Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

UBI is the solution.   Always was.    Install a UBI payment system to everyone.    People in employment have their wages deducted through payroll systems with the deductions flowing back to the government.    Obviously some kind of scale of deductions to take account of part time work.   UBI replaces UC and similar benefits.    No separate furloughing required.   Nobody missing out and having to go through the process of claiming UC.   The safety net always exists.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

The numbers would be off because there will be 3000-4000 people being needlessly tested each day. 

Offshore workers are classed as key workers, are you suggesting that key workers who are tested shouldn't be counted because they are asymptomatic?

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Offshore workers are classed as key workers, are you suggesting that key workers who are tested shouldn't be counted because they are asymptomatic?

I have no idea how you've gotten to that, based on what I said.

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I have no idea how you've gotten to that, based on what I said.

You said that the R0 figure would be wrong as thousands are being tested needlessly every day. Apologies if I've interpreted you wrong.

13 minutes ago, graygo said:

You said that the R0 figure would be wrong as thousands are being tested needlessly every day. Apologies if I've interpreted you wrong.

I meant needlessly counted. My apologies on the poor phrasing. It would be like including the test results of the SPFL teams as the as part of the daily figures. Pretty pointless imo.

I am sure this was discussed before, i.e. how accurate is the testing process if you are testing, re-testing and testing again the same people over and over on a weekly, or sometimes daily basis (which was my point regarding the Offshore workers). This doesn't really tell us much about the virus spread and could skew the R number.

Edit: I should add, that given our discussion regarding the accuracy of the tests, I am sure you would argue that the testing process is completely needless 😉

Edited by jambo89

3 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I meant needlessly counted. My apologies on the poor phrasing. It would be like including the test results of the SPFL teams as the as part of the daily figures. Pretty pointless imo.

I am sure this was discussed before, i.e. how accurate is the testing process if you are testing, re-testing and testing again the same people over and over on a weekly, or sometimes daily basis (which was my point regarding the Offshore workers). This doesn't really tell us much about the virus spread and could skew the R number.

One of our GP partners has been tested 4 times now.

Had to- each of her kids spiked temps at different times, then her husband.

all -ve.

Missed loads of time off her work

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

One of our GP partners has been tested 4 times now.

Had to- each of her kids spiked temps at different times, then her husband.

all -ve.

Missed loads of time off her work

As I said previously, I've been tested 8 times, although not because of the situation you described. I assume the time she has missed has been 3 days at a time? i.e. temperature spikes, 48 hrs isolation, tested, 24 hrs for results, negative then back to work the next day? times that by 4 and it certainly does add up!

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

High risk drinking in England has apparently doubled since the start of lockdown.

I have to concede I didn’t drink before lockdown, the ****er came along and I start drinking and pretty quickly ramped up. Recently stoped again as no real benefit come from alcohol and it had just become a habit.  

I would imagine we, across the UK the trend will have been repeated. Middle aged drinkers hammering the vino collapso at home will probably be biggest culprits. 

Aye same. It's the once that haven't been able to stop I feel for :(

Adding to say I did drink a bit before rather than never but it really ramped up. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

High risk drinking in England has apparently doubled since the start of lockdown.

I have to concede I didn’t drink before lockdown, the ****er came along and I start drinking and pretty quickly ramped up. Recently stoped again as no real benefit come from alcohol and it had just become a habit.  

I would imagine we, across the UK the trend will have been repeated. Middle aged drinkers hammering the vino collapso at home will probably be biggest culprits. 

There is no way we should allow this, its a source of national pride that we drink more than those dahn sahf.

I fully expect Nicola to limit sobriety to those under 12, and only on  a wednesday

Dennis Reynolds
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Not sure what you mean by the numbers being off and the R rate being higher if I'm right, if I'm right then the figures being published will be correct.

By the way, there is no way that TAC's testing figures are not being counted.

They're not. The testing isn't aligned with NHS testing. Any positive results are sent to NHS labs for confirmation. They're also currently rolling out the 12 minute test which again, won't be counted towards the daily total. That may change in the future bit not right now. The same as the three Hamilton players today. These won't be counted until they are tested by an NHS lab.

4 minutes ago, LMc said:

They're not. The testing isn't aligned with NHS testing. Any positive results are sent to NHS labs for confirmation. They're also currently rolling out the 12 minute test which again, won't be counted towards the daily total. That may change in the future bit not right now. The same as the three Hamilton players today. These won't be counted until they are tested by an NHS lab.

I've been wrong before and will be wrong again but can you link a source to any of this? Particularly the 12 minute testing not being counted because the information I'm seeing is that these testing machines all report the data.

"Because the instruments connect to a cloud system, outbreaks of COVID-19 can be tracked quickly by health authorities playing a vital role in Scotland’s Test and Protect strategy."

https://www.gov.scot/news/12-minute-covid-tests/

19 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

There is no way we should allow this, its a source of national pride that we drink more than those dahn sahf.

I fully expect Nicola to limit sobriety to those under 12, and only on  a wednesday

Hopefully people who are drinking too much get the help they need 

2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Hopefully people who are drinking too much get the help they need 

they wont.

everything is coming second to covid and the backlogs are horrific

Dennis Reynolds
44 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've been wrong before and will be wrong again but can you link a source to any of this? Particularly the 12 minute testing not being counted because the information I'm seeing is that these testing machines all report the data.

"Because the instruments connect to a cloud system, outbreaks of COVID-19 can be tracked quickly by health authorities playing a vital role in Scotland’s Test and Protect strategy."

https://www.gov.scot/news/12-minute-covid-tests/

That's NHS testing. Whenever they get round to using them they may be aligned with private testing but at the moment, they're not. 

48 hospitalisations compared to 260 using old measurements. How can people trust them to make correct and sensible decisions when the measurements they use are so incredibly wrong?

6 minutes ago, Jambo4050 said:

48 hospitalisations compared to 260 using old measurements. How can people trust them to make correct and sensible decisions when the measurements they use are so incredibly wrong?

That’s incredible.  

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Never been an issue with me . I’ve never drank at home , just don’t see the point and if so only occasionally if heading for a night out . However I can understand people boozeing at home as the pubs are dire at the present time . 

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Weekly deaths from this in the UK are below 100 for the first time since March and overall deaths are 1403 below the five year average. 

Those who died in March and April died a few months earlier than they would have.

17 minutes ago, Jambo4050 said:

Wow 

35 minutes ago, LMc said:

That's NHS testing. Whenever they get round to using them they may be aligned with private testing but at the moment, they're not. 

👍

22 hours ago, redjambo said:

@Nucky Thompson: Just a heads up, because I know you are interested in it, that today's stats from the SG indicate that the revised hospital figures are going to take effect as of tomorrow.

21 hours ago, graygo said:

Be interesting to see what effect that will have on the hospital numbers. I've a feeling a new argument for the "doom mongers" will need to be found.

25 minutes ago, Jambo4050 said:

What now?

Greater Glasgow and surrounding regions showing signs of the climb decelerating.   Lothian numbers are on the upswing.   Hope to see that arrest a bit or maybe measures will be considered for here.

Just informed, looks like from today, the Scottish government will stop counting patients who no longer have Covid. The first minister explains, 'lots of people are classified as being Covid patients, even if they have recovered and are being treated for something else.'

From Twitter.  Maybe we need to recount the actual deaths from covid? Wonder if it would justify the lockdowns? 

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

What's the story with hospitalisations? 

They were counting people who had tested positive but weren't being treated for it in hospital as being hospitalised with Covid-19, now they don't.

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

What's the story with hospitalisations? 

I think it’s to do with the way they are counted.  Previously if you tested positive and then ended up in hospital for another reason that was still being classed as a covid hospitalisation.

now they are counting folk that are in hospital because they have Covid. 

That’s my understanding but could be wrong 

33 minutes ago, Jambo4050 said:

Who would have thought they were lying all along....

AlphonseCapone

Good to see they've refined the flawed methodology. Common occurance in statistics. 

Oh sorry framed that wrong. Government conspiracy confirmed, all to keep us sheeple locked down and wearing masks. Outraged at this. Unprecedented etc. 

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

They were counting people who had tested positive but weren't being treated for it in hospital as being hospitalised with Covid-19, now they don't.

Cheers 👍

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Less common occurrence to keep a flawed methodology for so long. 

Also less common for methodology to be under such media and public interest. Not surprised it took longer to make the move. 

For every they kept this methodology for as long as an excuse for lockdown, there would have been a, they changed this methodology to cover up the mess they've made. They'll never win. 

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Nae guising for the kids this year by the look of it😞

But that's historically the record day for mask wearing 🤔 

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

People use stats to aid in a ‘narrative’ governments are not different. ‘Tis all.

👍

I'm glad they introduced the revised measuring methodology for hospital patients. More accurate stats are always useful.

In other news, three of my family have tested positive for Covid. One of them was due to go on a car journey with my elderly mum but, due to the initial member of the family being found positive, cried off the day before. Concerns for the family members involved, of course, but also huge sigh of relief that my mum didn't get infected, and how close that was to not being the case.

Stay vigilant, folks.

Edited by redjambo

I notice there a few regular posters on this staying very quiet about the new way of counting hospital “ cases “ 48 as opposed to 260 yesterday . Not surprised they are quiet tbh we should be rejoicing . The SG clearly been at it . 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I'm glad they introduced the revised measuring methodology for hospital patients. More accurate stats are always useful.

In other news, three of my family have tested positive for Covid. One of them was due to go on a car journey with my elderly mum but, due to the initial member of the family being found positive, cried off the day before. Concerns for the family members involved, of course, but also huge sigh of relief that my mum didn't get infected, and how close that was to not being the case.

Stay vigilant, folks.

👍

4 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

I notice there a few regular posters on this staying very quiet about the new way of counting hospital “ cases “ 48 as opposed to 260 yesterday . Not surprised they are quiet tbh we should be rejoicing . The SG clearly been at it . 

Christ Almighty, the figure was only released in the last hour.

AlphonseCapone
15 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

People use stats to aid in a ‘narrative’ governments are not different. ‘Tis all.

Absolutely. 

manaliveits105
15 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

The kilted police will be along in a minute 

43 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Good to see they've refined the flawed methodology. Common occurance in statistics. 

Oh sorry framed that wrong. Government conspiracy confirmed, all to keep us sheeple locked down and wearing masks. Outraged at this. Unprecedented etc. 

😂 😂 😂

48 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Greater Glasgow and surrounding regions showing signs of the climb decelerating.   Lothian numbers are on the upswing.   Hope to see that arrest a bit or maybe measures will be considered for here.

16 minutes ago, graygo said:

So out of a population of around 5 million there is 48 people in hospital due to Covid-19, that's less than 0.001%

99.999% of us are not in hospital.

I'd say all in all, a pretty good news day! We just need to keep an eye on the infection rate but feeling more positive / optimistic!

I still can't work out what could possibly be in it for the government, any government, to deliberately trash the economy for a lie. Can any of the flat earthers on here tell me why they would do it. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I still can't work out what could possibly be in it for the government, any government, to deliberately trash the economy for a lie. Can any of the flat earthers on here tell me why they would do it. 

Hahahahaha I was just going to call them that 👍🏽👏🏾

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

There are some who just like to moan about any type of authority 

2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

There are some who just like to moan about any type of authority 

Whats your view about the new hospital figures ?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic