Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

23 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Whatever happened to the antibody tests we were told would be vital in getting out of this?

We have it. It’s just not that vital to getting out of this. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

5 new diseases every year and one every decade that will crash economies.

'Sake.

Bill Gates has made a number of speeches on this.  Basically the western governments got complacent and didn't plan for a pandemic despite a few near misses in SARS, Bird Flu etc.

Here's a speech from 2015 that was sadly prophetic:

It isn't all doom and gloom with the correct investments and planning.

11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Expensive to organise and the Gov't are skint. I'd be willing to chuck a few quid at one if they were available.

Can get one if you wish. Costs about £65 I think. 

12 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Seems to have a paywall.

Didn't for me.  Open it in incognito mode.

Edited by frankblack

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Can get one if you wish. Costs about £65 I think. 

They pulled those on reliability grounds.

Hadn't been validated for capillary blood iirc.

Also, if a load of folk found out they'd already had it then the task of keeping the general population to heel would become a lot trickier than it already is.

I think I have the answer to end the pandemic.

What if every single person on the planet went into a strict 2 week isolation at the same time? Would it end the virus?

Sounds bonkers but in hindsight I'm sure everyone would have happily done this in march if it meant it would have ended the virus.

Half serious with this one by the way.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

5 new diseases every year and one every decade that will crash economies.

'Sake.

We need more crashed economies imo.

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You love yourself a bit of chaos, don't you. :)

Without order nothing can exist-without chaos nothing can evolve.

👍

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Without order nothing can exist-without chaos nothing can evolve.

👍

Smashing, big fan of the Pistols are we?

With the state Boris was in, you'd think he would be more brutal about the affects and effects of Covid-19. 

Edited by ri Alban

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Total Lockdown will come again next week. 

Source?

For where or just a guess or hope it does 

joondalupjambo

If Boris wants Christmas to take place for the economy, then if the numbers do not drop in the next few weeks a three or four week lock down from mid October would be on a draft plan no?

9 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

would advise everyone to watch this.

Why lockdown and masks made no difference as well as detailing why climate has made a difference. 

Interesting video. 

There is a few things that I would pick up on and/or would like clarification on so if you wouldn't mind:-

At the start he uses excess deaths during a high strong flu season and compares it to the this flu season. 

1st why pick a high flu season to compare? Why not just pick last year? That is usually a red flag. 

2nd on his graph, the 'excess deaths' , that he claims is only an extra 40,000, looks like it only includes numbers pre-covid spike. Is that correct? Would maybe extinguish his 'dry-tinder' argument.

He then moves on to Sweden and compares models / predictions. Has he used the Ferguson model? It states that Sweden, with the strictest of models would've had 26,000 deaths. That seems odd as I seem to recall that the prediction model for the UK estimated 30,000 deaths with the 'strictest' lock-down measures introduced. Why would Sweden have 26,000 predicted deaths, when the UK, nearly 7 times the population, only have 30,000? is he confusing models / using different prediction methods to eschew different numbers?

If Lock-down has had no impact, why are the numbers of infection so different between the Nordic countries.

Sweden 37,000 infections

Denmark 12,000 infections

Norway 8,000 infections 

Finland 7,000 infections 

*numbers correct as of the 22nd of July.

The video goes on to try and explain why there is such differing infection rates between countries that are so closely aligned (socially, politically, geographically etc.)   and ends up doing some fantastic mental gymnastics. 

He says that Sweden has achieved community immunity (lies) due to not locking down and also goes on to completely contradict himself. at 10.33 of the video, he shows a graph, with 'low winter flu season' on the x-axis and 'high covid death rate' on the y-axis. The implication here is that those countries with a high flu season 'killed off' all there sick and elderly and so suffered less covid deaths. But looking at the graph, Holland and Norway appear to have had similar flu seasons, which completely contradicts the previous minute and a half. 

There is then a scientific paper / article that he links to in the segment. It mentions there are '16 reasons' why Sweden is worse hit than it's Nordic neighbours and none are to do with 'not locking down'.

There are several issues I take with the article. Firstly, it has yet to be peer reviewed, which is never a good sign. Secondly, the authors are not epidemiologists, but professors of 'Business' and 'Economics', who I would suggest might have a bias against any lock down measures.  Thirdly, if you actually read it,  the authors openly admit to bias, with their opening statement of 'we have been openly sceptical of lock-down measures since the beginning' line. 

There is a lot wrong with the video and I certainly wouldn't be using that as evidence against another lock-down.

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully someone's family doesn't suffer these trivial numbers. This only insert number dead, is the height of ignorance and only makes me think of the reaction if only 3 died in their own families. 

Its a pretty standard medical thing TBH.

The likes of SIGN  and NIHCE look at a "treatment" then look at what it does, then decide whether to go ahead with it.

For example- a new breast cancer drug costs £52 million per annum, and extends the lives of the patients who qualify by 2 years. THey decide that £52 million could save more lives if spent elsewhere so the treatment is declined .

Where are these bodies at the moment? Not a peep. Why?

The current "treatment" has cost £300 billion pounds,  imagine what that little pile could do to child poverty/ cancer care/ homelessness and the lives that could save?

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

If we go into lockdown again we are going to have the same issue when we go to unlock it. I think we may see tougher restrictions but I don’t think we see another National lock down. 

I can't understand why the governments aren't taking action to deal with those who ignore the rules and are the problem.  I've said before, but a zero tolerance approach on public transport and shops would be a starting point.

I thought Tesco were supposed to be introducing a policy where anyone not wearing a mask could buy one at the door or be refused entry?  That was in England, but Tesco have stopped all checks for social distancing.

I can't find it, but popped up on Twitter one of the scientists that predicted what would happen from late March onwards is commenting a repeat only a fortnight away from happening again.

So hope he is wrong.

Edited by DETTY29

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I thought Tesco were supposed to be introducing a policy where anyone not wearing a mask could buy one at the door or be refused entry?  That was in England, but Tesco have stopped all checks for social distancing.

Was that before or after they cancelled the contract for cleaners in the local shops?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/23/tesco-staff-take-cleaning-duties-toilets-floors-almost-2000-stores-13029767/

13 minutes ago, OBE said:

Spain had a proper total lockdown, we didn't.

And now they are coming out its climbing again.

There was no thought into how to get out once in.

13 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

And now they are coming out its climbing again.

There was no thought into how to get out once in.

Should've asked China, they have previous experience.

1 hour ago, Ma Roon said:

Source?

For where or just a guess or hope it does 

Who's hoping for a lockdown? Other than the rage Brigade

4 minutes ago, OBE said:

Should've asked China, they have previous experience.

Like you would get an honest answer, right?

A country of a billion people, where it broke out, yet have as many cases as the Isle of Skye

8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Like you would get an honest answer, right?

A country of a billion people, where it broke out, yet have as many cases as the Isle of Skye

They have more than Scotland, but they shut the place down, no fecking around. We allowed the Borders to stay open and had a PM going about (And actively encouraging) Shacking hands with covid carriers. 

I'm not too critical of any government, about Covid, (except Trump) but FFS. 😬

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

You are probably right, but it could be back in a month if the trend continues.

Nope.

That's the whole point in local lockdowns. To avoid a national lockdown.

1 minute ago, Herbert said:

Nope.

Too late, the knumbskull deniers have passed it on to too many folk. The snowball is now Unstoppable. Cheers, dafties! 

1 minute ago, Herbert said:

Nope.

Once you hit a certain threshold of local lockdowns the next step is a national lockdown.

12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Once you hit a certain threshold of local lockdowns the next step is a national lockdown.

:spoton:When the lights all turn red, it's full lockdown. It good to see all nations pulling together for this six thingy. 

AlphonseCapone
52 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:spoton:When the lights all turn red, it's full lockdown. It good to see all nations pulling together for this six thingy. 

Disagree tbh. I don't there's any need for nations to pull together on any of this, decisions should be made on what is best for each area, if it happens to coincide then fair enough. The same principle applies within country too. If something is an issue in Lothian then the solution applies to Lothian. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Governor Tarkin
On 10/09/2020 at 21:52, Lord BJ said:

We’re all pimps or ho’s in life bud 🤷🏻‍♂️

As an aside the name one of my favourite books is called Pimp: Story of my life by Iceberg Slim. Recommend it, I suspect the story and the psychological aspects to the game will appeal to you. 

He was quite the chap, was he not.

I'll try and fit that one in while I still can. :(

Latest bus trip , 8 passengers on lower deck , myself and 2 others wearing masks , seems that Lothian buses No 2 route are Covid free zones 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

It might be the feet resting on the seats in front are offering some protection😡😡😡

What are people on about a national lockdown for ? For what ? Minimal deaths , 7 in 2 and a half months ! England has a few deaths on average per day . There won’t be another national lockdown unless the lunatics have taken over the asylum 

50 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

So more masking = more cases 

No, it's the releasing of lockdown, more testing, measures not being complied with including near not 100% mask wearing when asked.

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

What are people on about a national lockdown for ? For what ? Minimal deaths , 7 in 2 and a half months ! England has a few deaths on average per day . There won’t be another national lockdown unless the lunatics have taken over the asylum 

In case you haven't noticed, they have.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic