Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Evidence of transmission from young to old particularly young to very old?

Not a may be or may not be question.

I don't actually know what you're on about now.   :D

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, fair point. I agree, the figures need to be sustained for a longer period and, hopefully they will be. Just my opinion but I'm not sure there will be a great appetite in the scientific world to prove that the virus is weakening though.

All I know is that I'm weakening.   The crackpots have done me.    Hope to see some good news soon. 

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

My reply was in context of the poster wanting to sacrifice people to save a few jobs.

As for my situation, I'm having to work 9-10 hour days, 5 days a week without overtime.  There are job losses coming but its not clear if it will affect my section.

Hopefully your not affected. I won't be in my line of work  ., in fact ill be even more busy due to the effects of massive job losses, sadly.   

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Hopefully your not affected. I won't be in my line of work  ., in fact ill be even more busy due to the effects of massive job losses, sadly.   

Cheers.  I have had to take on more since lockdown, and people always expect you to be available.  Friday I had a day full of meetings that were an endurance battle I could have done without.

If I'm not affected I expect to be snowed under until the new year.

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You have had a shocker tonight. :rofl:

If you are going to jump onto a reply, try and follow the previous posts in the chain.

Ok I will reply to your post just above  suggesting a poster wanted to sacrifice lives to save a few jobs. What is your definition of a few jobs? And saving how many lives would justify saving how many jobs? One life for a thousand jobs? Ten thousand? A hundred thousand? A million?

11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Ok I will reply to your post just above  suggesting a poster wanted to sacrifice lives to save a few jobs. What is your definition of a few jobs? And saving how many lives would justify saving how many jobs? One life for a thousand jobs? Ten thousand? A hundred thousand? A million?

The day the country adopts a lunatics policy of sacrificing the weak and vulnerable for economic gain then the country is ****ed.

Francis Albert
Just now, frankblack said:

The day the country adopts a lunatics policy of sacrificing the weak and vulnerable for economic gain then the country is ****ed.

You a avoid the question. So we should sacrifice one million jobs to save one life?  The country and the world would be well and truly ****ed if that was the over-riding principle.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

You a avoid the question. So we should sacrifice one million jobs to save one life?  The country and the world would be well and truly ****ed if that was the over-riding principle.

I'll put it back to you - would you sacrifice another 50,000 lives to save a debatable number of jobs?

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

:rofl:

Is this not how basically every country in the world operates, or has done at some point?

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

The evidence - not the science , which is a vague And nebulous term- would suggest something has changed

Weaker than a pishy pint of Tennent’s is my verdict. 

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

You think killing off everyone with health conditions (many tens of thousands) is better than a few people losing their jobs?

You would be better moving to North Korea where your views are better aligned.

Or stay here as we are turning in to north Korea....

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

You’ve finally managed to work google. Maybe this new found skill will stop you from asking tedious questions..

Back on topic, if my mum had nuts she would be my dad.

That’s what that article screams to me. 

23 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'll put it back to you - would you sacrifice another 50,000 lives to save a debatable number of jobs?

How many actually died from as opposed to with covid? 

15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:rofl:

Is this not how basically every country in the world operates, or has done at some point?

:cornette_dog:

Do pray give a comparable example where the government willingly sacrifices tens of thousands of people to life-threatening viruses?

Adam_the_legend
30 minutes ago, frankblack said:

we already do. Many old people die from the flu each year and we don’t take these measures. The fact is if we locked down or even socially distanced each winter it would save lives. But we don’t because life is about balancing risk. No matter what action or inaction is taken people WILL die. We need to figure out a way to live with this virus, it’s not going away probably for decades or longer so current measures are unsustainable. 

4 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

we already do. Many old people die from the flu each year and we don’t take these measures. The fact is if we locked down or even socially distanced each winter it would save lives. But we don’t because life is about balancing risk. No matter what action or inaction is taken people WILL die. We need to figure out a way to live with this virus, it’s not going away probably for decades or longer so current measures are unsustainable. 

Last time I checked Flu has had vaccinations and other means of treatment for a number of decades.

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Last time I checked Flu has had vaccinations and other means of treatment for a number of decades.

And yet people still die of it every year. We could do more to protect the elderly from the flu but we don’t. This applies to most illnesses that transmit through the population. Your original point was that it would be lunacy to essentially let people die when we can change our behaviour to help them but we already do that. There has to a balance of risk. To be clear, I’m not saying we should just let the vulnerable die but there is a societal cost to going too far one way or the other, I think balance is key. We’re right to be cautious of Covid but the other side of the equation needs to work too. 

19 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

You just won the prize for "most unsubstantiated nonsense post" on the thread.

Adam_the_legend
37 minutes ago, graygo said:

You just won the prize for "most unsubstantiated nonsense post" on the thread.

Jason Leitch said earlier this would become endemic and something we’d need to live with for a very long time. I interpreted that as decades. He did use the word endemic though 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Cheers.  I have had to take on more since lockdown, and people always expect you to be available.  Friday I had a day full of meetings that were an endurance battle I could have done without.

If I'm not affected I expect to be snowed under until the new year.

👍

6 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Jason Leitch said earlier this would become endemic and something we’d need to live with for a very long time. I interpreted that as decades. He did use the word endemic though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jason Leitch had better tell the world then and maybe tell the dozens of companies trying to develop a vaccine to stop as they are wasting their time.

It might well become endemic but without having heard him myself I doubt that he said that "it would become endemic and something we’d need to live with for a very long time". He doesn't know!!

Edited by graygo

Adam_the_legend
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Jason Leitch had better tell the world then and maybe tell the dozens of companies trying to develop a vaccine to stop as they are wasting their time.

It might well become endemic but without having heard him myself I doubt that he said that "it would become endemic and something we’d need to live with for a very long time". He doesn't know!!

listen to the off the ball podcast, you can hear it for yourself. 

Edited by Adam_the_legend
Spelling

7 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

listen to the off the ball podcast, you can hear it for yourself. 

I'll take your word for it that he said it but he shouldn't have because nobody knows. Like I said, it might become endemic but it's pretty irresponsible for a National Clinical Director to state that it will.

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, graygo said:

I'll take your word for it that he said it but he shouldn't have because nobody knows. Like I said, it might become endemic but it's pretty irresponsible for a National Clinical Director to state that it will.

He compared it to how we live with flu. John Sutton asked him a question and that’s how he answered it. It’s not irresponsible if it’s true and he seemed very sure in his answer. 

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

He compared it to how we live with flu. John Sutton asked him a question and that’s how he answered it. It’s not irresponsible if it’s true and he seemed very sure in his answer. 

It's not true though, it's a possibility.

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

It's not true though, it's a possibility.

He probably said there's a chance. Doubt he said it unequivocally. You're both arguing for nothing. 

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

He probably said there's a chance. Doubt he said it unequivocally. You're both arguing for nothing. 

Give it a listen. Today’s off the ball podcast 1:01 in. If you still think I’m talking 💩 the fair enough 

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I've not got any issue if he said there's a chance tbf.

8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm in Northumberland at my holiday park. It lets you book once per day in each venue. There are 5 different venues 

Not sure if the rules are different in England

You own  holiday park? 

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

Your happy for about 49k people that are very old or dying/have serious medical conditions to live on a extra few months to a couple of years but devastate communities for decades? Look what mass unemployment and no job opportunities have done to former pit towns, Look at methil. 

10 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Why is this thread seperate from the main cornavirus thread? Let's bring all the stupidity together into one big thread. 

aye

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, frankblack said:

:cornette_dog:

Do pray give a comparable example where the government willingly sacrifices tens of thousands of people to life-threatening viruses?

I was laughing at your general indignation at the fact that a country may have the audacity to chuck it's lower classes to the wolves in the pursuit of economic gain. I didn't mention viruses, and neither did your post I quoted. You can ram your wee goggley eyed dog up your arse. Cheers.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I was laughing at your general indignation at the fact that a country may have the audacity to chuck it's lower classes to the wolves in the pursuit of economic gain. I didn't mention viruses, and neither did your post I quoted. You can ram your wee goggley eyed dog up your arse. Cheers.

:( Posting before first coffee of the day, sorry frank.

I stand by my general point but I'll take back the arsey bit.

rudiatemyhamster
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Your happy for about 49k people that are very old or dying/have serious medical conditions to live on a extra few months to a couple of years but devastate communities for decades? Look what mass unemployment and no job opportunities have done to former pit towns, Look at methil. 

The issue with COVID-19 isn’t so much the death part.  A high amount of mild sufferers go on to develop a pneumonia which takes a long time to clear up.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

The issue with COVID-19 isn’t so much the death part.  A high amount of mild sufferers go on to develop a pneumonia which takes a long time to clear up.

You got figures for that?

I'd be interested to see the long term health impacts of mild COVID-19 aside the long term health impacts of comparable corona viruses, and maybe even the long term health impacts of the suspension/reduction of treatments for other illnesses.

It's going to be a horrible juggling act for some time to come.

The Mighty Thor
15 hours ago, frankblack said:

I agree.  The arseholes not following the rules need hammered by the law so the rest aren't put back into lockdown.

Not often we agree Frank but I 100% agree with you on this.

I'd go further. I'd lock down the under 25s. The majority of them have no skin in the game. No mortgage no responsibility outside an iPhone contract and xbox subscription. 

If they're the spreaders and the age group least likely to play along then feck them. Lock them down and let the rest of us go about our business. 

27 minutes ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

So its not covid that's putting people into hospital its pneumonia now 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The people supporting restrictions and lockdowns need to open their eyes. 

11 minutes ago, Herbert said:

So its not covid that's putting people into hospital its pneumonia now 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The people supporting restrictions and lockdowns need to open their eyes. 

Wow so much ignorance :rofl:

If only CV19 didn’t cause pneumonia...

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Yes. I have dried my eyes.

Not that they needed to be dried.

If I were you, I would keep an eye on what is happening. 

:vrwow:

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

My boys got a game of football this morning. We’ve been requested not to stay and watch the game. Not sure if a standard thing, anyone else had similar?

Yes, not allowed.

11 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Source article here. I encourage anyone that is interested to read the original commentary and ignore the Telegraph article. The author of the Telegraph article doesn't seem to know the difference between a theory and a hypothesis, which is a bit grim for a so called quality newspaper.

46 minutes ago, kila said:

Wow so much ignorance :rofl:

If only CV19 didn’t cause pneumonia...

So have the pneumonia death rates soared since covid came onto the scene?

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, frankblack said:

Your response answers my question. Clearly to shut down the economy to save one life would be ridiculous. There is a higher number where it would be justifiable. There is a trade off.

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, frankblack said:

50k is the average monthly death rate in the UK with or without CoVid. 

46 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

My boys got a game of football this morning. We’ve been requested not to stay and watch the game. Not sure if a standard thing, anyone else had similar?

Watched my lad this morning at Dovecot Park along with the rest of Dads that turn up weekly. Just weren’t allowed to stand beside the Pitch

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic