Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Depends a bit on who are being tested. 

But while deaths from or rather with Coronavirus are running at 2 a day or about 0.1% or 1 in 1000 of all deaths (and mostly deaths

of those with serious life threatening conditions) then just maybe our obsession with Coronavirus is a bit OTT.

2 young  people died in a road accident yesterday leaving two children without parents. It got one very small paragraph in the paper.

Yet when I pointed out the 0.1%, the doom mongers mocked

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just been for annual MOT at the Surgery.  Tests all came back good. Pleasing. The waiting room was dead. Before Covid it used to be packed with patients. Made me think of all the germs circulating when it was packed. Think this is how it will carry on, strict appointment times , One person at a time in the waiting room , more phone calls and video calls to the GP instead of previously. 

Really? Most people in the surgeries aren’t carrying contagious diseases in my experience. It’s ailments and in for tests/results etc. 
The thought of masks forever more everywhere really depresses me. It might takes years (if ever) for everyone to drop this paranoia that everyone is now infecting them with something. 
I was thinking about all the holidays and stuff I’ve had over the years and the daft stuff you did, amount of germs you must’ve passed about :lol: foam parties in Ibiza, music festivals etc absolutely heaving busy and how it’s just unlikely to ever happen again because of all the fear that people are now disease ridden and you need locked down and face coverings to go anywhere. 
It’s all very sad imo. 
I hope I’m wrong. 

1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

Yet when I pointed out the 0.1%, the doom mongers mocked

You brought out 0.1% when talking about deaths and cases recorded on that specific day :lol: different to what Francis is talking about. 

7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Really? Most people in the surgeries aren’t carrying contagious diseases in my experience. It’s ailments and in for tests/results etc. 
The thought of masks forever more everywhere really depresses me. It might takes years (if ever) for everyone to drop this paranoia that everyone is now infecting them with something. 
I was thinking about all the holidays and stuff I’ve had over the years and the daft stuff you did, amount of germs you must’ve passed about :lol: foam parties in Ibiza, music festivals etc absolutely heaving busy and how it’s just unlikely to ever happen again because of all the fear that people are now disease ridden and you need locked down and face coverings to go anywhere. 
It’s all very sad imo. 
I hope I’m wrong. 

I never said I agreed with how things are now, it was just an observation. 

Widespread mask use won't last beyond the year imo. General physical distancing efforts might last a bit longer but it'll be back to normal at some point, these measures are temporary. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I never said I agreed with how things are now, it was just an observation. 

Yeah but you said it made you think of all the germs circulating when busy despite it probably never once making you ill in your life. 
Doesn’t that confirm what I said? 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Widespread mask use won't last beyond the year imo. General physical distancing efforts might last a bit longer but it'll be back to normal at some point, these measures are temporary. 

I really hope you’re right bud. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Yeah but you said it made you think of all the germs circulating when busy despite it probably never once making you ill in your life. 

Yes your correct. But i do have a point surely? 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I still cant understand why people are going about wearing masks outside? Saw loads of them in Princes street yesterday.

jack D and coke
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Yes your correct. But i do have a point surely? 

I guess you think you do. I just don’t want to ever start thinking that way.
It’s the wrong road for a peaceful mind. 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I guess you think you do. I just don’t want to ever start thinking that way.
It’s the wrong road for a peaceful mind. 

I agree. 

Nicky hosting the daily briefing today. Yes that daily briefing which was meant to be just on a Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. Shes at it. 

Francis Albert
41 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just been for annual MOT at the Surgery.  Tests all came back good. Pleasing. The waiting room was dead. Before Covid it used to be packed with patients. Made me think of all the germs circulating when it was packed. Think this is how it will carry on, strict appointment times , One person at a time in the waiting room , more phone calls and video calls to the GP instead of previously. 

And as now more people dying of fear of Coronavirus than Coronavirus itself

8 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Nicky hosting the daily briefing today. Yes that daily briefing which was meant to be just on a Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. Shes at it. 

You could.. like.. not watch it but.   

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I still cant understand why people are going about wearing masks outside? Saw loads of them in Princes street yesterday.

Some even with gloves too. Many are terrified. in particular the sight of many elderly infirm people reacting with horror if anyone looks like getting  anywhere even close to 2 metres from them is very sad. What a way to live out possibly the last year or two of your life.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Some even with gloves too. Many are terrified. in particular the sight of many elderly infirm people reacting with horror if anyone looks like getting  anywhere even close to 2 metres from them is very sad. What a way to live out possibly the last year or two of your life.

Better for those elderly infirm you talk about to catch the Virus and die eh Francis,  much better way to spend your remaining days that right enough.

Ffs  :rofl:

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Road traffic accidents tend not to be very "catchy".

Did the 2 Coronavirus deaths get any articles about them in the paper? 

I'm not savvy enough to knkw if we should be coming out of the restrictions now or not but I do think that this stage of a pandemic will always lead to people acting out against the system. We have lived with the restriction for half a year and the signs are that it's relatively safe out there now. A similar attitude that many would have had in January and February. 

Not that I saw but then Coronavirus deaths are now rarely reported and certainly not prominently. The numbers are too small to maintain the fear of the second wave or to use as a tool to beat up the government

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes very sad. 

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Better for those elderly infirm you talk about to catch the Virus and die eh Francis,  much better way to spend your remaining days that right enough.

Ffs  :rofl:

How many are dying? How many are living in fear? 

And as I recall the main value of masks (if there is a significant value) is in limiting the spread of the virus by those infected. Not primarily as a defence against infection.

Edited by Francis Albert

28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I don’t wear a mask outside but can understand why people do.  There’s less risk catching the virus outside but it’s not zero risk - especially on a street like princes st.  

Her health stooge  is on now going on about people maybe getting infected twice.....ramping up the fear due to lack of daily deaths...pathetic. 

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

How many are dying? How many are living in fear? 

And as I recall the main value of masks (if there is a significant value) is in limiting the spread of the virus by those infected. Not primarily as a defence against infection.

Like you I’m heading towards the old and infirm era of my life. My gut feel is that as I get older I’ll likely become more risk tolerant and my focus will be more on doing what makes me feel happy than makes me feel safe. Everyone’s risk balance will be different though.  

3 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I don’t wear a mask outside but can understand why people do.  There’s less risk catching the virus outside but it’s not zero risk - especially on a street like princes st.  

Its practically impossible, if it was we would have been wearing masks from day one and there would have been a massive amount of infections surely?

29 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

No it wasn’t 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Its practically impossible, if it was we would have been wearing masks from day one and there would have been a massive amount of infections surely?

How’s it practically impossible? :lol:

If someone coughs next to you indoors you’re in trouble but if you’re standing on princes St it’s all good don’t worry about it? 

Yes there’s less chance of an infection whilst outside but it’s not ‘practically impossible’. 

5 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Her health stooge  is on now going on about people maybe getting infected twice.....ramping up the fear due to lack of daily deaths...pathetic. 

It’s not an option to do nothing

15 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

and you could not respond to my postings...prid quo pro...

True.  But I wasn't gurning about you posting.   

I P Knightley
On 06/09/2020 at 00:00, jonesy said:

It's more of a visual 'aid' to remind people that the government are keen to be seen doing something.

I haven't bothered the last few times I've been in a shop, and nobody gives a toss.

I do. I give a toss.

Every time I'm in a shop and see somebody without a mask on, it stresses me. It also allows me to form a judgement about their character. 

On 06/09/2020 at 11:21, Brian Dundas said:

I'm not convinced that is true, loading a piece of cloth with the virus then touching it, wearing it again, holding it or wearing it on your wrist, all to me suggest spreading the virus around more rather than less. For them to be affective I would imagine they need to be used correctly and by a very large % of people.

However I'm no scientist and I'm not sure they even know how effective mass mass wearing is without proper training and use

I think you're right. More people observing the guidance will lead to lower transmission rates. You don't need to be a scientist to work that out. But even the mis-handling you describe is better than doing nothing at all. 

59 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Angry about having to wear a mask if it was ever to be known it was not necessary...

:gok:

I've been wearing a seat belt when driving since 1982. Not once has it been called into action. Seething!!

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I do. I give a toss.

Every time I'm in a shop and see somebody without a mask on, it stresses me. It also allows me to form a judgement about their character. 

I think you're right. More people observing the guidance will lead to lower transmission rates. You don't need to be a scientist to work that out. But even the mis-handling you describe is better than doing nothing at all. 

I've been wearing a seat belt when driving since 1982. Not once has it been called into action. Seething!!

Well said 

43 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

We weren't wearing masks from day one because the government didn't want the public buying up all the PPE when they had none for the NHS and other care sectors.

41 minutes ago, Shanks said:

How’s it practically impossible? :lol:

If someone coughs next to you indoors you’re in trouble but if you’re standing on princes St it’s all good don’t worry about it? 

Yes there’s less chance of an infection whilst outside but it’s not ‘practically impossible’. 

You go walking around the city centre with all the halfwits with their masks off while packed like sardines shuffling along the pavement to get their cheap shirts from Next and Primark.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Robbofan99 said:

Are you getting moist watching them?

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You go walking around the city centre with all the halfwits with their masks off while packed like sardines shuffling along the pavement to get their cheap shirts from Next and Primark.

:what:

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Bloody terrible...no deaths again...

That’s not the point mate

it’s younger people who are getting the virus just now.

numbers are going up and we can not be complacent 

Just now, Natural Orders said:

It is the point exactly. 

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Did you make Black Pudding ?

Did you make Black Pudding ?

I would not imagine the production of black pudding involves a sterile practice,😕,

8 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

For some reason even though I have you on ignore am still seeing you pish posts. 

if young people are being infected but not getting seriously ill or dying then that is a good thing. Means older folk aren’t being infected as a result and that ultimately the virus is contained. 

you need to clean your pish stained knickers and get over this crusade your on. Fear mongering isn’t a good thing. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic