• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

As in what are you on about - what he posted was fake 

I very much appreciate your swift reply.  👍

Thank you so much for clearing that up before beddie byes.

In future, you are my ‘ask guy’ for any problematic posts that I may encounter.

Dennis Reynolds
2 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

I'm sure they just made it up. I'm no doctor but a quick Google search suggests you are wrong.

What part?

Captain Canada
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

So basically he is making decisions to peoples lives based on an unreliable test. What is this blokes qualifications to make these decisions? 

I don't see any epidemiological experience on the CVs of these people below.

In the interests of being open and honest, there may well be others advising the SG that I'm not aware of. I think the CMO is a former GP. 

https://www.gov.scot/about/how-government-is-run/directorates/healthcare-quality-and-improvement/jason-leitch/

https://www.gov.scot/about/who-runs-government/cabinet-and-ministers/cabinet-secretary-health-and-sport/

https://www.ed.ac.uk/profile/devi-sridhar

Edited by Captain Canada

19 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Very interesting. Which again begs the question...what the hell are the politicians up to??

Great article 

42 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Maybe read this alongside your link for a different take on it, particularly the last part.

https://medium.com/@shinjieyong/clarifying-the-true-fatality-rate-of-covid-19-same-as-the-flu-8148e38b9ab5

Short Abstract

Covid-19 and the flu have similar case fatality rates (CFRs) of around 3%, which means they both kill three people for every 100 cases. And a case is defined by clinical symptoms, so asymptomatic (i.e., symptomless) infections are not counted as a case. Based on CFRs only, it can be said that Covid-19 is not any deadlier than the flu. But it’s easy to get confused between CFR and infection fatality rate (IFR), as Dr. Fauci and others did.

While the CFR divides deaths by symptomatic cases, the IFR divides deaths by infections. And infections can be undiagnosed, asymptomatic, or symptomatic. Covid-19 has an IFR of 0.65%; the flu has an IFR 0.1%. Thus, for every 1000 infections, SARS-CoV-2 kills six and the influenza virus kills one person. This shows that people are more likely to develop symptoms with Covid-19 than with flu. Even if SARS-CoV-2 and influenza have about the same IFRs, SARS-CoV-2 is still many times more transmissible, resulting in more infections and then more cases and, ultimately, deaths.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

2 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Very interesting. Which again begs the question...what the hell are the politicians up to??

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Great article 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

You really shouldn’t be posting stuff this positive. 
Thanks though👍🏼

It was an interesting read but I'd also read through this about that particular blogger;

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Malcolm_Kendrick

Captain Sausage
7 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Thinking facemasks don’t work is 

Of course they don’t silly. They’re inanimate objects. 

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

I very much appreciate your swift reply.  👍

Thank you so much for clearing that up before beddie byes.

In future, you are my ‘ask guy’ for any problematic posts that I may encounter.

What do you mean?

:)

joondalupjambo
10 hours ago, Morgan said:

:humbug:

Tend to agree though!

I hope that Boris has told Home Bargains in Leven that Christmas is off the agenda this year because they have had all their Christmas stuff on the shelves for sale since the last week in August.  I kid yee not.

Mind you maybe HB's are smarter than we all think and had an advance copy of yesterday's briefing so got their stock out early to enable them to catch out all the dafties, sorry sensible forward thinking people who like to plan ahead with early purchases.

The Real Maroonblood
22 hours ago, Jambo no 1 said:

Most people would only have to wear a mask for a short period of time. Half an hour on a bus or in a shop. It’s no big deal and it’s helping in some small way to beat this virus. 
i often wonder if those protesting about wearing a mask also don’t bother washing their hands regularly especially after being to the loo or picking their nose. 

:laugh:

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Why is this not all over the news??

Thought the same.
However it doesn’t seem available on iOS but available on Android to download at the moment.

Maybe that’s the reason it’s not been on the news.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Brian Dundas said:

I have it on my iPhone, Nicola Sturgeon has now tweeted about it as well, just surprised it's not on News channels and the like

I couldn’t get it on my iPad but okay on my Samsung phone.

Governor Tarkin
18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Don't do cement work anymore, unless it's for £100 a square metre. Make sure you put plastersiser/waterproofer in it and dampen the wall a touch. (Make it nice and soft, not watery) 

Don't wet the sponge, tho. It bleaches the mortar. 

Thanks ausseh, nae wonder you gave it the heave, it's a right pain.

Scratch coat went on a treat a few days ago. Finish coat is a mix of Levenseat, building sand, and snowcrete. I had to put it on thick as it's getting rubbed down to finish with a scarifying trowel today. It's a finish I saw a lot when I worked in Spain many years ago but not something you see much in the UK. Anyway, prob not enough plasticiser and too much water in the mix with fine sand. Had a fair bit of slumping but got there in the end. 

Furlough has been great for learning new skills. We should probably have had a dedicated lockdown DIY thread. I bet plenty of us have taken the opportunity to learn/build some new and interestig stuff.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Thanks ausseh, nae wonder you gave it the heave, it's a right pain.

Scratch coat went on a treat a few days ago. Finish coat is a mix of Levenseat, building sand, and snowcrete. I had to put it on thick as it's getting rubbed down to finish with a scarifying trowel today. It's a finish I saw a lot when I worked in Spain many years ago but not something you see much in the UK. Anyway, prob not enough plasticiser and too much water in the mix with fine sand. Had a fair bit of slumping but got there in the end. 

Furlough has been great for learning new skills. We should probably have had a dedicated lockdown DIY thread. I bet plenty of us have taken the opportunity to learn/build some new and interestig stuff.

It seems to an art doing that.

Really impressed.

58 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Why is this not all over the news??

It is, well the Scottish news, seen it reported several times now on BBC Scotland news this morning.

And it's on the BBC Scottish news website as well.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54098960

The rest of the nationwide media won't be interested as it's only for Scotland.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

14 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It still wasn’t on when I got up this morning, I accept it went up while I was posting. 

Whats the point of this app? So people with no symptoms who happen to have walked past someone else will get an alert saying get a test? So we get more positive cases and the whole charade carries on. 

Oh and they can track you wherever you go....

It appears that the Commander-in-Chief conspiracy theorist Donald Trump has known all along that Covid-19 was way more deadly than the flu, but he says he downplayed it all so as to not cause panic.

10 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Thinking facemasks don’t work is 

Ok Dr H, I will bite....

Please provide the scientific evidence that masks work.

Governor Tarkin
37 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

No news on when you can go back? 

Is it due to social distancing or no demand for what you do?

Congrats on growing family, you might find your very keen to get back to work when second arrives 😱

Cheers 👍

November when furlough ends at the earliest.

There's very little demand atm due to low oil prices and the general logistical pain in the arse of moving multi-national crews around the world.

The wee man still isn't a fan of sleeping so I can count on one hand how many full nights sleep I've had since I arrived back from Guyana in March. On the plus side the Mrs has been really tired (and a bit stressed with all this shite) throughout her pregnancy so it's been great being able to do all the night time stuff with the boy and take the heat off of her. She's ****ing milking it though! :D

I've had a couple of reasonably reassuring conversations with work but there will definitely be casualties come the end of october. The nature of the industry means it'll go down to the wire so we'll just have to wait it out. How about you? 

I assume by the general lightening of the mood that most folk on here are back working again already. :D

Fingers crossed we all get through it. 

Dennis Reynolds
35 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Lets hope Sturgeons rush to get one over the rest of UK works 

She's not exactly had to rush. The Scotland one is also based off one that has been in use in NI for weeks. The UK government attempt was thrown out and they had to start from scratch after completely dismissing using one based on Google/apple infrastructure.

SNP bad though 

2 minutes ago, LMc said:

She's not exactly had to rush. The Scotland one is also based off one that has been in use in NI for weeks. The UK government attempt was thrown out and they had to start from scratch after completely dismissing using one based on Google/apple infrastructure.

SNP bad though 

Not having a go at you just using your post as an example . 

Scottish govt -independence ,
NI govt- religious division ,

Uk govt -brexit , 

3 examples only 

there in lies the problem ,the people in charge ,  just put your own individual party agendas to one side and get together to sort out what is not only a health issue but a ****ing serious economic disaster looming . 
It’s not a recession we’ll be worrying about shortly but a ****ing depression . 

Every leader of every party (and their MP’s and MSP’ s ) should be hanging their heads in shame at the management and control of this situation. Stop point scoring and deal with it . 

21 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Don't see that having much impact. Do they think majority of transmissions are going to take place between 10pm-1am? 

9 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Ridiculous and impossible to police 

Not really. All pubs etc would need to close, which they would. Quite simple. Anyone in the street caught is an easy fine. You won't catch everyone but it would deter. 

47 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Whats the point of this app? So people with no symptoms who happen to have walked past someone else will get an alert saying get a test? So we get more positive cases and the whole charade carries on. 

Oh and they can track you wherever you go....

🤣

4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Don't see that having much impact. Do they think majority of transmissions are going to take place between 10pm-1am? 

Not really. All pubs etc would need to close, which they would. Quite simple. Anyone in the street caught is an easy fine. You won't catch everyone but it would deter. 

Aye but they say the problem is in households so would they not then pile into households ?

As I said though I don't know what to think anymore.

Edited by vegas-voss

17 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Watch this

Thanks for posting that. As a result I’ve just downloaded the app onto my iPhone. 

Edited by Jambo no 1

2 minutes ago, Jambo no 1 said:

Thanks for posting that. As a result I’ve just downloaded the app onto my iPhone. 

Should be given max exposure, hope they have enough servers, they will, wont they eh?

4 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

People used to know they were ill when they didnt feel well.

Asymptomatic carriers/spreaders of Covid feel fine, there lies one of the problems.

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

Freedoms being removed bit by bit in the name of a virus that is of no threat to 99% of us. Waken up folks. 

But a potential threat to 650,000, 1%.

8 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

People used to know they were ill when they didnt feel well.

What if you are asymptotic and spreading it to others?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic