Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Excellent news.  Should be headlines on all social media and news outlets....however not surprised it isnt for some reason. 

Good news doesn’t sell.  

One death in the space of about a month and a half in Scotland tells you everything you need to know about where we are with the virus.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

There have been the following increases in NHS Grampian Covid-+ve patients in hospital since 26 July: 2 (between 31 July & 3 August), 1 (3-4 August), 1 (9-10 August), 1 (11-12 August), so folk are still being admitted to hospital due to Covid. 

Those are net figures - I've no idea if there were any folk who left hospital during those periods, so the admissions figures might actually be greater.

These are of course low figures, but I thought I would add them for information.

Putting it into perspective, 3099 were admitted into hospital in the UK on 31st March

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's becoming a bit boring tbh. X number of new cases here, blah blah ...woman loses cat in Auchermuchty..all very parochial when it's been ditched at UK level. Hopefully BBC Scotland realises it can no longer justify broadcasting this daily monologue. Sturgeon, though, will absolutely miss the limelight and exposure this has given her.

Covid still exists whether you're a bit bored of it or not. Over 200 linked to the Aberdeen pubs cluster now. This is what happens when people get complacent.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Its about " saving face" after the Govt panicked in March after the doomsday prediction of 500,000 deaths.  They don't want to admit they grossly over reacted however to be fair to them it was all very new and most experts were giving conflicting information ( still do ).  . 

Did they grossly overreact or did lockdown do its job?

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Covid still exists whether you're a bit bored of it or not. Over 200 linked to the Aberdeen pubs cluster now. This is what happens when people get complacent.

Complacent? Or pragmatic. There will be local spikes, of course, but "200 cases linked to.." does not have the same resonance as it may have done back in the panic stricken days in March. I think the general public can survive OK without the daily hectoring from Sturgeon imo

22 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Good news doesn’t sell.  

One death in the space of about a month and a half in Scotland tells you everything you need to know about where we are with the virus.  

No it doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I agree with you to a point, however the hospital admissions and deaths will be interesting in the next 2-4 weeks we should surely expect these to rise ...

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Complacent? Or pragmatic. There will be local spikes, of course, but "200 cases linked to.." does not have the same resonance as it may have done back in the panic stricken days in March. I think the general public can survive OK without the daily hectoring from Sturgeon imo

Indeed, 200 cases would have been water off a duck's back in March when there were over 2000 cases a day. Do you fancy a return to those days? I sure as hell don't. Being careful and applying local lockdowns will help stop this.

1 minute ago, steve123 said:

I agree with you to a point, however the hospital admissions and deaths will be interesting in the next 2-4 weeks we should surely expect these to rise ...

Hopefully it was mostly young people and they have managed to avoid passing it on to the older generation if they were identified quick enough.

7 minutes ago, steve123 said:

If they haven't risen over the last 3 weeks, there is no reason to expect them to rise over the next month or so. This is reflected across the country as Oldham and Greater Manchester have reported cases doubling as hospital admissions halved. The 200 cases in Aberdeen will have included a mixed age range and, as of the last update, nobody has been admitted to hospital as a result of contracting Covid. Along with a month without deaths,  thankfully, that tells us all we need to know about the virus in it's present form. Yes, be cautious of course, but we are coming through this now.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Pele_Is_God said:

First visit to the cinema this afternoon, was alright. Surprised there was no track and trace system in place though ....

How busy was it? 

my point put better than I could have, for all the cases deaths and people in ICU is low and long may it continue!!

Edited by steve123

21 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If they haven't risen over the last 3 weeks, there is no reason to expect them to rise over the next month or so. This is reflected across the country as Oldham and Greater Manchester have reported cases doubling as hospital admissions halved. The 200 cases in Aberdeen will have included a mixed age range and, as of the last update, nobody has been admitted to hospital as a result of contracting Covid. Along with a month without deaths,  thankfully, that tells us all we need to know about the virus in it's present form. Yes, be cautious of course, but we are coming through this now.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say here, I have provided the information above that several covid-+ve people have been admitted to NHS Grampian hospitals (read ARI) since the cluster began.

Weakened Offender
35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

How busy was it? 

Off your head going to the cinema at the present time. Prices are ****ing unreal. 

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say here, I have provided the information above that several covid-+ve people have been admitted to NHS Grampian hospitals (read ARI) since the cluster began.

According to the Scot Gov briefing during the week iirc, nobody from the Hawthorn cluster had been admitted to hospital. You've cited a single person in each of the weeks but it may be unrelated to this cluster or they may have contracted it in hospital. At any rate, to have daily new cases of 40 -60 while the total number of people in hospital decreases, down to 244 today  tells us where we are with Covid imo.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Off your head going to the cinema at the present time. Prices are ****ing unreal. 

:D :thumb:

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

According to the Scot Gov briefing during the week iirc, nobody from the Hawthorn cluster had been admitted to hospital. You've cited a single person in each of the weeks but it may be unrelated to this cluster or they may have contracted it in hospital. At any rate, to have daily new cases of 40 -60 while the total number of people in hospital decreases, down to 244 today  tells us where we are with Covid imo.

I'm not disputing that we appear to have a much better handle on this, Enzo. As long as Test and Protect does its trick, we should be fine. The fact, for example, that those identified as contacts in the Grampian cluster will now be offered an immediate test (they had to be showing symptoms before) is good news. I have to admit that I was surprised that immediate tests were not on offer before, but better late than never.

Just for precision, the data I provided wasn't split into weeks. It's effectively a total of five net increases in Covid-+ve folk in hospital in Grampian over the last 15 days. I suspect that contraction of Covid within hospital is, fortunately, very unlikely now.

I know it may be contentious, but given that Aberdeen City had very few infections in the weeks before the cluster, I would imagine that the vast majority of the infections since then are linked in some way to the cluster, it's just that the connection hasn't positively been made in some cases.

The point I wanted to make was that we're still getting new admissions to hospital with Covid. There are very few of them, granted, and that is great to see, but the fact that they are still occurring means that we should remain vigilant.

28 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Am I missing something here?

Cinema only cost £6 does it not?

Edited by theshed

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, theshed said:

Am I missing something here?

Cinema only cost £6 does it not?

Aye, for a coke. 

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The point I wanted to make was that we're still getting new admissions to hospital with Covid. There are very few of them, granted, and that is great to see, but the fact that they are still occurring means that we should remain vigilant.

I would like to know what the admissions are for flu, pneumonia and other viral infections over the same period 

Unknown user
11 hours ago, Taffin said:

Covid-19 isn't a virus I don't think. I believed it is a disease.

Though looking at the NHS website it says they test for "coronavirus (Covid 19)". Which has confused me further.

I'm sure I read that the coronavirus is Sars Cov 2 which can lead to the disease Covid 19.

Edit: sorry the above is terribly written. Theres no questions marks yet really the entire thing is meant as a question.

Covid-19 is short for Corona Virus Disease 2019.

A corona virus is a specific type of virus, covid is the disease it causes, Covid-19 is the particular disease that emerged in 2019

29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm not disputing that we appear to have a much better handle on this, Enzo. As long as Test and Protect does its trick, we should be fine. The fact, for example, that those identified as contacts in the Grampian cluster will now be offered an immediate test (they had to be showing symptoms before) is good news. I have to admit that I was surprised that immediate tests were not on offer before, but better late than never.

Just for precision, the data I provided wasn't split into weeks. It's effectively a total of five net increases in Covid-+ve folk in hospital in Grampian over the last 15 days. I suspect that contraction of Covid within hospital is, fortunately, very unlikely now.

I know it may be contentious, but given that Aberdeen City had very few infections in the weeks before the cluster, I would imagine that the vast majority of the infections since then are linked in some way to the cluster, it's just that the connection hasn't positively been made in some cases.

Yes, some good points there Red. Thanks for clarifying the stats and yes, we do seem to have a much better handle on things. I agree, keep track & trace doing its job and we should be fine.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

We will know in a year or two - with the benefit of hindsight of course. 

So we have another one or two years of obsession with a virus that is currently killing a fraction of the numbers dying of flu and pneumonia in  the off season for those ailments.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I would like to know what the admissions are for flu, pneumonia and other viral infections over the same period 

Since about 5 times as many are currently dying of those other infections I think.it is safe to assume admissions  are a lot higher than for coronavirus. Assuming that is  they are allowed to see a GP and where necessary get admitted to hospital in the midst of the ongoing "pandemic" crisis.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Shanks said:

Good news doesn’t sell.  

Since Nicola lost the duty to express her sympathy for the families of the deceased in her daily  briefings has she mentioned the many who have died because of the failings of the NHS and the fear engendered by among other things her daily briefings

Edited by Francis Albert

Governor Tarkin
36 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Since Nicola lost the duty to express her sympathy for the families of the deceased in her daily  briefings has she mentioned the many who have died because of the failings of the NHS and the fear engendered by among other things her daily briefings

I know that was a rhetorical question, FA, but you still need to punctuate it properly.

:seething:

Jambo 4 Ever
3 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

First visit to the cinema this afternoon, was alright. Surprised there was no track and trace system in place though ....

Which cinema was it?

what did you see?

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

I just want to know mate

no problem with that 

Ok fair do's 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I know it's not the point you are making but Nicola Sturgeon expresses her sympathy for the families of the deceased at every briefing.

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Both. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Cost £6 to get in. About 10-15 people in my screen....

What did you go and see?  " Contagion" or " Outbreak" ?   :)

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I hope none of the pant wetters are watching World War Z on Ch4 tonight :D

I started watching it but I get too tense watching those kind of films.

Btw what did you see at the pictures?

Oooops wisnae you

Edited by jake

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for those figures . I did try and locate them but couldnt find them anywhere. Im just surprised the SG haven't mentioned this information on their daily briefings?

Edited by JamesM48

Nucky Thompson
17 minutes ago, jake said:

I started watching it but I get too tense watching those kind of films.

I love them 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

What are you mumbling about?

7 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Where did you hear this nonsense?

Choking on an argument type posts.

5 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Eh?

11 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Where did you hear this nonsense?

17 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic