Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, jake said:

Also cumalitive?

Does that mean overall or covid?

That means that it's a total of all Covid-related deaths declared since the outbreak began rather than covering a subset of the period.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Yep.  I’m not getting my panic on yet.  Has to be expected that the ramping up of daily testing is naturally going to lead to more positive cases being reported.  

Number of tests has been fairly stable over the last month or so so that can't really account for such a dramatic increase.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I thought this was an interesting article illustrating the lack of real certainty around any of this. A few factors I hadn’t thought of, to be fair. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/06/why-is-it-that-while-covid-19-cases-are-rising-deaths-continue-to-fall

The virus evolving is pertinent imo.

Not saying viruses have intelligent thought but I doubt they want to kill the hosts.

Viruses are part of evolution and we know very little about the outcome or reason behind them.

I've mentioned before our ability of memory is due to a virus millions of years ago.

I know nothing about nothing the more I think I know.

Which isnt much.

The whole thing is wild if you look at pictures or videos showing the interactions between our bodies defences versus these things.

It's like a mini universe.

And as mind blowing.

5 minutes ago, jake said:

The virus evolving is pertinent imo.

Not saying viruses have intelligent thought but I doubt they want to kill the hosts.

Viruses are part of evolution and we know very little about the outcome or reason behind them.

I've mentioned before our ability of memory is due to a virus millions of years ago.

I know nothing about nothing the more I think I know.

Which isnt much.

The whole thing is wild if you look at pictures or videos showing the interactions between our bodies defences versus these things.

It's like a mini universe.

And as mind blowing.

Rather than the intelligence factor, I think it's more "survival of the fittest". Viruses can mutate frequently, often smaller mutations, but at other times larger mutations. A virus isn't going to prosper if it kills its hosts off too quickly as it then won't have enough time to transmit to other hosts. So a more deadly strain can be usurped by a less deadly strain.

Edited by redjambo

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Rather than the intelligence factor, I think it's more "survival of the fittest". Viruses can mutate frequently, often smaller mutations, but at other times larger mutations. A virus isn't going to prosper if it kills its hosts off too quickly as it then won't have enough time to transmit to other hosts. So a more deadly strain can be usurped by a less deadly strain.

I agree with that. 

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Number of tests has been fairly stable over the last month or so so that can't really account for such a dramatic increase.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

Depends a bit on who are being tested. 

But while deaths from or rather with Coronavirus are running at 2 a day or about 0.1% or 1 in 1000 of all deaths (and mostly deaths

of those with serious life threatening conditions) then just maybe our obsession with Coronavirus is a bit OTT.

2 young  people died in a road accident yesterday leaving two children without parents. It got one very small paragraph in the paper.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Depends a bit on who are being tested. 

But while deaths from or rather with Coronavirus are running at 2 a day or about 0.001% or 1 in 1000 of all deaths (and mostly deaths

of those with serious life threatening conditions) then just maybe our obsession with Coronavirus is a bit OTT.

2 young  people died in a road accident yesterday leaving two children without parents. It got one very small paragraph in the paper.

That's why we maintain road traffic regulations alongside covid ones. 

Weakened Offender
56 minutes ago, jake said:

😂

Just a pity it's the internet .

You're the third utter fantasist who has given their tiny mind a treat with that line on this thread. 

Says it all. 😉

Weakened Offender
58 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

High praise indeed, and a ringing endorsement if ever I've read one.

Keep up the good work, jake. 👍

This one was the second, Jakey lad. 😉

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That's why we maintain road traffic regulations alongside covid ones. 

As edited it is 0.1% not 0.001%. But still the attention to Cornovirus seems to me a little disproportionate. 

Maybe my suggestion of reintroducing the man with the red flag walking in front of motor vehicles is worth a try. If all lives matter.

Edited by Francis Albert

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

This one was the second, Jakey lad. 😉

It was I bag off I was after, mate, I'm shite at beating up folk off the internet.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As edited it is 0.1% not 0.001%. But still the attention to Cornovirus seems to me a little disproportionate. 

Maybe my suggestion of reintroducing the man with the red flag walking in front of motor vehicles is worth a try. If all lives matter.

All down to your view of likely impact and probability of the risks ( Health and political ). 😎

7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

You're the third utter fantasist who has given their tiny mind a treat with that line on this thread. 

Says it all. 😉

Fair enough.

True though.

You give no opinion.

You just jump about like a wee wideo female dug.

I dont really know where you stand on anything.

All you do is be wide.

I do apologise for lowering myself to bite.

But if I'm the 3rd person then it really does say it all.

Other than that it or you means nowt.

And I'm sure I do other folks heads in.

But at least i give an opinion and not just snidey remark .

And you are the one who acts the little wideo constantly.

Woof woof 

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It was I bag off I was after, mate, I'm shite at beating up folk off the internet.

I've had some Barry rides of bitchy birds mate so I get where yer comin fae.

😂

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Most folk who act hard online are, tbf. 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Weakened Offender said:

Most folk who act hard online are, tbf. 

You're obviously hard for me tbf.

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, jake said:

Fair enough.

True though.

You give no opinion.

You just jump about like a wee wideo female dug.

I dont really know where you stand on anything.

All you do is be wide.

I do apologise for lowering myself to bite.

But if I'm the 3rd person then it really does say it all.

Other than that it or you means nowt.

And I'm sure I do other folks heads in.

But at least i give an opinion and not just snidey remark .

And you are the one who acts the little wideo constantly.

Woof woof 

I've read that three times now Jake and I'm no less convinced that you're sniffing they big marker pens that teachers use on whiteboards than I was the first time. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

4 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I've read that three times now Jake and I'm no less convinced that you're sniffing they big marker pens that teachers use on whiteboards than I was the first time. 

Ach another insulting post that means nothing.

Although I was a glue sniffer if that helps.

Pen markers are /were a poor substitute for evo stick.

Some dunt btw.

Regardless of my many weaknesses I still post my views.

You just bitch.

Like a bitch.

And that's your problem not mines.

I've got plenty of my own.

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Hard to ignore, it would seem. 😊

A stiffy that big is hard to ignore, tbf.

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, jake said:

Ach another insulting post that means nothing.

Although I was a glue sniffer if that helps.

Pen markers are /were a poor substitute for evo stick.

Some dunt btw.

Regardless of my many weaknesses I still post my views.

You just bitch.

Like a bitch.

And that's your problem not mines.

I've got plenty of my own.

I'm not sure I would have quoted my previous post as 'another insulting post that means nothing' before acknowledging that you had indeed previously buzzed a 'dunt' of the kind of marker pens I mentioned. 

But maybe that's the wido bitch in me coming out again. 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, jake said:

No maybe about it .

You are riddled with it .

If you say so, Jake. 

I'm sure you manage your previously mentioned 'problems' in a way that ensures they don't affect the lives of those around you. 😊

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

If you say so, Jake. 

I'm sure you manage your previously mentioned 'problems' in a way that ensures they don't affect the lives of those around you. 😊

I'm well aware of myself gadge.

And I've made too many mistakes.

But those I love and those around me have me in their hearts.

And they are in mine.

But aye I've affected them.

We are sound.

Lots of love helps but doesnt excuse.

I like getting wasted .

Always have.

Its great

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, jake said:

I'm well aware of myself gadge.

And I've made too many mistakes.

But those I love and those around me have me in their hearts.

And they are in mine.

But aye I've affected them.

We are sound.

Lots of love helps but doesnt excuse.

I like getting wasted .

Always have.

Its great

Take care, pal. I mean that. 

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Road traffic accidents tend not to be very "catchy".

Did the 2 Coronavirus deaths get any articles about them in the paper? 

I'm not savvy enough to knkw if we should be coming out of the restrictions now or not but I do think that this stage of a pandemic will always lead to people acting out against the system. We have lived with the restriction for half a year and the signs are that it's relatively safe out there now. A similar attitude that many would have had in January and February. 

Nucky Thompson

This thread becomes a hoot every time I go to my bed early.

It's nice to have a laugh on a bleak Monday morning though :yas:

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It certainly lightens the mood on a Monday morning.

22 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Agree with that. 👍

Can't quite get Jake's posts to rhyme though.

Samuel Camazzola
46 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Need the football to start. The 'edge' that usually lingers around the Terrace has meandered over to the Shed. 😄

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Some great posts.

11 hours ago, Glottis said:

See if I've wore a mask for months and it turns out it was pointless- it means that I was trying to do the right thing.

See if you don't wear the mask despite medical experts, disease experts, governments and all sorts of other experts saying it helps - then you're just a bit of a ******.

*Unless of course you are in the really really small percentage of people who genuinely cannot wear one for medical or mental reasons.

How many times has the advice changed? If it turns out that folk have been walking around with a cloth over their face for nothing there will be a lot of understandable anger. I mean I see people of all walks of life every single day wearing masks and think to my self wtf is the point? Wearing below their nose, taking them on and off, wearing them on their wrists, placing them on tables, sharing masks, not washing their hands after touching them.... and so on. 

This for me is ultimately worse than wearing a mask. The above is just spreading their germs further through touch and transmission. You can’t blame the general public as the advice has been shit and they haven’t got the relevant mask training that professionals get. Plus it is inconvenient and uncomfortable to wear a mask. 

Do I think the mask will stop a sneeze or cough.  being as potent? Probably. Do I think it is completely pointless once someone touches said mask and spreads their germs all over the place? Make your own mind up. 

Then there is the whole freedom of choice argument and that nobody should be forced to wear items if they don’t want to. It is a violation of basic human rights imo and something people mocked early on in the year. People have already been seen to berate folk over the world for refusing to wear masks.   

do what you want but do not sit there and tell me I am ***** for actually looking at the mask debate from a logical perspective. I won’t enter anywhere requiring the wearing of a mask. Public transport, shops and other places are following useless advice but that isn’t their fault. I won’t deliberately make anyone uncomfortable or make their jobs any harder. 

AlphonseCapone
13 hours ago, jake said:

Do you know by any chance?

Or are you too cool.

11 hours ago, redjambo said:

The current stats (cumulative deaths per million population) are:

England: 655

Wales: 507

Scotland: 457

Northern Ireland: 298

Hi Jake, I see Red already answered. I am still cool though :cool:

Samuel Camazzola
42 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

How many times has the advice changed? If it turns out that folk have been walking around with a cloth over their face for nothing there will be a lot of understandable anger. I mean I see people of all walks of life every single day wearing masks and think to my self wtf is the point? Wearing below their nose, taking them on and off, wearing them on their wrists, placing them on tables, sharing masks, not washing their hands after touching them.... and so on. 

This for me is ultimately worse than wearing a mask. The above is just spreading their germs further through touch and transmission. You can’t blame the general public as the advice has been shit and they haven’t got the relevant mask training that professionals get. Plus it is inconvenient and uncomfortable to wear a mask. 

Do I think the mask will stop a sneeze or cough.  being as potent? Probably. Do I think it is completely pointless once someone touches said mask and spreads their germs all over the place? Make your own mind up. 

Then there is the whole freedom of choice argument and that nobody should be forced to wear items if they don’t want to. It is a violation of basic human rights imo and something people mocked early on in the year. People have already been seen to berate folk over the world for refusing to wear masks.   

do what you want but do not sit there and tell me I am ***** for actually looking at the mask debate from a logical perspective. I won’t enter anywhere requiring the wearing of a mask. Public transport, shops and other places are following useless advice but that isn’t their fault. I won’t deliberately make anyone uncomfortable or make their jobs any harder. 

giphy.gif&ehk=gBCW2peqzfxWHRTo%2BroWGLrK

12 hours ago, Glottis said:

See if I've wore a mask for months and it turns out it was pointless- it means that I was trying to do the right thing.

See if you don't wear the mask despite medical experts, disease experts, governments and all sorts of other experts saying it helps - then you're just a bit of a ******.

*Unless of course you are in the really really small percentage of people who genuinely cannot wear one for medical or mental reasons.

this

23 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Wore a mask for 15 years in the production of blood products, sometimes this was done

where settle plates were prepared to catch any contamination, this was to prove a sterile practice,

within the area, the mask certainly worked, as said before i will wear one , better on than off. 

Did you make Black Pudding ?

Just been for annual MOT at the Surgery.  Tests all came back good. Pleasing. The waiting room was dead. Before Covid it used to be packed with patients. Made me think of all the germs circulating when it was packed. Think this is how it will carry on, strict appointment times , One person at a time in the waiting room , more phone calls and video calls to the GP instead of previously. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic