Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Freedoms being removed bit by bit in the name of a virus that is of no threat to 99% of us. Waken up folks. 

You need to stop with this 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

They have not introduced that measure yet and all the measures they are introducing are in order to return our freedoms, you need to stop believing all the theories you read on the internet.

I'm capable of making my own mind up based on what I see happening. It's out of all proportion. 

Dennis Reynolds
50 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not having a go at you just using your post as an example . 

Scottish govt -independence ,
NI govt- religious division ,

Uk govt -brexit , 

3 examples only 

there in lies the problem ,the people in charge ,  just put your own individual party agendas to one side and get together to sort out what is not only a health issue but a ****ing serious economic disaster looming . 
It’s not a recession we’ll be worrying about shortly but a ****ing depression . 

Every leader of every party (and their MP’s and MSP’ s ) should be hanging their heads in shame at the management and control of this situation. Stop point scoring and deal with it . 

If the Scottish and Northern Irish governments had got together with the UK Government we wouldn't currently have an app. It's not point scoring, it's not following an obviously flawed plan of action. The UK Government wanted to build there own app and it bombed. 

18 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

And people used to know they'd been in a car accident when they went through the windscreen, but we still have road safety laws and campaigns, as well as introducing compulsory seat belt wearing.

This is a new situation and we need to adapt our behaviour for a short amount of time to get through it.

It's not a new situation. Coronavirus has been around for a long time. 

AlphonseCapone
24 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Freedoms being removed bit by bit in the name of a virus that is of no threat to 99% of us. Waken up folks. 

There it is. The war cry of a nutcase. 

10 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

There it is. The war cry of a nutcase. 

I can assure you my marbles are all in tact!  Let me guess another member of the SNP cult?  How dare I question the motives of nicola...

21 minutes ago, LMc said:

If the Scottish and Northern Irish governments had got together with the UK Government we wouldn't currently have an app. It's not point scoring, it's not following an obviously flawed plan of action. The UK Government wanted to build there own app and it bombed. 

Which is exactly my point , it isn’t individual practice that is required it’s a together policy we needed  , this current situation requires a maturity that no one at present has , in my opinion anyway, shown . 
They should be ashamed of the situation we find ourselves in . 
Indeed world wide there are very very few politicians and leaders of nations that can hold their heads up . 

25 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

And people used to know they'd been in a car accident when they went through the windscreen, but we still have road safety laws and campaigns, as well as introducing compulsory seat belt wearing.

This is a new situation and we need to adapt our behaviour for a short amount of time to get through it.

This is not a new situation at all. There have been warnings about something like this happening for years and yet we still got caught with our pants down. There have been epidemics and scares in recent history such as SARS, swine flu, Ebola etc..

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, stu said:

Ok Dr H, I will bite....

Please provide the scientific evidence that masks work.

You'll get the meme he likes regarding the water sports he's into. 

10 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

But this one causes massive amounts of death in people that we spend a fortune on through the NHS to try and keep alive. It is true that it is very unlikely for people under 65 with no pre-existing health conditions (you should look up what some of those are though) are unlikely to have a bad outcome, unless of course they are a nurse or other a few other care occupations where going to work is very dangerous when the numbers go up.

So what do you suggest we do, let it run its course and kill another 300,000 (25,000 in Scotland) of the UK's elderly and sick?

Download the App and do your bit to help so we can get on with our lives sooner

I suggest you read the excellent article put up by steauneedarest last night. Or look at the article on Sweden before you throw about figures with no substance. 

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

We cant rewind and do it differently and I have no problem with erring on the side of caution over this but they went over the top and are still threatening to impose more over the top rules. 
It’s time to follow the Swedish model, open it up and let people get on with their lives. 
If you don’t feel safe and want to remain in your home most of the time then absolutely do that too👍🏼

The argument to just allow people to assess and take their own risk is deeply flawed.    Making it an individual choice can never limit the risk to individuals because unlimted spread will always have consequences for everyone else.    Everyone in the country depends on everyone else.

Edited by Victorian

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Thanks ausseh, nae wonder you gave it the heave, it's a right pain.

Scratch coat went on a treat a few days ago. Finish coat is a mix of Levenseat, building sand, and snowcrete. I had to put it on thick as it's getting rubbed down to finish with a scarifying trowel today. It's a finish I saw a lot when I worked in Spain many years ago but not something you see much in the UK. Anyway, prob not enough plasticiser and too much water in the mix with fine sand. Had a fair bit of slumping but got there in the end. 

Furlough has been great for learning new skills. We should probably have had a dedicated lockdown DIY thread. I bet plenty of us have taken the opportunity to learn/build some new and interestig stuff.

Good man. Mind sign your work or bed a coin in the mortar. 👍

AlphonseCapone
22 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I can assure you my marbles are all in tact!  Let me guess another member of the SNP cult?  How dare I question the motives of nicola...

Like everything you've posted on this thread, completely and utterly wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I suggest you read the excellent article put up by steauneedarest last night. Or look at the article on Sweden before you throw about figures with no substance. 

The article by the conspiracy doctor that sits on the board of the "Natural Healing Institute" that thinks there are natural cures for cancer. Do you believe that too? Are you an anti-vaxxer? 

Just admit it, you never actually read anything for yourself, you believe and have reposted memes that are verifiably wrong. You jump on anything you think supports your view without looking at it. We all make mistakes or misinterpret things we read but you don't even try.

People that want others to "wake up", are gullible unthinking drones that think they've tuned out from mass media driven society and can see things others can't. They haven't, they 've just tuned into a new breed of media, one for folk incapable or unwilling to think. Folk like that are dangerous, to themselves and others. 

21 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We cant rewind and do it differently and I have no problem with erring on the side of caution over this but they went over the top and are still threatening to impose more over the top rules. 
It’s time to follow the Swedish model, open it up and let people get on with their lives. 
If you don’t feel safe and want to remain in your home most of the time then absolutely do that too👍🏼

👍👍

Just now, graygo said:

A slightly less up to date source.

Sweden are fecked. Their herd immunity didn't work and compared to Norway they're really fecked. Plenty of new jobs to fill anaw, with all the deid folk. 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I know what number you need to start with to get 65k as 1%, I'm asking where the number of 1% came from.

65m

Just now, ri Alban said:

Sweden are fecked. Their herd immunity didn't work and compared to Norway they're really fecked. Plenty of new jobs to fill anaw, with all the deid folk. 

Maybe they are fecked, this has been done to death on here. They are in a better place than the UK and their economy isn't fecked up as much.

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

We are opening up and letting people get on with their lives

Plenty threats of further lockdowns be it local or national. I hope the lockdown thing is done tbh. 

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Good man. Mind sign your work or bed a coin in the mortar. 👍

Rubbing it up just now and a couple of patches are boss. 😠😠🤗

It's a fairly wee patch thats fucled so I'll scutch it out and re do it today and see how it goes. I'll rub it down again tomorrow and tosh it in with a right watery mix to blend it in. 

It's a learning curve but I'll get there. 👍

11 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Unemployment is much higher in Sweden just now, probably as there was no job retention schemes as there was no lockdown but the economy still suffered from people not going out

I know their economy has suffered but nowhere near as much as ours.

Just on the Sweden thing and this is back of the fag packet thinking:

Do the comparison of figures take into account:

Population Density,

Heath and wellbeing of the population, 

Demographics on Age,

Social distancing compliance in the population,

Amount of incoming people into the country i.e. tourists, business etc. 

How cases and deaths are recorded.

Just comparing one country to another without analysing that seems pretty reductive.

Also, did Sweden do better or worse than it's neighbours?

And also, why don't the herd immunity advocates cite Brazil?

13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Plenty threats of further lockdowns be it local or national. I hope the lockdown thing is done tbh. 

Exactly the daily briefings always have the Undercurrent and possibility of the govt  pulling the rug from under any businesses operating . Just glad I’m not in the pub or hospitality trade . Must be nerve wracking 

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

Nonsense. Even people who don't get hospitalised can have a horrific time with it and be left with lasting health damage months later.

2 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Just on the Sweden thing and this is back of the fag packet thinking:

Do the comparison of figures take into account:

Population Density,

Heath and wellbeing of the population, 

Demographics on Age,

Social distancing compliance in the population,

Amount of incoming people into the country i.e. tourists, business etc. 

How cases and deaths are recorded.

Just comparing one country to another without analysing that seems pretty reductive.

Also, did Sweden do better or worse than it's neighbours?

And also, why don't the herd immunity advocates cite Brazil?

In a word - no.

The difference between Sweden and Brazil is that Sweden have taken some precautions without lockdown and shutting the economy down whereas Brazil have basically denied it's existence.

33 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Like everything you've posted on this thread, completely and utterly wrong. 

The article by the conspiracy doctor that sits on the board of the "Natural Healing Institute" that thinks there are natural cures for cancer. Do you believe that too? Are you an anti-vaxxer? 

Just admit it, you never actually read anything for yourself, you believe and have reposted memes that are verifiably wrong. You jump on anything you think supports your view without looking at it. We all make mistakes or misinterpret things we read but you don't even try.

People that want others to "wake up", are gullible unthinking drones that think they've tuned out from mass media driven society and can see things others can't. They haven't, they 've just tuned into a new breed of media, one for folk incapable or unwilling to think. Folk like that are dangerous, to themselves and others. 

What is a conspiracy doctor? A doctor that has a different opinion to yours? We are all quite happy to have a dentist telling us what to do....

What is dangerous is just accepting whatever we are told. 

I'm not saying I'm right with everything. I really hope I'm wrong with some of it. 

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

What is a conspiracy doctor? A doctor that has a different opinion to yours? We are all quite happy to have a dentist telling us what to do....

I'm not saying I'm right with everything. I really hope I'm wrong with some of it. 

The dentist is taking advice from experts, he's not making it up off the top of his own head. :rofl: 

https://www.gov.scot/groups/scottish-government-covid-19-advisory-group/

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Nonsense. Even people who don't get hospitalised can have a horrific time with it and be left with lasting health damage months later.

What percentage of symptomatic cases are we talking about?

Edit: I'm heading out for lunch with the Mrs so won't be able to respond to your reply very quickly but we know roughly the percentage of symptomatic cases so we will be able to put a number on these ones who are going to have a "horrific time"

Presumably asymptomatic carriers won't have lasting damage.

Edited by graygo

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Exactly the daily briefings always have the Undercurrent and possibility of the govt  pulling the rug from under any businesses operating . Just glad I’m not in the pub or hospitality trade . Must be nerve wracking 

It must be a nightmare that being your livelihood atm. It’s why I don’t wear this people aren’t doing what they’re told bolloks. People are doing exactly as they’re supposed to be as far as I’ve seen yet this threat looms constantly. 
There will always be someone or some group or business to blame. How we get out of this mess is anyone’s guess. 

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

What percentage of symptomatic cases are we talking about?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/brain-fog-heart-damage-covid-19-s-lingering-problems-alarm-scientists#:~:text=The list of lingering maladies,lungs%2C kidneys%2C and brain.

The likelihood of a patient developing persistent symptoms is hard to pin down because different studies track different outcomes and follow survivors for different lengths of time. One group in Italy found that 87% of a patient cohort hospitalized for acute COVID-19 was still struggling 2 months later. Data from the COVID Symptom Study, which uses an app into which millions of people in the United States, United Kingdom, and Sweden have tapped their symptoms, suggest 10% to 15% of people—including some “mild” cases—don’t quickly recover. But with the crisis just months old, no one knows how far into the future symptoms will endure, and whether COVID-19 will prompt the onset of chronic diseases.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

In a word - no.

The difference between Sweden and Brazil is that Sweden have taken some precautions without lockdown and shutting the economy down whereas Brazil have basically denied it's existence.

Agree on Sweden and Brazil but my point is that I don't think we can easily compare countries and just simply copy that approach without analysing a whole host of other factors.

New Zealand locked down and have far better figures than both Sweden and the UK but that doesn't mean we necessarily require the exact same approach everywhere else.

Hindsight is a great thing and in time I suspect we will realise that by not closing the borders (and testing on arrival), locking down early enough, not setting up mass testing sooner, not providing enough PPE in care homes and hospitals and releasing folk into care homes when we shouldn't; we have increased the number of preventable deaths and extended the length of lockdown required.

In short. I think a lockdown was necessary in the UK but we've done it too late and too poorly.

11 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Regarding the “Dentist” 

Leitch attended Airdrie Academy from 1980 to 1986 and became school Dux.[2] He played the part of Ralph Rackstraw in the school production of HMS Pinafore.[citation needed]

Leitch graduated in dentistry from the University of Glasgow in 1991. He became a Fellow of the Faculty of Dental Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons(England) in 1996.

He has a doctorate from the University of Glasgow (2004), a Masters in Public Health from Harvard University (2006) and is a fellow of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow(2004) and the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (2004). He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2004).

He was a 2005-06 Quality Improvement Fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), in Boston, sponsored by the Health Foundation, he is now a Senior Fellow at the IHI.

There is more of his qualifications and achievements here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Leitch

2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Watch this

There's 0 chance @AlimOzturk is signing up to this i reckon.

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

1 hour ago, OBE said:

But a potential threat to 650,000, 1%.

53 minutes ago, graygo said:

Where are you getting 1% from?

See above Graygo.

AlphonseCapone
17 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

A doctor who argues against scientific evidence and views are shaped by the idea Government's and big Pharmaceutical companies are lying about everything. 

Genuinely, read this and tell me you don't have concerns about some of his views;

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Malcolm_Kendrick

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t see us playing football this season. No convinced championship will go ahead if they can’t have fans.

Might just have to but teams will be in admin by Christmas

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic