Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Auto correct but you knew what I meant young fella. 

:D I was being serious, believe it or not. Googled it and this came up - https://www.trustinns.co.uk/jargon/wet-lead/ -  so I assumed it was kosher (but did wonder if it was present tense or misspelled past tense). After your post, I now see it is "wet led". Anyway, thanks for the education. I look forward to helping my local pub's wet gain further advantage over its dry soon.

Edited by redjambo

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Correct. We think the next step might well be closing individual pubs if they aren't complying. 

That's in England btw. 

The machinery to do so is already there.   Every venue is individually licenced through the local authority.    Interesting possibility.

It's much more to do with individual people.   It's literally impossible to get even open minded individuals to act in concert towards a a co-dependant purpose like social distancing within a leisure setting.   While people tend to be naturally self interested and have perhaps a passing interest in the welfare of others and society as a whole,   they are also very social,  perhaps for underlying,  selfish motives.    The pub is for relaxing and being social.    It doesn't live well with being on the ball about behaviours and responsibilities.    

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

:D I was being serious, believe it or not. Googled it and this came up - https://www.trustinns.co.uk/jargon/wet-lead/ -  so I assumed it was kosher (but did wonder if it was present tense or misspelled past tense). After your post, I now see it is "wet led". Anyway, thanks for the education. I look forward to helping my local pub's wet gain further advantage over its dry soon.

Basically a pub that sells more alcohol than food or no food at all. The Diggers being a fine example. 

It will take longer for this type of pub to bounce back. 

7 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

I find it amazing that you can't put up with it for a few minutes at a time to go shopping. I have COPD and find it nothing more than annoying and a bit hot.

Same here I have mild asthma and combined with wearing specs I find it uncomfortable after a while. 

I try to restrict the time I'm in the shops or on a bus. 

I have no great knowledge on the pandemic so I prefer to just follow the guidelines. 

I wouldn't challenge anyone about not wearing a mask for one thing they may well have medical reasons for not wearing a mask and for another thing going by experience on here non wearers are likely to be belligerent know alls who would either hit me or bore me to death with their 'opinion' 😁 

Just now, Notts1874 said:

Basically a pub that sells more alcohol than food or no food at all. The Diggers being a fine example. 

I know the answer is probably pretty obvious, but why's that? Is it because of the number of people you can't cram in (eaters have to sit at tables whereas drinkers can be standing around - pre-Covid anyway), or because of the margins involved?

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The machinery to do so is already there.   Every venue is individually licenced through the local authority.    Interesting possibility.

It's much more to do with individual people.   It's literally impossible to get even open minded individuals to act in concert towards a a co-dependant purpose like social distancing within a leisure setting.   While people tend to be naturally self interested and have perhaps a passing interest in the welfare of others and society as a whole,   they are also very social,  perhaps for underlying,  selfish motives.    The pub is for relaxing and being social.    It doesn't live well with being on the ball about behaviours and responsibilities.    

Pubs have dealt with many different things over the years, usually involving drunk folk. 

They will deal with this as well. Social distancing will be observed better in a well run boozer than someone's house. 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I know the answer is probably pretty obvious, but why's that? Is it because of the number of people you can't cram in (eaters have to sit at tables whereas drinkers can be standing around - pre-Covid anyway), or because of the margins involved?

Margins being one. Bigger spend per head if you are eating as well. They have already had a leg up with the Vat cut and the 50% discount. 

A table of four will spend at least £40 between them if they are eating and will probably be in for around an hour. 

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Margins being one. Bigger spend per head if you are eating as well. They have already had a leg up with the Vat cut and the 50% discount. 

A table of four will spend at least £40 between them if they are eating and will probably be in for around an hour. 

:thumb:

Anyway we digress. 

Not at all. The economic effects of the pandemic are important too.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not at all. The economic effects of the pandemic are important too.

Well pubs in Bolton had their hours restricted. Have to close at 10pm. Not sure what difference that'll make 

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

We are as busy as we can be at the minute, we started taking bookings as we were turning folk away last Friday which is unheard of unless we’ve just won the cup. We are taking details, doing table service, sanitising as much as possible and wearing masks when you got to the toilet much to a few folks annoyance. 
What we will do for the first game of the season on Tuesday 6th of October is still up in the air depending on fans being allowed in. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Well pubs in Bolton had their hours restricted. Have to close at 10pm. Not sure what difference that'll make 

I think folk tend to forget the guidelines when they’re more drunk later on in the night.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

We are as busy as we can be at the minute, we started taking bookings as we were turning folk away last Friday which is unheard of unless we’ve just won the cup. We are taking details, doing table service, sanitising as much as possible and wearing masks when you got to the toilet much to a few folks annoyance. 
What we will do for the first game of the season on Tuesday 6th of October is still up in the air depending on fans being allowed in. 

Doing things properly. I would expect nothing less. 

Yes it's harder work than normal for pubs but I'm fully of the belief that it will be worth it in the long run for the pubs that do it properly just now. People will have confidence in them. 

I'm seeing it already in my job. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Doing things properly. I would expect nothing less. 

Yes it's harder work than normal for pubs but I'm fully of the belief that it will be worth it in the long run for the pubs that do it properly just now. People will have confidence in them. 

I'm seeing it already in my job. 

Indeed. I’ve been in a few other places and not been that impressed, Akva was good. The hardest part is stopping folk from chatting as the walk back and forward from the toilets. We’ve had some lively chat between us about what we should be doing, and I seem to have been given the job of looking at the guidelines. It’s not the same but it is what it is and we just have to get on with it. 

Indeed. I’ve been in a few other places and not been that impressed, Akva was good. The hardest part is stopping folk from chatting as the walk back and forward from the toilets. We’ve had some lively chat between us about what we should be doing, and I seem to have been given the job of looking at the guidelines. It’s not the same but it is what it is and we just have to get on with it. 

It's been generally OK down by me but I live in a town rather than city. 

I think you will always look at other places and criticise to an extent. 

Guidelines will evolve and move on or maybe tighten up. 

I'm on the working group for my company regarding how we implement them in our pubs. Absolute nightmare but necessary. 

29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry but why do you have to wear a mask when going to the toilet? Didn't think this was in the guidance? 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Sorry but why do you have to wear a mask when going to the toilet? Didn't think this was in the guidance? 

We felt it was better to go this way, even though someone from the council told us it wasn’t necessary. There’s points on the way to the toilet where the 1m social distancing isn’t possible. It leads to “ah dinnae huv tae dae that in blah blah blah”, well **** off back there then pal 😜

Why is it that on trains , seats are kept empty to ensure social distancing , yet that’s not the case on buses (and maybe the tram) ? 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

It's been generally OK down by me but I live in a town rather than city. 

I think you will always look at other places and criticise to an extent. 

Guidelines will evolve and move on or maybe tighten up. 

I'm on the working group for my company regarding how we implement them in our pubs. Absolute nightmare but necessary. 

Visors worn like caps without masks, no table service, no social distancing, standing around covered pool tables, and a few stories from other pubs. The worry is that one outbreak in one pub and were all closed. You’re right though I am hyper critical though in other places. I’m even worse at the games, apologies to anyone that’s has to listen to it over the years. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Visors worn like caps without masks, no table service, no social distancing, standing around covered pool tables, and a few stories from other pubs. The worry is that one outbreak in one pub and were all closed. You’re right though I am hyper critical though in other places. I’m even worse at the games, apologies to anyone that’s has to listen to it over the years. 

We have our area managers working like dogs atm. Visiting each of their pubs at least once a week with no notice to try and keep on top of everything. 

I would also suggest shortening the backswing a little btw😁😁😁

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You're a whingeing faced kent in general tbh. 

:D👍

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Why is it that on trains , seats are kept empty to ensure social distancing , yet that’s not the case on buses (and maybe the tram) ? 

Plenty room on a train at the moment so can spread out along coaches but on a bus you can’t do that as buses are much busier than trains at the moment 

When trains get busier the empty seats will have people sitting in them 

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We felt it was better to go this way, even though someone from the council told us it wasn’t necessary. There’s points on the way to the toilet where the 1m social distancing isn’t possible. It leads to “ah dinnae huv tae dae that in blah blah blah”, well **** off back there then pal 😜

You see that would just make me not go back. I realise I'm in the minority and the pub can do what it wants but I don't want to be spoken to like a naughty child when out for a pint.

Appreciate it's your business but there will be plenty of others that feel this way too.

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You see that would just make me not go back. I realise I'm in the minority and the pub can do what it wants but I don't want to be spoken to like a naughty child when out for a pint.

Appreciate it's your business but there will be plenty of others that feel this way too.

Its not the pubs making the rules .

It the guidelines there issued with,so  folk like yourself can go out for a pint.

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

See when you stand up to go for a piss just put a mask on until you get back to the table. Not difficult really is it? 

2 minutes ago, Tott said:

Its not the pubs making the rules .

It the guidelines there issued with,so  folk like yourself can go out for a pint.

Well it is in this case. I will just go somewhere else.

To help your local pub stay open ,it isnt really a big ask.

3 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

See when you stand up to go for a piss just put a mask on until you get back to the table. Not difficult really is it? 

No sorry I don't consent to not being allowed to breathe fresh air. I appreciate the irony given we are talking about the toilets in the diggers....

It might seem like a minor inconvenience but that's not the point. As I say I will just go somewhere that doesn't feel like having a pint in the ERI canteen.

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

No, they have looked at their layout and decided that's the safest way they can operate within current guidelines. 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

We have our area managers working like dogs atm. Visiting each of their pubs at least once a week with no notice to try and keep on top of everything. 

I would also suggest shortening the backswing a little btw😁😁😁

That’s good news. 
I’m over swinging a little, but the real problem is my wrists opening the face too early, aiming to the right and coming over the top on the downswing to compensate.Only the 2nd time I’ve hit  balls for about 5 years, and the first time I’ve ever seen my swing 😃

1 minute ago, Tott said:

To help your local pub stay open ,it isnt really a big ask.

It's the pubs choice in this case. It's absurd anyway as you are not going to get a virus by walking past someone!

That’s good news. 
I’m over swinging a little, but the real problem is my wrists opening the face too early, aiming to the right and coming over the top on the downswing to compensate.Only the 2nd time I’ve hit  balls for about 5 years, and the first time I’ve ever seen my swing 😃

Shorten the swing. Concentrate on setting the hands at the top then pull down from the left hip. 

Seeing your swing is like hearing your voice on tape for the first time 😂😂

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Don’t act like a naughty school child and you won’t be spoken to like one, in all seriousness though pubs have always had rules that have to be adhered to and we’ve always had to tell people what not to do, it’s just a additional set of guidelines. In the main most people are happy that we are doing all we can to keep everyone safe in these extraordinary times. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Notts1874 said:

Shorten the swing. Concentrate on setting the hands at the top then pull down from the left hip. 

Seeing your swing is like hearing your voice on tape for the first time 😂😂

Cheers, it’s weird 😆

It's the pubs choice in this case. It's absurd anyway as you are not going to get a virus by walking past someone!

Most pubs have a one in one out toilet policy,some i have been in,you have to go outside  and come back in the other door,due to there one way systems.

So wearing  mask to go for a piss in the diggers doesnt seem much of a hassle tbh.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Pubs have dealt with many different things over the years, usually involving drunk folk. 

They will deal with this as well. Social distancing will be observed better in a well run boozer than someone's house. 

👍

Just now, Tott said:

Most pubs have a one in one out toilet policy,some i have been in,you have to go outside  and come back in the other door,due to there one way systems.

So wearing  mask to go for a piss in the diggers doesnt seem much of a hassle tbh.

It's not he just wants to make it a point. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

No sorry I don't consent to not being allowed to breathe fresh air. I appreciate the irony given we are talking about the toilets in the diggers....

It might seem like a minor inconvenience but that's not the point. As I say I will just go somewhere that doesn't feel like having a pint in the ERI canteen.

Toilets are wiped down every hour, fresh air in through an open door, fans on sook to take used air out. Those measures ok by you 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔😜?

Cheers, it’s weird 😆

Take a quick lesson rather than just batter baws thinking of Levein 😂😂😂😂

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You might if they cough on you. 

Pasquale for King

Take a quick lesson rather than just batter baws thinking of Levein 😂😂😂😂

I could think of him I would just be smashing the whole place up, I’m trying to leave him in the past and move on to a happier place 😆

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I could think of him I would just be smashing the whole place up, I’m trying to leave him in the past and move on to a happier place 😆

Yeah that's probably best for yourself mate. We had our falling outs about him but that's life 😂😂😂

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Don’t act like a naughty school child and you won’t be spoken to like one, in all seriousness though pubs have always had rules that have to be adhered to and we’ve always had to tell people what not to do, it’s just a additional set of guidelines. In the main most people are happy that we are doing all we can to keep everyone safe in these extraordinary times. 

:greatpost:

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Yeah that's probably best for yourself mate. We had our falling outs about him but that's life 😂😂😂

This place can be therapeutic at times, certainly kept me going through lockdown. I think I needed a break from the games, but now we’re moving in the right direction and I’m beginning to look forward to the games. 
Then I can start being a moany ******* again 🙈🤪

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

What about the unwell pubs?

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Climate change??? Covid seems to be being used as  a trojan horse for instigating behavioural change, road narrowing, new cycle lanes, working from home becoming the "new normal", reducing aviation traffic. There is a UK wide group of mayors, council leaders  business figures etc driving it. Some crackpot Professor has also devised a proposal based on nobody having to travel more than 20mins from home on foot or by bike, for any of their daily activities; work, school, gym, shops, etc. These creepy, unelected Greens in Holyrood also seem to have a bit of clout and would quite happily have us living like we did 200 years ago.

Sounds perfect. Flexible working from home, less traffic, less pollution....simpler, less selfish times that leave a world to live in for our kids and their kids. ❤️

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You might if they cough on you. 

Might get hit by a bus on Gorgie Road. It's fine I don't want to argue about it. I will just go somewhere where it's not required.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic