World Cup Rewinds

muldoon74

Saturday afternoon, 2pm bbc1. This has become my Saturday football fix during lockdown. (I'm off every Saturday). 

The 1 question that has arisen from watching this is... How the hell have Holland never won a world Cup? They've had some cracking teams over the years but just haven't been able to do it when it matters. 

Incredibly gifted individuals aswell but individuals who can play as a team. 

6 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Saturday afternoon, 2pm bbc1. This has become my Saturday football fix during lockdown. (I'm off every Saturday). 

The 1 question that has arisen from watching this is... How the hell have Holland never won a world Cup? They've had some cracking teams over the years but just haven't been able to do it when it matters. 

Watched the Holland Argentina game from 98 Bergkamp at his best 👍

Is the England v Scotland game from Euro96 not on today?

The morra at 645pm on ITV4.

Edited by ri Alban

21 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Watched the Holland Argentina game from 98 Bergkamp at his best 👍

Some shot from Batistuta off the post.. 

Also, exactly the sort of team I'm talking snout. Bergkamp, kluivert, both de boers, numan... 

colinmaroon
7 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Defence!

Over the years, always a bit fragile at the back when put under real pressure.

Been enjoying the rewind games..

82  world cup was fantastic.

Games must have kicked of around 4.00 pm

Always seemed to be on when i got in from school.

Brazil v Italy ( 1/4 finals?)  Probably one of the best games of football  i had  ever watched.

Like everybody else in those days,was gutted when Brazil  got beat,but that was a n exciting itaiian side to watch.

44 minutes ago, Tott said:

Been enjoying the rewind games..

82  world cup was fantastic.

Games must have kicked of around 4.00 pm

Always seemed to be on when i got in from school.

Brazil v Italy ( 1/4 finals?)  Probably one of the best games of football  i had  ever watched.

Like everybody else in those days,was gutted when Brazil  got beat,but that was a n exciting itaiian side to watch.

38 years on and there's still a part of me that can't quite believe Brazil didn't win that World Cup. It felt inevitable at the time. 

The Italy 3 Brazil 2 game is probably still the best football match I've ever seen on TV. 

The Italians, ultimately, deserved to win the trophy after that win. 

Edited by martoon

ArcticJambo

Tuned in during Eng-Col ... how good did it look! Just the grass I mean; christ I almost jizzed in my underpants! :shockio:

Angel eyes
9 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

Hi Scotland v Brazil 1974 get the youngsters to watch this. BBC Scotland hd. 

Billy Bremner did he no sclaff the baw just past the post in that game? 

Just now, norrie1952 said:

Settling down to enjoy it seems like yesterday Haha 

Yes

Amazing isn't it. 

My favourite Scotland game. 

norrie1952
14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes

Amazing isn't it. 

My favourite Scotland game. 

It certainly is my friend 

17 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Holland bricked it in the 2010 final. 

They were a whisker away though - that save late on from Casillas with his foot was incredible.

In truth though Holland did well to make the final in 2010. The team that won the Euros in 1988 was incredible - they never had a better chance than with the likes of Rijkaard, Van Basten and Gullit. 

Just now, stirlo said:

They were a whisker away though - that save late on from Casillas with his foot was incredible.

In truth though Holland did well to make the final in 2010. The team that won the Euros in 1988 was incredible - they never had a better chance than with the likes of Rijkaard, Van Basten and Gullit. 

Hit the post in last minute of 90 before extra time versus Argentina in 78 was closest Holland got. 

3fingersreid
40 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Billy Bremner did he no sclaff the baw just past the post in that game? 

He did , I’m sure it was Arthur Montford who was commentating and said 

“ oh Billy how could you ?”

3fingersreid

It’s a strange starting position David Harvey takes up at corner kicks 

Jardine and Hay were especially good.    Bremner,  Morgan,  Holton,  McGrain,  Buchan good as well.    

Referee  :rofl:

57 minutes ago, Crete said:

If only Scotland had a team like that now .🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

What's the point of dwelling on the past

Georgecowie

I was only 3 at the time but I must have backed over the bookings. The guy pereira played the referee very well, to be generous. Good watch, didn't realise davie hay was so good. 

10 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

He did , I’m sure it was Arthur Montford who was commentating and said 

“ oh Billy how could you ?”

The Zaire manager was a Yugoslav. :D 9-0 they won.

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, graygo said:

We found a new way to fail in 74, knocked out in the first round and unbeaten in our 3 games. ☹️

It’s mental.  Only lost 1 goal as well.  

What a team that was though.  When Lorimer hit the ball it stayed hit.  Bremner bossed it.  Jordan won everything in the air.  

Shame Harvey didn’t hold the gloves for longer, because for me Scotland’s decline dovetailed with Rough becoming number 1.  I work with a Thistle fan who keeps telling me he was incredible for them, but for Scotland he was beyond shite imo.  If the pass back rule was introduced in the 70s, Rough would have been a lower league keeper at best.  I’ve never seen a keeper struggle so much with the fundamentals of goalkeeping (positioning, handling, diving etc).  Most goals Scotland conceded with him in the sticks involve him standing in the middle of the goal, static, watching the ball fly past him.

Angel eyes
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

One of the Zaire players did they not break from the wall at a free kick against us or maybe Brazil before the ref blew his whistle and get booked everybody just stood and looked at him and thought what a......... ? 😃

Салатные палочки
4 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

One of the Zaire players did they not break from the wall at a free kick against us or maybe Brazil before the ref blew his whistle and get booked everybody just stood and looked at him and thought what a......... ? 😃

I think they did it twice against Brazil and once against us. A classic scene from Nick Hancock's football nightmares :laugh2:. They must have thought it was just a free for all!

13 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

Brazil aren't messing about with the tackles.

They were a bunch of thugs that year! Very un-Brazil like.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

To put Scotland out on goal difference! ☹️

19 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

To put Scotland out on goal difference! ☹️

Oh how I wish to be knocked out on goal difference, these days. :(

Edited by ri Alban

It’s a pity we had Zaire first. We ended up playing too conservatively and looked as if we were happy just to win our opening group match. That came back to bite us. 

17 minutes ago, leginten said:

It’s a pity we had Zaire first. We ended up playing too conservatively and looked as if we were happy just to win our opening group match. That came back to bite us. 

Conservatively to the stage we stopped trying to score and started playing keepie uppie in the middle of the park. ☹️ 

Still a bit of a pet hate of mine, if you're on top keep trying to score should be what you're doing, cup final 2012 for instance.

It's why I've never joined in with the "olé" chants.

Edited by graygo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

God Save the Queen

Just watching this now,  the players faces? GIFs well before their time 

colinmaroon
21 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

0-0

One of the most exciting 0-0 matches I've seen.  Looked even better than it did at the time.

Love the tackling and, who was it invented gegenpressing again?

Edited by colinmaroon

gashauskis9
13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Just watching this now,  the players faces? GIFs well before their time 

Morgan looked like he was going to kill someone.

On 18/05/2020 at 09:26, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

They were a bunch of thugs that year! Very un-Brazil like.

Yeah they went from being the greatest Brazil team ever (arguably greatest ever football team) to worst Brazil team of all time in space of 4 years

On 17/05/2020 at 23:27, gashauskis9 said:

It’s mental.  Only lost 1 goal as well.  

What a team that was though.  When Lorimer hit the ball it stayed hit.  Bremner bossed it.  Jordan won everything in the air.  

Shame Harvey didn’t hold the gloves for longer, because for me Scotland’s decline dovetailed with Rough becoming number 1.  I work with a Thistle fan who keeps telling me he was incredible for them, but for Scotland he was beyond shite imo.  If the pass back rule was introduced in the 70s, Rough would have been a lower league keeper at best.  I’ve never seen a keeper struggle so much with the fundamentals of goalkeeping (positioning, handling, diving etc).  Most goals Scotland conceded with him in the sticks involve him standing in the middle of the goal, static, watching the ball fly past him.

You must have been gutted when he signed for the hobos