Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

AlphonseCapone
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

One thing that keeps being ignored is that,  as well as having to do whatever is possible to allow as much of the economy to return to normality as is possible,  it's almost just as important to provide as much confidence as is possible to the public in order that they get on with normal activities and to spend money in the economy.

Governments could do nothing.   Ignore rises in infections.   Tell people there's nothing to worry about.   Tell people to go back to workplaces.   Open everything with no restrictions.   But if half the public have no confidence that they can go about their activities in relative co-operative safety or comfort,   then they wont participate in economic activity to the degree being encouraged.

The two are co-dependant.    The freedom to do things + the confidence to do them.    

I'm happy enough to admit that when I first went to the pub and restaurants I was pretty nervous, and I'm not a world is doomed type. But there was a level of fear there. The more I've been out though the less I've felt that. And I stick to all the measures I'm asked to so it's still a bit weird. But some people will remain worried no matter what the government say. I think the cure is they get back out there again and experience what it is actually like imo. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

No fan of Boris either but I'm not seeing his restrictions as being stricter? 

Only 2 households can meet indoors in England. 3 in Scotland.

Six people from multiple households can meet outdoors in England. Up to 15 from 5 households in Scotland.

He's gone power mad etc.

Edited by Ray Gin

Captain Canada
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

£2.6 million has been invested to expand the NHS 24 Mental Health Hub and Breathing Space.

And how far do you think that will go? And how much less is it than what's been wasted on many aspects of the lockdown so far? 

Scotland already had an horrendous record on mental health and while any cash is better than nothing, £2.6m is not going to help everyone who needs it. Not even close. 

1 minute ago, Captain Canada said:

And how far do you think that will go? And how much less is it than what's been wasted on many aspects of the lockdown so far? 

Scotland already had an horrendous record on mental health and while any cash is better than nothing, £2.6m is not going to help everyone who needs it. Not even close. 

A lot further than zero additional funding, I would suspect.

5 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I'm happy enough to admit that when I first went to the pub and restaurants I was pretty nervous, and I'm not a world is doomed type. But there was a level of fear there. The more I've been out though the less I've felt that. And I stick to all the measures I'm asked to so it's still a bit weird. But some people will remain worried no matter what the government say. I think the cure is they get back out there again and experience what it is actually like imo. 

It's finding the happy medium. I'm happy enough to go out for a bevvy but if I walk into somewhere and see its not complying I just leave. 

Captain Canada
Just now, Ray Gin said:

A lot further than zero additional funding, I would suspect.

Yes, but helping just a fraction of those who need it is not much of an achievement. I have voted for the SNP many times but their track record on health, including mental health, is abysmal but they're certainly not alone in that. 

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

It's finding the happy medium. I'm happy enough to go out for a bevvy but if I walk into somewhere and see its not complying I just leave. 

Absolutely. 

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Probably different sets of considerations in various different settings.    I felt perfectly safe going for a haircut when it was allowed.   Infections were very,  very low at the time.   The barber was busy and there were few masks being worn but it seemed safe.   My golf club is spacious and it's fairly safe in terms of people going about doing the right and sensible things.    Not been in a pub yet and have no immediate plans to.    I would love to get out and about but I see it as an activity that can be taken out of the equation.   I don't need to be in the pub therefore it's one area of risk that can be eliminated.    

Dealing with the public at work is the most uncomfortable thing.    You would be surprised how many people do not appear to be willing to participate in the co-operative things.   No masks,  people getting too close,  not giving a shit about staying behind a screen,  etc.

Making the public genuinely comfortable to get out and get on with stuff is difficult.    Words are not enough.   People will know and see how infections,  hospital admissions and deaths are going.   People can see how other people tend to observe co-operative personal responsibilities.    The economy will suffer if the general vista deteriorates to being risky.

27 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Watch it you'll be warned that your being too " complacent." 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

There's a lot of bickering going on, understandably due to it being an emotive topic.

I'm all for Natural Orders following his 'FACTS' and I'm all for others who are happy exposing themselves to some risk doing so 👍

If you're worried, stay indoors. If you're not, crack on imo.

Best posting on here in a long time 

Nucky Thompson
28 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Six people from multiple households can meet outdoors in England. Up to 15 from 5 households in Scotland.

He's gone power mad etc.

It's 30 outdoors in England as it stands but it will probably get cut tomorrow after a meeting today

Nucky Thompson
31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

He's gone power mad etc.

Double post

Edited by Nucky Thompson

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's 30 outdoors in England as it stands but it will probably get cut tomorrow after a meeting today

It's only 30 allowed if they are all from just 2 households. 

You can see the ones with the cavalier attitude who will play this down until either they get it or someone they know suffers and dies from it. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Some houses they must have ! 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

30 from 2 households? What size are the houses down there 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

Pretty much where I am. Just hate this nanny state that some find acceptable.

Nanny state. :lol:

I'm still managing to visit my local regularly.🍺🍺👍

All is good. 

jack D and coke
Just now, King prawn said:

Some houses they must have ! 

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

30 from 2 households? What size are the houses down there 

I was listening to LBC the other week and a guy from Oldham said 3 houses in his street (3 bed homes) had over 20 people living in them. 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

You can see the ones with the cavalier attitude who will play this down until either they get it or someone they know suffers and dies from it. 

I've saw this line trotted out umpteen times.

I know 2 people in their 90's with dementia who have died with covid-19.  Both within 3 days of each other back in May

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This.

Same with my local. People are complying with the basics without any fuss and in return are being treated like grown ups and allowed to move around and chat to punters as normal. 

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Same with my local. People are complying with the basics without any fuss and in return are being treated like grown ups and allowed to move around and chat to punters as normal. 

The only shit bit is I can't stand at the bar but I'll cope for now. 

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Weakened Offender said:

allowed to move around and chat to punters as normal. 

That's against the rules.

Natural Orders will be along with his FACTS shortly 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

As long as they are sat at tables of six it's probably within the rules. 

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

The only shit bit is I can't stand at the bar but I'll cope for now. 

Not being able to sit/stand at the bar will kill the local pub trade. 

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

My local is full of sensible gadgeys like me who can self-police certain things. 😉

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

Not being able to sit/stand at the bar will kill the local pub trade. 

People will get used to it. They won't have a choice for a while. 

Trade is starting to pick up for wet lead pubs. Slowly but surely. I see the figures weekly 👍👍

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

The 1968 Hong Kong flu killed about four times as many as covid 19. It is still with us. You do not beat a virus by wearing a mask or avoiding other human contact. 

You carry on regardless and get to the other side. 

The government has always done this until now. What are they not telling us? 

Climate change??? Covid seems to be being used as  a trojan horse for instigating behavioural change, road narrowing, new cycle lanes, working from home becoming the "new normal", reducing aviation traffic. There is a UK wide group of mayors, council leaders  business figures etc driving it. Some crackpot Professor has also devised a proposal based on nobody having to travel more than 20mins from home on foot or by bike, for any of their daily activities; work, school, gym, shops, etc. These creepy, unelected Greens in Holyrood also seem to have a bit of clout and would quite happily have us living like we did 200 years ago.

16 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Nanny state. :lol:

I'm still managing to visit my local regularly.🍺🍺👍

All is good. 

As long as you don't speak to anyone else and leave your name and address when you're there!

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I know a few who’ve had it including my niece, her boyfriend, her mum, her partner and his son. Also a couple of lads at local rugby club right after the some of them had returned from the Italy match. None died all have recovered and couple (my niece and her bf) said they barely felt ill at all. 
Not for a second suggesting that’s same for everyone though. 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

As long as they are sat at tables of six it's probably within the rules. 

I was under the impression the rules were that you couldn't mix with other tables? 

It doesn't happen anyway when the bevy is flowing

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

As long as you don't speak to anyone else and leave your name and address when you're there!

So you can't speak to another table sat 1m away?  

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Climate change??? Covid seems to be being used as  a trojan horse for instigating behavioural change, road narrowing, new cycle lanes, working from home becoming the "new normal", reducing aviation traffic. There is a UK wide group of mayors, council leaders  business figures etc driving it. Some crackpot Professor has also devised a proposal based on nobody having to travel more than 20mins from home on foot or by bike, for any of their daily activities; work, school, gym, shops, etc. These creepy, unelected Greens in Holyrood also seem to have a bit of clout and would quite happily have us living like we did 200 years ago.

There is something wrong with a parliament that gives these nut jobs a day but you're rights they seem to be in cahoots with the SNP.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

So you can't speak to another table sat 1m away?  

No idea what daft rules they have put in place to be honest.

Was in 2 pubs last week. One was almost normal other than name and address. The other was platform 5 whichever has much going for it but is now 100 times worse.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I just toast our great despot leader.

:P

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

No idea what daft rules they have put in place to be honest.

Was in 2 pubs last week. One was almost normal other than name and address. The other was platform 5 whichever has much going for it but is now 100 times worse.

So you are having a go at the daft rules without knowing what they are. 👍👍

It's enormously reassuring and somewhat heart-warming to read all about the razor sharp,  eagle eyed,    responsible compliance of people on here and about all the really diligent,  covid compliant hospitality venues they frequent.    The down side is the sudden and awful realisation that these examples of joy do not represent the entirity of the hospitality sector.    Damn and blast.   

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Probably different sets of considerations in various different settings.    I felt perfectly safe going for a haircut when it was allowed.   Infections were very,  very low at the time.   The barber was busy and there were few masks being worn but it seemed safe.   My golf club is spacious and it's fairly safe in terms of people going about doing the right and sensible things.    Not been in a pub yet and have no immediate plans to.    I would love to get out and about but I see it as an activity that can be taken out of the equation.   I don't need to be in the pub therefore it's one area of risk that can be eliminated.    

Dealing with the public at work is the most uncomfortable thing.    You would be surprised how many people do not appear to be willing to participate in the co-operative things.   No masks,  people getting too close,  not giving a shit about staying behind a screen,  etc.

Making the public genuinely comfortable to get out and get on with stuff is difficult.    Words are not enough.   People will know and see how infections,  hospital admissions and deaths are going.   People can see how other people tend to observe co-operative personal responsibilities.    The economy will suffer if the general vista deteriorates to being risky.

Nae pals then.

Sair yin.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's enormously reassuring and somewhat heart-warming to read all about the razor sharp,  eagle eyed,    responsible compliance of people on here and about all the really diligent,  covid compliant hospitality venues they frequent.    The down side is the sudden and awful realisation that these examples of joy do not represent the entirity of the hospitality sector.    Damn and blast.   

90% of the industry is following guidelines. Just like 90% of pubs don't allow drug taking etc etc. 

Weakened Offender
35 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Trade is starting to pick up for wet lead pubs. Slowly but surely. I see the figures weekly 👍👍

Hopefully. 👍

30 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I know a few who’ve had it including my niece, her boyfriend, her mum, her partner and his son. Also a couple of lads at local rugby club right after the some of them had returned from the Italy match. None died all have recovered and couple (my niece and her bf) said they barely felt ill at all. 
Not for a second suggesting that’s same for everyone though. 

My daughter in law who is a Dr reckons she had it despite having tested negative. She is fine now and been working in A&E since. She has had a few through with symptoms but they get transferred to a Covid Ward. 

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

90% of the industry is following guidelines. Just like 90% of pubs don't allow drug taking etc etc. 

I'm sure most establishments are trying their best anyway.     There will undoubtedly be a minority of non-compliant venues.   Some willfully.    Individual,  personal behaviours are more troublesome.    

40 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I'd never heard this expression before. Cheers. 👍

Just now, Victorian said:

I'm sure most establishments are trying their best anyway.     There will undoubtedly be a minority of non-compliant venues.   Some willfully.    Individual,  personal behaviours are more troublesome.    

Correct. We think the next step might well be closing individual pubs if they aren't complying. 

That's in England btw. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic