SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

It is, partially due to constant league and cup wins and Euro qualification, which is aided by the smaller league/4 games. 

Chanpions League money is the obvious one but i also feel the old firm really learned to market themselves better and have generated millions on the back of their "rivalry".

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Riccarton3
2 minutes ago, David Black said:

I watch a lot of Spanish football when I am there, and whilst many games are meaningless in the sense the clubs are not going to win the league or be relegated, they are not meaningless in that they still give a high standard of entertainment. It allows them to play youngsters who can develop their skills unlike the SPFL. 

Surely the game is about being entertained. The meaningless games argument is the tool of anyone not wanting some already pitiful amount of money diluted imo.

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Chanpions League money is the obvious one but i also feel the old firm really learned to market themselves better and have generated millions on the back of their "rivalry".

Yes, there's obviously not just one thing but  an accumulation of different ones, all conspiring to keep the 'top two' as the top two.  A lot of it is our own* making as well, which just makes it more galling. 

*Own being all the other clubs and self preservation society that has led to smaller clubs relying on selling a majority of their stadium to away fans. 

19 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The hatred he has for us is working in our favour, but equallt if he is allowed to publish bull and make it all up and scaremongering, we can do the same,  Ban Redtop Journos for life we dont need them anymore, the print papers are dead anyway?

Also by clicking onto their website it triggers the advertising owls to chalk up their add viewing figures which helps assess their worthyness for advertising space?  So if there is a story then there should be a single collective thread for that purpose with the story copied and pasted, and we refer to that, so that the paper only gets 1 hit rather than a couple of hundred?

So keeff a "SOURCE" close to JKB says your wife is sleeping with your brother....any comment!  see its easy and I dont even know if you are married or even have a brother, what does it matter in the made up world......so stop writting bollox!

Before Wee fergus came in Celtic were an hour from being no celtic,  Before Craig with his off the radar lira came in There was no Rangers, now there is just a fake one.....and fact......where was the collective 100's and thousands OF fans ready to save their clubs?  Where will they be again????????  Where will your rag be this time next year, selling sheds and reporting on missing cats?

I've seen other forums do that, sticky a football article thread near the top. I certainly would not like to contribute to the red tops getting any more advertising than necessary. 

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Surely the game is about being entertained. The meaningless games argument is the tool of anyone not wanting some already pitiful amount of money diluted imo.

I would rather watch Hearts thumping some dross, than being thumped by Celtic.

One is certainly more entertaining than the other

1 hour ago, Gilamas said:

An interim interdict is a temporary interdict; only an interdict (Scots law version of the English “injunction”) is permanent. An interim interdict can be granted if the court agrees there is a primary facie case (ie a case that looks on the face if it to be valid) and where the pursuer would face harm if the action were not ceased.

Yes I know what an interim interdict is. Having successfully pursued one many times.

3 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Yes, there's obviously not just one thing but  an accumulation of different ones, all conspiring to keep the 'top two' as the top two.  A lot of it is our own* making as well, which just makes it more galling. 

*Own being all the other clubs and self preservation society that has led to smaller clubs relying on selling a majority of their stadium to away fans. 

Unfortunately it's always been this way and I've been a supporter for over 50 years. 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

To quote Provan,  who would have believed it,  its time for the SFA to step in, strongly support/advise,  on how 42 clubs survive,  and that may mean sacrifice for some to survive. 

For example,  you start the season and can't finish it,  it is off to the bottom League. Sweeten that a little with a system that it only takes 2 years and not 3 to get to the Premier. 

Glad to hear Maxwell talk innovation and difference. 

Perhaps as Tache had said they were hoping the clubs would sort it themselves,  they never will 

Trouble is, Lawwell has already told the SFA they have no jurisdiction over “big clubs” like his...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/43016452

Everyone just shrugged and carried on as though this was a perfectly normal thing for a member club to come out with.

Nookie Bear
13 minutes ago, David Black said:

I watch a lot of Spanish football when I am there, and whilst many games are meaningless in the sense the clubs are not going to win the league or be relegated, they are not meaningless in that they still give a high standard of entertainment. It allows them to play youngsters who can develop their skills unlike the SPFL. 

Playing Devil's Advocate but, according to Transfermarkt, the SPFL has a lower average age of starting XIs is less than La Liga.

I'll not compare the quality though 😄

SectionDJambo
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

There hasn't been another team win the league since 1985 due to the money imbalance. Nothing to do with the size of the leagues. 

You're right.

Prior to the cash that Marlborough gave Rangers to spend, along with empoying Holmes and Souness, the idea of the 10 team league did what it was designed to do. It was hoped that reducing from 18 to 10 teams would give more competition to Celtic and Rangers, which it did, to a certain degree as shown by the championship wins of Aberdeen and Dundee United, and our great challenge in 85/86. It also found out clubs like Hearts and Hibs, who had been happy to drift along in the 60s and 70s., and had to up their game.

As soon as Rangers started spending millions, which Celtic tried to match but couldn't, the competitive nature of the 10 team league diminished. Other clubs tried to spend more on wages and, coupled with mandatory ground improvements costs, many got into severe financial trouble.

The reduced league, in my opinion, stifles competition due to having to play Celtic and Rangers 4 times. Too many points at stake against 2 teams. Beating them once, if you play them 4 times, obviously has less impact than beating them once when only playing them twice. 

This would seem to me to be a perfect time to trial an 18 team top league again, given the number of clubs who seem to want to be mothballed, and the bigger clubs on the fringes of promotion needing a financial boost at this time. It has little chance of happening due to the fear of change, even though the fear of changing nothing should be dominant in the minds of those clubs who know they are in big financial trouble. 

For those "meaningless" games between mid table clubs, they could try to market and price those games to encourage attendance with families who won't turn up for the bigger games, due to intimidating atmospheres. Creative thinking to improve business, in other words, instead of relying on the old firm £.

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, gavin1985 said:

On the topic of 16/18 teams once home and away bringing meaningless games. How about watching the same game 3 or 4 times in the league? 
Can I remember an 18 team league, no because I’m only 34. 
Do I want to only have a league where we play each other 3 or 4 times in a season, no I don’t! 

Persoanlly I’d rather have these “meaningless” games than watch Hearts play Rangers, Celtic,

Hibs 3/4 times a season.

Lets look at Spain, dominated by Barca and Real Madrid yet have a league of 20 teams. How many “meaningless “ games are there in that league??

Change the league to once home and away or I’m done for good.

Rant over haha

You’d rather watch Hearts play Arbroath a couple of times than a couple of extra games against Hibs?  Each to their own!

Not sure whet you were trying to say about the Spanish league.  As it has 20 teams it has loads of meaningless games.  Were you using that as a good example or bad example?  You are advocating a larger league but then highlighting a league that has more meaningless games than we do. 

5 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Exactly, couldn’t agree more! I’d rather play and beat QotS than get thumped by Celtic for the umpteenth time in the season 

Much I assume all teams in La Liga are happy to play Barca and Real Madrid only twice a season! 

16, 16, 16.

3 leagues.

If they can’t start Aug/Sep then mothball 2 & 3 until a Medical review in late October for a potential start in January.

Premiership as is with top 4 from championship added. 
6 remaining championship joined by 8 from league 1. Remaining league 1 clubs joined by league 2 clubs & 2 Junior clubs.

If you look at how that splits out, at least for the upcoming season, leagues 2 & 3 become quite regional (less travelling).

As it stands now with 12 Premiership Clubs joined by top 4 Championship clubs there could potentially be
Celtic v Rangers
Hearts v Hibs
Dundee v Utd
ICT v Ross county
Motherwell v Hamilton
Killie v Ayr
And even kiddy on rivalries like Dundee v Aberdeen, Dundee v st Johnstone, utd v Aberdeen, utd v st Johnstone, hearts v Aberdeen.

Then if starting in Aug/Sep or January, a revised 16 team championship would have Pars, Raith, East Fife and Arbroath, Montrose plus others like Falkirk, Partick, QoS.

If your a supporter of a smaller club, how many of those local rivalries are meaningless to you?

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You’d rather watch Hearts play Arbroath a couple of times than a couple of extra games against Hibs?  Each to their own!

Not sure whet you were trying to say about the Spanish league.  As it has 20 teams it has loads of meaningless games.  Were you using that as a good example or bad example?  You are advocating a larger league but then highlighting a league that has more meaningless games than we do. 

Yes I would actually rather watch Hearts play Ayr twice a season than Hibs, Celtic and Rangers 4 times a season. 

The whole point is every top bigger league has it’s meaningless games, which I’m trying to use to shut the arguement down of “but the meaningless games”.

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

At present Hearts vs Celtic is meaningless, apart from cup games.

Play them 4 times per season and get rumped stupid usually in 3 of them, and none of them have any real bearing on out league position, or theirs

Ethan Hunt
2 hours ago, jock _turd said:

I really doubt that the will lose any sleep over Hearts not being in the SPL. If they even had a preference we would not be where we are  at now. Don't get me wrong I like what you are saying but if Sky really do want Hearts in the SPL surely they would have stated that at the outset ? I don't think they gave it much thought I think that they were happy with Dundee Utd coming up to take our place and perhaps thought that if Utd made an impact they would cover any possible loses. 

Sky, like thousands of other companies, will be doing everything they can to attract as many customers as possible back to using their service. I cancelled my Sky subscription several years ago and they hounded me for months to return, and that was during ‘normal’ times. Many millions of households will see TV subscriptions as a luxury item now, and going forward, as everyone continues to be financially hit by the effects of COVID19. I’d be amazed if Sky didn’t have a keen interest in how the Scottish Premiership will look when football starts back up. They need the Premiership to be able to attract as many viewers as possible whether that be on yearly subscriptions, or 24 hours passes.

Sky might not care about Scottish football, but they care about money.

Nookie Bear
11 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

This has affected all leagues though which makes me think it has been led by European prize monies (imo!)

53 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

were not being relegated were being expelled

Many on here need to accept that we were relegated. The players have relegation clauses in their contracts meaning we can scale back their wages. If we were expelled then we can’t contractually alter the contracts as ‘we were not relegated’. 

Just now, ExPatTam said:

Many on here need to accept that we were relegated. The players have relegation clauses in their contracts meaning we can scale back their wages. If we were expelled then we can’t contractually alter the contracts as ‘we were not relegated’. 

GTF. 

Just now, ExPatTam said:

😂😂😂🤔💥😂😂😂

Stendelnator
40 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Hearts fans know this though.

His mask slipped long ago.

“His mask slipped” ffs 😂

Listen to yourself. Just because someone doesn’t go along with the echo chamber makes them an interloper. 

4 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

Wow.    That would be some legal argument! 

A lot of chat about ‘what will Sky do’ ‘what will Sky want’ surely as part of putting a reconstruction plan together Anne would speak to Sky.

St Johnstone claimed one of the reasons for voting no last time was the uncertainty of the tv deal. If I was Anne that’s the first thing I’d have clarified this time round, no??

Jamboelite
5 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

Jesus do you work for the Record.

Jamboelite
Just now, Leisham38 said:

A lot of chat about ‘what will Sky do’ ‘what will Sky want’ surely as part of putting a reconstruction plan together Anne would speak to Sky.

St Johnstone claimed one of the reasons for voting no last time was the uncertainty of the tv deal. If I was Anne that’s the first thing I’d have clarified this time round, no??

She isnt allowed to thats Dungcasters job

Biffa Bacon
9 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

Aye, right enough Tam 🤣

Hagar the Horrible
Just now, ExPatTam said:

Advice:    Do something about the monobrow and the armpit smell before posting?  we were expelled!  By a corrupt voting system! Relegation happens if we finished bottom after playing all games.  Now you have had your fun let the grown-ups speak now.  Them pegs wont sell themselves!!!!   NO Hearts fan has your view!

heartandsoul
1 minute ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Advice:    Do something about the monobrow and the armpit smell before posting?  we were expelled!  By a corrupt voting system! Relegation happens if we finished bottom after playing all games.  Now you have had your fun let the grown-ups speak now.  Them pegs wont sell themselves!!!!   NO Hearts fan has your view!

This

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, gavin1985 said:

Yes I would actually rather watch Hearts play Ayr twice a season than Hibs, Celtic and Rangers 4 times a season. 

The whole point is every top bigger league has it’s meaningless games, which I’m trying to use to shut the arguement down of “but the meaningless games”.

Every league has meaningless games, even if it’s a 10 team league but it stands to reason the bigger the league the more meaningless games there are.  Is it worth it to make the league a little more competitive?  Perhaps.  Will it increase crowds and income? No, because less fans will turn up for games against Arbroath or Morton than Hibs, Celtic, Rangers.  Not only that, you have less income from less category A games and less hospitality income.  

I’m not bothered either way to be honest but money talks for clubs.  And of course, I omitted the most important part above - for tv deals there has to be 4 OF games, so we’ll never go back to a one home one away league.  

9 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

“His mask slipped” ffs 😂

Listen to yourself. Just because someone doesn’t go along with the echo chamber makes them an interloper. 

There’s always suspicion of new posters coming on here during times of upheaval for the club. It does happen from time to time that fans from rivals pretend to be hearts fans. 

What football team do you support?

Edited by GinRummy

The Old Tolbooth
13 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

10 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

“His mask slipped” ffs 😂

:hibsfud:

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

Ok, I’ll play.  Did we get relegated on the pitch, in line with SPFL rules?  Or did we get voted into the Championship by our fellow member clubs, off the pitch?

And how do you know the players have relegation contracts?  Have you seen them or got a link?

Should the last vowel in your username not be an “i”?

Hagar the Horrible
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Every league has meaningless games, even if it’s a 10 team league but it stands to reason the bigger the league the more meaningless games there are.  Is it worth it to make the league a little more competitive?  Perhaps.  Will it increase crowds and income? No, because less fans will turn up for games against Arbroath or Morton than Hibs, Celtic, Rangers.  Not only that, you have less income from less category A games and less hospitality income.  

I’m not bothered either way to be honest but money talks for clubs.  And of course, I omitted the most important part above - for tv deals there has to be 4 OF games, so we’ll never go back to a one home one away league.  

All games were meaningless to us after we won the Championship before Easter?  I still went and enjoyed.  You make something rarer and better, it will be something bigger, and make the other derby games worth watching too, we did not have the luxury of live TV when we had the 18 league setup.   If I had 4 bottles of rare whisky I could get £100 per bottle, But If I drank 2, I could get £1000 per bottle?

31 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

23 minutes ago, gavin1985 said:

Exactly, couldn’t agree more! I’d rather play and beat QotS than get thumped by Celtic for the umpteenth time in the season 

Much I assume all teams in La Liga are happy to play Barca and Real Madrid only twice a season! 

:spoton:

It’s akin to masochism wanting a smaller league where you have to take more defeats to the OF instead of beating smaller sides. Add to that the drudgery of potentially playing Motherwell or Kilmarnock six times a season... dear god! Give me “meaningless fixtures” any day of the week.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

At present Hearts vs Celtic is meaningless, apart from cup games.

Play them 4 times per season and get rumped stupid usually in 3 of them, and none of them have any real bearing on out league position, or theirs

Was it meaningless to you when we pumped them 4-0 to end their 69 game unbeaten run?  Forcing the BBC to edit their clip on the “Invincibles” on the day of Sports Personality of the Year.

Or when we beat them 1-0 at the start of last season?

3 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

All games were meaningless to us after we won the Championship before Easter?  I still went and enjoyed.  You make something rarer and better, it will be something bigger, and make the other derby games worth watching too, we did not have the luxury of live TV when we had the 18 league setup.   If I had 4 bottles of rare whisky I could get £100 per bottle, But If I drank 2, I could get £1000 per bottle?

Indeed, it’s also how well we are performing in the league will always determine how many fans are at the “meaningless games”. If we are sitting 2nd in the league and playing Arbroath with a 100% chance of victory then you can bet I’ll be at the game! 

avhudtheteeshirt

Loved the bit in this mornings paper saying that the may postpone any Celtic V Rangers game until crowds allowed in to stadiums???

If that is not duopoly I don't know what is!!!!

21 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

16, 16, 16.

3 leagues.

If they can’t start Aug/Sep then mothball 2 & 3 until a Medical review in late October for a potential start in January.

Premiership as is with top 4 from championship added. 
6 remaining championship joined by 8 from league 1. Remaining league 1 clubs joined by league 2 clubs & 2 Junior clubs.

If you look at how that splits out, at least for the upcoming season, leagues 2 & 3 become quite regional (less travelling).

As it stands now with 12 Premiership Clubs joined by top 4 Championship clubs there could potentially be
Celtic v Rangers
Hearts v Hibs
Dundee v Utd
ICT v Ross county
Motherwell v Hamilton
Killie v Ayr
And even kiddy on rivalries like Dundee v Aberdeen, Dundee v st Johnstone, utd v Aberdeen, utd v st Johnstone, hearts v Aberdeen.

Then if starting in Aug/Sep or January, a revised 16 team championship would have Pars, Raith, East Fife and Arbroath, Montrose plus others like Falkirk, Partick, QoS.

If your a supporter of a smaller club, how many of those local rivalries are meaningless to you?

It’s a great idea but if it doesn’t include Rangers v Celtic x 4 there’s no way Sky will agree to it unfortunately. 

45 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Missed in the fog of war is the players who will have thier careers ended by all of this.

How many full time pro players are going to have their careers utterly destroyed?

Thinking the likes of Jamie Walker.

If Hearts get rid, then where do players such as he go?

The lower leagues are melting away to nothing.

The train of thought is the Premiership loan non required, primarily youth, players to Championship clubs, free gratis....but not just the kids.

52 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Woa, what?

The wife of Keith Jackson, the Daily Record sports writer, is sleeping with his brother! 

In depth investigation required, I heard from an insider source it was the rest of the sports department she was 'screwing' around with not his brother. Though saying 'she' is probably not the politically correct thing to say these days, though I understand (from a rumour) that is how they now identify. 

I don't know if any of the above is true. 

Hmm, I heard from a source that is was it was actually Keef sleeping with his wifes brother.

(Source- Twatter)

doctor jambo
22 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

I would acecpt it if it were true.

The competition could not be completed.

So nobody won it, and nobody lost it.

NO competition should be decided on likelihood, as that transgresses all that sport stands for.

Otherwise dont play it at all- vote Celtic champions at the start of every season, clubs decide who is the most likely to go down, and save all the fans the bother of ever turning up

doctor jambo
7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Was it meaningless to you when we pumped them 4-0 to end their 69 game unbeaten run?  Forcing the BBC to edit their clip on the “Invincibles” on the day of Sports Personality of the Year.

Or when we beat them 1-0 at the start of last season?

Hence why I said 3 out of 4 times.

Our record against them is horrific.

Playing them twice a season would still allow for out freak results, possibly even incrase the chance as morale would be higher in general were the season not regularly peppered with drubbings

Ethan Hunt
20 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

Many on here - well just you at the moment actually - need to understand the definition of expel, which is:

Expel - to force to leave (a place, an organization, etc.) by official action 

A vote is an official action.

In footballing terms relegation is clearly understood to mean the result of being bottom of the league when all the games proposed to have taken place at the beginning of that season have actually taken place. In the Premierships case that is 38 games.

Football isn’t musical chairs. You shouldn’t end up being ‘relegated’ because of the position you were in when the someone stops the music.

The SPFL board is in place to organise and administer a sporting competition. At the beginning of the season the articles were agreed that the Scottish Premiership sporting competition would take place over 38 games. On the conclusion of those 38 games one club would be declared champions, and one club would be relegated. Those 38 games haven’t taken place. Hearts have not had the opportunity to complete the agreed number of fixtures that was agreed on. We were voted out on a flawed resolution. We have been expelled from the league.

As for your point regarding players contracts. I’m pretty sure the wording would read something along the lines of: should the club find itself in a lower league as a result of having been relegated, demoted, or by any other means, the players contract will be either terminated, or renegotiated under different terms.To suggest we couldn’t deal with a players contract because we are using the correct terminology of having been expelled is utter nonsense.

south morocco
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

If there is to be any leap frogging, there also has to be extreme penalties if you cannot fulfil your obligations.

And again, why is it AB and not the SPFL exec coming showing the strategy, drive and leadership to see this through.

I get what you're saying but are the penalties by definition actually the act of  being leapfrogged? I don't know. myself !!   What happens to these clubs once normality creeps back. AB has said on record no club should be penalised or disadvantaged by Covid. 

Meaningless games seems to be getting bandied about a lot.

I have never been to a Hearts game that is meaningless. I want Hearts to win no matter what the team or our league position and if we do I go home happy. 

I would also like to see us give opportunity to youngsters to benefit the national team. 

18 team league is the best solution. 

Ethan Hunt
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

There hasn't been another team win the league since 1985 due to the money imbalance. Nothing to do with the size of the leagues. 

I’d disagree with that to a degree. The number of times teams have to play the old firm definitely reduces the chances of a team winning the league. Of course finance players a part, and a big part, but there are other reasons as well.

19 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

Expulsion is the mechanism in this case and relegation is the outcome.

colinmaroon
39 minutes ago, ExPatTam said:

What a load of pedantic poo!

We were expelled/demoted without the season being completed, which is registered by the SPFL as "relegation."

To try and look smart in this case is very revealing.

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

It’s a great idea but if it doesn’t include Rangers v Celtic x 4 there’s no way Sky will agree to it unfortunately. 

I doubt Rangers and Celtic would agree to it either so it would never get voted through anyway.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Rods said:

Meaningless games seems to be getting bandied about a lot.

I have never been to a Hearts game that is meaningless. I want Hearts to win no matter what the team or our league position and if we do I go home happy. 

I would also like to see us give opportunity to youngsters to benefit the national team. 

18 team league is the best solution. 

Agreed, a poster said the other day that we had a dead rubber against Hibs in the Championship in defence of Neilson 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈🤪?!?!

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )