Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's okay to point score as long as it's not against the SG...

Just let it go. You were being completely fair in your initial post, don't drag yourself down to a back and forth at that level.

:blah: 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Just let it go. You were being completely fair in your initial post, don't drag yourself down to a back and forth at that level.

No he wasn't. He was using old misleading stats to make a point. The real facts about the UK numbers are horrendous. 20+ thousand deaths in care homes. (1500 in Scotland alone) Don't give it fair, when it's not.

Edited by ri Alban

13 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I know and I don’t feel good about it but that poster continually says I’m just making stuff up and That I have no basis for my previous points.  I don’t mind people disagreeing with me But he just gets to shout all he wants and I felt I need to respond.  I won’t be continuing the conversation I just needed to put that accusation to bed particularly as he always brings it back to me being ‘anti-scottish’. 

apologies for crass approach. 

👍

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No he wasn't. He was using old misleading stats to make a point. The real facts about the UK numbers are horrendous. 20+ thousand deaths in care homes. (1500 in Scotland alone) Do give it fair, when it's not.

He didn't use any stats in his original post that I specifically made reference to. (At least not that I recall)🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Taffin

Gvt

Cumming matter declared closed.

:rofl:

No credible government acts like that.    You have to at least pretend to be subject to scrutiny.    They're a bad joke.

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Gvt

Cumming matter declared closed.

:rofl:

No credible government acts like that.    You have to at least pretend to be subject to scrutiny.    They're a bad joke.

They are a do whatever the **** we want to do.

That's what that 80 majority has done for them treat everybody with complete contempt.

Ffs! There really are some thick ***** in Scotland, who think they can't visit their families, because it says up to 8 people from different households. :facepalm:

Gimme fecking strength. 

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Ffs! There really are some thick ***** in Scotland, who think they can't visit their families, because it says up to 8 people from different households. :facepalm:

Gimme fecking strength. 

You can visit your family. 2 households, up to 8 people, outside, 2m distance and once a day.

Problem?

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

You can visit your family. 2 households, up to 8 people, outside, 2m distance and once a day.

Problem?

Some folk think different households means non family. Fecking idiots. 

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I didn’t write this report and acknowledge and this data is a few weeks old. Just fed up with certain posters accusing me of making things up when there is data out there that reinforces my point.  

Sorry its 60000 not 65000.

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Ah got you. 

The Mighty Thor

Figures for admissions to hospitals & ICU beds showing an upturn in London area. 

Week 22 is 3 weeks after VE day. 

Hopefully not a sign of things to come but an anomaly. 

20200528_182648.jpg

21 minutes ago, graygo said:

Problem?

Do my mistresses count as family?

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Figures for admissions to hospitals & ICU beds showing an upturn in London area. 

Week 22 is 3 weeks after VE day. 

Hopefully not a sign of things to come but an anomaly. 

20200528_182648.jpg

It would fit, and if that's the case its only going to get worse. Hope not though.

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

It would fit, and if that's the case its only going to get worse. Hope not though.

Agreed. 

I genuinely have no idea how they'd sell a second lockdown?

vegas-voss
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

Only if you support Hibs.

I was going to say only if she is part of the family but you beat me to it.

joondalupjambo
32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Remember is this not all guidance and a wise UK government sage recently told us that we can use our judgement when interpreting the guidance.  So I will make judgements based on my cousin visting me in my garden with his girlfriend.   He is family she is not.  What to do eh😃

coconut doug
2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

The Data in that report is not comparing like for like across the different parts of the UK.

As I have said before the error made by the SG was following the advice/lead of the UK Gov.

It's really difficult to treat the data with certainty. It has been collected and collated in different ways but IMO the best approximation for death rates would be found by looking at the number of additional deaths to that expected over the period of the pandemic. A point made by NS today. We can't compare meaningfully because the pandemic is not over yet.

I also agree with your second point which is why i haven't criticised the UK gov and have defended the SG. Their approach is essentially the same. That's why i cant understand or accept that the Scottish government is to blame. Others want to blame the SG with no reasoning to support their claim and then find spurious statistics to support their case ,when challenged. As has been pointed out by several posters the statistics are wrong.

I've said it before.

I am really impressed with the manner in which the Scottish govt have came across.

I'm not in total agreement with all they have done but the competence and clarity shows we have nothing to fear on the world stage.

coconut doug
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

As far as i am concerned you can score as many points as you like but you must expect to get countered especially if you have no facts or reasoning to back up your claims and the evidence such as it is goes against your argument.

There's no back and forth here i just asked him to substantiate his claim and he couldn't. 

3 hours ago, graygo said:

Point scoring over the number of deaths in care homes?

Not aimed solely at you btw.

I don’t think it’s point scoring TBH. Brighton is suggesting the fact that Care Home deaths proportionately in Scotland have been far higher than in the rest of the UK and that this point should be highlighted with the SG (and possibly an inquiry to get to the bottom of why this has happened). 

Others on the thread seem to suggest that raising the topic means you are anti-SG. 

Weakened Offender
On 27/05/2020 at 19:30, Governor Tarkin said:

GT was having internet issues, so you can sook the fat one.

Good man, I knew you'd see sense. 👍

😁

Weakened Offender
40 minutes ago, jake said:

I've said it before.

I am really impressed with the manner in which the Scottish govt have came across.

I'm not in total agreement with all they have done but the competence and clarity shows we have nothing to fear on the world stage.

And they've turned up. Which always helps. 

Better call Saul

The four boats anchored near North Berwick any links to thier origins or any ideas  why they are there !! No space at ports I dare say but looks eary

Edited by Ferris Bueller

3 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Given that in Scotland 43% of deaths were over 85, 76% over 75 and 90% over 65 - is it really a big surprise that so many have died in care homes? Private sector run for profit care homes.

Not gonna make much profit if your “customers” are no longer alive? It is in their financial interest to keep people alive as long as possible (as well as morally obviously). 

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

If that post was from anyone else but you I would give it due. consideration.  

you are a troll, nothing more nothing less, a troll whose every post is designed to offend and shock.

you are pathetic and I’m almost certain you are a Hibs fan here for no other reason than to annoy.  Back to your own board troll.  

Here comes the lip-trembling. 

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Not gonna make much profit if your “customers” are no longer alive? It is in their financial interest to keep people alive as long as possible (as well as morally obviously). 

Have you spent much time in private care homes, mate? They're ghastly places. 

Have an inquiry into the care home deaths by all means but have a big person's conversation about what kind of care for the elderly/end of life care a rich country like ours thinks should exist while you're at it because  what does exist was failing old people and their families long before this started. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

14 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

The four boats anchored near North Berwick any links to thier origins or any ideas  why they are there !! No space at ports I dare say but looks eary

Boat's or Cruise Liners?

If it's Cruise liners, it's the Fred Olsen Balmoral, Boudiccia, Braemar & Black Watch, two have ***ked off for a steep and a bile.

Edited by OBE

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Have an inquiry into the care home deaths by all means but have a big person's conversation about what kind of care for the elderly/end of life care a rich country like ours thinks should exist because it what does exist was failing old people and their families long before this started. 

I haven’t spent any time in Care Homes (private or otherwise). But I can certainly believe they are not great places. 

My point above was really just addressing the insinuation that private for profit care homes would inherently perform worse in terms of mortality rate due to the fact they make profit. From a purely economic perspective that would not really make sense. 

Re-reading my post it could come across as a bit crass, hope it didn’t as that defo was not my intention. 

16 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Oil tankers? You can see if they're any of the ones on here

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-2.8/centery:56.1/zoom:10

Quite possibly just staying outside port area as it'll cost them to go in (as far as I know).

The Mighty Thor
21 minutes ago, Boof said:

Oil tankers? You can see if they're any of the ones on here

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-2.8/centery:56.1/zoom:10

Quite possibly just staying outside port area as it'll cost them to go in (as far as I know).

Total aside but that app is quality. 

I've often wondered whats been anchored off Dunbar 👍

Better call Saul
43 minutes ago, OBE said:

Boat's or Cruise Liners?

If it's Cruise liners, it's the Fred Olsen Balmoral, Boudiccia, Braemar & Black Watch, two have ***ked off for a steep and a bile.

YE cruise liners 

Just now, Ferris Bueller said:

YE cruise liners 

Them's the one's I've mentioned, google them for more gen...👍

Better call Saul
Just now, OBE said:

Them's the one's I've mentioned, google them for more gen...👍

I Never thought of downloading the app.... Jeeezo 

Sooperstar
55 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Number of people tested in the UK has been 'unavailable' for 6 days in a row. 

What's that got to do with cruise liners?

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

YE cruise liners 

They're more off Gullane/Aberlady (unless they've moved since yesterday, didn't notice today).  :thumbsup:

I really appreciate the Scottish governments trust in the population.

And that for me is a political lesson as well as the hopefully health lessons that it is better to decide for your own circumstances.

Sorry for being political but it gives me hope for Scotland despite everything.

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Have an inquiry into the care home deaths by all means but have a big person's conversation about what kind of care for the elderly/end of life care a rich country like ours thinks should exist while you're at it because  what does exist was failing old people and their families long before this started. 

I don't agree that they are all ghastly places. Some are really quite good and offer a fantastic and necesary service. 

Your second point is the important one and prods at the heart of the matter. We as a society have to talk ourselves back around to taking personal responsibility for our oldies in the way that they did for us when we were children and depended upon them. 

These last few months we've left our most vulnerable to the wolves.

When the sums are done the stats across Europe and the wider western world will bear this out. I don't think it's the fault of any one government in particular, rather a failing of society/humanity in general.

We can't let it happen again.

39 minutes ago, jake said:

I really appreciate the Scottish governments trust in the population.

And that for me is a political lesson as well as the hopefully health lessons that it is better to decide for your own circumstances.

Sorry for being political but it gives me hope for Scotland despite everything.

I'd like to think that the majority of the population have appreciated and deserved that trust, jake.

There's a lot to be said for hitting with a straight bat. Governments would do well to bear that in mind. They won't though.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't agree that they are all ghastly places. Some are really quite good and offer a fantastic and necesary service. 

Your second point is the important one and prods at the heart of the matter. We as a society have to talk ourselves back around to taking personal responsibility for our oldies in the way that they did for us when we were children and depended upon them. 

These last few months we've left our most vulnerable to the wolves.

When the sums are done the stats across Europe and the wider western world will bear this out. I don't think it's the fault of any one government in particular, rather a failing of society/humanity in general.

We can't let it happen again.

I don't fully blame the governments either but they should take responsibility for the decisions made and push for an inquiry into why it was so dreadful. 

The whole system seems stacked against looking after your own now, even if you want to. A lot of people have been making a fortune out of care for the elderly since the mid 80s. 

The Internet
8 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

What's that got to do with cruise liners?

:lol: apologies for going off topic. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic