SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

The more utterly shambolic it is the better imo.  Hopefully there is lashings of seething still to come as this saga proceeds.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Finally caught up. Cosgrove's comment about philanthropy is the height of irony given the club he supports were given land for their stadium for diddly squat! In addition, if and when Geoff Brown turns round and says they can't afford testing, what will the dickhead say then? 

He'll probably just shout louder. 

Jambof3tornado
6 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Was the philanthropist money not for lower league teams? How ironic that Premiership teams subsequently announce they can’t afford the testing.

I didnt take it that it was lower leagues only but that does make more sense.

Walter Bishop
6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

See when the 2nd, 3rd or 4th wave hits and the league has to be stopped again. Be interesting to see the reaction of the club in bottom at that moment. Or what if Rangers are top after 15 or 20 games? What if we are top after 15 or 20 the season after next if there's no vaccine and other strain of the virus emerges and we've started the season like we did in 18/19? We get the title? 

The SPFL and other clubs have backed themselves into a corner they may never get out of by creating precedent after precedent in the way they've dealt with it (or not dealt with it). 

2nd, 3rd and 4th waves? 

What evidence do you have to make such ludicrous claims? 

Tennant's  6's
6 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

The premier teams can GTF they ain’t getting near the philanthropists offered funds - and rightly so

Bloody hope not.

Surely budge meant it to help the lower league sides, that didn't come across so well in her interview yesterday but that's what she seemed to imply in the lengthy paper.

This shambles just continues, if these clubs cant pay for the testing, then sod off and make way for ckubs that can.

That pathetic piece about the SFA revoking our licence if we do go to court sounds like their bluffing.

God, I hate just about everything associated with Scottish football 

Tennant's  6's
25 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

2nd, 3rd and 4th waves? 

The 2nd wave of the Spanish (Kansas) was was much worse than the 1st, 3rd wave was bad too. 

South Korea are having to have stricter measures again, like closing schools,  because of a spike in Covid cases, so it's likely/ possible to happen 

7 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Sponsors or donations only way I think.  Hearts already offered.  Nothing from the big 2 yet.

They’ll be seething that they are not in the limelight with this. Especially Lawell and Celtic. They like to believe that they run the game here and make all the decisions for everyone. Just like the mafia.

6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Finally caught up. Cosgrove's comment about philanthropy is the height of irony given the club he supports were given land for their stadium for diddly squat! In addition, if and when Geoff Brown turns round and says they can't afford testing, what will the dickhead say then? 

There should be a grovelling apology from him.  The man is a complete tit.

Tommy Brown

It's depressing reading a DR report on 6 teams that will scupper the plans.

Teams unhappy they would still or be put in the bottom tier. The bottom tier now being a tier closer to the top.

We have enough to worry about without reconstruction. Aye a big worry about a thing to help save your club.

My solution to this. SPFL to be two leagues of Full time clubs, one if not enough. 

All the rest to be regionised, Highland, west/south, East/central, Fife/Angus as an example.

A play off system to gain promotion if prepared to go full time.

NeilBerry79

Scottish football is some caper, you have to laugh at Dick Gordon talking about the Nirvana of getting fans back into the grounds, then you have Tony “ great question” whoever he is from Dundee Utd slavering about how young players will get back to playing soon. Everything is bluster and p**h, someone comes along, in this case AB and says there is major investment available for the leagues and it’s laughed off as if it’s nonsense without due diligence, just as well the league is flying!! If I was AB I would keep my funding contacts to myself, **** the lot of them and make Hearts stronger. The most frustrating thing for me is that if Hearts could get their act together then we could challenge for everything given the ineptitude on show across the rest of the country.

3 minutes ago, NeilBerry79 said:

Scottish football is some caper, you have to laugh at Dick Gordon talking about the Nirvana of getting fans back into the grounds, then you have Tony “ great question” whoever he is from Dundee Utd slavering about how young players will get back to playing soon. Everything is bluster and p**h, someone comes along, in this case AB and says there is major investment available for the leagues and it’s laughed off as if it’s nonsense without due diligence, just as well the league is flying!! If I was AB I would keep my funding contacts to myself, **** the lot of them and make Hearts stronger. The most frustrating thing for me is that if Hearts could get their act together then we could challenge for everything given the ineptitude on show across the rest of the country.

Great post. 

bobskeldon
6 hours ago, skjhearts said:

Cheers Geoff.Think Asda played a blinder there  plus old McDiarmid of course.

So old McDiarmid really did have a farm.

Jean Louis Valois

7 hours ago, skjhearts said:

Dont wish to rain on anyone's parde re St Johnstone but if i recall corectly one of the big supermarkerts ,Asda i think, bought there ground  on the promise that they would buy the land from a local farmer then build a new stadium for them.Really camt blame them for that.The old ground was a S ### hole.

As is the new one.

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

The more utterly shambolic it is the better imo.  Hopefully there is lashings of seething still to come as this saga proceeds.

I don’t see how this can get more shambolic. The whole situation is an absolute farce and it all stems from Doncaster’s manipulation of the first vote and his subsequent ineffectiveness. 

Ethan Hunt
38 minutes ago, NeilBerry79 said:

I’ve maybe missed it but who - other than that prat Cosgrove apparently - has laughed off the philanthropists investment as nonsense?

2 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

As is the new one.

It’s even worse. At least Muirton was pretty close to the Railway Station and there were a few decent pubs on the route to the ground.  

Ethan Hunt
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

I don’t see how this can get more shambolic. The whole situation is an absolute farce and it all stems from Doncaster’s manipulation of the first vote and his subsequent ineffectiveness. 

It was noticeable how the Sportsound pundits, particularly Neil McCann, were having a bit more of a go at Doncaster yesterday.

Nookie Bear
Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

It was noticeable how the Sportsound pundits, particularly Neil McCann, were having a bit more of a go at Doncaster yesterday.

AB must be seething right now. She seems to be the only one with any kind of perspective and Doncaster is contributing **** all. 

And then the biggest club in the country’s contribution? Get the fixtures released!

Unbelievable. 

This is now a perfect storm for Scottish football. Clubs unable to afford testing. Clubs unable to afford playing BCD. Clubs not wanting to play next season. Clubs not wanting reconstruction as there is nothing in it for themselves. Clubs releasing players and unable to afford new ones. Clubs potentially unable to afford training as furlough will cease at that point. 

Philanthropists may offer millions to support testing and infrastructure, but surely that wont include actual business costs like salaries and stadium overheads with little incoming income. 

This is really going to need a breakout of common sense amongst all clubs otherwise I cant see football starting again, BCD or not. 

For clubs who admit they cannot afford to play next season, will they expect to resume in their original leagues when this is over? Surely not, but it wouldnt surprise me.  

There will be no government hand out for football, no support measures. There will be no SFA or SPFL hand outs. The money simply isn't there. Will there be UEFA/FIFA handouts? With all the clubs and leagues in the world I wouldnt think so. 

Will philanthropists give money freely to lower leagues and some premiership clubs but not others? I fully expect clubs to treat this as an entitled handout. 

For what it's worth, I think that's the reason for Celtic wanting a fixture list produced ASAP. They can see all of the above and they are worried that football will not, cannot start without any agreement or financial assistance.

The SPFL board are going to have to establish quickly who can play, who cannot, and arrange a league or two at very short notice with agreement to what happens to the 'mothballed' clubs and where they resume when this is over. This will need real leadership and sadly, does anyone really expect this?

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I didnt take it that it was lower leagues only but that does make more sense.

I missed that point as well for some reason and I was actually listening to the interview. 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

AB must be seething right now. She seems to be the only one with any kind of perspective and Doncaster is contributing **** all. 

And then the biggest club in the country’s contribution? Get the fixtures released!

Unbelievable. 

More  evidence - as if any more was actually needed as to who runs the game here. They are a cancer that is completely destroying the sport in a Scotland.  About time the other clubs got their acts together and got this shambles sorted instead of either gloating over it or sticking their heads in the sand.  The first step in the recovery of the game here would be ditching that over paid office boy Doncaster.  Disaster after disaster on his watch, yet he’s still there doing Lawells bidding. I can’t think of another organisation that he would have survived in given his track record of failure.

NeilBerry79
18 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I’ve maybe missed it but who - other than that prat Cosgrove apparently - has laughed off the philanthropists investment as nonsense?

Have a listen to BBC Sportsound from yesterday bud, the guy from the Dundee Utd board, in particular the guy Tony (whoever he is) reckons once he heard about the investors interested he put a shopping list into his chairman for strikers, he is being a sarcastic ****. I’m waiting on him suggesting something better still! Hopefully that should explain. 

Riccarton3
4 minutes ago, Vansen said:

This is now a perfect storm for Scottish football. Clubs unable to afford testing. Clubs unable to afford playing BCD. Clubs not wanting to play next season. Clubs not wanting reconstruction as there is nothing in it for themselves. Clubs releasing players and unable to afford new ones. Clubs potentially unable to afford training as furlough will cease at that point. 

Philanthropists may offer millions to support testing and infrastructure, but surely that wont include actual business costs like salaries and stadium overheads with little incoming income. 

This is really going to need a breakout of common sense amongst all clubs otherwise I cant see football starting again, BCD or not. 

For clubs who admit they cannot afford to play next season, will they expect to resume in their original leagues when this is over? Surely not, but it wouldnt surprise me.  

There will be no government hand out for football, no support measures. There will be no SFA or SPFL hand outs. The money simply isn't there. Will there be UEFA/FIFA handouts? With all the clubs and leagues in the world I wouldnt think so. 

Will philanthropists give money freely to lower leagues and some premiership clubs but not others? I fully expect clubs to treat this as an entitled handout. 

For what it's worth, I think that's the reason for Celtic wanting a fixture list produced ASAP. They can see all of the above and they are worried that football will not, cannot start without any agreement or financial assistance.

The SPFL board are going to have to establish quickly who can play, who cannot, and arrange a league or two at very short notice with agreement to what happens to the 'mothballed' clubs and where they resume when this is over. This will need real leadership and sadly, does anyone really expect this?

It"s curious that given this is being played out in public via the media that the SPFL Board has never even stated a positive stance towards the PROCESS of reconstruction. Not favouring on e solution or another but simply publicly backing an individual they have given authority to resurrect it whether it is successful or not. They must see the vitriol  in the media yet do not feel any inclination to make any  supporting statement. You only end up questioning the character of these people. And it ain't good.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, NeilBerry79 said:

Have a listen to BBC Sportsound from yesterday bud, the guy from the Dundee Utd board, in particular the guy Tony (whoever he is) reckons once he heard about the investors interested he put a shopping list into his chairman for strikers, he is being a sarcastic ****. I’m waiting on him suggesting something better still! Hopefully that should explain. 

I can’t listen otherwise I will start breaking things. 

They have benefitted more than anyone here and should show a bit more humility. 

Nookie Bear

Best thing that can happen now is for AB to announce she is taking legal action immediately and that she looks forward to hearing Doncaster’s solutions and proposals for the forthcoming season. 

And all offers of assistance have been removed. 

NeilBerry79
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Best thing that can happen now is for AB to announce she is taking legal action immediately and that she looks forward to hearing Doncaster’s solutions and proposals for the forthcoming season. 

Tend to agree mate. The whole set up seems so farcical that any court action can only be successful.  I refuse to take legal counsel from Willie Miller! 

Ethan Hunt
12 minutes ago, NeilBerry79 said:

I heard him right enough. That remark was just stupid and sums up the mentality of Scottish football. He’ll have known little or nothing about the proposed investment, but like most of those in the Scottish game, he’s just not professional enough not to pass some half baked comment. 

Riccarton3
14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I can’t listen otherwise I will start breaking things. 

They have benefitted more than anyone here and should show a bit more humility. 

I haven't listened to it for weeks and weeks and I was always a listener. To be fair,   It was hard enough before all this as the content is just repetitive and cliched and just so accepting o mediocrity but you tolerated it. Richard Gordon would just sneer at such a comment rather than wonder if it's true.

Edited by Riccarton3

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

It's depressing reading a DR report on 6 teams that will scupper the plans.

Teams unhappy they would still or be put in the bottom tier. The bottom tier now being a tier closer to the top.

We have enough to worry about without reconstruction. Aye a big worry about a thing to help save your club.

My solution to this. SPFL to be two leagues of Full time clubs, one if not enough. 

All the rest to be regionised, Highland, west/south, East/central, Fife/Angus as an example.

A play off system to gain promotion if prepared to go full time.

No plastic pitches either.

Ethan Hunt
31 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Unbelievable. 

Doncaster is a disgrace. If AB’s interview - which I thought was very good - achieved anything it certainly shone a light on just how ineffective and incompetent he is.  The game in turmoil, flawed resolutions and dodgy votes, complete lack of leadership (with the exception of AB), no league sponsor, and he’s responding to millions of pounds free money with “put a paper in”. 

As for Celtic. I have no idea what that is about other than it may be a ploy to force the SPFL’s hand in sorting out reconstruction quickly. Lawell won’t want court action. Maybe it was a public prod to get things sorted, then again, maybe not.

NeilBerry79
1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Doncaster is a disgrace. If AB’s interview - which I thought was very good - achieved anything it certainly shone a light on just how ineffective and incompetent he is.  The game in turmoil, flawed resolutions and dodgy votes, complete lack of leadership (with the exception of AB), no league sponsor, and he’s responding to millions of pounds free money with “put a paper in”. 

As for Celtic. I have no idea what that is about other than it may be a ploy to force the SPFL’s hand in sorting out reconstruction quickly. Lawell won’t want court action. Maybe it was a public prod to get things sorted, then again, maybe not.

Exactly! What is this guy getting paid for, any time he is expected to take the lead it’s a major **** up. I honestly have yet to see him doing anything that justifies even 40k per year never mind 400. I would love someone with some vision like Barry / Eddie Hearn to take over the marketing of the SPFL to see where they could get it with a bit of passion behind it. 

Billybuffjaw
8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

See when the 2nd, 3rd or 4th wave hits and the league has to be stopped again. Be interesting to see the reaction of the club in bottom at that moment. Or what if Rangers are top after 15 or 20 games? What if we are top after 15 or 20 the season after next if there's no vaccine and other strain of the virus emerges and we've started the season like we did in 18/19? We get the title? 

The SPFL and other clubs have backed themselves into a corner they may never get out of by creating precedent after precedent in the way they've dealt with it (or not dealt with it). 

If as you suggest there will be a 2nd 3rd and 4th wave football will be irrelevant.

Glamorgan Jambo

Selleck want to get back playing as soon as possible as it’s likely the European qualifiers will start shortly especially as key leagues for the qualifying phases (Denmark etc) are starting up again.

the whole shebang and fiasco appears to be to protect one club’s important revenue source.

14 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Yeh I get the feeling Celtic are saying decisions need to be made ie they want reconstruction let’s get it done.

I am still hoping Anne speaks to the investors I don’t want these rats to get a penny.

31 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Doncaster is a slimy, useless creep. I noticed his wee dig in yesterday’s comment when he spoke about their being no conditions to the philanthropists’ cash. Ann might have said it’s for lower league sides only. Now he’ll be wanting to dish it out to all and sundry.

2 minutes ago, S Form said:

Doncaster is a slimy, useless creep. I noticed his wee dig in yesterday’s comment when he spoke about their being no conditions to the philanthropists’ cash. Ann might have said it’s for lower league sides only. Now he’ll be wanting to dish it out to all and sundry.

That’s my fear that it goes to leaches like St Mirren, St Johnstone and Hamilton. Even worse to the Leith vermin.

59 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That's what should happen mate but you will be banging your head of the wall with the rest of us for sometime yet.

tolcross lad
3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

That’s my fear that it goes to leaches like St Mirren, St Johnstone and Hamilton. Even worse to the Leith vermin.

The philanthropic offer could potentially

work against Hearts interests.The "no strings attached"  concerned me as during the interview Ann indicated that she was about to move to a Hearts first position.If she has influence over the benefactors it seemed contradictory.

2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

2nd, 3rd and 4th waves? 

Wouldn't surprise me, Walter, after what I saw yesterday. Drove up Muirhouse Green to get up to Ferry Road and spread across three, largely non partitioned, gardens was a mass party. First garden was for the kids with a bouncy castle sort of thing etc. The 2nd and 3rd was crammed full of people sitting next to each other playing bingo as some lassie, through a loud speaker, called the numbers. 

Including the bairns and other small groups standing around on the periphery there must have been close to 100 people in attendance.

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

It"s curious that given this is being played out in public via the media that the SPFL Board has never even stated a positive stance towards the PROCESS of reconstruction. Not favouring on e solution or another but simply publicly backing an individual they have given authority to resurrect it whether it is successful or not. They must see the vitriol  in the media yet do not feel any inclination to make any  supporting statement. You only end up questioning the character of these people. And it ain't good.

Absolutely.

And the curious thing is, even if money was made available for testing, it doesnt sort out who plays who and in what league. As far as I know that will take a vote. Another one. With clubs unable to agree. Then they have to decide what happens to any clubs who effectively go into hibernation.

We can all sit here and say f them but this is a members organisation and everything has to be seen to be done by vote.

Unless the SPFL suddenly spring into action and take absolute control and make decisions I dont feel this will be sorted anytime soon. 

Bearing in mind its June tomorrow and this has been drifting now for weeks, time is very short to sort plans out that will probably take more votes. 

Judging by Doncasters remarks to AB yesterday, its beginning to look like the SPFL board is absolutely paralysed with inaction and unable to see a way forward. Which is why they are leaving it to others (AB) to do the work for them 🤬

3 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

work against Hearts interests.The "no strings attached"  concerned me as during the interview Ann indicated that she was about to move to a Hearts first position.If she has influence over the benefactors it seemed contradictory.

After all we have seen over the last few weeks, I’m actually surprised that she can trust the SPFL Board with anything like this.  She is bound to know by now that it’s made up of complete wasters and headed up by a complete disaster. You could not trust them to run a bath.

Riccarton3
12 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Contractradictory's good, mate. Keeps them off balance. GOT TO GET DOWN IN THE DIRT, intentionally or not. Seems Budge needs to reach higher standards than these *****. That seems unfair.

16 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Exactly.

10 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premiership-restart-plan-jeopardy-skint-22113923?1

Sunday Mail reporting that some Premiership clubs say they cant afford the testing. They need money from SPFL to be able to do that. Otherwise they cant play. Kilmarnock are one club saying the cost of testing if its what predicted it is then Kilmarnock are not able to do it. 

So we now are in a position where even Premiership clubs might not be able to play. 

They won’t be the only club. Takes us back to Ann’s statement prior to her proposal, where she stated that the Premiership needs Hearts more than the Championship does. If Kilmarnock Cant afford it, then neither can St Johnstone, Accies, County imo. Question marks over Motherwell and St Mirren.

Riccarton3
10 minutes ago, Vansen said:

Absolutely.

And the curious thing is, even if money was made available for testing, it doesnt sort out who plays who and in what league. As far as I know that will take a vote. Another one. With clubs unable to agree. Then they have to decide what happens to any clubs who effectively go into hibernation.

We can all sit here and say f them but this is a members organisation and everything has to be seen to be done by vote.

Unless the SPFL suddenly spring into action and take absolute control and make decisions I dont feel this will be sorted anytime soon. 

Bearing in mind its June tomorrow and this has been drifting now for weeks, time is very short to sort plans out that will probably take more votes. 

Judging by Doncasters remarks to AB yesterday, its beginning to look like the SPFL board is absolutely paralysed with inaction and unable to see a way forward. Which is why they are leaving it to others (AB) to do the work for them 🤬

Middle of March to end of June. Ffs. And still as clear as mud. Yet the media's ire is directed in one direction. 

EH23-Jambo

Celtic possibly wanting fixtures announced ASAP as it may help the Premiership if legal action comes.

tolcross lad
2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Contractradictory's good, mate. Keeps them off balance. GOT TO GET DOWN IN THE DIRT, intentionally or not. Seems Budge needs to reach higher standards than these *****. That seems unfair.

I am not sure I understand.I thought our threat of court action was to bring the financial consequences to bear down on the clubs.

10 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Will probably depend which team the judge supports 

we don’t have much chance tbh 

What if he doesn’t support a Scottish football club? Could be a guy from anywhere, Orkney, Manchester, Guildford or wherever. 

So with this no strings offer from the philanthropist she could actual be helping  the Spfls to get way out of this shambles and confirm our place in the Championship . 

She is utterly losing the plot here . There's no way this offer and us playing in the top tier can go hand in hand . It would look like bribery. 

She now need to shut the **** up . She's tried to get these idiots to see the big picture which they have no intention of doing . 

When they confirm this she needs to either challenge the demotion in court and/or point out we expect to be playing a full fixture list in the Championship  next year with a chance of promotion or there will be a legal challenge on that basis . 

10 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The Mercer Takeover attempt failed. Much like your trolling.

It’s a bit like when Spencer and Hendricks keep reappearing under different guises. Always doomed to fail, even after a terser makeover.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )