Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No proven vaccines are no good reason? Really! You think that a vaccine that has been tested in weeks, maybe months should be good to go for everyone, whether they agree or not. By all means, you have it, but hey, I'll pass.

And there's no way, if like you, people take the vaccine, there'll be no spread, and you will have no need to worry. 👍

What are you on about? 

Where have I said I would take this before it was proven in clinical trials? 

You are just making stuff up / twisting words to suit your argument. I’ve already agreed / told you I wouldn’t take the vaccine until proven and then you come out with this.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I'll happily take a vaccine that's been through all the trials successfully, but with compulsory vaccination what would you do to people who refused it? Jail? - doesn't solve the problem. Forcible vaccination? - the TV pictures of children being overpowered then vaccinated against their will wont look too clever.

As will I but people who refuse for no legitimate reason should be excluded from society and the benefits that brings such as schooling, police forces etc.

In reality, it would never happen and would be impossible / impracticable to implement but these people want all the benefits of living as part of a community but  try to harm said community by refusing a vaccine is wrong imo.

Weakened Offender
58 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The facts dont annoy me, WO. 👍

😉👍

29 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Need a certain level of uptake in immunization to create heard immunity. If the anti vaxers convinced enough folk that vaccines are some sort of conspiracy to control you then it would lead to the vaccines failing. 

Cheers, must be difficult to test if they work then.  

Bindy Badgy
14 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

As will I but people who refuse for no legitimate reason should be excluded from society and the benefits that brings such as schooling, police forces etc.

In reality, it would never happen and would be impossible / impracticable to implement but these people want all the benefits of living as part of a community but  try to harm said community by refusing a vaccine is wrong imo.

Excluding unvaccinated children from school is something that has started happening in other countries. I would fully support this measure with the usual exemptions provided for people that have legitimate reasons for not vaccinating.

40 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Why would someone deciding not getting vaccinated harm people that do get vaccinated? Am I missing something? 

If someone doesn’t want to get a vaccine then surely it’s only themselves they put at risk? 

AV'ers might aid the mutation process of the original virus.

Could become more virulent or diluted.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Brighton Jambo
28 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I'll happily take a vaccine that's been through all the trials successfully, but with compulsory vaccination what would you do to people who refused it? Jail? - doesn't solve the problem. Forcible vaccination? - the TV pictures of children being overpowered then vaccinated against their will wont look too clever.

Some countries (Australia being one I think, someone posted a link a day or two ago) have a policy where ‘no jab no pay’ So if you don’t have the jab you aren’t eligible for benefits, tax credits etc.

you can bet there will be very draconian rules around international travel if you have Not had the vaccine.

given the emphasis on schools you could also easily see governments saying kids without vaccine aren’t allowed in schools.  

i don’t think anyone should be forced into a vaccine but they should expect their options and liberties to be slightly curtailed if they don’t compared to other that have had it.  

35 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

This is where we disagree. You  are saying people should be allowed to avoid the vaccine, for no good reason, if that’s their choice. The consequences of such a decision are well documented and would result in hundreds of thousands of preventable deaths each year. 

Essentially :

You - I value people’s individual rights to such an extent that I am willing to let their choices cause the preventable deaths of thousands of people.

Me - That’s not right and in such situations people should either be forced to take the vaccine or be excluded from society and the benefits that brings.

You - I’m not against vaccinations. 

I am not arguing YOU or aussieh are against vaccines (I have no idea where that’s came from) but against anti-vaxxers choice to be allowed to keep a deadly virus spreading. 

Their choices don't cause the death though, the virus does. If it's so important why is the flu vaccine given to everyone, thousands die from that every year? I got the flu this year, were my rights infringed? 

Anyway we aren't going to agree on this as I believe in that line of thinking in general rather than just in relation to vaccines. We can persuade, encourage and educate people to do things we want them to but it shouldn't be mandatory. This is of course distinct from stopping people doing things that are harmful of which I'm in agreement with, if people we purposefully spreading a virus I'd expect them to be punished. Simply not preventing something isn't akin to carrying out the act and I think it's a slippery slope where we start saying you must act/consume/think in the way the majority want so long as those actions (not inactions) don't harm others.

Anyway I've taken it off topic (again 😂) and I apologise for that. Let's agree to disagree as in not actually trying to change your mind just sharing my opinion on it.

The Internet

I don't really get the thinking of 'no way am I sticking that vaccine in me' etc, like what do you thinks going to happen to you? 

GorgieFifeLife
40 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Three things man...

1. You did twist what i said. I didn't md mention being the main reason. That would be a different thing to say, ergo, you twisted what i said.

Healthier countries are likely having lower death rates. But lowering the ability to spread it plays a big part. 

2. I didn't accuse you of saying korea destroyed the world. I was using a metaphor 🙄

People got infected here very quickly but it was short lived. 

3. Yes masks are ineffective at stopping people inhaling the virus,  but they are extremely effective at two other things. First they stop people coughing and sneezing out in the open. 

Second they stop you touching your face the reported 23 times an hour.  

Those two benefits can possibly make the world of difference in a densely packed city/country. 

You never answered my question btw 😀

1. You said it's almost as if mask wearing countries are doing better......Masks have got nothing to do with it and is no different to coughing in to a handkerchief and in some cases are contributing to people ignoring the 2m rule and touching there faces more often. 

2. It was a crap metaphor

3. Totally disagree

Your question wasnt worth answering.  I wouldn't have even responded to your initial post had you not finished it by making a derogatory remark about people who dont agree with you, including most of the scientific community! 

I don't governments should force vaccines on people. But like Australia, it should then be a case of no state assistance with the likes of child support, health care and all the rest. No access to schools or state child care. 

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I don't really get the thinking of 'no way am I sticking that vaccine in me' etc, like what do you thinks going to happen to you? 

Nano-surveillance bots to track their every move by pan-dimensional lizard aliens from the planet Jobby.

The Internet
Just now, Victorian said:

Nano-surveillance bots to track their every move by pan-dimensional lizard aliens from the planet Jobby.

Aye but we all know that's happening, I thought there might have been a health reason. 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I can see why people would not want to be vaccinated with a vaccine that has been plucked out of thin air, tested and approved inside 4-6 months. 

Make no mistake about the kind of scientific leap it would be to find a vaccine for any coronavirus, something no one has managed so far, let alone this particular one, and all inside 6 months?

Aye I can see why people would say no thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Their choices don't cause the death though, the virus does. If it's so important why is the flu vaccine given to everyone, thousands die from that every year? I got the flu this year, were my rights infringed? 

Anyway we aren't going to agree on this as I believe in that line of thinking in general rather than just in relation to vaccines. We can persuade, encourage and educate people to do things we want them to but it shouldn't be mandatory. This is of course distinct from stopping people doing things that are harmful of which I'm in agreement with, if people we purposefully spreading a virus I'd expect them to be punished. Simply not preventing something isn't akin to carrying out the act and I think it's a slippery slope where we start saying you must act/consume/think in the way the majority want so long as those actions (not inactions) don't harm others.

Anyway I've taken it off topic (again 😂) and I apologise for that. Let's agree to disagree as in not actually trying to change your mind just sharing my opinion on it.

Interesting you chose the Flu vaccine and not Measles. 

I believe in freedom of choice in general too, but not when it comes to something likes this.

I disagree with your assertion that it is different from people deliberately spreading the virus. Wilful ignorance / stupidity is not an excuse. 

Anyway, I respect your opinion, even if I disagree with it and it’s always healthy to debate these things even if it is slightly off topic.

Brighton Jambo
35 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think the vast majority of people will obey the law and do as advised, a very small minority will not.

I am as fed up as everyone else, but I will stick to the rules as they are at that time.

I think that was the case a month ago but I think the adherence is really starting to fray now.  Around my way there has been almost universal adherence but in this last week it’s been evident people are starting to have the odd person to visit, more people are returning to work and when I went for a walk yesterday there was absolutely loads of people who were evidently not from the same household walking together.

Scotland is almost literally the only country in Europe to not meaningfully lift lockdown in anyway.  That is not a criticism as the data doesn’t support it yet but it does explain why when people are seeing lockdown eased everywhere else and life returning to some sort of normal they start pushing the rules.   

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I can see why people would not want to be vaccinated with a vaccine that has been plucked out of thin air, tested and approved inside 4-6 months. 

Make no mistake about the kind of scientific leap it would be to find a vaccine for any coronavirus, something no one has managed so far, let alone this particular one, and all inside 6 months?

Aye I can see why people would say no thanks. 

Anyone who has seen the film I am legend will know why you might not want to risk an early version of the vaccine.....

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Aye but we all know that's happening, I thought there might have been a health reason. 

There could be a reasonable / semi-reasonable health concern for these people.    But I would have thought any potential side effects risks would be dwarfed by the much more quantifiable benefits of being personally vaccinated in the short to medium term,    as well as the epidemiological benefit of herd immunity to help suppress the reservoir of infection and capacity for problematic mutations.    

The Real Maroonblood
45 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think the vast majority of people will obey the law and do as advised, a very small minority will not.

I am as fed up as everyone else, but I will stick to the rules as they are at that time.

This.

7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Given the government think this is a good diet for vulnerable people shielding at home:

"The parcels that arrived in the borough of Rochdale on Monday, 30 March 2020, however, contained tea bags, cordial, 1 apple, chocolate bars, dry noodles and gingerbread biscuits."

you can see why people might be suspicious of whether they actually have your health at the core of the decisions they take.

^^^ not being entirely serious before anyone spends time to point out the difference, it's meant light heartedly.

Jambo, Goodbye
20 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

1. You said it's almost as if mask wearing countries are doing better......Masks have got nothing to do with it and is no different to coughing in to a handkerchief and in some cases are contributing to people ignoring the 2m rule and touching there faces more often. 

2. It was a crap metaphor

3. Totally disagree

Your question wasnt worth answering.  I wouldn't have even responded to your initial post had you not finished it by making a derogatory remark about people who dont agree with you, including most of the scientific community! 

A handkerchief :rofl: the rest of your sentence is something you have literally never witnessed. Unless you live in Asia? 

My metaphor was fine, you were just daft enough to take it literally. Better watch out for that Earth destroying Korea :rofl:

You can't answer the question. Simple as that. 

Derogatory,  :rofl: 

I acknowledged what the science has said, and made two clear  extra points which are perfectly accurate to the majority of the 4.4 billion in Asia who wear one daily.

UK Government "The evidence suggests that wearing a face covering does not protect you, but it may protect others if you are infected but have not yet developed symptoms."

So aye, Asia is doing fine cos people are protecting others from themselves.  (One of the many diverse things which different countries have done)

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

The Internet
6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think that was the case a month ago but I think the adherence is really starting to fray now.  Around my way there has been almost universal adherence but in this last week it’s been evident people are starting to have the odd person to visit, more people are returning to work and when I went for a walk yesterday there was absolutely loads of people who were evidently not from the same household walking together.

Scotland is almost literally the only country in Europe to not meaningfully lift lockdown in anyway.  That is not a criticism as the data doesn’t support it yet but it does explain why when people are seeing lockdown eased everywhere else and life returning to some sort of normal they start pushing the rules.   

We only did a shan half arsed lockdown in the first place though, and I think we were one of the last in Europe to do so? Folk in Spain were literally not allowed outside for any reason for about 7 weeks. We've done it with a great deal of herd immunity in mind. 'do this... if you can' 'don't do this... unless you have to' etc, rubbish. We're allowed out, you're having a laugh if you think the once a day thing was enforced, and it was only really aimed at reducing the stress on the NHS. 

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

We only did a shan half arsed lockdown in the first place though, and I think we were one of the last in Europe to do so? Folk in Spain were literally not allowed outside for any reason for about 7 weeks. We've done it with a great deal of herd immunity in mind. 'do this... if you can' 'don't do this... unless you have to' etc, rubbish. We're allowed out, you're having a laugh if you think the once a day thing was enforced, and it was only really aimed at reducing the stress on the NHS. 

Maybe but I would say that the majority of people did adhere to the rules in place, my observation is that increasingly people are bending those rules.  

this is all probably irrelevant anyway as the Scottish government will update guidance this week.  

sad as it is I just really want them to open the recycling centres as my house is becoming a literal tip!  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

A_A wehatethehibs

People are confusing "not 100% effective" with "not effective at all".  There's a big difference with those 2 statements. 

Wear a mask or face covering if possible. There is "some benefit" and it is recommended by the Scottish Government.  

32 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

41 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Some countries (Australia being one I think, someone posted a link a day or two ago) have a policy where ‘no jab no pay’ So if you don’t have the jab you aren’t eligible for benefits, tax credits etc.

you can bet there will be very draconian rules around international travel if you have Not had the vaccine.

given the emphasis on schools you could also easily see governments saying kids without vaccine aren’t allowed in schools.  

i don’t think anyone should be forced into a vaccine but they should expect their options and liberties to be slightly curtailed if they don’t compared to other that have had it.  

Thanks for the info, there would still be plenty of anti-vaxers who wouldn't take part, but financial consequences would concentrate minds.

Weakened Offender
19 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Folk in Spain were literally not allowed outside for any reason because large numbers of people took the utter piss when lockdown started. Bars stated open, nightclubs stayed open and large numbers congregated in public spaces defying the measures. The measures were deemed necessary for that reason. Italy too. 

vegas-voss

Sorry catching up on this thread is there a high number of anti vaxers ?

Other than folk that cannot take vaccination of certain types I'm just on about the fruit loops that view them as evil.

27 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Food and pharmacy outlets have been accessible since the begining of the Spanish lockdown.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Other than folk that cannot take vaccination of certain types I'm just on about the fruit loops that view them as evil.

AV'ers evil or the vaccines?

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Not so much here in the UK (although the number of 5g masts being burned down would suggest there’s plenty of fruit loops out there) but certainly in the US. The numbers here are still shockingly high (in relative terms that is) and I reckon that if all of the anti-vaxxers convinced 1 friend not to get the vaccine, we might have a problem.

JudyJudyJudy

I have had the flu jab for over 20 years and not surprisingly haven't had the flu. Touch wood. Im assuming it works. Ill take my chances with a CV vaccine. 

We're going big on the caution.    Big on the divergence from national measures.     At least we'll get a bit of a steer from England.     Hoping to see England's way ahead being successful.

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

So plan on how we ease restrictions will be unveiled on Thursday and we need to wait until 28 May to see any easing of restrictions. Looks like very minimal lifting waste centres and garden centres. Little mention of plans for returning to work etc,.

I struggle more and more with the logic of this lockdown as time goes by,. It certainly doesn’t feel like a particularly effective and efficient method of controlling this thing now.

2 Deaths from COVID in last 24 hours.

Anyone else toiling to see the garden centre thing?

The only part of them that's ever busy is the cafe otherwise they're generally full of old feckers who should be shielding anyways. 

Bizarre that they are top of mind for opening up society

Edited by The Mighty Thor

17 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Not so much here in the UK (although the number of 5g masts being burned down would suggest there’s plenty of fruit loops out there) but certainly in the US. The numbers here are still shockingly high (in relative terms that is) and I reckon that if all of the anti-vaxxers convinced 1 friend not to get the vaccine, we might have a problem.

Im alright with anti vaxxers dying. 

You make your choices in life. Stand by them. 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

So plan on how we ease restrictions will be unveiled on Thursday and we need to wait until 28 May to see any easing of restrictions. Looks like very minimal lifting waste centres and garden centres. Little mention of plans for returning to work etc,.

I struggle more and more with the logic of this lockdown as time goes by,. It certainly doesn’t feel like a particularly effective and efficient method of controlling this thing now.

2 Deaths from COVID in last 24 hours.

The positive tests are down too. I know it's the weekend, but 90 yesterday and 57 today.

I know population wise we are about a tenth of the size of England, but even taken into account the percentage, we seem to be lower than them in everything.

I don't understand why the Scottish government are saying the 'R' is higher here than down there when the figures don't back that up.

England are still getting over 3k positive tests a day

Pasquale for King
22 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Copied from a post on UK Polling report - where the UK stands comparatively

Number tested positive: 4th
Number of deaths: 2nd
Deaths/million: 4th
Population: 21st

Out of 87 countries reporting new cases yesterday, and omitting 3 below 1M population:

New cases yesterday: 6th
New deaths yesterday: 3rd
New cases/million yesterday: 15th

Out of all the nations that reported new deaths yesterday (87), and omitting those with population under one million (3):

New Deaths per Million reported yesterday, ranked in order, all those above average (23 of 84):

1st – 6.90 – UK

2nd – 5.34 – Ecuador
3rd – 3.98 – Peru
4th – 3.97 – Belgium
5th – 3.84 – Brazil
6th – 3.68 – USA
7th – 3.10 – Canada
8th – 3.04 – Ireland
9th – 2.78 – Sweden
10th – 2.58 – Kuwait
11th – 2.53 – Italy
12th – 2.25 – Mexico
13th – 2.22 – Spain
14th – 1.58 – Netherlands
15th – 1.47 – France
16th – 1.41 – Chile
17th – 1.39 – Panama
18th – 1.27 – Portugal
19th – 1.25 – Romania
20th – 1.24 – Moldova
21st – 1.04 – Denmark
22nd – 1.03 – Bolivia
23rd – 1.01 – Armenia

The latest stats

Can’t spin this 🙈

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The only part of them that's ever busy is the cafe otherwise they're generally full of old feckers who should be shielding anyways. 

Worth £1.4b annually to the economy. Green fingers, no thanks 😜.

24 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Going by the anti lockdown protests not many.

In the UK.

Remember Tony Blair didnt get his kids mmr vaccines.

2 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Im alright with anti vaxxers dying. 

You make your choices in life. Stand by them. 

They make that argument themselves.

But if a certain % of the population fails to be vaccinated then the risk remains.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Hello :wavey: But hey, my bad, I thought I was on the politics thread. 👍

I didn't mention politics. In the haste to defend your nationalist doctrine you've made an error in your assumption.

I was commenting on the tone and delivery of Enzo's put down, not the subject matter. Style over substance, if you will. I couldn't care for either of their politics. Too extreme for me.

I often muse over what it must be like being unable to appreciate things from a different angle. You know, how it must feel being locked in to staring directly ahead on account of the piles of ideological chips nestling on either shoulder.

The Mighty Thor

MSM trying like a bear to make something out of the Nike conference in Edinburgh. 

I don't get it. Contact tracing was used, an incident management team was set up and all contacts were traced and dealt with in so much as the information was available. 

What's interesting is that Public Health England were part of the incident management team where it was clear that community transfer was happening. This was weeks before Cheltenham, Liverpool v Atletico & Scotland v France at Murrayfield. 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm quite happy they're opening, personally, and I'm not that much of an old fecker.

I find gardening utterly theraputic. I enjoy working with nature in this small way instead of the general human propensity to work against it.

It's probably kept me sane this last couple of months.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Worth £1.4b annually to the economy. Green fingers, no thanks 😜.

Never thought I'd be the type either, pfk.

You should give it a go.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

In some countries it's like that already, where you need a certificate proving you've had the Yellow Fever vaccine, and if you don't have one, tough you don't get entry into that country.

vegas-voss
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

How many of these tests occurred in the care home setting?

I’m struggling to understand the logic behind this level of lockdown now. 

I think we have to be slow coming out.What is it that is frustrating you work , not seeing family or the whole shebang ?

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm quite happy they're opening, personally, and I'm not that much of an old fecker.

I find gardening utterly theraputic. I enjoy working with nature in this small way instead of the general human propensity to work against it.

It's probably kept me sane this last couple of months.

Never thought I'd be the type either, pfk.

You should give it a go.

I don’t even like touching the dirty tatties in Sainsbury’s 😱,don’t mind watering the grass though 👍🏽. Digging the garden when I was young was good fun though. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

MSM trying like a bear to make something out of the Nike conference in Edinburgh. 

I don't get it. Contact tracing was used, an incident management team was set up and all contacts were traced and dealt with in so much as the information was available. 

What's interesting is that Public Health England were part of the incident management team where it was clear that community transfer was happening. This was weeks before Cheltenham, Liverpool v Atletico & Scotland v France at Murrayfield. 

SNP bad.

Walter Bishop

Has anyone seen Prof. Dolores Cahill talking about this? 

As the weeks go on the more I have no clue who to believe or what to believe. 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

How many of these tests occurred in the care home setting?

I’m struggling to understand the logic behind this level of lockdown now. 

I'm following guidance .

But I do think the resources spent locking down would be better on shielding the high risk.

Hindsight I know.

I think it also shows how difficult it was to call for lockdown in the sense of timing and public patience.

Some lessons to be learned .

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I didn't mention politics. In the haste to defend your nationalist doctrine you've made an error in your assumption.

I was commenting on the tone and delivery of Enzo's put down, not the subject matter. Style over substance, if you will. I couldn't care for either of their politics. Too extreme for me.

I often muse over what it must be like being unable to appreciate things from a different angle. You know, how it must feel being locked in to staring directly ahead on account of the piles of ideological chips nestling on either shoulder.

😄

I enjoyed that a bit much 

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t even like touching the dirty tatties in Sainsbury’s 😱,don’t mind watering the grass though 👍🏽. Digging the garden when I was young was good fun though. 

We have a gardener come every 2 weeks 😂

The amount of lawnmowers I have had over the years as the wife insists on buying the cheap pish one every time we go to buy one is unreal.Getting the garden all landscaped though as soon as we are allowed to get someone in to do it.

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

A handkerchief :rofl: the rest of your sentence is something you have literally never witnessed. Unless you live in Asia? 

My metaphor was fine, you were just daft enough to take it literally. Better watch out for that Earth destroying Korea :rofl:

You can't answer the question. Simple as that. 

Derogatory,  :rofl: 

I acknowledged what the science has said, and made two clear  extra points which are perfectly accurate to the majority of the 4.4 billion in Asia who wear one daily.

UK Government "The evidence suggests that wearing a face covering does not protect you, but it may protect others if you are infected but have not yet developed symptoms."

So aye, Asia is doing fine cos people are protecting others from themselves.  (One of the many diverse things which different countries have done)

You are a clown.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic