Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

brunstanejambo
8 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

A lot of prominent scientists think masks could be potentially increasing the risk of spreading the virus because of the issues above. 

As a sceptic about most things that I read in the press and hear from the Government, I'd be interested to read more about this. Do you have some links to the research that these prominent scientists have done?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Montgomery Brewster
10 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Heres the daily case numbers from Worldometers for France, alongside the French government data for daily hospitalisations. 

Notice how they march nearly perfectly through the peak, however in spite of the ridiculous number of new cases being seen, hospitalisations are only just creeping up. 

Surely we should be focusing on why this seems to be the case? Rather than the constant doom and gloom. 

Is it:

- virus weakening

- only young people being infected

- inaccurate testing

?? Answers on a postcard...

60F3A5BB-F087-4433-9564-4A524CE655F6.jpeg

5F43A174-00AB-44F4-9251-01D5B14F72C2.jpeg

You’ve answered your own question I think. 

in March these were the known cases that had been identified . There would have been countless thousands of others who never got tested or didn’t even know they had it. Therefore the hospitalisations appear lower now. 

now thousands of people are being tested or being sent for one through a workplace event / mass testing a workplace. 

This is reason that the hospital and death rate is nowwhere near the same figure as the number of infections then compared to now is a lot less. We understand more about the virus and practice social distancing to a degree which all helps.

However there’s no proof as we will never know how many people actually had the virus at the peak time Earlier in the year . 

its like trying to compare apples and oranges.

9 hours ago, jonesy said:

Just carry on as normal as you can. Ignore some of the more cultish mask adherents and the germophobes (lapsed ones are okay!) and enjoy things. Looks out for folk by not standing too close if possible. It's not hard.

Nanny Sturgeon and her desire to

regulate every moment of our lives can piss off.

Just about covers my view 👍

Apart from the last paragraph of course 😴

Howdy Doody Jambo

I've heard a few people saying Scotland have handled the pandemic much better then England but I didn't realise it was a competition 

Could anyone enlighten me what has been so much better north of the border?

8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Im

hardly a hillbilly lol 😂 

Did you really wash your messages ?

I'm all for taking sensible precautions but that's crazy. 

There is a difference between following guidelines and COB. 

5 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

I've heard a few people saying Scotland have handled the pandemic much better then England but I didn't realise it was a competition 

A lot of the people saying that are folk who live in England. 

I'm just going by what I've seen on TV. 

You're right, it's not a competition but it's worth remembering there are different scenarios requiring different reactions depending which part of the UK is affected. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
21 minutes ago, luckydug said:

A lot of the people saying that are folk who live in England. 

I'm just going by what I've seen on TV. 

You're right, it's not a competition but it's worth remembering there are different scenarios requiring different reactions depending which part of the UK is affected. 

Funny, a couple of people who I spoke to were front down south as well 

As long as some exhaled moisture is captured by whatever mask you are wearing, it's reducing the risk of spreading the infection.

The better mask you have, the better fit is has and the better discipline you show when out and about, the better the reduced risk of viral spread.

Yes, if everybody did everything perfectly then infection rates would plummet much faster.

But people can't be trusted.

But as long as enough people do things more or less right, infection rates will continue to slow down, just not as fast as we'd like.

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Ma Roon said:

Initially both governments made the same mistakes on lockdown timings, PPE, testing, care homes etc.

There was the view that Scotland has done better than England but as time had passed there is little evidence to back this up.

The biggest criticism aimed at Boris Johnson was that he was opening things up too quickly and that cases and associated deaths would rocket.  He was accused of putting the economy before health.   In contrast Nicola Sturgeon was praised for her cautious approach and going more slowly with easing lockdown.  The reality is England hasn’t seen the rise in cases so many predicted while Scotland’s case rate is almost exactly the same as England’s despite the different approach.  Also as time has gone on the focus on the importance of the economy has shifted with people recognising the need to balance both economy and health.  

In fairness Nicola Sturgeon has provided more visible leadership and has in the main provided a clarity of message better than UK government have.  She has done better there.

I would summarise it as Scottish government hasn’t done quite as well as people think and UK government hasn’t done as badly as people think.  

Wore a mask for 15 years in the production of blood products, sometimes this was done

where settle plates were prepared to catch any contamination, this was to prove a sterile practice,

within the area, the mask certainly worked, as said before i will wear one , better on than off. 

16 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Initially both governments made the same mistakes on lockdown timings, PPE, testing, care homes etc.

There was the view that Scotland has done better than England but as time had passed there is little evidence to back this up.

The biggest criticism aimed at Boris Johnson was that he was opening things up too quickly and that cases and associated deaths would rocket.  He was accused of putting the economy before health.   In contrast Nicola Sturgeon was praised for her cautious approach and going more slowly with easing lockdown.  The reality is England hasn’t seen the rise in cases so many predicted while Scotland’s case rate is almost exactly the same as England’s despite the different approach.  Also as time has gone on the focus on the importance of the economy has shifted with people recognising the need to balance both economy and health.  

In fairness Nicola Sturgeon has provided more visible leadership and has in the main provided a clarity of message better than UK government have.  She has done better there.

I would summarise it as Scottish government hasn’t done quite as well as people think and UK government hasn’t done as badly as people think.  

Agree with all of this. 

22 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don't disagree with much of what you say, but without looking too closely at the data, people in England are still dying, not true in Scotland ATM

Scotland had a higher death rate up to june.

Not sure if we still do.

On 04/09/2020 at 18:04, theshed said:

Does anyone know what’s happens if UK figures go above 20?

Only difference is Sturgeon is more coherent than Johnson. In reality the only measure we can use is the number of deaths if we have to compare and we were third worse in Europe the last I saw.

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Only difference is Sturgeon is more coherent than Johnson. In reality the only measure we can use is the number of deaths if we have to compare and we were third worse in Europe the last I saw.

Even comparing deaths across countries isn't a great way to do it, there are too many differences in definitions and standards. Excess deaths is probably as good a comparison you'll get and the UK generally looks horrific on that measure.

We shouldn't be doing comparisons anyway. All crass. We've handled it badly, no matter the measure I'd say. 

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

I was washing my messages for a while. Calmed down now as the virus has reduced. 

AlphonseCapone
12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Even then, you have to take into account the prevelance and variety of underlying health conditions, the general health and age of the populations and of course, the apparent variances in how the data is being collected.

The obsession with daily updates and statistics related to Covid has been, in my view, a kind of macabre form of entertainment for many in the last few months, with numbers being used to score political points and instill both fear and hope into people depending on how they are used.

You've been good at turning this thread political. 

15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Even then, you have to take into account the prevelance and variety of underlying health conditions, the general health and age of the populations and of course, the apparent variances in how the data is being collected.

The obsession with daily updates and statistics related to Covid has been, in my view, a kind of macabre form of entertainment for many in the last few months, with numbers being used to score political points and instill both fear and hope into people depending on how they are used.

The scoring political points has been mainly on social media imo. 

I'm prepared to accept that all the UK leaders have been doing their best. 

It's easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsite. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Very good summary I'd say 

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don't know where you got your case rate figures from but, over the pandemic, the infection and death rates per million population are as follows:

Scotland - 3,878 infections, 457 deaths

England - 5,278 infections, 655 deaths

They don't look almost exactly the same to me.

Over the last few days, we have been experiencing roughly the same pro rata infection figures but I would argue that this is due to the clusters we have at the moment and doesn't (and shouldn't) detract from the differing success, on a  per-population basis, that Scotland and England have experienced during the pandemic so far.

Edited by redjambo

Captain Canada

6 hours ago, brunstanejambo said:

As a sceptic about most things that I read in the press and hear from the Government, I'd be interested to read more about this. Do you have some links to the research that these prominent scientists have done?

Here are a couple on cloth masks. I've read a few more but don't have them all bookmarked or anything. 

https://blog.gotopac.com/2020/06/26/do-cloth-face-masks-work-why-is-a-3-ply-procedural-mask-more-effective/

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-with-politics/

4 hours ago, luckydug said:

Yeah i did at the height of it. :) Much more chilled now though. Whats COB?  

3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Great posting. 

Twitter :EhOT4Y0WsAIeJep.thumb.jpeg.b4939f2c1f6634e87bf2704db21ac4cb.jpeg

Replying to
See graph below on Scottish hospital admissions from Covid-19. Further evidence that Professor prediction were correct. The virus peaked in April & has burnt out like a seasonal virus would always do. There is no second wave.

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Twitter :EhOT4Y0WsAIeJep.thumb.jpeg.b4939f2c1f6634e87bf2704db21ac4cb.jpeg

Replying to
See graph below on Scottish hospital admissions from Covid-19. Further evidence that Professor prediction were correct. The virus peaked in April & has burnt out like a seasonal virus would always do. There is no second wave.

Looks like conclusion shopping to me.

That Covid 19 was at least a known entity in 2018 ,and not a thing that appeared out of nowhere in China at the start of 2020 because someone ate a bat as reported on mainstream media.

11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Looks like conclusion shopping to me.

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

More conclusion shopping with added paranoia.

Ok 💤

Just now, heartstastic said:

That Covid 19 was at least a known entity in 2018 ,and not a thing that appeared out of nowhere in China at the start of 2020 because someone ate a bat as reported on mainstream media.

:lol:

Fair dos. 

8 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

:D

And yet there will be some who actually believe that.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D

And yet there will be some who actually believe that.

I know. It looks like the person who posted the link actually believes it :D

Francis Albert
On 01/09/2020 at 00:44, Jambo, Goodbye said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-masks.html

"During the current pandemic, scientists have found a correlation between high levels of mask-wearing — whether as a matter of culture or policy — and success in containing the virus.

“I think there is definitely evidence coming out of Covid that Japan, as well as other countries which practice mask-wearing, tend to do much better in flattening the curve,” said Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology at Yale.

The scientific evidence on whether a mask protects the wearer from infection is mixed. But experiments show that masks can be effective in blocking the emission of respiratory droplets that may contain the virus, even when someone has no symptoms of illness. And there is some evidence that infected people with no symptoms can still transmit the coronavirus."

I said this weeks, if not a couple of months ago. Just wear the damn mask 🙄

After 8 months the scientific evidence is still not strong. Lots of mays and mights and coulds. Tests in laboratory conditions do not represent how masks are worn and treated in real life.

As for Japan there are other cultural differences, like not shaking hands and kissing and cuddling people every time you meet them (one small merit of Coronavirus is it may have put an end to this now widely practiced annoying routine). As Clive James once said you can be in the most crowded airport in Japan and no-one will intrude on your personal space, whereas in a virtually empty airport in Australia someone is almost bound to stumble or run into you.

I wear my mask where instructed but like I suspect 99% of users I admit to not following the advice on how they should be worn, treated, handled and washed or disposed of after every use.. The fact that this advice is very rarely publicised by the authorities tends to confirm that the whole mask wearing thing is more for show than anything else.

Edited by Francis Albert

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I know. It looks like the person who posted the link actually believes it :D

Don't hold any beliefs ,there pretty dangerous..this world runs on them for the most part. As for the link, make your own mind up.

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

After 8 months the scientific evidence is still not strong. Lots of mays and mights and coulds. Tests in laboratory conditions do not represent how masks are worn and treated in real life.

As for Japan there are other cultural differences, like not shaking hands and kissing and cuddling people every time you meet them (one small merit of Coronavirus is it may have put an end to this now widely practiced annoying routine). As Clive James once said you can be in the most crowded airport in Japan and no-one will intrude on your personal space, whereas in a virtually empty airport in Australia someone is almost bound to stumble or run into you.

I wear my mask where instructed but like I suspect 99% of users I admit to not following the advice on how they should be worn, treated, handled and washed or disposed of after every use.. The fact that this advice is very rarely publicised by the authorities tends to confirm that the whole mask wearing thing is more for show than anything else.

Look on it as similar to everyone donating their railings to the war effort. 

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Wore a mask for 15 years in the production of blood products, sometimes this was done

where settle plates were prepared to catch any contamination, this was to prove a sterile practice,

within the area, the mask certainly worked, as said before i will wear one , better on than off.

To me, Harry, that’s the key.  👍

39 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

🥴

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Look on it as similar to everyone donating their railings to the war effort. 

A good analogy! I don't think there is evidence that it added one Spitfire or tank to the war effort but showed we were all in it together (sort of!)

Edited by Francis Albert

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

🥴

Cracking reply there....https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/first-covid-19-case-happened-in-november-china-government-records-show-report

17 November 2019 is said to be when first case happened. The link i provided showed Covid 19 testing equipment being purchased in 2018. How can something be tested for that is not yet known to exist?

Seems a reasonable question to ask.

14 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Cracking reply there....https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/first-covid-19-case-happened-in-november-china-government-records-show-report

17 November 2019 is said to be when first case happened. The link i provided showed Covid 19 testing equipment being purchased in 2018. How can something be tested for that is not yet known to exist?

It clearly can’t. 😄

30 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Because the equipment refers to "Instruments used in clinical laboratories for In Vitro Diagnosis " and "Colorimetric end tidal CO2 detector", which were used for other purposes than Covid pre-Covid. This equipment has been given an HS Code 902780 which is now described as "COVID-19 Diagnostic Test instruments and apparatus" in relation to Covid-19. This named classification didn't exist pre-Covid. It has been created in order to track the movements of equipment in past years which is now being used or useable for Covid-19 analysis or treatment.

I've been trying to find the HS Code for tin foil hats but can't find it.

Edited by redjambo

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic