Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Illegal covid rave in a disused bunker in Oslo hospitalises 25 with carbon monoxide poisoning.

:vrface:

But did any test positive for Covid19?

If not maybe carbon monoxide is an effective suppressant of the virus.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I have been in more than a dozen pubs since they reopened. Not one  bore any resemblance whatsoever to what you describe. The main thing about most of  them was that they were largely empty and seem unlikely to survive for very long. More staff than customers is common.

My experience too. 

Jambo 4 Ever
9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I have been in more than a dozen pubs since they reopened. Not one  bore any resemblance whatsoever to what you describe. The main thing about most of  them was that they were largely empty and seem unlikely to survive for very long. More staff than customers is common.

You see photos of people taking selfies etc when at the pubs 

clearly when you have a photo with someone you are often less than 2 Metres apart 

Edited by Natural Orders

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

You see photos of people taking selfies etc when at the pubs 

clearly when you have a photo with someone you are often less than 2 Metres apart 

I haven't seen anyone in a pub taking a selfie. Have you been in a pub recently? Or ever?

("at the pubs" is an unusual usage)

Edited by Francis Albert

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

What other than sacrificing the economy, cancer and other serious health conditions treatments, peoples mental health causing a large increase in suicides for a flu that 99.99 survive its extremely well balanced! 

Well

said 

Nucky Thompson
21 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I haven't seen anyone in a pub taking a selfie. Have you been in a pub recently? Or ever?

("at the pubs" is an unusual usage)

He's probably still go a couple of years to go before being legal to drink

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Totally agree with you.

As far as I can see there are no conspiracy theorists posting on this thread.

It’s the classic attack on those who have different views , undermine them , question their intelligence , label them as loonies etc . Trump does that a lot with his fake news mantra 

Captain Sausage

I was completely in favour of the original lockdown and, like a majority of the public, was supportive of the initial government actions (if a little late) and the furlough. 

However, we know so much more about Covid than we did back in the ‘equal opportunity killer’ days of March. 

It’s evident that this thing goes after the old and the vulnerable. The majority of the public are not at risk of death. The backlog of the health services, the impact on mental health, the impact on the economy and the wellbeing of children are now being pushed down the pecking order of importance for something that clearly is not the SARS or MERS type killer (fatality rate wise) that was initially feared. 

It is madness that we are not implementing a strategy where the old and vulnerable are offered the support (financial and social) to shield while the rest of the population is released to normality. We are heading down a path of economic destruction and significant harm to school years kids to protect a minority of the population. 

I think the next couple of weeks in France and Spain are very important. A stabilisation of hospital admissions in spite of rapidly rising case numbers would indicate either (or both):

- mainly young infected and they pass on effect to elder family members is not as bad as feared

- a more virulent, less deadly version is in place now

We need strong leadership to say ‘look, we made the best decision with the information available at the time, but now is the point at which things go back to normal’. Sadly, the shower or cowardly bellends in charge won’t even risk removing the triple lock. So they’ll carry on down the path of ‘the science’ until we’ve ****ed everything. 

Nucky Thompson

34,000 positive cases and 371 deaths in the US yesterday. That's a good bit lower than what they've been getting recently.

There's also a study saying that the PCR tests are too sensitive in the US. 

90% of people testing positive in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada in July carried barley any traces of the virus

PCR tests analyze genetic matter from the virus in cycles and today's tests typically take 37 or 40 cycles.

Experts say this is too high because it deems a person positive even if they have small traces of the virus that are old and no longer contagious.

They suggest lowering the numbers of cycles, which would hone in on people with a higher viral load and who are more contagious

Brighton Jambo
13 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I was completely in favour of the original lockdown and, like a majority of the public, was supportive of the initial government actions (if a little late) and the furlough. 

However, we know so much more about Covid than we did back in the ‘equal opportunity killer’ days of March. 

It’s evident that this thing goes after the old and the vulnerable. The majority of the public are not at risk of death. The backlog of the health services, the impact on mental health, the impact on the economy and the wellbeing of children are now being pushed down the pecking order of importance for something that clearly is not the SARS or MERS type killer (fatality rate wise) that was initially feared. 

It is madness that we are not implementing a strategy where the old and vulnerable are offered the support (financial and social) to shield while the rest of the population is released to normality. We are heading down a path of economic destruction and significant harm to school years kids to protect a minority of the population. 

I think the next couple of weeks in France and Spain are very important. A stabilisation of hospital admissions in spite of rapidly rising case numbers would indicate either (or both):

- mainly young infected and they pass on effect to elder family members is not as bad as feared

We need strong leadership to say ‘look, we made the best decision with the information available at the time, but now is the point at which things go back to normal’. Sadly, the shower or cowardly bellends in charge won’t even risk removing the triple lock. So they’ll carry on down the path of ‘the science’ until we’ve ****ed everything. 

Very well said.  I think that last point is wide of the mark though.  All the way through the UK government have been pushing to open things up quicker than most people thought was sensible.  They have been hammered for it, not least on here, and actually hospitalisations and deaths haven’t increased despite what all the internet experts proclaimed so loudly.  I think UK government actually deserve more credit for trying to balance economy and health than they have had and if anything the Scottish government deserve more criticism than they have had for seemingly ignoring the economic risks to a large degree.  

I do agree that removing the triple lock should be a given and if they don’t they deserve a lot of criticism but I’m not sure that relates to their approach to Covid generally.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Back to 2005
1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

Serves the idiots right 

5 of them have been hospitalised with something that can potentially kill.

What a horrible comment to make. 

AlphonseCapone
21 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Good and fair post. 

Jambo 4 Ever
24 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

If they listened to the rules it wouldn’t have happened in the first place 

Back to 2005
25 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Ah well if they do die they can put it down as a covid death. 

Nucky Thompson
25 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

And you'll make sure everyone sticks to the rules or else.

Do you spy on your neighbours and report them to Nicola's Scottish Stasi 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

I know vile comment and he never stops preaching about Covid deaths...

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Great post

Every one of the 400 or so still refusing to leave that rave at Banwen should be arrested, charged and given a criminal record

They have no excuse and put others at risk

Francis Albert

More people died in one road "accident" in Scotland on Saturday than died with Covid19  in the whole of the UK yesterday. But just watched 20 minutes of national UK  "news" about Covid19.

Insane.

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Every one of the 400 or so still refusing to leave that rave at Banwen should be arrested, charged and given a criminal record

They have no excuse and put others at risk

I can think of few things I would rather do less than attend a rave. But if I did my excuse would be that I have virtually zero chance of being ill myself and less chance of killing or seriously harming  anyone  than by getting behind the wheel of my car.

coconut doug
3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Very well said.  I think that last point is wide of the mark though.  All the way through the UK government have been pushing to open things up quicker than most people thought was sensible.  They have been hammered for it, not least on here, and actually hospitalisations and deaths haven’t increased despite what all the internet experts proclaimed so loudly.  I think UK government actually deserve more credit for trying to balance economy and health than they have had and if anything the Scottish government deserve more criticism than they have had for seemingly ignoring the economic risks to a large degree.  

I do agree that removing the triple lock should be a given and if they don’t they deserve a lot of criticism but I’m not sure that relates to their approach to Covid generally.  

Deaths have risen every day according to the figures i see.

You think the UK gov deserves more credit and the Scottish gov less. This despite Scotgov reducing the death rate to an extent that we have only had a couple of deaths in over six weeks while in England there have been hundreds of deaths over the same period.

The Scottish gov have been ignoring the economic risks, have they? The UK gov must have done something different then and i've missed this too. Maybe you could tell us what it is. As i understand things the Scottish gov have provided financial assistance to both businesses and individuals over and above that provided by the UK gov. 

Nice to see you openly supporting the Tories again and having a go at the Scot gov based on absolutely nothing, as usual.

43 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

More people died in one road "accident" in Scotland on Saturday than died with Covid19  in the whole of the UK yesterday. But just watched 20 minutes of national UK  "news" about Covid19.

Insane.

It is crazy. The news should be dominated by the fact that despite the opening up, many weeks ago, of shops, pubs, restaurants,  cafes, foreign travel etc, the localised outbreaks have not resulted in any increase in hospital admissions.  There are less Covid patients in hospital now than there were when lockdown was eased.  Rates in England are even lower.

Why , instead of that being highlighted on the BBC news, do we still hear garbage about second waves and yet more scaremongering fiction from "scientific" modellers??

Captain Canada
10 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

“As this initiative happens in a controlled classroom environment, there is no need to explain everything to the youths and children again. They will do that in school, and that is also where they control it,” he said.

🙄

coconut doug
45 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It is crazy. The news should be dominated by the fact that despite the opening up, many weeks ago, of shops, pubs, restaurants,  cafes, foreign travel etc, the localised outbreaks have not resulted in any increase in hospital admissions.  There are less Covid patients in hospital now than there were when lockdown was eased.  Rates in England are even lower.

Why , instead of that being highlighted on the BBC news, do we still hear garbage about second waves and yet more scaremongering fiction from "scientific" modellers??

Why?  Don't you realise how much money has been invested in finding a cure for this disease? We can't have Covid disappearing of its own accord. We will have to make sure people are vaccinated just in case a second wave appears even though the vaccine will be useless anyway. 

Jambo, Goodbye

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-masks.html

"During the current pandemic, scientists have found a correlation between high levels of mask-wearing — whether as a matter of culture or policy — and success in containing the virus.

“I think there is definitely evidence coming out of Covid that Japan, as well as other countries which practice mask-wearing, tend to do much better in flattening the curve,” said Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology at Yale.

The scientific evidence on whether a mask protects the wearer from infection is mixed. But experiments show that masks can be effective in blocking the emission of respiratory droplets that may contain the virus, even when someone has no symptoms of illness. And there is some evidence that infected people with no symptoms can still transmit the coronavirus."

I said this weeks, if not a couple of months ago. Just wear the damn mask 🙄

On 17/08/2020 at 18:02, jake said:

I did enjoy it.

Love eating out and having a few.

And the good thing about getting older is learning to do that in the right company.

It's so beneficial .

And I can always harmlessly have a wee episode on here.

😁

Stick in Guv

👍 You and GT. It's easy when we try. Aimless moaning just gets us nowhere, Fast! 

13 hours ago, tian447 said:

Not breathing in clear air? Bad air cannot escape?

:vrwow:

You read some absolute pish on the internet, but this is up there with the worst.

If the good air can't get in, how does the bad air get in!? 🤔 

Yes, I'm not being serious. But the boy you quoted is. 

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Why?  Don't you realise how much money has been invested in finding a cure for this disease? We can't have Covid disappearing of its own accord. We will have to make sure people are vaccinated just in case a second wave appears even though the vaccine will be useless anyway. 

Yes, you've probably hit the nail on the head. There are certainly vested interests who have to continue the scaremongering.  

Captain Sausage
6 hours ago, coconut doug said:

This is crucial information that the worlds leading virologists and epidemiologists must be informed of urgently. 

Please advise and provide relevant qualifications to back up your statement of fact. 

6 hours ago, jonesy said:

For the same reason the Brexit stuff was on for months beforehand. It garnered clicks and views. It's an easy win for all forms of media. Meanwhile, the real world goes on.

Yes, the last 2 years have been dominated by single issue stories which have consumed politicians. Which, of course, helps to mask their failings in the main areas of their work.

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I can think of few things I would rather do less than attend a rave. But if I did my excuse would be that I have virtually zero chance of being ill myself and less chance of killing or seriously harming  anyone  than by getting behind the wheel of my car.

You don't half talk shite! 

7 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-masks.html

"During the current pandemic, scientists have found a correlation between high levels of mask-wearing — whether as a matter of culture or policy — and success in containing the virus.

“I think there is definitely evidence coming out of Covid that Japan, as well as other countries which practice mask-wearing, tend to do much better in flattening the curve,” said Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology at Yale.

The scientific evidence on whether a mask protects the wearer from infection is mixed. But experiments show that masks can be effective in blocking the emission of respiratory droplets that may contain the virus, even when someone has no symptoms of illness. And there is some evidence that infected people with no symptoms can still transmit the coronavirus."

I said this weeks, if not a couple of months ago. Just wear the damn mask 🙄

This 

it really is simple

Dennis Reynolds
13 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

34,000 positive cases and 371 deaths in the US yesterday. That's a good bit lower than what they've been getting recently.

There's also a study saying that the PCR tests are too sensitive in the US. 

90% of people testing positive in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada in July carried barley any traces of the virus

PCR tests analyze genetic matter from the virus in cycles and today's tests typically take 37 or 40 cycles.

Experts say this is too high because it deems a person positive even if they have small traces of the virus that are old and no longer contagious.

They suggest lowering the numbers of cycles, which would hone in on people with a higher viral load and who are more contagious

37-40 cycles is pretty standard tbh. It smacks a little of moving the goalposts. 

The PCR test isn't particularly useful in telling you about viral load, rather just a rudimentary positive/negative. Realistically, we're not in a position to know what levels are required to become 'infectious'. So much time and money was spent just getting the standard test up an running that we're a bit behind with other, clearer diagnostic tests and in depth trials to know more about the virus. Although that's now catching up.

Testing strategy is obviously always moving but I do think we now are in a position to start diversifying and doing much more in depth analysis. As always though governments will look at the cheaper option which is where we currently are. Albeit it's not exactly cheap.

3 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

This is crucial information that the worlds leading virologists and epidemiologists must be informed of urgently. 

Please advise and provide relevant qualifications to back up your statement of fact. 

The world's leading epidemiologists and virologists are not speaking with one voice. Highly qualified individuals can be found all along the spectrum of opinion on how best to deal with Covid. Unlike many of these people i don't have a vested interest other than staying alive.

Enzo has been telling us for a while that there is no second wave but many scientists with allegedly world class qualifications tell us that there is. I agree with Enzo and think the scientists (some at least) have a vested interest in there being a second wave. Many are tied to pharmaceutical companies that want a slice of the action that Covid brings i.e. research grants. Many are enjoying the attention and want to keep it for as long as possible. There isn't any scientific evidence in this country at least to support the notion of a second wave at the moment yet many scientists continue to tout it. If they believe it exists then it is up to them to prove it. They are unable to do so and so IMO they are scaremongering. I am not saying there could not be a second wave just that it isn't here now and that there are no signs that it is coming. You might know differently though. 

I don't know which statement of fact you are taking exception to but if you clarify i will try to justify my point as best i can.  

A good article on the current situation in Spain:

‘Here We Go Again’: A Second Virus Wave Grips Spain

"MÁLAGA, Spain — At midday on Sunday, there were 31 patients inside the main coronavirus treatment center in Málaga, the city with the fastest-rising infection rate in southern Spain. At 12:15 p.m., the 32nd arrived in an ambulance. Half an hour later came number 33."

"But in general, doctors say that Spain is in a far stronger position to fight the virus than it was in March.

National coordination is improving — the central government last week agreed to a deal to deploy 2,000 soldiers as contact tracers. Testing speeds are accelerating — in Málaga, the biggest hospital can process tests within a single morning, thanks to the recent purchase of a series of robots. Across the road, a makeshift hospital built in a rush in April stands empty, ready for a rise in cases."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/31/world/europe/coronavirus-covid-spain-second-wave.html

20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

A good article on the current situation in Spain:

‘Here We Go Again’: A Second Virus Wave Grips Spain

"MÁLAGA, Spain — At midday on Sunday, there were 31 patients inside the main coronavirus treatment center in Málaga, the city with the fastest-rising infection rate in southern Spain. At 12:15 p.m., the 32nd arrived in an ambulance. Half an hour later came number 33."

"But in general, doctors say that Spain is in a far stronger position to fight the virus than it was in March.

National coordination is improving — the central government last week agreed to a deal to deploy 2,000 soldiers as contact tracers. Testing speeds are accelerating — in Málaga, the biggest hospital can process tests within a single morning, thanks to the recent purchase of a series of robots. Across the road, a makeshift hospital built in a rush in April stands empty, ready for a rise in cases."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/31/world/europe/coronavirus-covid-spain-second-wave.html

Second wave is in the Headline but none of the experts describe it as such. One explaining the increase in cases as a result of Spain having had the strictest of lockdowns and the current surge being a reaction to that. We are still on the first wave, the virus is exactly the same as it always was and it never went away.

Francis Albert

A small diversion from the serious stuff. The Government department responsible for Dartford River crossings has emailed to say my Dart Card has been inactive for a year and will be cancelled if I don't either top it up or make a crossing. They presumably missed lockdown and the Government's advice for nearly half the year not to travel unless essential. Checking on line I have enough credit for 7 crossings. Good to know the Government is on top of at least one thing and already finding ways to increase revenue.

Selkirk_Jambo

A woman here in Germany got her jotters from her nursing home job for calling in sick, going to the big anti mask demo in Berlin and then posting photos of herself there all over Facebook. Not only that, she refused a Corona test after they found out she'd been there. 

Received a letter the next day saying she's done.

What a dafty :D

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic