Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Rubbish.  Never once moaned about masks.  I've always worn mine outside and places were one has to. Whether they are effective is another matter.  I didn't disagree with the lockdown per so but believe the longer term damage to the populations mental health, employment, family life etc etc is the main concern if it we went into another full lockdown.  ( which we wont ) 

Apologies if I've got you mixed up with another poster. Hard to keep track of who was moaning about what.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Jason Leitch spoke about the rise in infections and the likely impact and timescales.    He reckons a month between seeing increases in infections and a related increase in hospital admissions.    What was mentioned yesterday and today.    

Relaxed about not seeing the sharp end figures rising?    Wait a while,  this may well change for the worse.

What do people want?    Ongoing sensible vigilance and any necessary measures... or another lockdown?

Normality. Not an out of proportion response to a virus that is no more dangerous than flu.

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

Normality. Not an out of proportion response to a virus that is no more dangerous than flu.

I'm sure that if a virus that is no more dangerous than the flu comes along then we will remain in normality.

Covid-19, however, is considerably more dangerous than the flu.

4 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Remains to be seen.   I hope you don't end up disappointed.     

Personally I can live with and observe another spell of vigilance and caution until the time that vaccines begin to come on stream (if licenced).    I'm not minded to pretend it's gone away yet.

3 hours ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

Having been in Poland and Scotland in the past month, I found Scotland in general to be a bit stricter. Poland was fairly relaxed. Still observed face masks and social distancing but everything was open and no reservations or track and trace required. 

Still, it was still very easy to have fun in both countries. I really can't understand how putting on your face mask here and there and registering your presence can ruin a holiday but each to their own. 

He is 70 and was on a jolly boys outing 🤣

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm sure that if a virus that is no more dangerous than the flu comes along then we will remain in normality.

Covid-19, however, is considerably more dangerous than the flu.

Time will tell. But then again will it seeing as they cant test for covid 19 as opposed to any other strain.

So far we only have the government scare tactics to come to your conclusion.

11 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Making sense of all the facts (Day 249) – IChemE

We need sturgeon and leitch to release a 70s style musical message to the tune of D-I-S-C-O.

Would lighten the gloom! 

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Hospital numbers are lower than April - fact

Numbers in ICU lower than April - fact

daily death toll a fraction of April - fact.

Its not open to debate the data doesn’t lie and no scientist anywhere would say anything different.  

The situation right now is better than April - fact. 

If there were only something that we've done during that time that could explain the figures. A lockdown, perhaps?

The "let's just all go back to how it was before" brigade on here are mind-numbingly wrong (I'm not including you in this, BJ). We're only where we are because of social interaction restrictions. It's not rocket science. We have to ease ourselves out of restrictions again because if we go too fast, we'll be back at square one. Once a virus gets out there, gets past a certain threshold, it causes havoc, as we found out to our cost earlier on this year.

I'm loving the "doom-mongers" chat, particularly from those who are saying that that if we don't relax more quickly now, there will be repercussions on the health of the population and the economy. "My doom is better than your doom!" :D Ironic in the extreme.

We are only where we are due to careful management. We will only get out of this with careful management. And that means we all have to do our bit.

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Time will tell. But then again will it seeing as they cant test for covid 19 as opposed to any other strain.

Covid-19 is the prevalent strain across the world right now, not heard reports of a different one. Whatever strain or combination of strains are out there doesn't really make any difference though - they are more dangerous than the flu regardless, with people being left with lasting health issues and a higher death rate.

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

:interehjrling:

We need sturgeon and leitch to release a 70s style musical message to the tune of D-I-S-C-O.

Would lighten the gloom! 

:D I like that idea. How about a take on YMCA, starting "Young man, have you been partying around?". Ok, so you're going to have to cram the 5-letter FACTS into the 4-letter YMCA, but I'm sure it could be done.

25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Jason Leitch spoke about the rise in infections and the likely impact and timescales.    He reckons a month between seeing increases in infections and a related increase in hospital admissions.    What was mentioned yesterday and today.    

Relaxed about not seeing the sharp end figures rising?    Wait a while,  this may well change for the worse.

What do people want?    Ongoing sensible vigilance and any necessary measures... or another lockdown?

Lockdown please, make it happen.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If there were only something that we've done during that time that could explain the figures. A lockdown, perhaps?

The "let's just all go back to how it was before" brigade on here are mind-numbingly wrong (I'm not including you in this, BJ). We're only where we are because of social interaction restrictions. It's not rocket science. We have to ease ourselves out of restrictions again because if we go too fast, we'll be back at square one. Once a virus gets out there, gets past a certain threshold, it causes havoc, as we found out to our cost earlier on this year.

I'm loving the "doom-mongers" chat, particularly from those who are saying that that if we don't relax more quickly now, there will be repercussions on the health of the population and the economy. "My doom is better than your doom!" :D Ironic in the extreme.

We are only where we are due to careful management. We will only get out of this with careful management. And that means we all have to do our bit.

Pin this to the top of every page.

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Remains to be seen.   I hope you don't end up disappointed.     

Personally I can live with and observe another spell of vigilance and caution until the time that vaccines begin to come on stream (if licenced).    I'm not minded to pretend it's gone away yet.

I’d be shocked if we get a vaccine anytime soon. The upper respiratory tract is almost a separate immune system and it’s difficult to get a vaccine to target that area. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24632804-000-why-itll-still-be-a-long-time-before-we-get-a-coronavirus-vaccine/

30 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Rubbish.  Never once moaned about masks.  I've always worn mine outside and places were one has to. Whether they are effective is another matter.  I didn't disagree with the lockdown per so but believe the longer term damage to the populations mental health, employment, family life etc etc is the main concern if it we went into another full lockdown.  ( which we wont ) 

I can see Glasgow going into a stricter lockdown (perhaps similar to the one Aberdeen went through) very soon if the figures go the way they're going.

National lockdown? No, unless something goes completely awry, we're past that stage now. However local lockdowns could turn out to be very strict. In fact, I can see the approach becoming "strike quick, strike hard", with the idea of nipping the local infections in the bud before they have a chance to spread, implementing contact tracing and extensive testing, and then getting back out of lockdown asap.

Sorry if this is seem as "doom-mongering". I just think that those in charge will look at Aberdeen and see how well that worked. So far, Glasgow is not showing the same propensity to head in the same way, although admittedly it is early days in the local lockdown there.

So, I guess what I am saying is that you may be disappointed if you live in an area which experiences a spike or cluster and needs to be locked down because I think that the approach *may* change. All eyes on Glasgow.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I can see Glasgow going into a stricter lockdown (perhaps similar to the one Aberdeen went through) very soon if the figures go the way they're going.

National lockdown? No, unless something goes completely awry, we're past that stage now. However local lockdowns could turn out to be very strict. In fact, I can see the approach becoming "strike quick, strike hard", with the idea of nipping the local infections in the bud before they have a chance to spread, implementing contact tracing and extensive testing, and then getting back out of lockdown asap.

Sorry if this is seem as "doom-mongering". I just think that those in charge will look at Aberdeen and see how well that worked. So far, Glasgow is not showing the same propensity to head in the same way, although admittedly it is early days in the local lockdown there.

So, I guess what I am saying is that you may be disappointed if you live in an area which experiences a spike or cluster and needs to be locked down because I think that the approach *may* change. All eyes on Glasgow.

We could be playing lockdown lottery for years as covid wont be going away. Will depend on how long the public puts up with it I guess.

22 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Would lighten the gloom! 

Some boy today asked them if they'd consider using Lewis Capaldi as the face of their campaigns. 

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

IMG-20200908-WA0001.jpg

Ooh we getting memes out again.....a virus so virulent and deadly...you have to be tested to know that you have it. 

A test that the inventor himself said should not be used to identify viruses. '

regarding Kary Mullis’ intention for the PCR, this is what he said:

“I’m sad that he isn’t here to defend his manufacturing technique. Kary did not invent a test. He invented a very powerful manufacturing technique that is being abused. What are the best applications for PCR? Not medical diagnostics. He knew that and he always said that.”

https://www.weblyf.com/2020/05/coronavirus-the-truth-about-pcr-test-kit-from-the-inventor-and-other-experts/

A virus that hasn't even been established yet by the gold standard of virus definition...Koch's Postulates.

And yet there going to have vaccines ready to roll come year end for a virus that has not been established yet?....good luck to all of you that want it...not for me thanks.

e9477010.jpg

Edited by heartstastic

8 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Some boy today asked them if they'd consider using Lewis Capaldi as the face of their campaigns. 

As if things couldn't get anymore depressing! 

Just now, heartstastic said:

Ooh we getting memes out again.....a virus so virulent and deadly...you have to be tested to know that you have it. 

“I’m sad that he isn’t here to defend his manufacturing technique. Kary did not invent a test. He invented a very powerful manufacturing technique that is being abused. What are the best applications for PCR? Not medical diagnostics. He knew that and he always said that.”

https://www.weblyf.com/2020/05/coronavirus-the-truth-about-pcr-test-kit-from-the-inventor-and-other-experts/

A virus that hasn't even been established yet by the gold standard of virus definition...Koch's Postulates.

And yet there going to have vaccines ready to roll come year end for a virus that has not be established yet?....good luck to all of you that want it...not for me thanks.

e9477010.jpg

Christ it was just a bit of humour but you crack on. 

12 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I’d be shocked if we get a vaccine anytime soon. The upper respiratory tract is almost a separate immune system and it’s difficult to get a vaccine to target that area. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24632804-000-why-itll-still-be-a-long-time-before-we-get-a-coronavirus-vaccine/

All been known for a long time.   Interim results are still very good.

We could be playing lockdown lottery for years as covid wont be going away. Will depend on how long the public puts up with it I guess.

I bloody well hope not. I have a brighter view of the future than you do and I don't think this will last for years. I've no evidence whatsoever for that though (and I don't think anyone does yet as there are still too many unknowns). I realise that we have to manage this all carefully, but I'm still mega pissed off by the whole thing. I yearn back to pre-Covid days when we were all blissfully unaware of what lay ahead. :(

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

And yet there going to have vaccines ready to roll come year end for a virus that has not be established yet?....good luck to all of you that want it...not for me thanks.

e9477010.jpg

That’s a belter :lol: 

My life is memes and gifs tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

All been known for a long time.   Interim results are still very good.

The vaccine will kill more than would have died from covid. 

As if things couldn't get anymore depressing! 

:D You've made me laugh twice today now. Given that we are poles apart on our opinions on the approach to Covid, I would have never thought that possible. Nice one, Bt2.

jack D and coke

A vaccine (that if ever appears) half the population at least will refuse point blank to take.  

Where do you get that from?

10 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

:lol: best post in the thread by a distance. 

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D You've made me laugh twice today now. Given that we are poles apart on our opinions on the approach to Covid, I would have never thought that possible. Nice one, Bt2.

Fair enough mate. 

I only call things the way I see them after doing a fair bit of research (lockdown is not healthy!). If I turn it to be wrong then so be it. I'm not interested in politics but this is bigger than that. Would far rather be in the terrace arguing about some dodgy refereeing decision. But that simple pleasure has been taken away! 

Anyway meant to be working....

7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

:lol: best post in the thread by a distance. 

Let me clarify this with the following! It will be rushed through without the usual testing procedures. Making people a lot of money but at a healthy cost. 

Let me clarify this with the following! It will be rushed through without the usual testing procedures. Making people a lot of money but at a healthy cost. 

Breaking news. All the big pharmaceutical companies have signed an agreement to say any vaccine will not be rushed for political reasons or words to that effect. 

Literally just broke about an hour ago. Obviously discount Russia from that. 

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

3 deaths of people who had a 96% chance of having an underlying condition or were over 80. 

Were we immortal before covid? Get the despot and her dentist accomplice off the telly and stop scaring the weak and vulnerable. 

You need to stop spreading false information 

very irresponsible 

It is a concern, and there will no doubt be tremendous pressure on governments and companies to quickly get a vaccine to the stage that it can be deployed en masse. Hopefully however the scientists will trump the politicians and companies on this one in order to ensure that vaccines are as safe as possible when they are released. It was heartening to see the reaction against the Russian vaccine claims, for example.

A positive aspect is that the fear of producing a vaccine that causes negative side-effects or doesn't work at all (the former being much more serious of course), and forever being associated with that failure, should act to some extent as a brake on the pressures mentioned above.

4 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

:rofl:

What’s so funny mate? 
what do you find about false information regarding a deadly virus even remotely funny?

13 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Fair enough mate. 

I only call things the way I see them after doing a fair bit of research (lockdown is not healthy!). If I turn it to be wrong then so be it. I'm not interested in politics but this is bigger than that. Would far rather be in the terrace arguing about some dodgy refereeing decision. But that simple pleasure has been taken away! 

Anyway meant to be working....

11 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Working...what at, digging holes?

5 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Breaking news. All the big pharmaceutical companies have signed an agreement to say any vaccine will not be rushed for political reasons or words to that effect. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/distributing-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19-and-flu/consultation-document-changes-to-human-medicine-regulations-to-support-the-rollout-of-covid-19-vaccines

Have a read of that and see if you can spot any contradictions with the breaking news.

8 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

From today's FT:

Major pharmaceutical companies, including AstraZeneca, BioNTech and GlaxoSmithKline, have pledged their commitment to the safety and efficacy of a Covid-19 vaccine amid a global race to find a cure for the disease. Chief executives from leading US and European developers “want to make clear our ongoing commitment to developing and testing potential vaccines for Covid-19 in accordance with high ethical standards and sound scientific principles”, they said in a joint statement on Tuesday.

Vaccines typically take years to develop with rigorous testing on thousands of patients but fears have been growing that a treatment will be rushed through for political purposes ahead of the US presidential election in November. The other companies that have signed the agreement are Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Moderna, Novavax, Pfizer and Sanofi.

The drugmakers said they would follow procedures and standards from specialised regulatory authorities such as the US Food and Drug Administration, including only submitting for the emergency use of a treatment after completing large-scale phase three studies that show its safety and efficacy. At the end of last month, the head of the FDA said he was willing to bypass the normal approval process to authorise a Covid-19 vaccine as soon as possible, if officials believed the benefits outweighed the risks.

25 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

You need to stop spreading false information 

very irresponsible 

What do you mean false information......she is a despot.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Another lockdown won’t be a problem apparently because according to that cheesy Scot. Gov. (aka SNP) TV ad:

‘WE ARE SCOTLAND!!!‘

:rofl:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic