Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Contact tracing technology to be piloted in Fife, Highlands and Lanarkshire from tomorrow.

That’s good but it should’ve been started weeks ago.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s good but it should’ve been started weeks ago.

Agreed although it points to an easing of lockdown in an orderly and managed way, which feels a lot better than the chaos that ensued last week.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Agreed although it points to an easing of lockdown in an orderly and managed way, which feels a lot better than the chaos that ensued last week.

Absolutely.
The UK government has said they won’t continue the furlough scheme longer up here if we have to delay the easing of the lockdown.

Montgomery Brewster
43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hamilton is the biggest crook in Scotland.

😂 true

scott herbertson

Copied from a post on UK Polling report - where the UK stands comparatively

Number tested positive: 4th
Number of deaths: 2nd
Deaths/million: 4th
Population: 21st

Out of 87 countries reporting new cases yesterday, and omitting 3 below 1M population:

New cases yesterday: 6th
New deaths yesterday: 3rd
New cases/million yesterday: 15th

Out of all the nations that reported new deaths yesterday (87), and omitting those with population under one million (3):

New Deaths per Million reported yesterday, ranked in order, all those above average (23 of 84):

1st – 6.90 – UK

2nd – 5.34 – Ecuador
3rd – 3.98 – Peru
4th – 3.97 – Belgium
5th – 3.84 – Brazil
6th – 3.68 – USA
7th – 3.10 – Canada
8th – 3.04 – Ireland
9th – 2.78 – Sweden
10th – 2.58 – Kuwait
11th – 2.53 – Italy
12th – 2.25 – Mexico
13th – 2.22 – Spain
14th – 1.58 – Netherlands
15th – 1.47 – France
16th – 1.41 – Chile
17th – 1.39 – Panama
18th – 1.27 – Portugal
19th – 1.25 – Romania
20th – 1.24 – Moldova
21st – 1.04 – Denmark
22nd – 1.03 – Bolivia
23rd – 1.01 – Armenia

The latest stats

Edited by scott herbertson

Nucky Thompson

500 patients getting treated with blood plasma from cured covid survivors tomorrow in the UK. 

It was reported over the weekend that the treatment has been a success in other countries.

Sounds promising. Might have a treatment before a vaccine

46 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

500 patients getting treated with blood plasma from cured covid survivors tomorrow in the UK. 

It was reported over the weekend that the treatment has been a success in other countries.

Sounds promising. Might have a treatment before a vaccine

Here's hoping.

Although this is a worldwide tragedy, I do find some excitement in watching the pace of scientific research with all resources being directed towards this globally. A major breakthrough cannot be far away now.

4 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Who’s this utter ***** on bbc1?

Retired supreme court judge.   Lord Sumption.

hughesie27

Question from the public

Why are France exempt from quarentine measures when entering the UK?

Answer.

We want to keep the R rate down. Boris has spoken to Macron and they'll announce info if and when they have it.

Really helpful answer to a basic question that.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Wasn't aware people with disabilities were any more affected by Covid than the rest of us TBH? The number of teachers who live with people with weak immune systems cannot be huge surely or any bugs they brought home previously would've been a problem? 

I get the impression a lot of whataboutery is either people seeking attention, politically-motivated or just simply wanting to be seen as a special case...(Last comment is not a criticism of you - I realise you are playing devil's advocate and that this is a discussion, but Boris was actually correct in saying that people have to apply common sense...)

" Common sense" and the British public dont go together...one word... Brexit.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Question from the public

Why are France exempt from quarentine measures when entering the UK?

Answer.

We want to keep the R rate down. Boris has spoken to Macron and they'll announce info if and when they have it.

Really helpful answer to a basic question that.

i thought they had removed the exemption for france?

The Mighty Thor

Schools leading the agenda again. 

Be interesting to see how many schools open or how many kids turn upon 1st June.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i thought they had removed the exemption for france?

I think it only comes into play when and if the government actually take control of the country's borders. 

Edit: some journalist just asked when they'd be removing the 14 day quarantine on inbound flights that they haven't even introduced yet.

:muggy:

Edited by The Mighty Thor

joondalupjambo

The UK briefings are now like a game of Where's Wally.

Where's Chris?

Where's Patrick?

6 hours ago, Taffin said:

Nobody should be forcibly made to inject/ingest something into their body that they don't want to. Obviously they should want to but it should remain their choice imo. 

What about other people’s rights not to catch the virus? 

As far as I’m concerned, peoples right to ‘not want to die’ trumps the anti-vaxxers rights. 

10 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

As far as I’m concerned, peoples right to ‘not want to die’ trumps the anti-vaxxers rights. 

I'm not suggesting those who want vaccinated against things can't be 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not suggesting those who want vaccinated against things can't be 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yip, or is he saying the vaccine is a waste of time.

23 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Why would it matter if there's a vaccine? 

Edited by ri Alban

21 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

This is where science should guide.

I think a lot of the anti vaccine sentiment in the US can also be linked with the distrust of the healthcare system.

It doesnt seem to have such a following here maybe that's because we trust our health service more.

I do honestly think there are valid concerns regarding vaccination in the states and the relation with those who supply it.

Maybe someone who lives there can say if I'm off the mark.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Yip, or is he saying the vaccine is a waste of time.

No idea. I'm also not sure people have a right not to catch a virus. 

I'm not anti-vax by any means, but I don't believe anyone should have it forced upon them if they don't want it...regardless of how mental people may think their reasoning is. The flip side of that is they shouldn't be able to prevent others getting vaccinated for things. 

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No idea. I'm also not sure people have a right not to catch a virus. 

I'm not anti-vax by any means, but I don't believe anyone should have it forced upon them if they don't want it...regardless of how mental people may think their reasoning is. The flip side of that is they shouldn't be able to prevent others getting vaccinated for things. 

I would think enough people would take the vaccine in order to wipe it out. Even if 10% didn't take it, what's the chances of them wiping each other out.

Edited by ri Alban

PPE supply still a problem.

R rate still worryingly high.

Infections and hospitalisations falling but only slowly.

NHS only just about still coping.

Deaths falling off a bit quicker, which is the only ray of light.

Bonkers that the hawks in the Cabinet are pressing ahead with a reckless "back to work, plebs" policy.

Anti-vaxxers should be classed as criminals under biological weapons laws.

There is no justification for refusing a vaccine as long as it has undergone the correct testing procedures.

Choosing to become an unshielded carrier of a deadly disease because "mah freedums" is the most irresponsible thing I can think of. 

Smallpox was globally eradicated by non-optional vaccination and it now only exists in government labs.

Type 3 and Type 2 Polio have also been eradicated and Type 1 is close to joining them.

Measles, Mumps and Rubella are heading that way too.

Maybe we can put all the anti-vaxxers on the Isle of Wight, blockade the ports and feed them via airdrops.

Can't have these ticking biological time bombs in the general population.

AlimOzturk

Honestly think the chances of catching Covid 19 now in the Lothians are so slim that if you did then you would have to have been actively seeking a confirmed coronavirus case. 

Theme From Sparta F.C.

While watching footage of the Bundesliga, i noticed that a lot of the staff are wearing face masks with their teams club badge / logo on them.

Could this be a possible product idea for us?

We're all now being asked to wear a mask on public transport, and when we go shopping.

When football gets back up and running here, we're probably going to have to wear a mask at Tynie. So why not a Hearts mask?

To me it's win / win.

We'd be showing our support for our Club, and help to stay safe.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Honestly think the chances of catching Covid 19 now in the Lothians are so slim that if you did then you would have to have been actively seeking a confirmed coronavirus case. 

I know. Makes me wonder too.  If only they could offer testing of the anti body and also the general test then we would know how many are definately affected or have had it.  It could be surprisingly low.

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I know. Makes me wonder too.  If only they could offer testing of the anti body and also the general test then we would know how many are definately affected or have had it.  It could be surprisingly low.

The Roche antibody test has been passed by public health England. Scotland are yet to pass it.

I see England have also now passed a test by Abbott

Edited by Nucky Thompson

Dundee United already have branded face masks. Not sure I would wear a football one... maybe only if we were required to inside Tynecastle.

Each to their own I suppose, I just couldn’t see myself ever wearing a surgical mask with a Hearts badge on it.  

Seems a bit next level jammie wearer.

hughesie27
27 minutes ago, Cade said:

Anti-vaxxers should be classed as criminals under biological weapons laws.

There is no justification for refusing a vaccine as long as it has undergone the correct testing procedures.

Choosing to become an unshielded carrier of a deadly disease because "mah freedums" is the most irresponsible thing I can think of. 

Smallpox was globally eradicated by non-optional vaccination and it now only exists in government labs.

Type 3 and Type 2 Polio have also been eradicated and Type 1 is close to joining them.

Measles, Mumps and Rubella are heading that way too.

Maybe we can put all the anti-vaxxers on the Isle of Wight, blockade the ports and feed them via airdrops.

Can't have these ticking biological time bombs in the general population.

Like it or not. Some people die as a result of vaccines because of unknown conditions or allergys.

I'm definitely not an anti vaxxer but if someone wants to weigh up the miniscule risk of dieing from the vaccine vs the significantly higher risk of dieing from the disease it seeks to shield you from and comes down on the side of the disease then let them. And let their anti vaxxer friends get infected by them as well.

If you are immune then why care about if they aren't?

Edited by hughesie27

5 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Each to their own I suppose, I just couldn’t see myself ever wearing a surgical mask with a Hearts badge on it.  

Seems a bit next level jammie wearer.

looks like millwall were ahead of their time :thumbsup:

wall.jpg

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Like it or not. Some people die as a result of vaccines because of unknown conditions or allergys.

I'm definitely not an anti vaxxer but if someone wants to weigh up the miniscule risk of dieing from the vaccine vs the significantly higher risk of dieing from the disease it seeks to shield you from and comes down on the side of the disease then let them. And let their anti vaxxer friends get infected by them as well.

If you are immune then why care about if they aren't?

My laddie is allergic to the Tetanus jag, he had a severe reaction when he got the jag as part of his pre-school inoculations, doctor said he can't have another tetanus jag, not even a booster, due to the reaction he had to the first one, and they have no idea why his body reacted the way it did.

vegas-voss
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

The UK briefings are now like a game of Where's Wally.

Where's Chris?

Where's Patrick?

Going the same way as the US ones by the sounds of it the advisors more and more shoved into the background.

53 minutes ago, Cade said:

PPE supply still a problem.

R rate still worryingly high.

Infections and hospitalisations falling but only slowly.

NHS only just about still coping.

Deaths falling off a bit quicker, which is the only ray of light.

Bonkers that the hawks in the Cabinet are pressing ahead with a reckless "back to work, plebs" policy.

All those personal business and investments interests have to be looked after.    

A lot of otherwise wealthy people have lost a chunk of their wealth because of this.    Only a tiny number of extremely powerful,  influential people are in the position to apply pressure to force the economy to be the prime consideration.

When the people handling the epidemiological considerations have a lot of personal wealth at risk,   there becomes a conflict of interests.    Certainly a potential conflict.

Being wealthy is not a crime.    Being in power is not a crime.    Being wealthy and in power is not a crime.    But certain,   cataclysmic events lay bare the conflict of interests,   which should be remembered.

hughesie27
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My laddie is allergic to the Tetanus jag, he had a severe reaction when he got the jag as part of his pre-school inoculations, doctor said he can't have another tetanus jag, not even a booster, due to the reaction he had to the first one, and they have no idea why his body reacted the way it did.

Sorry. Mandatory vaccinations say he MUST get the jab! 

Just now, been here before said:

I wonder if they look as good in real life :rofl:

Hearts have been selling those type of things in the shop for a couple of years now.

I've been using one of the Hearts "snood" things as a mask when I've been going out.  Can't find it on the club store, but it looks like this:

Custom-Sun-Proof-Headband-Tube-Bandana-F

With Hearts badges on it.  Is it effective?  Probably not, but it's better than nothing, as it's a good face covering :)

been here before
2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I've been using one of the Hearts "snood" things as a mask when I've been going out.  Can't find it on the club store, but it looks like this:

Custom-Sun-Proof-Headband-Tube-Bandana-F

With Hearts badges on it.  Is it effective?  Probably not, but it's better than nothing, as it's a good face covering :)

Ive got a couple that Ive used for cycling in the winter time for the last few years. £1.50 a pop from Decathlon.

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, hughesie27 said:

Sorry. Mandatory vaccinations say he MUST get the jab! 

Yeh and if it were mandatory he'd probably have died if he'd been forced to have the second one or a booster.

As you said, some people can and do have allergic reactions to vaccines or medicines, penicillin being one such drug, fortunately it's rare but it happens.

vegas-voss
51 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

That's great but we want it to stay like that and that's how it needs to be done slowly.She is announcing plans on Tuesday seemingly so things will start moving after that.Probably along the lines of the Welsh and Northern Ireland  more than the England's but I reckon withing the month all the UK will be pretty much similar in the approach.

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

That's great but we want it to stay like that and that's how it needs to be done slowly.She is announcing plans on Tuesday seemingly so things will start moving after that.Probably along the lines of the Welsh and Northern Ireland  more than the England's but I reckon withing the month all the UK will be pretty much similar in the approach.

Exactly, we have all come to far and sacrificed so much for it all to be thrown away by being hasty and impatient, just hold on a bit longer, because I think we all or certainly most folks realise that if we come out of this lockdown to quick and we get a second spike, then the potential lockdown which will follow will be a real lockdown the likes of which Italy & Spain had where you weren't even allowed out to excercise.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic