Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Captain Canada

This is a really sad read.

"Deaths from the most common type of heart attack rose by nearly 40 per cent during lockdown, a major study has shown.

The research prompted warnings that the Government's "Stay Home" message may have had a "devastating" impact by deterring thousands of patients in medical crisis from seeking help."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/04/heart-attack-lockdown-deaths-40pc-stay-home-advice-may-have/

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Seems a sloppy mistake to make when covering up a global pandemic. 

Obviously an intentional whistle-blowing snippet of information hidden by an infiltrator in the Illuminati organisation running this whole show, I would have thought.

It gives me great comfort to know that there are right-minded guys on the inside trying to sabotage their operations. The truth will prevail!

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I don't know where you got your case rate figures from but, over the pandemic, the infection and death rates per million population are as follows:

Scotland - 3,878 infections, 457 deaths

England - 5,278 infections, 655 deaths

They don't look almost exactly the same to me.

Over the last few days, we have been experiencing roughly the same pro rata infection figures but I would argue that this is due to the clusters we have at the moment and doesn't (and shouldn't) detract from the differing success, on a  per-population basis, that Scotland and England have experienced during the pandemic so far.

I was referring to the fact that over the last week or so for all the talk of different approaches and being more cautious the case rate in Scotland is the same as in England per million of population.  

I disagree that it shouldn’t detract from the overall success  as the whole point of going more slowly was to have a lower case rate post lockdown and that hasn’t happened.  Which means any greater economic damage or additional lockdown implications in Scotland caused by that approach have been unjustified.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Because the equipment refers to "Instruments used in clinical laboratories for In Vitro Diagnosis " and "Colorimetric end tidal CO2 detector", which were used for other purposes than Covid pre-Covid. This equipment has now been given an HS Code 902780 which is described as "COVID-19 Diagnostic Test instruments and apparatus" in relation to Covid-19. This classification didn't exist pre-Covid. It has been created in order to track the movements of equipment in past years which is now being used or useable for Covid-19 analysis or treatment.

I've been trying to find the HS Code for tin foil hats but can't find it.

The bit in bold is your take on it. Nowhere on that website does it verify that is the case. The information reads as Covid 19 testing equipment being purchased internationally in 2018. You would need to find when that HS code was created to give your take credence.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Look on it as similar to everyone donating their railings to the war effort. 

They removed the railings where I grew up, Rosemount Buildings in Fountainbridge, but left a line of about 20 outside one ground floor flat for a guy who had just had his legs amputated.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Certainly is bud, a no brainer as they say, hope you are well pal.

Yep, all good here, H.

How're you doing?

Looks like similar to France and Spain cases are going to really take off in the UK again. Schools, Uni, Colleges just re-opening now as well!

15 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I was referring to the fact that over the last week or so for all the talk of different approaches and being more cautious the case rate in Scotland is the same as in England per million of population.  

I disagree that it shouldn’t detract from the overall success  as the whole point of going more slowly was to have a lower case rate post lockdown and that hasn’t happened.  Which means any greater economic damage or additional lockdown implications in Scotland caused by that approach have been unjustified.  

Given the fact that local clusters have a short-term effect on the figures, I don't think you can take the figures from as short a period as a week and use them to justify your claim.

Until the last week or so, the rate of infection in England has been significantly greater than that in Scotland post-lockdown. It's only right at the moment that we're more or less par.

It's like waiting at the side of the road until three red cars in a row go past and then saying "Look, all the cars on this road are red!".

12 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

The bit in bold is your take on it. Nowhere on that website does it verify that is the case. The information reads as Covid 19 testing equipment being purchased internationally in 2018. You would need to find when that HS code was created to give your take credence.

No. I would have to determine when that HS Code was assigned the new designation, or included in a new designation, in order to do that. The code may well have existed previously but with a previous nomenclature.

But do you know what, if you want to believe that not only was Covid-19 pre-planned but that they were stupid enough to list equipment in 2018 as "Covid-19" at the time then I am sure that no matter what evidence I come up with you would still be in denial, so it is a complete waste of my time doing so.

Enjoy your conspiracy theory.

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Given the fact that local clusters have a short-term effect on the figures, I don't think you can take the figures from as short a period as a week and use them to justify your claim.

Until the last week or so, the rate of infection in England has been significantly greater than that in Scotland post-lockdown. It's only right at the moment that we're more or less par.

It's like waiting at the side of the road until three red cars in a row go past and then saying "Look, all the cars on this road are red!".

I’m not getting into a row with you as I cannot see your logic at all.  If Scotland has been easing cautiously out of lockdown and England has been opening up much faster how can it be right that they are at the same level of cases?

Surely Scotland should have a lower case rate than England otherwise what was the point of the different approach

And I don’t accept your point about local clusters as that is what is being seen in England also so I don’t get how it can be a short term effect for Scotland but not for England.   

Captain Canada
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No. I would have to determine when that HS Code was assigned the new designation, or included in a new designation, in order to do that. The code may well have existed previously but with a previous nomenclature.

But do you know what, if you want to believe that not only was Covid-19 pre-planned but that they were stupid enough to list equipment in 2018 as "Covid-19" at the time then I am sure that no matter what evidence I come up with you would still be in denial, so it is a complete waste of my time doing so.

Enjoy your conspiracy theory.

I generally have never bought into any conspiracy theories.

I don't believe everything I read about the pandemic but there was definitely some element of response planning. It's up to each individual to make of it what they will. I don't know or claim to know the motives behind it. 

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/

5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I’m not getting into a row with you as I cannot see your logic at all.  If Scotland has been easing cautiously out of lockdown and England has been opening up much faster how can it be right that they are at the same level of cases?

Surely Scotland should have a lower case rate than England otherwise what was the point of the different approach

And I don’t accept your point about local clusters as that is what is being seen in England also so I don’t get how it can be a short term effect for Scotland but not for England.   

Ok. let me try it graphically.

The infection rates in Scotland and England:

1992796962_Screenshotat2020-09-0617-02-13.png.7fe80f8611b520dcf24f244f7cc3f5f6.png

Note that our infection rates have been significantly lower than those in England until the last week or so when they evened out due to our clusters. You are only taking a snapshot of the very recent situation to justify your comments on the relative success of the differing approaches in England and Scotland. As I said, it is like that snapshot of the three red cars - it doesn't give the bigger picture.

Of course, if Scotland fails to bring those clusters under control and our infection rates continue to be similar to those in England then you can justifiably say that both Scotland and England have ended up at the same end point despite their differing approaches. But you can't say that at the moment because the convergence is too short-term. Give it a few weeks and then we'll see what the situation is.

Presumably there is a reason we are seeing such a high jump in cases, on a Sunday as well, other than it pointing towards it spreading again? Was there a delay in test results from previous days?

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yep, all good here, H.

How're you doing?

Obviously missing the footie , but im ok, was a lovely sunny weekend so all good.

CavySlaveJambo
33 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Was there a delay in test results from previous days?

That could be it. A lot of School kids are getting tested right now who have colds that also have a fever or a cough.  I know personally of one set of delayed results. 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Ok. let me try it graphically.

The infection rates in Scotland and England:

1992796962_Screenshotat2020-09-0617-02-13.png.7fe80f8611b520dcf24f244f7cc3f5f6.png

Note that our infection rates have been significantly lower than those in England until the last week or so when they evened out due to our clusters. You are only taking a snapshot of the very recent situation to justify your comments on the relative success of the differing approaches in England and Scotland. As I said, it is like that snapshot of the three red cars - it doesn't give the bigger picture.

Of course, if Scotland fails to bring those clusters under control and our infection rates continue to be similar to those in England then you can justifiably say that both Scotland and England have ended up at the same end point despite their differing approaches. But you can't say that at the moment because the convergence is too short-term. Give it a few weeks and then we'll see what the situation is.

As far as I can tell Scotland has had more deaths per head than all other home nations.

That was up until June.

AlphonseCapone
10 minutes ago, jake said:

As far as I can tell Scotland has had more deaths per head than all other home nations.

That was up until June.

So 2/3 months out of date. Cool. 

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

So 2/3 months out of date. Cool. 

I cant find up to date figures but that was the case up until then.

Cool if you like .

Just wondering.

Cool.

3 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Same website, different day...

5th September- Covid tests 'could be picking up dead virus' 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54000629

6th September - Further 2, 988 cases confirmed in UK 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54050342

I think broadcasters have a duty not to mess with people's mental wellbeing. 

The media are ****ing shit. Reporting on hearsay and maybes and maybe nots and 'one scientist said...' and it changes every day. Don't pay attention to any of it anymore. 

Captain Canada
19 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The media are ****ing shit. Reporting on hearsay and maybes and maybe nots and 'one scientist said...' and it changes every day. Don't pay attention to any of it anymore. 

Agreed. I only posted it to highlight how ridiculous the reporting has become from one day to the next from the same source. 

Jambo, Goodbye
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

After 8 months the scientific evidence is still not strong. Lots of mays and mights and coulds. Tests in laboratory conditions do not represent how masks are worn and treated in real life.

As for Japan there are other cultural differences, like not shaking hands and kissing and cuddling people every time you meet them (one small merit of Coronavirus is it may have put an end to this now widely practiced annoying routine). As Clive James once said you can be in the most crowded airport in Japan and no-one will intrude on your personal space, whereas in a virtually empty airport in Australia someone is almost bound to stumble or run into you.

I wear my mask where instructed but like I suspect 99% of users I admit to not following the advice on how they should be worn, treated, handled and washed or disposed of after every use.. The fact that this advice is very rarely publicised by the authorities tends to confirm that the whole mask wearing thing is more for show than anything else.

Considering how cringeworthy the UK, the USA and much of Europe has been in dealing with this whole thing. I'm pretty content that the approach I've experienced in Asia has been head and shoulders above the rest. One small factor out of many is people's willingness to do what they can to not spread their germs if it can be helped. 

We didn't even need a full-on lockdown at any point where I live, and things still turned out okay. I think the UK could have easily avoided how 2020 unfolded, but needed a more, 'I'll do my part' attitude. Goodness knows how this winter will turn out. 

Weakened Offender
58 minutes ago, jake said:

Do you know by any chance?

Or are you too cool.

You really are a little poisonous manchild on here. 

See if I've wore a mask for months and it turns out it was pointless- it means that I was trying to do the right thing.

See if you don't wear the mask despite medical experts, disease experts, governments and all sorts of other experts saying it helps - then you're just a bit of a ******.

*Unless of course you are in the really really small percentage of people who genuinely cannot wear one for medical or mental reasons.

Francis Albert

Had to wait until literally the last few seconds of the BBC report tonight to learn the latest number of deaths which was once the headline news. 2 deaths in the whole of the UK. 

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Had to wait until literally the last few seconds of the BBC report tonight to learn the latest number of deaths which was once the headline news. 2 deaths in the whole of the UK. 

Yep.  I’m not getting my panic on yet.  Has to be expected that the ramping up of daily testing is naturally going to lead to more positive cases being reported.  

26 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

😂

Poisonous?

Aw diddums didnt like being labelled the female dug of jkb.

Tut .

Listen you only give female dug one liners as far as I've read .

So I couldnt give a shiny shit if you think I'm poisonous or man child.

Just a pity it's the internet .

I always liked the saying act like a female dug.....

Governor Tarkin
32 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

High praise indeed, and a ringing endorsement if ever I've read one.

Keep up the good work, jake. 👍

Edited by Governor Tarkin

So does anyone or can anyone update which of the home nations has the worst death rate?

I can only find up to june that Scotland had the worst.

And I'm a fan of the first minister.

But this Scotland v England needs clarified .

Just asking not being poisonous or childish.

Woof woof

3 minutes ago, jake said:

😂

Poisonous?

Aw diddums didnt like being labelled the female dug of jkb.

Tut .

Listen you only give female dug one liners as far as I've read .

So I couldnt give a shiny shit if you think I'm poisonous or man child.

Just a pity it's the internet .

I always liked the saying act like a female dug.....

Good answer, Jake.  👍

Go on yersel’ man!

Just now, jake said:

So does anyone or can anyone update which of the home nations has the worst death rate?

Woof woof

What a manchild!

:wink: 

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

High praise and a ringing endorsement if ever I've read one.

Keep up the good work, jake. 👍

Thanks mate.

Hopefully I dont get fired of the thread.

Or a ban .

2 minutes ago, jake said:

Woof woof

Does it really matter ? 

The virus doesn't care about Borders. 

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Does it really matter ? 

The virus doesn't care about Borders. 

No not really mate

Just some are making it so.

I like the first ministers handling to an extent.

But theres a political slant to some posters on here that I'm challenging.

So no ones rebuffing my claim that Scotland has had more deaths.

It's a valid point I think.

1 hour ago, jake said:

That was up until June.

The current stats (cumulative deaths per million population) are:

England: 655

Wales: 507

Scotland: 457

Northern Ireland: 298

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, jake said:

Woof woof

As I think the Argentian writer Borges said about the Falklands War... two bald men.fighting over a comb. Scotland and England have both done badly compared to most places in Europe and the world.

But as in the old days of the annual Scotland v England games a win against Enlgland matters more to some in Scotland than winning the World Cup.

Edited by Francis Albert

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That is interesting can you link that please.?

Because I can only find reports up to June which indicate Scotland fares worse.

As I think the Argentian writer Borges said about the Falklands War... two bald men.fighting over a comb. Scotland and England have both done badly compared to most places in Europe and the world.

But as in the old days of the annual Scotland v England games a win against Enlgland matters more to some in Scotland than winning the World Cup.

It's natural mate.

As you may or may not know I do want independence.

But for reasons other than let's blame the English.

A fair point. If Scotland were an independent country then it would currently lie 16th in the table of the deaths from Covid-19 per million population. Not a good statistic at all. England would lie 5th.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Also cumalitive?

Does that mean overall or covid?

53 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They're only interested in clicks. I've noticed that the BBC often change the headlines to the same story half way through the day - probably to lull folk into clicking again. Media is driven by one thing only - sensationalism.

this is done on their news broadcasts too.  usually starts with a headline-grabbing snippet that paints the gov as right ***** then as the broadcasts go on through the day more is revealed to balance out the storyand show that they'renot really ***** in the first place. It's turned into a rag, but then again they're not alone in this respect, plenty of other once reputable sources have whored themselves out over the past 10 or so yrs.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic