Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Flawed reasoning.   It's premised on the notion that the SG is guilty of straying into political activities.    It's patently not true imo.    The BBC should not be arbitrarily deciding such a thing unless it was much more clearly the case.

Who should decide?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I did stop watching it. I was still interested in the daily figures so checked the SG website every lunchtime.

There was no need for her to be on TV every day, except for her own self gratification.

I'll admit that I'm chuffed that the BBC pulled the rug from under her

There's no logical necessity for it.    The majority of people against the briefing will not be watching.   If they are watching... why are they watching something they are against being shown?

The BBC simply want the air time back and have made up a bullshit way of doing it.

1 minute ago, Fun Boaby said:

Who should decide?

It should go through the machinery of parliament.   Some kind of referral to a standards committee to examine.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Like any program the viewers should decide, it would be interesting to see what the viewing figures were.

What level of  viewing figures would be acceptable  as a threshold? 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Possibly both but certainly Holyrood.

Do the SG have then powers to do that?

If it went to both  Westminster and holyrood and they reached different decisions, which one would be binding?

1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

The BBC are stopping broadcasts of the daily Nicola show

Ive no got much time for sturgeon but why  are people happy she’s stopping her daily announcements? 

I’ve never watched one yet as I’m normally at work when she’s on and even when I’m not I’ve got better things to do during the day than listen to her on tv 

If people aren’t happy with her chat then don’t watch and leave it to her supporters like most people do 

Do the SG have then powers to do that?

If it went to both  Westminster and holyrood and they reached different decisions, which one would be binding?

There must be some protocol for elected representatives to decide whether or not the sitting government is misusing the resource of air time under the guise of public information bulletins.   The BBC should not act as an arbiter.     

1 minute ago, theshed said:

Ive no got much time for sturgeon but why  are people happy she’s stopping her daily announcements? 

I’ve never watched one yet as I’m normally at work when she’s on and even when I’m not I’ve got better things to do during the day than listen to her on tv 

If people aren’t happy with her chat then don’t watch and leave it to her supporters like most people do 

it doesn't work like that though. The BBC needs to be fajr and impartial on politics and there is a school of thought that the daily briefings go  beyond that and give one party an unfair advantage.

2 minutes ago, theshed said:

She's not stopping doing them, the BBC are just not going to show them on BBC Scotland every day.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There must be some protocol for elected representatives to decide whether or not the sitting government is misusing the resource of air time under the guise of public information bulletins.   The BBC should not act as an arbiter.     

there is a code of conduct and a regulator as far as I know. I'm no expert though

The bbc still need to do what they think adheres to the code of conduct

Edited by Fun Boaby

Do we really want a national broadcaster with the supreme power to decide when and if people should be provided with government information via a source of the easiest and widest reach (tv)?

2 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

there is a code of conduct and a regulator as far as I know. I'm no expert though

The bbc still need to do what they think adheres to the code of conduct

I think they've abused the terms of their own code for their own purposes.    But it is what it is.    

Do we really want a national broadcaster with the supreme power to decide when and if people should be provided with government information via a source of the easiest and widest reach (tv)?

Isn't that what they do in normal times with the news?

1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

lunchtimes just won't be the same without her foosty scrunched up coupon on the TV

Girning or rolling her eyes at any reporter who doesn't stick to the party line. Great to get the Beechgrove Garden back on👍

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Isn't that what they do in normal times with the news?

Not necessarily.    In this case I believe it is motive driven.   They want the air time freed up.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They're not perfect, but try watching the likes of Fox news. I yearn for the BBC after 5 mins of such ridiculously biased nonsence

I think they've abused the terms of their own code for their own purposes.    But it is what it is.    

Complain to ofcom. You have every right to if you believe that.

Shanks said no

Sharing purely to generate debate, no doubt will be shot down by others.

Lisa Brosseau, ScD: "What we’re seeing is a lot of magical thinking. A lot of wishful thinking. Cloth masks are wishful thinking."

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/cloth-masks-are-useless-against-covid-19

Lisa Brosseau, ScD, is a nationally recognized expert on infectious diseases. Brousseau taught for many years at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She may be retired from the university, but she’s not retired from teaching. She recently co-wrote an opinion piece that drew a lot of notice: In it Brousseau argues that cloth masks offer no protection from COVID-19. 

Just now, Fun Boaby said:

They're not perfect, but try watching the likes of Fox news. I yearn for the BBC after 5 mins of such ridiculously biased nonsence

Complain to ofcom. You have every right to if you believe that.

I'm not bothered enough to complain but undoubtedly some will.    

For their next trick,   maybe the BBC will show some journalism solidarity with Channel 4 News in their current plight of being totally excluded from any co-operation with and from the Westminster government.    All journalists together under the banner of freedom for the press?

Maybe naw but.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It’s an absolute disgrace,  but not a surprise from the state broadcaster. 

4 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Can’t see it. It’s also 6 people over 12. They aren’t including under 12’s. 

As I understand it, while under 12s don't contribute to the number of people allowed, they're still included when it comes to number of households. 

Not looking forward to telling the bairn she can't have her birthday party now, especially as her sister had hers last week, and her pal is having one this Sunday. She's going to be gutted. She's getting really upset with it now, can't play with all her pals or her sister at playtime at school, split from her pal in after school club, can't go to any of her lessons. It's a wee shame. 

5 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

There is simply no need for a daily update unless you want to play Krankie bingo as to which words she will use to scare the peasants.

This, she is so monotonous the message is losing its effect and very few folk are actually listening- I am not slating what she is saying just how it is being delivered.

The decision would have some logic if the situation was stable,  changing little,  not much of any seriousness to report,  etc.    That's simply not the current state of play,  and likely to get a bit worse.    

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Testing seems to be in tatters then.    Requires a wholesale rethink.    Some kind of ability to weed out all the fuds without any symptoms clogging up the system.   Massive scale up on logistics and lab capacity.    

Care home staff tests going not collected and ending up beyond use is a shocking thing.    Inexcusable and disgusting,   whether it be the fault of whoever has the contract to courier them or the governments.

At least they are routinely being tested, NHS Borders staff are not being tested unless they display symptoms.

Goodness knows how many asymptomatic frontline NHS staff there is at the BGH, who potentially could pass covid on their patients.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Relevant sections can be reported on the daily news

The bits they choose, out of context. I’ve seen them do it constantly on different subjects. Sturgeon said today the R number was between 1-1.5, they didn't show that clip they just said it’s nearly 1.5. As long as the old yin’s can afford their licence fee they will be spoon fed the usual drivel from the BBC. Can’t have the public being properly informed now can we?

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

At least they are routinely being tested, NHS Borders staff are not being tested unless they display symptoms.

Goodness knows how many asymptomatic frontline NHS staff there is at the BGH, who potentially could pass covid on their patients.

This is the current probability.   Testing is failing really badly.    It needs to be re-booted in a target specific way while the capacity is increased maybe 20 fold.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The decision would have some logic if the situation was stable,  changing little,  not much of any seriousness to report,  etc.    That's simply not the current state of play,  and likely to get a bit worse.    

I kinda agree with you, she just needs to find another way to get it across- I wonder if she will carry on with them if not broadcast 🤔

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The bits they choose, out of context. I’ve seen them do it constantly on different subjects. Sturgeon said today the R number was between 1-1.5, they didn't show that clip they just said it’s nearly 1.5. As long as the old yin’s can afford their licence fee they will be spoon fed the usual drivel from the BBC. Can’t have the public being properly informed now can we?

That's a matter of opinion and you do have a route of complaint.

I've seen some folk moaning that the BBC is under reporting the Salmond scandal, the implication  being that they don't want to cross the SNP.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

It's the government's job to relay its message.

The BBC is more interested in promoting women's bloody football!

Both the SG and the BBC are desperate to be relevant.

It's rank duplicity.   Nationally the BBC accepts it's national broadcaster responsibilities.    It does not fulfill the same function on a regional basis and it classes Scotland as a region.    In the context of governments and governmental responsibilities,  Scotland is a separate case.    

3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I kinda agree with you, she just needs to find another way to get it across- I wonder if she will carry on with them if not broadcast 🤔

I'm sure they will consider asking STV to do it.    Not sure if it's a goer.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Well done BBC.

The viewing figures have probably plummeted because folk are sick of being spoken to like a child in her condescending tone

I’m in 2 minds about it not being shown . It may be the only information source for older adults who may not be online , but then again it probably scares the shit out of them which may not be helpful either . 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Fair play to Sturgeon, lives rent free in so many heads. Lads on here with sand in their vaginas about her. 

Its no rent free. I pay my TV licence😂

AlphonseCapone

Its no rent free. I pay my TV licence😂

More fool you!

P. S. I swear I pay my licence for any BBC snoopers lurking on here... 

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not sure is this has been brought up yet.....it may be mentioned further back I don’t know but needs attention:

Has ANYONE called the Chinese out for starting this shit show.........or are we (as a country) just bricking it from them, like everyone else.

Last I read it's no longer set in stone that it even originated from China.

away from political nonsense and health issues, there is big financial news coming next week for businesses, with the initial judgement being due in the court case brought by the FCA on insurance cover 

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Fair play to Sturgeon, lives rent free in so many heads. Lads on here with sand in their vaginas about her. 

Correct. 

If her raison d'être is to come across a right nippy ******* she's doing a fantastic job.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

That's a matter of opinion and you do have a route of complaint.

I've seen some folk moaning that the BBC is under reporting the Salmond scandal, the implication  being that they don't want to cross the SNP.

What else is there to report, he got off. Kirsty Wark and her husband were paid handsomely to do a hatchet job on him and actually aired it, which might be illegal and possibly why they’re not talking about the old creep. 
As for the briefings there’s nothing else on the BBC channel anyway, at a time when cases are rising again. No coincidence that Labour and Tories have complained about Sturgeons surging popularity due to these briefings, as opposed to the toff tossers continually flip flopping,  led by the most incompetent person to be Prime Minister. 

4 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

away from political nonsense and health issues, there is big financial news coming next week for businesses, with the initial judgement being due in the court case brought by the FCA on insurance cover 

Insurance cover for what?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic