Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

It really is disgraceful. Unfortunately the deaths that occur from unchecked cancers etc will be spread out over the next couple of years. The spike in excess deaths will not be as dramatic as April/May 2020 and as such it probably won’t get much media attention, or political comment. 

We have created a situation whereby CV is the be all and end all of life in the UK now. Any CV death is seen as a cause for panic (although now deaths are drying up, we have moved onto any case of CV being a cause for panic). CV isn’t going to go away anytime soon, so I am not sure how we dig ourselves out of this hole. 

Yes it’s a “ casedemic” now 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert

We don't hear so much now about how Scotland and New Zealand are leading the world with their "zero Covid" policy. It was and is a totally unrealistic objective. Covid will probably always be with us, even if and when a vaccine is developed. All the signs are it is heading in the direction of flu where even with a vaccine there are sporadic local and national outbreaks, thousands of deaths every year, tens of thousands in a bad year. No-one has ever suggested lockdown as a solution. Obviously until we are more confident that this will be the case caution is justified but locking down every time there a few hundred cases and accepting the deaths of thousands from non-Covid illnesses as collateral damage in an attempt to eliminate Covid is insane.

Edited by Francis Albert

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We don't hear so much now about how Scotland and New Zealand are leading the world with their "zero Covid" policy. It was and is a totally unrealistic objective. Covid will probably always be with us, even if and when a vaccine is developed. All the signs are it is heading in the direction of flu where even with a vaccine there are sporadic local and national outbreaks, thousands of deaths every year, tens of thousands in a bad year. No-one has ever suggested lockdown as a solution. Obviously until we are more confident that this will be the case caution is justified but locking down every time there a few hundred cases and accepting the deaths of thousands from non-Covid illnesses as collateral damage in an attempt to eliminate Covid is insane.

Well said 

41 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

All very well but you would need to be careful not to confuse elimination with eradication.

Eradication is a policy to permanently rid a population or all populations of a virus / disease,  with virtually zero possibility of it ever returning.    Elimination is a policy to drive down an epidemic's prevalence / incidence to zero,  in order to remove most of the public health restrictions in place while replacing them with targeted systems such as test & trace and international travel restrictions and quarantine policies,  in order to prevent further epidemics.

Eradication of covid is virtually impossible,  at least for quite a few years or until it can be proved to have retreated.   Elimination is a perfectly valid policy as a shorter term plan to reduce risks and protect the economy until further medical advances and vaccines come forward.

Edited by Victorian

I’m sure I will get shot down here by the SNP guys but what is the point in the press conference every day? 

As we all know this ain’t going away anytime soon so are we going to get this every day for good? 

4 minutes ago, theshed said:

I’m sure I will get shot down here by the SNP guys but what is the point in the press conference every day? 

As we all know this ain’t going away anytime soon so are we going to get this every day for good? 

It's a valid point.   At the same time,  the briefing still provides some important updates on ongoing matters such as the Grampian cluster,  schools,  etc.     There's still enough to update on to keep it going,  but it could become less worthwhile.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's a valid point.   At the same time,  the briefing still provides some important updates on ongoing matters such as the Grampian cluster,  schools,  etc.     There's still enough to update on to keep it going,  but it could become less worthwhile.

I feel the information could be released as a press release that the news programmes would run and only if something significant happens run a press conference. Or cut it down to one a week

8 minutes ago, theshed said:

If she stops it gives the impression that there is no longer a threat and there's a risk that many more folk will get complacent. 

26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

All very well but you would need to be careful not to confuse elimination with eradication.

Eradication is a policy to permanently rid a population or all populations of a virus / disease,  with virtually zero possibility of it ever returning.    Elimination is a policy to drive down an epidemic's prevalence / incidence to zero,  in order to remove most of the public health restrictions in place while replacing them with targeted systems such as test & trace and international travel restrictions and quarantine policies,  in order to prevent further epidemics.

Eradication of covid is virtually impossible,  at least for quite a few years or until it can be proved to have retreated.   Elimination is a perfectly valid policy as a shorter term plan to reduce risks and protect the economy until further medical advances and vaccines come forward.

:spoton:

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

If she stops it gives the impression that there is no longer a threat and there's a risk that many more folk will get complacent. 

I think more people would listen though if it wasn't on every day and there would be less of an anti SNP I'll do as I please defiance emerging. 

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, pablo said:

I'm just finishing up my first weekend away with the family and it's the first time I've left my local area since lockdown. Been eating out and drinking Friday, Saturday and Sunday as well as walking along sometimes narrow and busy paths.

Been really impressed with people by and large in regards social distancing. There's no reason why responsible businesses and customers can't continue to work together and stay open. 

Feeling much more relaxed and upbeat about things now.

where were you?

I think its important to keep the daily briefings going. I stopped watching for a while but the other day I switched on and got some helpful tips from a Medical professional on how to wear a face mask.

Today there was some stand up comedy when First Citizen Sturgeon said that she had never attempted to Politicise the Virus and that it really annoyed her when other people did this. There was also a clear message that the first minister relied on information from someone who wasn't Scottish born when formulating her response to the Pandemic. That was comforting to know if somewhat surprising.

51 minutes ago, theshed said:

1. To keep the " fear" going.

2. To save face as the virus is rapidly disappearing.  

3. To increase the SNP agenda on TV

It needs to be at most once per week as there really is nothing much worth reporting.  It was helpful during the months of March and April but since then its mainly been a platform for the SNP.  

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

1. To keep the " fear" going.

2. To save face as the virus is rapidly disappearing.  

3. To increase the SNP agenda on TV

It needs to be at most once per week as there really is nothing much worth reporting.  It was helpful during the months of March and April but since then its mainly been a platform for the SNP.  

don't watch it then - simple

I happen to think it is very helpful

5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I think its important to keep the daily briefings going. I stopped watching for a while but the other day I switched on and got some helpful tips from a Medical professional on how to wear a face mask.

Today there was some stand up comedy when First Citizen Sturgeon said that she had never attempted to Politicise the Virus and that it really annoyed her when other people did this. There was also a clear message that the first minister relied on information from someone who wasn't Scottish born when formulating her response to the Pandemic. That was comforting to know if somewhat surprising.

Not got a clue what your last couple of sentences are saying. Do you have to have been born in Scotland to know what you're talking about?? Or are you yet another 'SNP hate the English' crackpot

Weakened Offender
15 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Presumably you will have a higher risk of coronavirus the more people you encounter. Chances of getting the covid 19 strain are negligible if it's even out there at all.

Just giving you a wee bit of the attention you are desperately craving. 😁

For anyone who missed the daily briefing.

Scottish numbers: 17 August 2020

• 26 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.7% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends).
  • 3 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 248 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 10,204 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Just giving you a wee bit of the attention you are desperately craving. 😁

:lol:

47 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've just had a great idea for anyone who has a problem with the daily briefings.

Don't fecking watch it.

I think you may be missing their point.

People are not annoyed at the Daily Briefing cause they have to watch it. They are annoyed cause they feel the First Minister is spending an inordinate amount of time doing it. 

Maybe there could be other issues she should be dealing with other than prepping for then providing a Daily Party Political Broadcast. 

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

For anyone who missed the daily briefing.

Scottish numbers: 17 August 2020

• 26 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.7% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends).
  • 3 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 248 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 10,204 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

So basically 26 people tested positive out of 10,204 ?

3 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

People are not annoyed at the Daily Briefing cause they have to watch it. They are annoyed cause they feel the First Minister is spending an inordinate amount of time doing it. 

Maybe there could be other issues she should be dealing with other than prepping for then providing a Daily Party Political Broadcast. 

None more important than nipping yoon heids and pushing us towards independence.

2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Nonsense, anybody who doesn't watch it but moans that it's on is doing so purely because they disagree with her politics.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

None more important than nipping yoon heids and pushing us towards independence.

You know that’s not true. 

4 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

So basically 26 people tested positive out of 10,204 ?

No.

It's around 3,750 new tests that had 26 new cases.

Edited by graygo

Just now, graygo said:

Nonsense, anybody who doesn't watch it but moans that it's on is doing so purely because they disagree with her politics.

Haha, in your head that could be true, mate. 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, graygo said:

I've just had a great idea for anyone who has a problem with the daily briefings.

Don't fecking watch it.

It's a choice between loose women on ITV or the loose woman on BBC

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

No.

So why do they say 10,024 new tests for covid that report a result?

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, graygo said:

No.

Still very low isn’t it ? 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yes that’s what I don’t understand ? 

Weakened Offender
22 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Wibble. 

9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Some people are tested more than once. You might be in hospital with the virus and tested every day. 

"26 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.7% of newly tested individuals."

Edited by graygo

4 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Debenhams were already struggling and closing some shops, but I think the CV situation has pushed them over the past edge. 

Either way my point was it’s another 14,000 people competing for jobs in a retail sector that has been severely hit by CV. 

I know bud, but M Ashley needs a punch the mooth for some of his shite. 

30 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Not missing any point. If it was Boris they'd be sitting in the buff eating cauld beans fae the tin, and rubbing the spillage in while playing with themselves. But it's NS, so they're raging instead of having a rager. 

Anyway, she should go on holiday, that would send them over the edge. 

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

I don’t watch it and to be honest I don’t care if she does this every day for rest of her life but still don’t see the point in it at the moment 

Regards her politics I agree with her on some things but not on others 

Even for her own sake you’d think she’d have a rest and have a wee holiday 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not missing any point. If it was Boris they'd be sitting in the buff eating cauld beans fae the tin, and rubbing the spillage in while playing with themselves. But it's NS, so they're raging instead of having a rager. 

Anyway, she should go on holiday, that would send them over the edge. 

:greatpost:

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, theshed said:

I don’t watch it and to be honest I don’t care if she does this every day for rest of her life but still don’t see the point in it at the moment 

Regards her politics I agree with her on some things but not on others 

Even for her own sake you’d think she’d have a rest and have a wee holiday 

That’s where i am tbh mate. 
She needs to back up a bit imo. 

Francis Albert

Only see the odd snippet of Nicola in action down here. Has she mentioned often  the collateral damage resulting from the response to lockdown? The NHS backlogs for example that are now actually killing people as opposed to the virus which isn't?

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Only see the odd snippet of Nicola in action down here. Has she mentioned often  the collateral damage resulting from the response to lockdown? The NHS backlogs for example that are now actually killing people as opposed to the virus which isn't?

Not as often as you have.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Not sure I see much distinction on your definitions between eradication and elimination TBH. I do know that neither is at present achievable. 

Francis Albert
Just now, graygo said:

Not as often as you have.

Come on it has barely been mentioned in the media and I have posted about it maybe half a dozen times. Why does drawing attention to it seem to upset you? Do only lives taken by Coronavirus matter?

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Come on it has barely been mentioned in the media and I have posted about it maybe half a dozen times. Why does drawing attention to it seem to upset you? Do only lives taken by Coronavirus matter?

You asked if she had mentioned it often, you claim to have mentioned it half a dozen times on this thread so I pointed out that she has mentioned it less than you have.

The bit in bold isn't worthy of a response.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No backlog here in the South East, I include London. Working in 2 Hospitals this morning, everything back to normal and I'd to congratulate the government for doing a fantastic job..........and paying my invoices in double quick time. Superb.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic