Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Good lord one person has contracted the disease and people want Edinburgh shut down?

Fecking mental eh :lol:

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo 4 Ever
23 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Exactly how it started up here.

Edinburgh will be in lockdown by the weekend. 

Think you will be right 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

No he didn’t 

I've ordered a thousand doses of the Russian vaccine from Amazon. 

I could post one to Hamilton if the price is right 

They have done the right thing shutting the bar.Deep clean then reopen anything else unless there is a big spike like Aberdeen is just daft.

13 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Fair enough - I was never a pub or restaurant regular so I’ll give it a miss

I'm a bevvy merchant, so biased 🙂

Francis Albert
Just now, Natural Orders said:

One too many mate 

If we are going to organise society so.that not one person died unnecessarily the response wouldn't start with locking down in response to One  corona virus CASE when no-one is dying of the virus.

Let's start for example with the  next flu death. Or the next death on the roads.

Nucky Thompson

There's been a good few cases in Lanarkshire and greater Glasgow area and they haven't been locked down again.

36 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Good lord one person has contracted the disease and people want Edinburgh shut down?

Exactly. There were about 3 and a half people in the bar at the time. Hardly front page news.

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Not suggesting. Stating as a fact based on personal experience. Telephone and video only ... unless you make a fuss and threaten to go to A&E ... and this was not a trivial complaint. Of course many particularly elferly people don''t have a smart phone or the savvy to conduct a video call and do not have the confidence to argue with their surgery/doctor. Not to mention being terrified of catching coronavirus or reluctance to fail to "protect the NHS"

And of course routine practice such blood pressure or lung capacity or blood tests can't be done over the phone.

I've seen my doctor but I guess some practices are different. Hope your not so trivial complaint is on the mend. 

JudyJudyJudy
57 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Unreal ! 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

True but the NHS was still and is still severely rationing access to non coronavirus patients long after the risk of the NHS being overwhelmed was over. 

Maybe where you live, but I can tell you the BGH has no covid patients at all now and the hospital is pretty much returning back to normal, albeit in stages, but things are getting back to normal here.

The Mighty Thor

I'd imagine Covid-19 is well down the list of potential virus risks for those frequenting shady Leith boozers. 

51 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly. There were about 3 and a half people in the bar at the time. Hardly front page news.

A lot of it is headline news though.The owner has probably shut the bar as per the rules to deep clean and thats all really

Back to 2005
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've ordered a thousand doses of the Russian vaccine from Amazon. 

I could post one to Hamilton if the price is right 

It's not the jambo from Hamilton bloke is it? All makes sense now.....

Back to 2005
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I've seen the holiday footage of resorts with families behaving completely oblivious to the fact we are in a pandemic.  To me its obvious that we can't trust people to follow the guidance so need draconian rules to counter.

Highly unlikely to pass it on outdoors. Or indoors come to that. Approx 10000 to 1. 

31 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

One positive about wearing masks, you can’t tell that half of Edinburgh is missing teeth.

Some should wear them on their heads too.

You wouldn’t be able to tell that they are missing brains.  

I wear a  mask .

But I think it's the biggest load of pish .

I've always worn one in shops out of respect for the folk who work there despite the figures showing shop workers despite being frontline are not disproportionately affected.

And despite me thinking it's a load of shite.

I read an interesting thing yesterday .

There are over 250 000 children go missing every year in the USA.

No shut down no rules to limit the movement of people.

There are 6 to 8 million women and children trafficked for sex currently .

No lockdown no stopping the economy no trace and track.

Now theres a virus no doubt but theres some pish getting brought about on the back of it.

Oh and aussie ye keep saying dont expect nurses to treat you to folk who dont buy into this.

Does that go for your high fat diet or smokers or have you ever been in a square go etc etc etc.

I've been out today .

Had a lovely meal after lord bjays thread in mother indias few sherberts in a few boozers.

Lifes for living and breathing and this shit needs a reality check because the fall out is doing far more damage health wise and economically and for simply living.

And the environmental impact of the waste from cloth that couldntnt stop a fibre from cutting concrete never mind a virus.

Its here we have to live with it not fekin die slowly with it.

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

Highly unlikely to pass it on outdoors. Or indoors come to that. Approx 10000 to 1. 

Are those figures backed up by science?  What about swimming pools, gyms and busy bars?

Back to 2005
8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Are those figures backed up by science?  What about swimming pools, gyms and busy bars?

Presumably you will have a higher risk of coronavirus the more people you encounter. Chances of getting the covid 19 strain are negligible if it's even out there at all.

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

Presumably you will have a higher risk of coronavirus the more people you encounter. Chances of getting the covid 19 strain are negligible if it's even out there at all.

Why make up figures and try to pass them off as facts?

10000 to 1 chance yet almost 200 cases now linked to a few Aberdeen pubs. 

Stop talking utter pish. 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I've seen my doctor but I guess some practices are different. Hope your not so trivial complaint is on the mend. 

Thanks. Clearly practices differ. 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Maybe where you live, but I can tell you the BGH has no covid patients at all now and the hospital is pretty much returning back to normal, albeit in stages, but things are getting back to normal here.

It is about 3 months since the NHS was at risk of being overwhelmed.

If it ever was.

Edited by Francis Albert

Back to 2005
25 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Stop talking utter pish. 

We have a population of 6 million so how is it pish? 

Besides as I keep saying they will not have covid 19 as there is no specific test for it.

Debenhams due to call in liquidators. 14,000 jobs at risk; the economic impacts of all this look like they are gonna start hitting hard over the next month or two. 

41 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Besides as I keep saying they will not have covid 19 as there is no specific test for it.

Were 6 million in those pubs? Or 10,000?

Of course there are tests. 

Edited by Ray Gin

53 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Sorry to ask this but are you a troll or just utterly clueless?

Idiocracy was a glimpse into the future after all.

Weakened Offender

Clown. 

5 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Debenhams due to call in liquidators. 14,000 jobs at risk; the economic impacts of all this look like they are gonna start hitting hard over the next month or two. 

This has feck all to do with covid. It went bust donkeys ago. 

9 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

No he didn’t 

He told everyone he was watching World War Zee, starring Brad Pitt. A film based upon humanity's fight against a virus that zombifies mankind. I can't remember if it was a Russian vaccine that saved the day. But still... 

Laugh, don't laugh. NOGAF! 

Edited by ri Alban

On 16/08/2020 at 00:19, Nucky Thompson said:

I hope none of the pant wetters are watching World War Z on Ch4 tonight :D

On 16/08/2020 at 00:50, Nucky Thompson said:

Brad Pitt uses the Russian vaccine :arry:

On 16/08/2020 at 00:53, Natural Orders said:

Where did you hear this nonsense?

19 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

He said Brad Pitt used the Russian vaccine 

He did. 

Jambo 4 Ever
10 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

A load of tosh mate 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Gone said:

Didn't Mike Ashley take over?

IIRC Sports Direct bought in but didn't take over. I remember reading they went into administration on the same date this year as they did last year BTW, it doesnt exactly seem like it's got a big future.

I'm just finishing up my first weekend away with the family and it's the first time I've left my local area since lockdown. Been eating out and drinking Friday, Saturday and Sunday as well as walking along sometimes narrow and busy paths.

Been really impressed with people by and large in regards social distancing. There's no reason why responsible businesses and customers can't continue to work together and stay open. 

Feeling much more relaxed and upbeat about things now.

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, jake said:

I've been out today .

Had a lovely meal after lord bjays thread in mother indias few sherberts in a few boozers.

Lifes for living 

:pleasing:

Twelve of us went to Mother India last Saturday night. They sat us at two tables of six. The service was great and the food was :pinnila:. We were all sat outside that 56°North for a few refreshments in the sunshine before we went for a feed. Again two tables of six.

I'm not entirely convinced by the mask thing either but it's no great hardship to play along. See with just a wee bit of thought and consideration life can be pretty much normal. We all had a great time.

Glad you enjoyed your night, jake. We should all plan on making the most of it as responsibly as we can before they shut us all down again. 👍

Edited by Governor Tarkin

45 minutes ago, Smithee said:

IIRC Sports Direct bought in but didn't take over. I remember reading they went into administration on the same date this year as they did last year BTW, it doesnt exactly seem like it's got a big future.

Was it not something to do with the Debenhams board, think Ashley was willing to buy them out completely but the board refused or weren't willing to resign and let Ashley take over 100%.

Remember thinking at the time that the writting was on the wall for them because there wasn't anybody else apart from Ashley willing to put money into them to stay afloat, and so it looks like that was the case.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

This has feck all to do with covid. It went bust donkeys ago. 

Debenhams were already struggling and closing some shops, but I think the CV situation has pushed them over the past edge. 

Either way my point was it’s another 14,000 people competing for jobs in a retail sector that has been severely hit by CV. 

Francis Albert
13 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

"Pretty much returning to normal in stages" so as I said still rationing access for the time being. And then there is the small matter of the backlogs. 

I got a letter during the height of the pandemic about my routine bowel cancel screening, assuring me that the labs were stilll operating. I read at the same time that there is a 6 month waiting time for a colonoscopy due to the pandemic. If your test is positive the chances are a colonoscopy will show it is not bowel cancer but  waiting six months to find out is not exactly appealing. There are huge backlogs for other processes and treatments. 

A paper submitted to SAGE estimated 16,000 had died by 1st May due to delays and non-access to medical care and estimated another 26,000 would die by the end of March. "Returning to normal" will take a long time. None of this attracts the sort of banner headlines that one positive test for Coronavirus in one bar does in a country where no-one has died of the virus itself for 6 weeks.. 

Edited by Francis Albert

37 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

"Pretty much returning to normal in stages" so as I said still rationing access for the time being. And then there is the small matter of the backlogs. 

I got a letter during the height of the pandemic about my routine bowel cancel screening, assuring me that the labs were stilll operating. I read at the same time that there is a 6 month waiting time for a colonoscopy due to the pandemic. If your test is positive the chances are a colonoscopy will show it is not bowel cancer but  waiting six months to find out is not exactly appealing. There are huge backlogs for other processes and treatments. 

A paper submitted to SAGE estimated 16,000 had died by 1st May due to delays and non-access to medical care and estimated another 26,000 would die by the end of March. "Returning to normal" will take a long time. None of this attracts the sort of banner headlines that one positive test for Coronavirus in one bar does in a country where no-one has died of the virus itself for 6 weeks.. 

NHS now has a 2 year backlog for breast cancer screening. By the time we hit March 2021, and reach the 1 year anniversary of lockdown, I think undoubtedly we will be at the stage whereby more people in the UK will have died due to the consequences of lockdown, than from CV. 

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Stop talking utter pish. 

Aberdeen has a population of 220,000 so roughly 200 must be around 1% or under .? That’s low odds 

Edited by JamesM48

11 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

NHS now has a 2 year backlog for breast cancer screening. By the time we hit March 2021, and reach the 1 year anniversary of lockdown, I think undoubtedly we will be at the stage whereby more people in the UK will have died due to the consequences of lockdown, than from CV. 

That's disgraceful, it really is. We've created a two tier health service where it seems everything else is dropped unless it's related to Covid 19.

I keep expecting the deaths per cases to rocket to over 80% or something and it to come out the government knew that would happen, as at current levels the reaction just isn't justified.

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, pablo said:

I'm just finishing up my first weekend away with the family and it's the first time I've left my local area since lockdown. Been eating out and drinking Friday, Saturday and Sunday as well as walking along sometimes narrow and busy paths.

Been really impressed with people by and large in regards social distancing. There's no reason why responsible businesses and customers can't continue to work together and stay open. 

Feeling much more relaxed and upbeat about things now.

Great to hear . I still can’t believe some people haven’t left their houses yet . 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Debenhams were already struggling and closing some shops, but I think the CV situation has pushed them over the past edge. 

Either way my point was it’s another 14,000 people competing for jobs in a retail sector that has been severely hit by CV. 

Yes all high street stores are suffering due to online shopping and Debenhams has had an old fashioned image which didn’t help either although I thought some of their clothing was not bad 

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's disgraceful, it really is. We've created a two tier health service where it seems everything else is dropped unless it's related to Covid 19.

I keep expecting the deaths per cases to rocket to over 80% or something and it to come out the government knew that would happen, as at current levels the reaction just isn't justified.

It really is disgraceful. Unfortunately the deaths that occur from unchecked cancers etc will be spread out over the next couple of years. The spike in excess deaths will not be as dramatic as April/May 2020 and as such it probably won’t get much media attention, or political comment. 

We have created a situation whereby CV is the be all and end all of life in the UK now. Any CV death is seen as a cause for panic (although now deaths are drying up, we have moved onto any case of CV being a cause for panic). CV isn’t going to go away anytime soon, so I am not sure how we dig ourselves out of this hole. 

34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Aberdeen has a population of 220,000 so roughly 200 must be around 1% or under .? That’s low odds 

He says there's a 10,000 to 1 chance of "passing it on". Not catching it in general. If that was the case our R number would be 0.0001.  :rofl: 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic