Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

So the experts are saying Johnson's mass population testing aim 'operation moonshot' is utter bullshit.    

Operation moonbeams is bullshit?

I'm shocked. 

The technology doesn't currently exist 🤔 perhaps the same people that are designing the Norn Iron seamless border customs technology are all over it. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t see us playing football this season. No convinced championship will go ahead if they can’t have fans.

It’s a scary possibility but as one poster has said boo fecking hoo to any businesses that fold. Suppose Hearts come into that...
This is an extinction event imo. For thousands of businesses. They need to change the narrative from all the doom. 
A lot of heads are wrecked. 
Years and years to roll it back. 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s a scary possibility but as one poster has said boo fecking hoo to any businesses that fold. Suppose Hearts come into that...
This is an extinction event imo. For thousands of businesses. They need to change the narrative from all the doom. 

That sounds awfully like doom you are spreading yourself. 

40 minutes ago, Jambo no 1 said:

Regarding the “Dentist” 

Leitch attended Airdrie Academy from 1980 to 1986 and became school Dux.[2] He played the part of Ralph Rackstraw in the school production of HMS Pinafore.[citation needed]

Leitch graduated in dentistry from the University of Glasgow in 1991. He became a Fellow of the Faculty of Dental Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons(England) in 1996.

He has a doctorate from the University of Glasgow (2004), a Masters in Public Health from Harvard University (2006) and is a fellow of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow(2004) and the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (2004). He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2004).

He was a 2005-06 Quality Improvement Fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), in Boston, sponsored by the Health Foundation, he is now a Senior Fellow at the IHI.

There is more of his qualifications and achievements here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Leitch

What a fellow he is ! In my experience at time the more qualifications people have the more common sense they lack 

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Various businesses hopes shredding today , well for the next 3 weeks if they survive until then . On the good news no deaths 

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

And yet the Government is increasingly intent on a no deal Brexit which they know will harm the economy further.

I mean when does it go from ideology to intentionally trashing the economy?

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

What a fellow he is ! In my experience at time the more qualifications people have the more common sense they lack 

That is sometimes the case. However having listened to him over a good few months especially on Off the Ball he comes across as a very grounded and educated guy. Also hails from a working class background so his head is not up up his jacksy or aloof like the previous stuck up woman whom he replaced. 

1 minute ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Richard Leonard is a complete waste of a voice in Holyrood.

Completely inept.

He's always got paperwork to hold up though! 

53 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

There's 0 chance @AlimOzturk is signing up to this i reckon.

See above Graygo.

Dunno I will have a proper look into and might do. Said I would never give my details in pubs but have done and it hasn’t been as bad as I thought. 

Beginning to give less of a **** about the whole privacy thing. That ship sailed a long time ago. 

They said they won’t take personal details and track people. I don’t believe that for second however. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Sounds like realism to me. How do you expect clubs to survive? 

2 minutes ago, Gone said:

Wonder how many 'jokers' will tell the app they have the virus just to terrify everyone they pass.

Cue 100 Facebook and tik tok videos

You have to put a code in 

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, Gone said:

Wonder how many 'jokers' will tell the app they have the virus just to terrify everyone they pass.

Cue 100 Facebook and tik tok videos

You need a code to put in that you'll only get if test positive I think. 

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Sounds like realism to me. How do you expect clubs to survive? 

Let's see if I've got this right...

Doom and gloom about what might happen if we head back into lockdown = realism

Doom and gloom about what might happen if we just let everyone roam free and catch the virus = not realism?

jack D and coke
32 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Suppose so aye. Do you disagree though? Lockdowns for the next few years? Opening and shutting whilst blaming some group or some businesses the way forward? What if there’s a COVID 20 and then 21? Dr Fauci reckons were in a pandemic era where there’s likely to be new ones every year now....What then? 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Suppose so aye. Do you disagree though? Lockdowns for the next few years? Opening and shutting whilst blaming some group or some businesses the way forward? What if there’s a COVID 20 and then 21? Dr Fauci reckons were in a pandemic era where there’s likely to be new ones every year now....What then? 

Being quite pedantic here but the number after covid is the year that it's discovered.

Just now, jack D and coke said:

There's no easy answer. I'm willing to trust that the experts know what they are doing more than all us plebs on forums though.

4 minutes ago, Gone said:

Being quite pedantic here but the number after covid is the year that it's discovered.

How does that stop there being a Covid 20 or 21?

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It doesn't but looking at the post I can only assume the op thought they were in a numerical order based on new strains. Like I said it was pedantic

Edited by Gone

AlphonseCapone
14 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I have to say I am surprised that the SG have made the 6 person two houses rule without giving their local lockdowns more of a chance to kick in.

The App has just launched and the people most a rick are not catching it yet, so this does seem like it is overly cautious and might not let us see the results of the App and local lockdowns.

I'll admit I didn't watch NS live so she did maybe explain all that...... 

Same. Feel we were a week or two from needing to make this decision. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Interesting that Face masks are to be worn when moving around pubs etc and only removed when eating/drinking, they seem very confident that use of face coverings is helping to reduce transmission, I suppose they do have more data than us but I'm not convinced.

Its not that long ago they were saying that putting them on and off again  was risky

AlphonseCapone
Just now, Fun Boaby said:

See this app, how long do you need to to be near someone for and at what distance for it to work?

Over 15 minutes and within 2m.

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Gone said:

You’re saying there not enough tine for COVID 20 to emerge? 😐

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There's no easy answer. I'm willing to trust that the experts know what they are doing more than all us plebs on forums though.

Governments and experts get it spectacularly wrong. All the time. 

30 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Dunno I will have a proper look into and might do. Said I would never give my details in pubs but have done and it hasn’t been as bad as I thought. 

Beginning to give less of a **** about the whole privacy thing. That ship sailed a long time ago. 

They said they won’t take personal details and track people. I don’t believe that for second however. 

I'll trust the Dail, Stormont and Holyrood governments that the Google App won't store details and any they do, get wiped after 14 days long before what Cummings signs off on behalf of his pals - WM.

Edit - I'm not up to date on what England is proposing to do since they abandoned Cummings pals failed multi million pound app scoping procurement.

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

We cannae cope wi 19, Cmon Maw nature geeza a heist up here FFS...:biggrin2:

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Governments and experts get it spectacularly wrong. All the time. 

That's the crux of a novel virus, Governments/experts globally are clutching at straws unfortunately.

53 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Completely inept.

Can bob his head up and down quite a bit but.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/brain-fog-heart-damage-covid-19-s-lingering-problems-alarm-scientists#:~:text=The list of lingering maladies,lungs%2C kidneys%2C and brain.

The likelihood of a patient developing persistent symptoms is hard to pin down because different studies track different outcomes and follow survivors for different lengths of time. One group in Italy found that 87% of a patient cohort hospitalized for acute COVID-19 was still struggling 2 months later. Data from the COVID Symptom Study, which uses an app into which millions of people in the United States, United Kingdom, and Sweden have tapped their symptoms, suggest 10% to 15% of people—including some “mild” cases—don’t quickly recover. But with the crisis just months old, no one knows how far into the future symptoms will endure, and whether COVID-19 will prompt the onset of chronic diseases.

Inconclusive then, best case scenario is as low as 10% of symptomatic cases. 

2 hours ago, Costanza said:

Agree on Sweden and Brazil but my point is that I don't think we can easily compare countries and just simply copy that approach without analysing a whole host of other factors.

New Zealand locked down and have far better figures than both Sweden and the UK but that doesn't mean we necessarily require the exact same approach everywhere else.

Hindsight is a great thing and in time I suspect we will realise that by not closing the borders (and testing on arrival), locking down early enough, not setting up mass testing sooner, not providing enough PPE in care homes and hospitals and releasing folk into care homes when we shouldn't; we have increased the number of preventable deaths and extended the length of lockdown required.

In short. I think a lockdown was necessary in the UK but we've done it too late and too poorly.

Totally agree and I'm pretty sure that's what the eventually enquiry will say as well. It doesn't really address where we are now though.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

There's 0 chance @AlimOzturk is signing up to this i reckon.

See above Graygo.

So the "threat to 1%" comes from Back to 2005? I was hoping for a better source to be honest.

Is the threat death, symptomatic or asymptomatic?

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Completely inept.

Agent Leonard is doing a great job...of convincing the last remaining labour folk that the games up the pole. 

Differing viewpoints apart anyone else feel like they are struggling with the never ending bad news? I know we are meant to be accepting this as a "new normal " but there is nothing normal about this.

Despite what some of you might think I'm normally an easy going happy type of person with lots of good things in my life. So if you normally suffer from depression I'm not sure how you cope?

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Does it matter?

Indeed, Governor. It shouldn't. Anyone who chooses to come and live here is Scottish in my eyes.

Just seen the latest figures. If they don't get better very quickly, there's a distinct possibility that North and South Lanarkshire will be added to the list of Glasgow-area councils who are having to undergo local restrictions.

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

Surely the Scotland wide restrictions of 6 people from 2 houses means that we have kind of abandoned the localised restrictions for now?

The local restrictions are stricter.

Folk living in the affected areas should not (except if there is an "extended household"):

• host people from any other households in their home socially.
  • make a social visit to people they do not live with in their home.

Care home and hospital visits are also restricted further under the local lockdowns.

More details here: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-local-measures/pages/glasgow/

54 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Differing viewpoints apart anyone else feel like they are struggling with the never ending bad news? I know we are meant to be accepting this as a "new normal " but there is nothing normal about this.

Despite what some of you might think I'm normally an easy going happy type of person with lots of good things in my life. So if you normally suffer from depression I'm not sure how you cope?

Some really valid points but I prefer realism and try to manage than some bull crapper (see over the pond) making promises that can never be fulfilled.

43 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think there are those that suffer from conditions like bipolar where the depression can hit at anytime, good or bad. There will be loads of folk who are struggling to cope with the change and mental stress of the situation, some will be loving it and plenty will be just as normal.

Personally my families routine is pretty much set, but I really miss Hearts, even behind closed doors would be a start.......

I miss the routine of the Hearts game. Something me and my son can spend some quality time together doing.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic