 of the Scottish Government's roadmap dentists aren't allowed to use aerosol treatments. My dentist says that's basically every treatment, including a scale and polish. They also said they can only have a limited number of people per day. 

As a result they've cancelled all routine check-ups. Only emergency treatments allowed.

Салатные палочки
17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Tossers.

Oh 100%. I did feel sorry for the young lass who was asking their details at the front but the manager should have had the bottle to say no. If they're going to let the young ones in without a mask then they might as well have said to the old boy, listen if you say you have a reason not to wear one you can come in for a pint. 

47 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What a nick we’ve got ourselves in. The nonsense hasn’t even begun, every cough and sniffle will be met with people shitting bricks.
How we get out of this is anyone’s guess. 

It’s a ridiculous situation.  hypochondriacs clogging up the testing system because they are booking slots anytime someone coughs within 20 metres of them. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Oh 100%. I did feel sorry for the young lass who was asking their details at the front but the manager should have had the bottle to say no. If they're going to let the young ones in without a mask then they might as well have said to the old boy, listen if you say you have a reason not to wear one you can come in for a pint. 

Also being a licensed premises they don’t even have to give a reason for not serving someone.

16 minutes ago, dtgj said:

I was meant to be going for mine this Friday but got a text yesterday to say it was cancelled. 

The dentist did say that in phase 3 of the Scottish Government's roadmap dentists aren't allowed to use aerosol treatments. My dentist says that's basically every treatment, including a scale and polish. They also said they can only have a limited number of people per day. 

As a result they've cancelled all routine check-ups. Only emergency treatments allowed.

I was at my dentist recently as my crown fell out.

It was either a patch up job or have the tooth extracted.

I went for the patch up.

They are very limited in what they can do and after I left the treatment room has to lie empty for an hour before they can see someone else in there.

7 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Disagree. It's not the managers place to decide whether the lads had asthma or not. The pub did everything correct, in fact they did more than required by pushing back the initial claim of asthma. The failure here is in the system. 

Personally, if it was my premises, I'd have a bunch of cheapo disposable masks for punters like the old boy who forgot. 

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

ssshhh. Some get angry when you mention Sweden.

Meanwhile the rest continue with lockdown, open up, lockdown, open up approach.

Trouble for other governments is that if (and it is still an if but less of an if as time passes) Sweden does better or at least no worse than the rest how will the decision to destroy the economy and disrupt children's education and  ultimately cause more damage than Covid19 be explained and justified. Yesterday we were told that if the absurd "rule of 6" doesn't work in two weeks we will have to go back to full lockdown or widespread lockdown because "lockdown is the only thing we know works". 

(Of course the two week warning will encourage people to take full advantage of the rule of 6 and of the pubs and restaurants while they can and make a return to lockdown more likely)

40 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Same here in the Borders, the only treatment my dentist will carry out is emergency pain relief and that's about all at present.

Got a bit of a blocked nose and sniffles myself. Suppose I’ll have to lock myself in doors for the next 2 weeks, isolate and get booked in for a Covid test. ( :Aye:)

7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Got a bit of a blocked nose and sniffles myself. Suppose I’ll have to lock myself in doors for the next 2 weeks, isolate and get booked in for a Covid test. ( :Aye:)

Careful, a certain poster will be

giphy.gif

Edited by frankblack

9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The govt missed the fact that huge numbers of the population have not the faintest idea if they are ill or not after decades of being told they might have sepsis/cancer/meningitis/mental illness.

One positive of all of this is the amount of money I've been able to save, I usually struggle to stick much away each month. Hardly spent a penny beyond bills during lockdown and now I only do things I really want to do and skip a lot of the more (used to be) 'nice to do' activities. I'm also spending less in the supermarket as I no longer just pop into one to pick up some things.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If the government treated people like adults and had published prominently clear data before schools reopened  about how unlikely children were to contract Covid 19, how even more remote  were the chances of them having Covid19 symptoms even if they did contract it, and how infinitesimal were the chances of a child dying of it are, and the absence of evidence that children are likely to transmit it, then we wouldn't have this problem, or at least less of one.

But the whole approach to Covid19 has been to scare people.

And now if one child (or one teacher, though none has died in the world yet from catching it from a child) were to die following that sort of message all hell would break loose in the media, in parliament, and the now heavily brainwashed public.

We have dug a huge hole and show every sign of just keeping on digging.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, dtgj said:

Interesting I got my six monthly check up fine at my dentist and he did a wee patch up on a chipped tooth.  No spraying or drilling though.  He said that he can only do emergency stuff but can do work for private patients if he has the capacity.

I thought that is a bit weird but was playing with a dentist pal of mine at Dumbarnie last week and lo and behold he said the same.  He also said he was as puzzled by anyone why that was being allowed by the SG.  Now he is not a money grabber in anyway and says it is not fair on NHS patients at all.

Wonder what is going on?  It might be a time available issue.

Edited by joondalupjambo

13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

If the government treated people like adults and had published prominently clear data before schools reopened  about how unlikely children were to contract Covid 19, how even more remote  were the chances of them having Covid19 symptoms even if they did contract it, and how infinitesimal were the chances of a child dying of it are, and the absence of evidence that children are likely to transmit it, then we wouldn't have this problem, or at least less of one.

And now if one child (or one teacher, though none has died in the world yet from catching it from a child) were to die following that sort of message all hell would break loose in the media, in parliament, and the now heavily brainwashed public.

If you treat people like idiots you can't be disappointed when they act like idiots.

We've been treated like morons throughout this and been misled (at one stage, not sure which one) about masks and whether to wear them. It comes as no surprise whatsoever to me that people are acting up.

At the risk of getting harangued like yourself for mentioning Sweden, people keep saying Swede's have observed distancing better etc and can be trusted more. Maybe that's because their government empowered them to do just that?

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What a load of pish. The covid symptoms have been repeated time and time again. Not once has the government told parents to run out and get tests done if their child has the sniffles. It has also stated repeatedly that the risk to children is low and that is why schools are re-opening.

Edited by Ray Gin

Just now, Natural Orders said:

We must plan Christmas on the rule of 6

6 people on Christmas Eve, another 6 Christmas morning, another 6 Christmas afternoon. Rinse and repeat for boxing day. Sorted.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

If we are so concerned about this thing getting out of control again. Why are we not looking to shield the most vulnerable for their own benefit and to reduce pressure on NHS?

Reducing the amount of covid in society is shielding the most vulnerable.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

If we are so concerned about this thing getting out of control again. Why are we not looking to shield the most vulnerable for their own benefit and to reduce pressure on NHS?

What, like in care homes?

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

6 people on Christmas Eve, another 6 Christmas morning, another 6 Christmas afternoon. Rinse and repeat for boxing day. Sorted.

Yup that’s do-able 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, dtgj said:

There must be a lot of doctors doing sfa with mostly only telephone consultations.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic