Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just a wee piece of info here.

There is a growing number of healthcare workers whom are falling Ill due to what is suspected to be tiny microscopic fibres from their face masks being breathed into their airways and lodging in their throats and along their respiratory system.

At present it's just producing a bit of a cough but long term who knows what damage it might do.

As far as I know the media haven't picked up the story yet, and it might just be localised to NHS Borders, maybe it's a bad batch of surgical masks they have been issued with, but it may also be more widespread, and that is part of why I'm posting this, to see if anybody else has heard of any similar issues with disposable masks.

Only the disposable masks seem to be a problem, and as I said maybe it's just a bad batch in NHS Borders.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just a wee piece of info here.

There is a growing number of healthcare workers whom are falling Ill due to what is suspected to be tiny microscopic fibres from their face masks being breathed into their airways and lodging in their throats and along their respiratory system.

At present it's just producing a bit of a cough but long term who knows what damage it might do.

As far as I know the media haven't picked up the story yet, and it might just be localised to NHS Borders, maybe it's a bad batch of surgical masks they have been issued with, but it may also be more widespread, and that is part of why I'm posting this, to see if anybody else has heard of any similar issues with disposable masks.

Only the disposable masks seem to be a problem, and as I said maybe it's just a bad batch in NHS Borders.

That's not info mate, that's a rumour

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's not info mate, that's a rumour

Not a rumour when you know people personally who have been affected by this.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm sure you do! 

Unknown user
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well it is, millions wear masks every day, I wear mine 10 hours a day.

I dont doubt there are symptoms but I do doubt the bit where it's caused by masks.

Just now, Smithee said:

Well it is, millions wear masks every day, I wear mine 10 hours a day.

I dont doubt there are symptoms but I do doubt the bit where it's caused by masks.

As I said maybe it's a bad batch NHS Borders have been issued with which is the problem.

That is why I put it out and asked if anybody else has had problems, which you clearly haven't had an issue.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As I said maybe it's a bad batch NHS Borders have been issued with which is the problem.

That is why I put it out and asked if anybody else has had problems, which you clearly haven't had an issue.

Maybe it's nothing to do with masks.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well the problems only started when they had to wear them all the time, no problems before then seemingly.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

Covid-19 is short for Corona Virus Disease 2019.

A corona virus is a specific type of virus, covid is the disease it causes, Covid-19 is the particular disease that emerged in 2019

Thanks, I was sure I'd read that or maybe heard it on a podcast near the start of this all👍 

Weakened Offender
12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Since about 5 times as many are currently dying of those other infections I think.it is safe to assume admissions  are a lot higher than for coronavirus. Assuming that is  they are allowed to see a GP and where necessary get admitted to hospital in the midst of the ongoing "pandemic" crisis.

Are you suggesting that people can't see a GP due to Covid 19?

Weakened Offender
11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I hope none of the pant wetters are watching World War Z on Ch4 tonight :D

I watched it. Solid 7. Train to Busan is a perfect 10. 👌

20 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

You can't at ours, phone consultations only with Skype type appointments being introduced shortly. NHS attend anywhere is the system being used. It'll become part of the new normal.

https://services.nhslothian.scot/LanfineService/nearme/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by graygo

Weakened Offender
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

You can't at ours, phone consultations only with Skype type appointments being introduced shortly. NHS attend anywhere is the system being used. It'll become part of the new normal.

Really? I've been to my surgery, after a telephone consultation, and then back again for bloods. 

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm sure you do! 

Maybe it is to do with a faulty bath of masks as Jimbo says, seeing as he personally knows folk who are affected.

Nae need to be so rudely dismissive, the pair of yies.

doctor jambo
2 hours ago, graygo said:

We’ve been seeing patients all the way through .

examining someone over video is impossible.

Especially gynae problems 🤪

Jambo 4 Ever
3 hours ago, graygo said:

FFS, it was a film on the TV last night.

He should have said it then

not really that funny is it

Back to 2005

How could a piece of cloth be "faulty "? Unfortunate truth is that masks will eventually cause you health issues as you are not breathing in clear air and the bad air cannot escape so you are re -infecting yourselves.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Maybe it is to do with a faulty bath of masks as Jimbo says, seeing as he personally knows folk who are affected.

Nae need to be so rudely dismissive, the pair of yies.

Is it rude to point out its a rumour, not info?

43 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

How could a piece of cloth be "faulty "? Unfortunate truth is that masks will eventually cause you health issues as you are not breathing in clear air and the bad air cannot escape so you are re -infecting yourselves.

That's not truth, fortunate or otherwise. 

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Not suggesting. Stating as a fact based on personal experience. Telephone and video only ... unless you make a fuss and threaten to go to A&E ... and this was not a trivial complaint. Of course many particularly elferly people don''t have a smart phone or the savvy to conduct a video call and do not have the confidence to argue with their surgery/doctor. Not to mention being terrified of catching coronavirus or reluctance to fail to "protect the NHS"

And of course routine practice such blood pressure or lung capacity or blood tests can't be done over the phone.

Back to 2005
29 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Not suggesting. Stating as a fact based on personal experience. Telephone and video only ... unless you make a fuss and threaten to go to A&E ... and this was not a trivial complaint. Of course many particularly elferly people don''t have a smart phone or the savvy to conduct a video call and do not have the confidence to argue with their surgery/doctor. Not to mention being terrified of catching coronavirus or reluctance to fail to "protect the NHS"

And of course routine practice such blood pressure or lung capacity or blood tests can't be done over the phone.

Things are actually worse than I thought. My dad is 88 and could not know where to start with a video call. Together with the scandal in the care homes it's like we are attempting a cull on the elderly.

Back to 2005

I see some of the MSM are finally picking up on the fact that sick patients were sent back to care homes. Can any of the Sturgeon cult explain the thinking behind this? This in itself should see Sturgeon resign if not up in court. 

Meanwhile I am apparently killing granny if I don't wear a mask.....

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I see some of the MSM are finally picking up on the fact that sick patients were sent back to care homes. Can any of the Sturgeon cult explain the thinking behind this? This in itself should see Sturgeon resign if not up in court. 

:cornette_dog:

Francis Albert
44 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I wouldn't be too hard on Nicola or the NHS for the care homes scandal... It seems to have been the norm almost everywhere.

But a friend whose husband has late stage COPD had to admit him to hospital with severe breathing difficulties. She found that he had been admitted to a ward full of coronavirus patients ... pretty much a death sentence. She immediately got him out and home. This was some time after the peak of the virus when hospitals were emptier than usual. Many many people in the NHS deserve the title of heroes. But of the many enquiries that follow one  should be into the misjudgements of the NHS and the deficiencies of services to non coronavirus patients thousands of whom have died and mamy more will die as a result.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

To create space/beds in hospitals, at the time when the decision was taken there was real serious fears that the NHS would have been overwhelmed, like what was happening in Italy & Spain at the time. 

Moving the elderly out of hospitals into care homes isn't the scandal here, the scandal was not testing them prior to release and then not quarantining them all before they mixed with the other residents.

Toxteth O'Grady

Is anybody here going to pubs and other places where you need to leave contact details? 

Risking 2 weeks self isolation for the sake of a couple of pints or a meal seems like high stakes to me.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Is anybody here going to pubs and other places where you need to leave contact details? 

Risking 2 weeks self isolation for the sake of a couple of pints or a meal seems like high stakes to me.

Yes. At least every other day. The chances of it leading to isolation are as remote as is catching coronavirus now. I am honest but there is absolutely nothing to stop people giving false contact details. Like masks It is more for show than anything else.

5 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Yes. Its a potential price worth paying for getting my life back to normal.

Francis Albert
43 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

To create space/beds in hospitals, at the time when the decision was taken there was real serious fears that the NHS would have been overwhelmed, like what was happening in Italy & Spain at the time. 

Moving the elderly out of hospitals into care homes isn't the scandal here, the scandal was not testing them prior to release and then not quarantining them all before they mixed with the other residents.

True but the NHS was still and is still severely rationing access to non coronavirus patients long after the risk of the NHS being overwhelmed was over. 

5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Exactly how it started up here.

Edinburgh will be in lockdown by the weekend. 

This is exactly why airports should be shut for holidaymakers to stop people bringing the virus back into the country.

indianajones
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This is exactly why airports should be shut for holidaymakers to stop people bringing the virus back into the country.

Kind of agree... especially the high risk countries although we do need to get things moving again.

I am flying on the 27th from Edinburgh and now fairly bricking it that it wont happen now. Low risk country before anyone has a go!

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Good lord one person has contracted the disease and people want Edinburgh shut down?

Lol. The outbreak of drama queenism is rampant.

Edited by Fun Boaby

Just now, indianajones said:

Kind of agree... especially the high risk countries although we do need to get things moving again.

I am flying on the 27th from Edinburgh and now fairly bricking it that it wont happen now. Low risk country before anyone has a go!

I've seen the holiday footage of resorts with families behaving completely oblivious to the fact we are in a pandemic.  To me its obvious that we can't trust people to follow the guidance so need draconian rules to counter.

Toxteth O'Grady
22 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Yes. Its a potential price worth paying for getting my life back to normal.

Fair enough - I was never a pub or restaurant regular so I’ll give it a miss

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Fun Boaby said:

Lol. The outbreak of drama queenism is rampant.

A disease which has killed one person in 6 weeks in Scotland!

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I've seen the holiday footage of resorts with families behaving completely oblivious to the fact we are in a pandemic.  To me its obvious that we can't trust people to follow the guidance so need draconian rules to counter.

Shoot on sight?

indianajones
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Yeah totally agree with you regarding resorts. Should never be allowed just now. 

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Shoot on sight?

Not really, but I'd make exceptions for certain individuals that work arund the mount florida area. 👍

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Yeah totally agree with you regarding resorts. Should never be allowed just now. 

Is there any actual evidence that people going to beaches and resorts has spread the virus let alone resulted in one death? I mean any evidence that might call for "draconian measures"?

indianajones
19 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Exactly how it started up here.

Edinburgh will be in lockdown by the weekend. 

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Good lord one person has contracted the disease and people want Edinburgh shut down?

Not sure if people want it locked down or not.

Not what i said at all.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic