Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

They should bring in spot fines for people who refuse to wear face masks on buses or in enclosed spaces. 

100 quid first offence, 1000 quid second and subsequent offences. 

Get the cops to spend a couple of days having a blitz on culprits. 

The same rules should be applied to folk messing up beaches and country roads with their rubbish. 

Again there is actually no real evidence that masks make any difference. And would your draconian measures apply to.people not wearing a mask.properly or disposable masks worn for the tenth time  or  face  cloths unwashed after ten uses? If not it would just be about appearances and the need to.impose unjustified authority and obedience.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Again there is actually no real evidence that masks make any difference. And would your draconian measures apply to.people not wearing a mask.properly or disposable masks worn for the tenth time  or  face  cloths unwashed after ten uses? If not it would just be about appearances and the need to.impose unjustified authority and obedience.

Not wearing a mask is a signal that person doesn't care about anyone else's safety.

You can argue all you like about your theories but the public are being asked this small task to keep other people safe and if you or anyone else doesn't comply you can be fined. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, graygo said:

Getting on for 4 weeks without a confirmed Covid-19 death in Scotland. 👍

Scottish numbers: 9 August 2020

• 48 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 1.3% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends).
  • 3 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 261 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 12,291 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

Very encouraging news and I hope those in hospital recover well in as short a time as possible too. I wonder how those figures compare to other countries regarding the number of deaths per those diagnosed with the virus. Has it mutated differently here to north and south America for instance and become less potent. The Science will tell soon hopefully.

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Not wearing a mask is a signal that person doesn't care about anyone else's safety.

You can argue all you like about your theories but the public are being asked this small task to keep other people safe and if you or anyone else doesn't comply you can be fined. 

Or it is a signal you won't comply with an irrational imposition which has no scientific or other justification. I do comply but I am able to recognise why I am being forced to.do so. Which has little to.do.with keeping other people safe. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

If not it would just be about appearances and the need to impose unjustified authority and obedience.

And therein ... etc.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

And therein ... etc.

You don't believe that bullshit, Gov. Utter Bollox. As for no proof, there's plenty. 

You just need one test tho. Would you rather someone with Covid19 sneezed you while both of you wore a mask or neither wore a mask. 

People who think this is some sort of infringement of their rights or to put you under obedience, just because the government asks you to wear a mask indoors, isn't very bright, are listening to wierdos or have hurt their head sometime in the past. They probably think putting stuff on separate bins is a government conspiracy. 

Anyway, the only people who are in the wrong are folk who don't wear masks. Utter morons who don't give a feck about anyone but themselves. And for that, that is why a second wave will be very handy. Feck the fines.

11 hours ago, graygo said:

Getting on for 4 weeks without a confirmed Covid-19 death in Scotland. 👍

Scottish numbers: 9 August 2020

• 48 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 1.3% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends).
  • 261 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 12,291 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

Hey Man, There is not enough scaremongering in those numbers, get the mibbe ayes and naws in there, anaw. We need scared and obedient, but those SG stats are twisted and distorted, we need panic!!!! 

:scared:

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You don't believe that bullshit, Gov. Utter Bollox. As for no proof, there's plenty. 

You just need one test tho. Would you rather someone with Covid19 sneezed you while both of you wore a mask or neither wore a mask. 

People who think this is some sort of infringement of their rights or to put you under obedience, just because the government asks you to wear a mask indoors, isn't very bright, are listening to wierdos or have hurt their head sometime in the past. They probably think putting stuff on separate bins is a government conspiracy. 

Anyway, the only people who are in the wrong are folk who don't wear masks. Utter morons who don't give a feck about anyone but themselves. And for that, that is why a second wave will be very handy. Feck the fines.

exyfUfT7u8HluIYw.jpg

"Mrs Robinson at number 6 is putting her bins out without wearing a mask. Hopefully she dies of covid" 

:cornette_dog:

9 hours ago, jonesy said:

Sorry, I know you won’t agree, but your first sentence is, in my opinion, very wide of the mark. I’m a compassionate, caring person, far from perfect, but willing to recognise that other people matter more than I do.

The average punter - myself included- probably does half a dozen things daily that jeopardise other people’s lives. Driving ICE cars, disposing of rubbish that ends up in landfill or in the ocean, using electricity from non renewable sources, flying on aeroplanes, breathing in public during ‘flu season’.

I’m fed up with this holier-than-thou claptrap from the more ardent mask enthusiasts. Governments have no idea what to do, but masks create a tangible, physical difference which is visible to many people on a daily basis, thus making it seem like some kind of benevolent intervention has been carried out. 

The fact that ‘laws’ such as this are backed up by monetary fines tells you all you need to know about what is truly valued. 

I can only work on the assumption that the "those not wearing masks are selfish" don't do the things you've listed above in bold. If they do, then they're hypocrites.

As you say, our actions every day take other people's lives and until now everyone seems to have been okay with that. If this is the start of us not being okay with that and change across the board then great. As far as I can see though, it's just another example of how people dying from Covid is seen as different and somehow more important to stop than any other deaths, to the extent that we're actually causing other deaths by economic impact, cancelled hospital treatments and the mask twits lobbing their discarded masks on the ground 

Edited by Taffin

Sorry, I know you won’t agree, but your first sentence is, in my opinion, very wide of the mark. I’m a compassionate, caring person, far from perfect, but willing to recognise that other people matter more than I do.

The average punter - myself included- probably does half a dozen things daily that jeopardise other people’s lives. Driving ICE cars, disposing of rubbish that ends up in landfill or in the ocean, using electricity from non renewable sources, flying on aeroplanes, breathing in public during ‘flu season’.

I’m fed up with this holier-than-thou claptrap from the more ardent mask enthusiasts. Governments have no idea what to do, but masks create a tangible, physical difference which is visible to many people on a daily basis, thus making it seem like some kind of benevolent intervention has been carried out. 

The fact that ‘laws’ such as this are backed up by monetary fines tells you all you need to know about what is truly valued. 

Excuses and deflection imo. 

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I will stick with this.

P1010006.JPG

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I doubt Covid would have taken that into consideration. 

Maybe we should suspend fire alarms  too then. 

Being supportive to others

There are many ways we can be supportive to people who might be struggling with masks.

• Don't judge people who are not wearing masks. Don't assume that someone not wearing a mask is 'just being selfish'. 

(taken from the Mind website). 

Sitting on the top deck of a bus in boiling heat and out of about 40 people half a dozen are wearing masks means an awful lot of the passengers have health conditions. 

Most were young people going to the beach, we were just going home. 

Its not as if its just our Governments that are asking for face masks to be worn it's a requirement in most countries. 

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Sitting on the top deck of a bus in boiling heat and out of about 40 people half a dozen are wearing masks means an awful lot of the passengers have health conditions. 

Most were young people going to the beach, we were just going home. 

Its not as if its just our Governments that are asking for face masks to be worn it's a requirement in most countries. 

Where I live passenger numbers in buses are strictly limited - for example for a single decker to 14. So there would never be as many as 40 on one deck. Mask wearing on buses and shops in this bit of Englandshire is close to 100%. In a large supermarket I might see two customers without masks, which seems consistent with the medical exemption rule. 

Assuming your experience is in Scotlandshire I am surprised Nicola's legendary powers of communication and persuasion are not more effective, 

23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Maybe we should suspend fire alarms  too then. 

A fire alarm is hardly accountable for people grouping outside a venue, shoulder to shoulder.

No doubt it will be "nanny Nicola" who gets moaned about if we get put back into lockdown, rather than reckless people like the above who decided the rules didn't apply to them.

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Another obvious example is the common, indeed almost universal ignoring, of speed limits.

Ten years ago after accumulating 9 points I had to adhere strictly to speed limits for over six months. It was eye opening to see the risks frustrated drivers would take to get one place ahead of me at the next traffic light or roundabout.

Young people and children in particular are more likely to die on the roads than of Covid19.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I think Musselburgh should be in permanent lockdown anyway. Its a ghastly shitehole. 

:lol:

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Nowt wrong wi the honest toun :lol:

Great place...go there regularly

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hey Man, There is not enough scaremongering in those numbers, get the mibbe ayes and naws in there, anaw. We need scared and obedient, but those SG stats are twisted and distorted, we need panic!!!! 

:scared:

We need to be on our guard as Hadrian's wall has been down for years and our virus infected neighbour has free access to our lands at the moment. Even their chief arsehole is threatening to bring his brood up to God's country for a holiday.

44 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I think Musselburgh should be in permanent lockdown anyway. Its a ghastly shitehole. 

Hey, that's my birthplace & home for 23+ years. The "honest toun" I'll let you know.

I remember going to that "cinema" to watch Davy Crockett before I discovered HMFC to be entertained on a Saturday.

PS. What "ghastly shitehole" do you come from?:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Hey, that's my birthplace & home for 23+ years. The "honest toun" I'll let you know.

I remember going to that "cinema" to watch Davy Crockett before I discovered HMFC to be entertained on a Saturday.

PS. What "ghastly shitehole" do you come from?:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

Staggs 🍺👍

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Staggs 🍺👍

Staggs is a good pub, albeit never been there for years.

Picture is Wotherspoons & next door used to be Di Rollo's ice cream shop & cafe. A good competitor for Luca's:2thumbsup:

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Staggs is a good pub, albeit never been there for years.

Picture is Wotherspoons & next door used to be Di Rollo's ice cream shop & cafe. A good competitor for Luca's:2thumbsup:

Was Arcari’s Musselburgh?

Governor Tarkin
45 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

PS. What "ghastly shitehole" do you come from?

His mothers.

24 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Was Arcari’s Musselburgh?

No, I think their factory was at The Wisp, next to the Goodyear Man made from old tyres.

Arcari's vans rounds included Musselburgh.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

His mothers.

Ooft😅

*edit*

Being from Rosewell I'm not going to comment further!

Edited by Dawnrazor

John Gentleman
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It all kicked off when some poorly trained, so-called 'security officers' at a quarantine facility (a hotel in Melbourne) thought it would be be a good idea to get overly-friendly with some of the people under quarantine. That's all it took. Remember, this whole shitshow started with ONE infected person somewhere in China....

We're doing OK in Adelaide/South Australia, but it's a case of "..there, but for the grace of God, go I".

56 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Look at the daily cases. From 12 up to over 700 in the space of a month.

Deaths from 0 to 17 a day. 

Edited by Ray Gin

22 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Seems a sensible move to me, can't just look at the death figures in isolation or they will no doubt rocket.

Anyhoo, today's figures.

Scottish numbers: 10 August 2020

• 29 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.8% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends).
  • 267 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 10,319 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

doctor jambo
24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I think his point is that now we are at a point where with economies tanking all over the place we will soon be facing higher deaths from the economic crash/ health funding crisis careering around the corner as tax revenues tank/ suicide / cancer deaths/ mega-austerity than if we left places unlocked

The Mighty Thor

See the cluster linked to Aberdeen has returned a total of 157 positive cases now. 

Just shows the impact 1 infected person can have on the community. 

37 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I think his point is that now we are at a point where with economies tanking all over the place we will soon be facing higher deaths from the economic crash/ health funding crisis careering around the corner as tax revenues tank/ suicide / cancer deaths/ mega-austerity than if we left places unlocked

How would the cases and deaths be kept under control with no lockdown? If that curve continued they'd very quickly have similar numbers to what we saw in March/April, and with nothing to control the virus in place that would keep rising. We had 1500 at our peak before lockdown brought it back under control. 

How many daily deaths are acceptable to you?

Edited by Ray Gin

Nucky Thompson

6 new deaths in English hospitals today.

The UK are now the 3rd lowest in infections per 100,000 in Europe, just behind Greece and Germany.

Spain and Belgium are the two highest at the moment

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

6 new deaths in English hospitals today.

The UK are now the 3rd lowest in infections per 100,000 in Europe, just behind Greece and Germany.

Spain and Belgium are the two highest at the moment

Great news. Hopefully this trend continues, and we can have the lowest infection rates in Europe. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

It all kicked off when some poorly trained, so-called 'security officers' at a quarantine facility (a hotel in Melbourne) thought it would be be a good idea to get overly-friendly with some of the people under quarantine. That's all it took. Remember, this whole shitshow started with ONE infected person somewhere in China....

We're doing OK in Adelaide/South Australia, but it's a case of "..there, but for the grace of God, go I".

The state of Victoria - of which Melbourne is the capital - reported 322 new infections and 19 new deaths on Monday, with 14 of the deaths connected to outbreaks at care homes.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Yep !

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Great news. Hopefully this trend continues, and we can have the lowest infection rates in Europe. 

The WHO are also praising the UK today on their local lockdown strategy.

A few positive stories appearing. 

Nothing to do with the imminent return of Schools :D

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

How would the cases and deaths be kept under control with no lockdown? If that curve continued they'd very quickly have similar numbers to what we saw in March/April, and with nothing to control the virus in place that would keep rising. We had 1500 at our peak before lockdown brought it back under control. 

How many daily deaths are acceptable to you?

Depends what you regard as acceptable.

1- covid has shortened the life expectancy of a large number of people over 80 years old with pre-existing conditions- by how much we dont know and cannot tell.

Many in nursing homes

2 - lock down will cost thousands of lives to be shortended by decades via delayed cancer diagnosis and cancelled treatments.

3 the upcoming ultra recession will cost countless young lives ( how many did the last austerity cost? certainly tens of thousands and this one is going to make the last one look like a cake walk!)

Keep nursing homes locked down and anyone over ?70 years old locked down + some shielding groups would be my guess, otherwise the consequences will be apocalyptic

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic