Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Ainsley Harriott
9 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That's what I'd imagine someone sniffing ginger spices knickers would look like.

😂

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, weehammy said:

FM to announce standing on one leg while queueing and face masks to be tartan will become mandatory from 11 July.

Make it the 12th you sad case.

UK government U-turns (yes, really!) and scraps the 14 day quarantine for overseas visitors.

Go where you want, do what you want, spread what you want.

We no longer care.

joondalupjambo

Jackson Carlaw said on TV today that he supported the SG's approach in relation to the mandatory wearing of face coverings in shops. Good to hear him say that.

Auld Reekin'
8 minutes ago, weehammy said:

If eventual attendance at football becomes conditional on wearing a mask I’ll be staying in the hoose.

What's the problem? Wrap a washable (acrylic) Hearts' scarf around your face* and Bob's your uncle.

(*Nothing personal...   :whistling:   :mw_rolleyes: )

Edited by Auld Reekin'

11 minutes ago, weehammy said:

If eventual attendance at football becomes conditional on wearing a mask I’ll be staying in the hoose.

Do you promise!? 

Once a brat, always a brat. This forum, I dinae want tae dae this, a dinae want tae dae that, a dinae see the point, nut, even if it's guid for mi am still no dayin it. Perpetually swimming against the current because they are still devoid of attention...So ***kin Hibs!

Scotland has just about reined this wee ***ker in...for once, just dae as yir ***kin telt ...:peace:

48 minutes ago, weehammy said:

FM to announce standing on one leg while queueing and face masks to be tartan will become mandatory from 11 July.

:cornette:

Brighton Jambo

I hadn’t realised that the hospital numbers announced each day aren’t for deaths for previous 24 hours but are those recorded in last 24 hours.  For example today’s figures included numbers from earlier in June and even one from April.  

I always assumed it was only the overall daily figure calculated that way, does a stone know if that data is published anywhere? 

thanks in advance.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, OBE said:

Once a brat, always a brat. This forum, I dinae want tae dae this, a dinae want tae dae that, a dinae see the point, nut, even if it's guid for mi am still no dayin it. Perpetually swimming against the current because they are still devoid of attention...So ***kin Hibs!

Scotland has just about reined this wee ***ker in...for once, just dae as yir ***kin telt ...:peace:

:laugh:

Now if Johnson was telling them it would be a different response.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Only if it was something I like :D

To be fair, I agree with Sturgeon on mandatory face masks in shops

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

So much constant, unnecessary peenging taking place on here TRM. Novel viruses don't come with instruction manuals or help lines.

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

👍

like yourself I’ve worn the face masks in shops.

It can be uncomfortable but so be it.

Wearing the mask in shops is a good idea but to eradicate the virus more we

really should be wearing visors what is everybody opinion on this

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Why?

I ordered a Ramones one today. Wore a buff on the tram the other day and can't be arsed with that.

12 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Just like reading your posts, it’s hard to breathe.

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, jake said:

Does anyone know if people who work in shops have had high incidence of staff catching this?

Good question. A security guard at my local Sainsbury has been on duty since the start of it all and still here..sans face mask.

Francis Albert
40 minutes ago, jake said:

Does anyone know if people who work in shops have had high incidence of staff catching this?

Good question. People on supermarket tills are more exposed to more people for longer than most and handle everything that go through the tills. The plastic screens eventually installed do not secure 2m or often  even 1m separation. Yet I have seen no statistics on their outcomes. By now we should have a very clear idea on who are most at risk and shoild acting on that rather than ... Well whatever the logic is for current restrictions and guidance and rules may be.

PS and in.my part of the world a high proportion of people on supermarket tills are BAME. Sorry hate that phrase which essentially means defining diverse communities as non-white.

Edited by Francis Albert

JudyJudyJudy
38 minutes ago, jake said:

My local corner shop is always busy. Unsure how many customers they have each day but the shop keepers dont wear masks, gloves or having the plastic glass thingy...and yet none of them seem to have been ill with the virus  ( its family run and there are numerous members of the family working in it) . Its bizarre. 

Nucky Thompson
43 minutes ago, jake said:

They don't seem to be high on the list.

Security guards were highest 74 deaths per 100,000

social care 50.1(men) per 100,000. 19.1(women) per 100,000

There are a few others higher, but sales and retail assistants 34.2(men) per 100,000 and 15.7(women) per 100,000

Edit. That's obviously just deaths not people who catch it

Edited by Nucky Thompson

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Just like reading your posts, it’s hard to breathe.

Thanks for the English lesson, I am not one to take offence 

27 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Thanks for the English lesson, I am not one to take offence 

Tremendous news.  :thumbsup:

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yes, the sinister tartan mask stunt apart, I also agree with today's decision. 

3 hours ago, weehammy said:

PHM 

Nucky Thompson

89 UK deaths in all settings

576 new positive cases out of 252,084 tests carried out

Seems a good bit lower than previous days

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

89 UK deaths in all settings

576 new positive cases out of 252,084 tests carried out

Seems a good bit lower than previous days

Thats good news and only 576 new cases out of that amount tested ?  In one day?????? 

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

One Lidl closed? How statistically significant is that?

I didn't say it was. I was giving an example of a shop that had a high incidence of staff catching it.

Mac_fae_Gillie
32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Thats good news and only 576 new cases out of that amount tested ?  In one day?????? 

Numbers were out real late today possible they were waiting for some Health Authorities to get figures in, so may have put out what they had before all were in been it was so late.

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, weehammy said:

Excellent news. Things just keep getting better and better. 

Francis Albert
49 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I didn't say it was. I was giving an example of a shop that had a high incidence of staff catching it.

Ok. I would have hoped for  some more  convincing  response to my question of of why there wasn't more info.on the impact on supermarket staff than the case of one Lidl.

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

In which case you wouldn't be wearing the mask properly and not following the guidelines.

Thats not on the Government. 

If adults are unable to avoid touching there face for a 30 minute shop or bus ride then they have bigger issues than Coronavirus.

I'd say about 50% or more of people wearing masks are unable to avoid touching their masks  for more than a few minutes let alone 30 minutes.

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

That's what I'd imagine someone sniffing ginger spices knickers would look like.

Front or back? That’s made me feel a bit ill.

Francis Albert
On 01/07/2020 at 16:32, main said:

Spain and Italy were affected by different issues than we were. Mainly an especially elderly population in Italy’s case and the extended family which is still a big thing in those countries. Not to mention dreadful pollution in northern Italy in particular  being the worst in Europe which had been weakening the respiratory systems of the people who live there for years. 

Agreed. I was responding to.your claim that the UK suffered more badly because of its unhealthy lifestyle and specifically high alcohol consumption and smoking rates which the statistics on both don't support.  

Edited by Francis Albert

4 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

Got to draw the line somewhere. It’s like folk washing their groceries or wearing a mask in their own car.

7 hours ago, Cade said:

When we were all supposed to be indoors and not at work and most of the shops were shut, there was no real need to be wearing a mask.

Now that shops are opening, you're allowed out, public transport is back on and folk are going back to work, a mask becomes a vital bit of kit as we mix with more other humans on a day to day basis.

The advice at the time from Catherine Calderwood (CMO) was that face masks were unnecessary. They were also prioritised for the NHS.

6 hours ago, westbow said:

Front or back? That’s made me feel a bit ill.

I don't know, could be either. I obviously didn't put as much thought into it as you. 😄

Other than for medical reasons, you'd need to be a right inconsiderate arsewipe, not to wear a mask. It shouldn't have to be mandatory, just manners. 

Edited by ri Alban

What is with people fae these islands. 4th of July propaganda and guarding WW2 hero statues whilst doing the auld Nazi salute. 

::facepaw::

7 hours ago, westbow said:

Got to draw the line somewhere. It’s like folk washing their groceries or wearing a mask in their own car.

A lot of pawed groceries in the isles going on. Dithering, indecision could be lethal. Have a list, trolley it, pay and ***k off...:thumbsup:

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

What is with people fae these islands. 4th of July propaganda and guarding WW2 hero statues whilst doing the auld Nazi salute. 

::facepaw::

The answer is they are clueless.

The 4th of July is when America got independence from Britain. 

As for Nazi salutes :vrface: 

Brighton Jambo

In regards to face masks short term I agree with the approach but I am concerned it becomes the norm.

my worry is that it’s in place for the next 2/3 months and then the rhetoric will be that we are approaching winter and we should continue doing it to avoid a second peak.  

10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

It's a bit misleading. Intentionally so by the Westminster Government. 252,084 is the number of tests the Government say they have done. But that includes tests posted out but not completed, antibody tests and research tests (eg foe the ONS survey or where they are testing how accurate a new type of test is). 

Westminster no longer report the number of people tested. The best proxy is pillar 1 people tested (through the NHS) and tests processed in pillar 2 (the mobile testing units).  

Those are 27,337 and 50,481 respectively. So the best estimate of people tested yesterday is 77,818 (ie Westminster still isn't meeting it's 100k people tested a day by the end of May target). 

Of those 576 people tested positive. That means roughly 0.7% of people testing positive, which is still a pretty good figure. The equivalent for Scotland only yesterday was 0.1% testing positive. 

29 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

In regards to face masks short term I agree with the approach but I am concerned it becomes the norm.

my worry is that it’s in place for the next 2/3 months and then the rhetoric will be that we are approaching winter and we should continue doing it to avoid a second peak.  

Why is that a worry or concern? It's really not that big a deal to slip a mask on while you're in a shop. If it helps prevent a 2nd wave then I'm happy to wear one until a vaccine is found.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic