• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlphonseCapone
4 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

We need 5 times that though!

Is there anyone on here who still hasn't downloaded the App? (Obviously you have to live in Scotland and not have a Nokia 800)

2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

I read this morning that it will be effective with just over 800,000 users. 

The Scottish government has pointed to an Oxford University study, which claims that even with an uptake of just 15%, a contact tracing app can drive down infections by about 8% and deaths by about 6% - if it is part of a manual track and trace strategy.

In Scotland, 15% of the adult population equates to about 689,000 people. The app was downloaded in Scotland by more than 360,000 people in the first 24 hours.

From the BBC.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

3,500+ cases in UK today. 

6 new deaths. 

I see they tested 228,000 that posted a result.

Also people in hospital down 27 and ICU down by 2 from yesterday

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

drive down infections by about 8% and deaths by about 6% 

What's 6% of zero :P

Nucky Thompson

Who the feck are the independent sage group, a bunch of rejects who weren't good enough to advise the UK government?

All you hear from them is bullshit

27 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I see they tested 228,000 that posted a result.

Also people in hospital down 27 and ICU down by 2 from yesterday

Why don't the media/sturgeon lead with these kinds of figures? All I've heard on the radio today is the number of cases has risen dramatically. Not that the killer virus isn't really an killer virus now.

21 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Why don't the media/sturgeon lead with these kinds of figures? All I've heard on the radio today is the number of cases has risen dramatically. Not that the killer virus isn't really an killer virus now.

She mentions them in every briefing within the first 5 minutes. 

Captain Sausage

I live in France and the prime minister came out this evening with many expecting the announcement of lockdowns, school and work closures, restaurants shut etc. 

Instead, he reminded people to wash their hands and told old people to be extra careful :lol:

Feels very much that the French are now focussing on returning society to a modicum of normality in spite of the rising cases and hospitalisations. Castex quoted the intensive care numbers remaining stable as a key reason. 

Brighton Jambo
24 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Karma's a bitch - I live in East Kilbride and my sons best pal was coming over for the day tomorrow, he's now gutted that this can't happen......

Sorry to hear that.  I just long for the day, as we all do, when we can all sit in a pub with no restrictions and look back on all this. 

Nucky Thompson
18 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I live in France and the prime minister came out this evening with many expecting the announcement of lockdowns, school and work closures, restaurants shut etc. 

Instead, he reminded people to wash their hands and told old people to be extra careful :lol:

Feels very much that the French are now focussing on returning society to a modicum of normality in spite of the rising cases and hospitalisations. Castex quoted the intensive care numbers remaining stable as a key reason. 

Vive La France 

27 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Tres bien 

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

Perhaps because they're not the Scottish figures?

In Scotland today, the number of hospital cases rose by 3 (11 more than a week ago) and the number of folk in ICU rose by 1 (4 more than a week ago).

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Perhaps because they're not the Scottish figures?

In Scotland today, the number of hospital cases rose by 3 (11 more than a week ago) and the number of folk in ICU rose by 1 (4 more than a week ago).

They are the UK figures as a whole, Scotland included 

The Scottish hospital cases might have dropped by 100 this week if the SG had changed the way that they counted them

At the moment the key figures to follow are the new positive cases.   Coffin and ambulance counting is a fool's errand at the moment.   Wait and see how the current steeply rising infections translate through to the sharp end.   From about 4-6 weeks time and onwards.

Let's see if you're still lauding the sharp end stats in November.   I hope you are tbh.

7 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Where do you stay?

6 hours ago, graygo said:

Hamilton.

What a Belter...:biggrin2:

Edited by OBE

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

At the moment the key figures to follow are the new positive cases.   Coffin and ambulance counting is a fool's errand at the moment.   Wait and see how the current steeply rising infections translate through to the sharp end.   From about 4-6 weeks time and onwards.

Let's see if you're still lauding the sharp end stats in November.   I hope you are tbh.

It's now went from 2 weeks to 4-6 weeks. The infections have been rising fast for over a month now, even longer in Spain and France.

In 4-6 weeks are you going to say lets wait 8-10 weeks?

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

They are the UK figures as a whole, Scotland included 

The Scottish hospital cases might have dropped by 100 this week if the SG had changed the way that they counted them

I look forward to the revised figures, but a drop of e.g. 100 after revision will only illustrate the accounting change, not indicate the day-on-day trend which in Scotland is currently upwards.

Anyway, that wasn't the reason I originally posted. Herbert assumed that your figures were Scottish figures and so referred to Sturgeon in his/her post. I was setting the record straight.

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Le Tory batards 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I look forward to the revised figures, but a drop of e.g. 100 after revision will only illustrate the accounting change, not indicate the day-on-day trend which in Scotland is currently upwards.

Anyway, that wasn't the reason I originally posted. Herbert assumed that your figures were Scottish figures and so referred to Sturgeon in his/her post. I was setting the record straight.

No worries :thumb:

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's now went from 2 weeks to 4-6 weeks. The infections have been rising fast for over a month now, even longer in Spain and France.

In 4-6 weeks are you going to say lets wait 8-10 weeks?

It's the knock-on consequences of current infections amongst the younger demographic.    The cases are rising in the young,   some of whom will transmit it onwards and eventually community transmission will affect the more susceptible.   It's unavoidable.    The effects of this spike are a while off yet. 

Edited by Victorian

The absence of rising critical case numbers arising out of a distinct spike will be great.   The proof will follow in due course if this hopefully comes to pass.   But it's naive to expect it soon.   It's the onward transmissions from current cases that are key.

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, been here before said:

North and South Lanarkshire in lockdown.

TwitinHamilton

Can it extend to posting, question mark

Seymour M Hersh
13 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Meanwhile, back in Sweden a government with a properly thought out strategy managed to get by without threatening and criminalising its citizens .........

th.jpeg

Just now, tcjambo said:

Time for Sturgeon and Johnson to go. Totally incompetent and perpetuating this bollocks. Follow the science!

But who'll be better? Serious question, a bit like Trump or Biden it's a piss poor state of politics.

14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

But who'll be better? Serious question, a bit like Trump or Biden it's a piss poor state of politics.

Tegnell for a start or Carl Heneghan. I never ever thought I would say this but even Peter Hitchens would do a better job lol

Edited by tcjambo

15 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Meanwhile, back in Sweden a government with a properly thought out strategy managed to get by without threatening and criminalising its citizens .........

Properly thought out? Even the Swedes admitted they didn't get their strategy right: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

Also, at one point the restrictions in Sweden were even tighter than those in France. However, in saying that, the Swedes concentrated on individual responsibility. Perhaps that's because the Swedes are more responsible? A quick glance through this very thread will amply the illustrate the irresponsible nature of many of we Brits when it comes to even following advice and guidelines. In Sweden, folk who broke the advice and the regulations were publicly shamed by their peers. Here, I wouldn't go as far as to say that they were celebrated, but how often have we heard things like "They're just young, you can't stop them having fun".

Seymour M Hersh

All the face nappy law has done is allow this sort of nonsense. 

newFile-1.jpg

Louis Vuitton is launching a luxury face shield that provides a fashionable alternative to the traditional utilitarian form of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

The LV Shield, as it’s been called, can double up as a cap and costs £750.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

All the face nappy law has done is allow this sort of nonsense. 

newFile-1.jpg

Louis Vuitton is launching a luxury face shield that provides a fashionable alternative to the traditional utilitarian form of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

The LV Shield, as it’s been called, can double up as a cap and costs £750.

I'd want her chucked in for that money.

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Properly thought out? Even the Swedes admitted they didn't get their strategy right: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

Also, at one point the restrictions in Sweden were even tighter than those in France. However, in saying that, the Swedes concentrated on individual responsibility. Perhaps that's because the Swedes are more responsible? A quick glance through this very thread will amply the illustrate the irresponsible nature of many of we Brits when it comes to even following advice and guidelines. In Sweden, folk who broke the advice and the regulations were publicly shamed by their peers. Here, I wouldn't go as far as to say that they were celebrated, but how often have we heard things like "They're just young, you can't stop them having fun".

Sweden trusted its citizens - we didn't. We.introduced illiberal laws house arresting people FFS. If you look at lots of analytical data from scientists on the web you will see that this virus is following the patterns of viral inections in Europe and other parts of the world - each has a very distinct curve. This stuff has been known for decades and ignored by simpletons like Sturgeon, who always has a political agenda, as shown by her determination to make every feckin thing about independence. Boris meantime has abondoned all his libertarian rhetoric in favour of following the bandwagon.

Edited by tcjambo

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Spot on.   A cultural difference of responsibility,  cooperation,  compliance and basic intelligence.   It can and probably has made a huge difference in outcomes.    This country is a basket case when it comes to these qualities.

There is insufficent attention to viral load.  Reducing viral loading may reduce the severity  of infection. Unfortunately, locking people in care homes with multiple contacts with infected carers has probably accelerated the deaths of many older people. Sweden alos failed to proect these people.

2 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Sweden trusted its citizens - we didn't. We.introduced illiberal laws house arresting people FFS. If you look at lots of analytical data from scientists on the web you will see that this virus is following the patterns of viral inections in Europe and other parts of the world - each has a very distinct curve. This stuff has been known for decades and inbored by simpletons like Sturgeon, who always has a political agenda, as shown by her determination to make every feckin thing about independence. Boris meantime has abondoned all his libertarian rhetoric in favour of following the bandwagon.

On the contrary, you're indicating a political agenda with this statement.

You haven't listened to Sturgeon's media conferences, have you? I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of politics displayed there and by her Covid-related comments overall.

As for Sweden trusting its citizens, I could point to hundreds of news stories on raves, gatherings, parties, folk breaking lockdown in the UK during this crisis, etc. I wouldn't trust many of our citizens either. Most are reasonable, sensible folk who care about others not being infected, but sadly there are far too many who aren't.

5 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

There is insufficent attention to viral load.  Reducing viral loading may reduce the severity  of infection. Unfortunately, locking people in care homes with multiple contacts with infected carers has probably accelerated the deaths of many older people. Sweden alos failed to proect these people.

Ah good, something we can agree on. The steps taken to protect those in care homes were utterly and woefully inadequate. I sincerely hope that a serious and far-reaching inquiry will work out what went wrong and how to avoid this ever happening again.

In essence, care homes should have been treated like closed systems, with live-in and frequently-tested carers, imo.

Just now, redjambo said:

You haven't listened to Sturgeon's media conferences, have you? I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of politics displayed there and by her Covid-related comments overall.

As for Sweden trusting its citizens, I could point to hundreds of news stories on raves, gatherings, parties, folk breaking lockdown in the UK during this crisis, etc. I wouldn't trust many of our citizens either. Most are reasonable, sensible folk who care about others not being infected, but sadly there are far too many who aren't.

I have listened to her and wonder why she is still broadcasting to the nation every day, long after everyone else has stopped.  She even managed to launch her pamphlet for independence during this serious crisis, so who exactly is politicising this situation?

News stories lol - you draw your conclusions from news stories?

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Time for Sturgeon and Johnson to go. Totally incompetent and perpetuating this bollocks. Follow the science!

:rofl:

Just now, tcjambo said:

I have listened to her and wonder why she is still broadcasting to the nation every day, long after everyone else has stopped.  She even managed to launch her pamphlet for independence during this serious crisis, so who exactly is politicising this situation?

News stories lol - you draw your conclusions from news stories?

I prefer drawing my conclusions from news stories than the posts of random bloggers on the internet.

So, did you really expect her to put absolutely everything else, independence-wise, on hold during the pandemic? Life goes on, you know. I think she could have politicised far more than she has done and, as I said, have been impressed by how little has been political.

If you don't like her, or her party, then fair enough. But please don't let your hatred blind you so much that you are unable to see reality any more.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Correct.   Without exception,  every complaint that Sturgeon is attempting to gain political capital via her briefings is motivated by political motives or agendas.    Rancid hypocrisy.    The briefings have been anything but political.    Any political capital gained has been a byproduct of sustained diligence and sense of duty of the very highest calibre.   Opponents don't like it,  can't stomach it and stoop to the lowest level to put a spanner in the works.    

Just now, redjambo said:

I prefer drawing my conclusions from news stories than the posts of random bloggers on the internet.

So, did you really expect her to put absolutely everything else, independence-wise, on hold during the pandemic? Life goes on, you know. I think she could have politicised far more than she has done and, as I said, have been impressed by how little has been political.

If you don't like her, or her party, then fair enough. But please don't let your hatred blind you so much that you are unable to see reality any more.

My posts are based on analysis from Oxford University - so wind your neck in unless you can come up with proper arguments

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic