Jump to content
mitch41

Levein and MacPhee to Leave on May 31st

Recommended Posts

martoon
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think a couple of Broken Mugs would be more fitting.

 

😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redjambo
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

 

Fair enough. Hopefully, post 31 May, there will be no issue. A sound appointment to replace Levein would certainly allay any fears or suspicions. You're right. Moving on benefits us all.

 

I would welcome such an appointment. However, given the current crisis and financial situation, it may take longer than we would like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tcjambo
12 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Sad how Levein has totally destroyed his reputation at the club after the good work done up until Robbie left.

Seems incredible to think at one point last season,  people were talking of a title challenge. 

He'll point to injuries as an excuse but the overall recruitment, tactics and coaching have been woeful under him as manager.

I wonder if he regrets Jack Ross leaving. as his departure resulting in Cathro being the chosen head coach is a sliding doors moment for me.

 

Don't get the loathing of MacPhee as he was never the one calling the shots and at least of some his recruitment was decent (albeit folk he knew from Northern Ireland).

I do find his wearing of a suit when interim manager a heinous crime though.

Totally agree with this apart from the Jack Ross bit since his departure might have been totally justified.

 

My take is that Levein's mistakes were generally linked to trying to pull off masterstrokes - almost all of which backfired from the Cathro appointment and signing of players with potential/pedigree but either had been been recently injured (Naysmith, Wighton, Damour, White, Clare)  or got subsequently injured (Uche, Souttar, Haring, Washington, Smith, Halkett, Djoum, Garuccio). I don't resent him for trying that because having ambition means taking chances.

 

However, I do think our first team coaches must have left a lot to be desired if they couldn't get us in the top half of the table given the players at their disposal.

 

I am sad rather than angry but I still think it will be quite a while before we will be wanting to see CL back at Tynecastle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinRummy
14 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

He was nowhere near the 1st team and was banished from Riccarton when the squads were there 

There have been numerous rumours of him contacting the players or simply bumping into them. Could be all lies but there’s a reason clubs, generally, pay off and get rid of managers rather than have them hang around doing ‘important work’ on the backshift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, DH1986 said:


In a strange twist of fate keeping them has actually saved the club money.....both will have been furloughed.

We can only hope so, that’s £20k saved if they were 🤞.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martoon
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

I would welcome such an appointment. However, given the current crisis and financial situation, it may take longer than we would like.

 

Aye. No great rush to make that appointment under the circs but when the time is right...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood

Brilliant news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Famous 1874

Excellent. Budge and John Murray next then we’ll really be on the up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eyesandears
37 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Thanks for all your work and efforts. Both leave with my best wishes, and thanks. Just didn’t work out really.

That gave me a laugh. "Just didn't work out really." 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

 

Followed by "I'm not going back until Levein's name is removed from the Main Stand plaque".

 

Maybe some recognition for the fans who have pumped millions into it rather than someone who has pounced of the Club for years without bringing any real success to it, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agentjambo

John murray is due to retire this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Des Lynam
45 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Thanks for all your work and efforts. Both leave with my best wishes, and thanks. Just didn’t work out really.


I agree. He didn’t set out to do an horrendous job and he’ll have to live with those consequences. A truly gifted player and it’s sad the way things have turned out. 
 

Hopefully my hate for him starts to recede over time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Special Officer Doofy
44 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

I wouldn't be as lenient as you (prepare for pelters, by the way :D), but I was just thinking that on a personal level I hope that they both find something in life that they enjoy doing and are successful at, as I wish almost all people. I just want it to be away from Hearts, as it will be very soon.


I’ve never been one to hold back my honest opinion, even if I’m in the minority. Both have been good and bad. It’s time for them to go, but I’ve never been comfortable with the personal nature of the abuse directed towards Levein. Both men did their best, and this time around, it didn’t work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells
45 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

I wouldn't be as lenient as you (prepare for pelters, by the way :D), but I was just thinking that on a personal level I hope that they both find something in life that they enjoy doing and are successful at, as I wish almost all people. I just want it to be away from Hearts, as it will be very soon.

 

That rules out the Bookies then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MTS1874

The best centre back that I’ve seen play for our club, unfortunately he’s failed miserably and I’m glad to see the back of him and his blueprint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upgotheheads
8 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:


I’ve never been one to hold back my honest opinion, even if I’m in the minority. Both have been good and bad. It’s time for them to go, but I’ve never been comfortable with the personal nature of the abuse directed towards Levein. Both men did their best, and this time around, it didn’t work.

 

 

Fair comment. Having watched Craig Levein throughout his football career, and especially as a player, I think it's tragic that he's leaving in these circumstances though. I actually thought that McPhee was a useful guy to have around, don't think he'll have any trouble finding employment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wavydavy
1 hour ago, martoon said:

 

You really think Ann will cease asking her bff for advice even after May 31.

 

I don't. No neurosis or paranoia, red. I just don't believe her bond with and reliance on CL will end just because his contract ends. 

 

@Last Laff's scenario playing out would not surprise me either.

 

 

 

 

I have to say I can't disagree with you, old habits die hard as they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wavydavy
21 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

John murray is due to retire this summer. 

 

He's been retired for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mitch41
1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

What a pile of manure.

Forgot about John Murray until Brave Heart reminded me.

You still can't have a CEO who hasn't a scooby about the " Core Business" though.

 

43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He told certain players in person that they were surplus to requirements, he was chatting to players in the corridors which I know for a fact.

What a shambles we have been behind the scenes. When FOH take over we’ll need a CEO solely to deal with all football issues. 
From 1st team players, management, coaching, scouting, medical, and all the way down to the kids plus kit, pitch’s, Academy.

An ex-player or person who is already good at their job with another team would be ideal.
As for the non football side of the business we’d need an experienced or even retired business person to deal with the day to day running and planning of the club from finances, suppliers, employees, shop, bars, functions, offices, maintenance for buildings, grounds etc, and dealing with all non footballing matters. The size of our club needs to have people who are experts in their field as the mistakes of the past must not happen again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7628mm
3 hours ago, DH1986 said:


In a strange twist of fate keeping them has actually saved the club money.....both will have been furloughed.

 

In pure monetary terms this may be correct. However how much more damage has he done and at what cost to the club in the 7-8 months that he has remained at the club doing "important stuff" for our current owner?

IMHO at the very least he should have been sent on "gardening leave" when he was sacked as manager and DoF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
3 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Two out of three aint to bad so far.

 

Danger is he suddenly makes a reappearence once the Season Ticket money is in.

 

Or maybe in a couple of years when we get back into the premiership. That's what he'll be waiting for.

 

Better hold off on the celebrations for a bit.

 

:facepalm:

 

:sarcasm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboozy
4 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

Aldi's

😂👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eyesandears
1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

John murray is due to retire this summer. 

I don't think you can force someone to retire nowadays due to their age. If he wants to stay he can otherwise she will need to make an exit offer to him and settle with him amicably or create a situation where his role becomes redundant. It has to be a genuine redundancy though and I think that would be difficult as a club like ours should always need a Head of Recruitment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Pilmuir said:

Yes, although CL could have helped AB by doing the decent thing and leaving earlier. His continued presence fuelled a lot of the misinformation about his departure.

 

While I believed he should have been out the door the day he was sacked he wasn't and we were told he'd leave at the end of his contract during which time he'd do this and that at the Academy. I wasn't going to get in a tizzy over that decision as some clearly did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agentjambo
13 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

I don't think you can force someone to retire nowadays due to their age. If he wants to stay he can otherwise she will need to make an exit offer to him and settle with him amicably or create a situation where his role becomes redundant. It has to be a genuine redundancy though and I think that would be difficult as a club like ours should always need a Head of Recruitment. 

What I was meaning is that he was planning to retire this year...his choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TWF

 

CL and AM will shortly be confined to the history book or rubbish bin, whichever you consider appropriate.

Instead of dwelling in the "past" let us move forward and set out a "plan" for the future

FOH now do your best. Appoint Phil Anderton as CEO, move AB to a Marketing and Business Development role, get rid of the remaining dross - Murray, Gallagher, Fox. Retain services of DS and his assistants. Embark on a thorough selective cull of the playing staff, jointly by PA and DS, and introduce, a selective recruitment drive, also jointly by PA and DS.

Despite many interesting suggestions from supporters, it is best to allow culling and recruitment issues be determined by those who are better equipped to do so- PA and DS

.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
East Lothian Jambo
2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Thanks for all your work and efforts. Both leave with my best wishes, and thanks. Just didn’t work out really.

This is really quite tragic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hawaii

So all Bazza has done is confirm a contract end date without any quotes from Hearts and folk are taking that as what will happen? Still think there may well be twists and turns to come.

 

If Murray is retiring this year then I assume that they have had succession planning in place and we have a new guy ready to slot in seamlessly??

 

The report into the football department must make cracking reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John mcCartney
11 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

This is really quite tragic 


fecking incredible,he has to be at it surely eh

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
East Lothian Jambo
5 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:


fecking incredible,he has to be at it surely eh

 

Who knows. Maybe attention seeking 

 

Levein couldn't have done any more damage than he has 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

Good bye and good luck. 

 

The personal abuse hurled at CL in particular by Hearts fans was poor. 

 

Shame we couldn't win that sc last season. 

Don't think I've wanted anything more in my adult life. End the  treble treble, 🖕 to lennon and Craig would have had his trophy. 

Alas, not to be. 😢

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
5 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Who knows. Maybe attention seeking 

 

Levein couldn't have done any more damage than he has 

 

Technically he could. 

You are incorrect. 

He could have performed worse in the lc this season and left us bottom. 

That would have been more damage. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John mcCartney

At it bigtime

Lets not spend any more time on that,lets look forward to the great day.
A wonderful day it will be and I will certainly be celebrating the departure of the ogre in particular,
along with thousands of Hmfcites.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stirlo

Mcphee's probably a nice guy but he strikes me as one who talks a good game. When he took interim charge I seem to recall him going on about his success rate previously - but his brief time in charge was hardly impressive results-wise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eyesandears
50 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

What I was meaning is that he was planning to retire this year...his choice.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bunny Munro

Such a strange story.

We build a 80% squad for the championship and got them to gel. Dismantled them a year later with a hit or miss success rate. 

 

Robbie made s lot of poor decisions the following summer, then scampered when he realised, Cathro came in, Paterson got injured, and we've been freefalling ever since.

 

So many players came in, emptied then replaced by worse. So many players have went backwards, gotten worse, living off past glories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Special Officer Doofy
44 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:


fecking incredible,he has to be at it surely eh

 


No, I just hold a different opinion. I only saw his post because you quoted him, as I have him ignore, but If Spencer finds it so difficult dealing with other people’s opinions, then surely he’s better off just not rejoining the same forum every couple of months under a different username to rage about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cosanostra

A pair of complete chancers who should have been removed long ago. They should be embarrassed with their contributions and damage done to this club.

CL has completely destroyed his reputation with the club and Austin was promoted way beyond his ability IMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randy Marsh
34 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good bye and good luck. 

 

The personal abuse hurled at CL in particular by Hearts fans was poor. 

 

Shame we couldn't win that sc last season. 

Don't think I've wanted anything more in my adult life. End the  treble treble, 🖕 to lennon and Craig would have had his trophy. 

Alas, not to be. 😢

 

 

 

Personal abuse?   He got off lightly considering how poor the results were for such a long time.  The only time a seen some abuse directed towards him was at the SC tie away at Partick Thistle last season.  The rest of the time the Hearts supporters were so bored they couldn't even be bothered getting upset at the matches.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

 

What a shambles we have been behind the scenes. When FOH take over we’ll need a CEO solely to deal with all football issues. 
From 1st team players, management, coaching, scouting, medical, and all the way down to the kids plus kit, pitch’s, Academy.

An ex-player or person who is already good at their job with another team would be ideal.
As for the non football side of the business we’d need an experienced or even retired business person to deal with the day to day running and planning of the club from finances, suppliers, employees, shop, bars, functions, offices, maintenance for buildings, grounds etc, and dealing with all non footballing matters. The size of our club needs to have people who are experts in their field as the mistakes of the past must not happen again.

 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, eyesandears said:

I don't think you can force someone to retire nowadays due to their age. If he wants to stay he can otherwise she will need to make an exit offer to him and settle with him amicably or create a situation where his role becomes redundant. It has to be a genuine redundancy though and I think that would be difficult as a club like ours should always need a Head of Recruitment. 

Depends if he’s out of contract, if he is then it’s maybe better to say you’re retiring. We do need a head of recruitment, someone far more competent than that useless *****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gashauskis9

They can have Damour as a leaving present.  He was their project after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neilnunb
5 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

They can have Damour as a leaving present.  He was their project after all. 

 

Chuck in Wighton. A Levein fantasy project for about 6 years! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Fonz
3 hours ago, tcjambo said:

I am sad rather than angry but I still think it will be quite a while before we will be wanting to see CL back at Tynecastle.

I doubt he’d have the nerve to show his face at Tynecastle again, at least on a match day. Wouldn’t be surprised if Budge had him up for a coffee and a chat though. 
 

With any luck he’ll not be back in the building, that being said Pieman still goes to games. Some people have just got no shame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAl
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We can only hope so, that’s £20k saved if they were 🤞.

Every employer will have "saved" money with the furloughing of employees 🤞.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tcjambo
5 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

I doubt he’d have the nerve to show his face at Tynecastle again, at least on a match day. Wouldn’t be surprised if Budge had him up for a coffee and a chat though. 
 

With any luck he’ll not be back in the building, that being said Pieman still goes to games. Some people have just got no shame. 

He was a great player and a good manager first time round. People need to have perspective and over time if we bounce back the anger will dissipate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Special Officer Doofy
3 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

I doubt he’d have the nerve to show his face at Tynecastle again, at least on a match day. Wouldn’t be surprised if Budge had him up for a coffee and a chat though. 
 

With any luck he’ll not be back in the building, that being said Pieman still goes to games. Some people have just got no shame. 


I think you’ll probably find Craig is welcome back at Tynecastle any time he pleases. He’s put most of his life in to HMFC and I for one would like to see him come back as a supporter. His latest spell was more down than up, but he’s a Hearts man, and will not be chased out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells
2 hours ago, graygo said:

 

Or maybe in a couple of years when we get back into the premiership. That's what he'll be waiting for.

 

Better hold off on the celebrations for a bit.

 

:facepalm:

 

:sarcasm:

Your one of the ejects, on here, that backed Levein to the bitter end whilst everybody else could see the  footballing side of the Club was going down the pan.

Your've no creditabilty left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dusk_Till_Dawn

I can rationalise Levein’s involvement on the basis that he was once a great player and his first spell as manager was a credible one. That mitigates some of the damage done.

 

McPhee, on the other hand, is an imposter like very few I’ve seen at our club. The image he’s built for himself is the emperors new clothes. His caretaker spell showed him up to a comical degree (but even then, some of the hard of thinking on JKB were trying to tout him for the DOF’s job :rofl:I doubt any fanbase tries to accommodate failure like ours).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinRummy

All I’ve go to add is giving him two jobs was a complete disaster and inexcusable imo. We had a plan, had a structure. There was to be DoF and a manager. There’s no longer that structure when you give the same person both jobs. We then have to stand him down from both roles, leaving two huge gaps at a critical time in the season, one of which is still to be filled and the other filled by Austin for far too long. Very poor decision making for far, far too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...