SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )

15 hours ago, frankblack said:

That is what has been done in the likes of Italy and Spain, so you are kidding yourself if you think it isn't an option if people won't obey the rules.

Banned in Turkey now too. 

• Replies 90.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Ethan Hunt

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

WalterEgo
23 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting games with 2 metre social distancing. 

There goes the Gegenpress.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

(Tangent, but... )

I work for UoE, and there’s all kinds of problems arisen from this. We are a relatively small college compared to say social sciences, but financially, academically, and logistically its a nightmare. As it stands we will probably have graduate entry programme (GEP) students (already have a degree in another/related  subject), but recruitment of first years is a big headache. Their final school exams probably aren’t going ahead in many cases. That means either going with their prelim results, or attempting to find ways of examining them virtually. Our college is ‘best of the best’ when it comes to student entry requirements, so obviously this could compromise things. 

I am working from home just now, and I have been asked to think up ways of delivering classes, in a way that would not contravene infection control measures like social distancing. I do a lot of work in imaging, particularly histology imaging, and I’ve created electronic versions of the histology slides that the students use in undergraduate histology practicals, and this could be done from their homes if they download the software necessary to view the files. The problems for putting on classes comes from gross anatomy, and clinical skills, as both of these can’t really be done remotely, for obvious reasons.
We were all set to put on clinical skills exams in the next few weeks and that has been halted now. I would normally be examining students on clinical skills, where they have to show their ability to perform ‘first day competencies’, the majority of these practical and cannot be simulated with any accuracy over a video link or via a computer model.

The GEP students pay an absolute fortune to study here, and that money props up the whole campus. If they don’t come, we are working with a real deficit.

My line manager works with student recruitment and normally flies to Asia about now to recruit from India, China and Singapore etc. That obviously isn’t going to happen now. Students will be recruited, but I don’t think we will see the numbers we normally do, and that will have a big financial impact. The standard of students might not be up to the usual highest standard in a few years time because of this, and you have to wonder if parents will want to pay the sort of fees that they are expected to, if the course is watered down too much.

Cheers for that, very interesting and mirrors what i have heard from elsewhere (Engineering, in particular). I also understand that a lot of the recruitment will be based on anticipated grades so the quality will suffer, not to mention the fact a lot of students are coming from China (obvious issues!) and the States (behind us in the curve and likely to suffer for longer).

RonnieG
1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

(Tangent, but... )

I work for UoE, and there’s all kinds of problems arisen from this. We are a relatively small college compared to say social sciences, but financially, academically, and logistically its a nightmare. As it stands we will probably have graduate entry programme (GEP) students (already have a degree in another/related  subject), but recruitment of first years is a big headache. Their final school exams probably aren’t going ahead in many cases. That means either going with their prelim results, or attempting to find ways of examining them virtually. Our college is ‘best of the best’ when it comes to student entry requirements, so obviously this could compromise things. 

I am working from home just now, and I have been asked to think up ways of delivering classes, in a way that would not contravene infection control measures like social distancing. I do a lot of work in imaging, particularly histology imaging, and I’ve created electronic versions of the histology slides that the students use in undergraduate histology practicals, and this could be done from their homes if they download the software necessary to view the files. The problems for putting on classes comes from gross anatomy, and clinical skills, as both of these can’t really be done remotely, for obvious reasons.
We were all set to put on clinical skills exams in the next few weeks and that has been halted now. I would normally be examining students on clinical skills, where they have to show their ability to perform ‘first day competencies’, the majority of these practical and cannot be simulated with any accuracy over a video link or via a computer model.

The GEP students pay an absolute fortune to study here, and that money props up the whole campus. If they don’t come, we are working with a real deficit.

My line manager works with student recruitment and normally flies to Asia about now to recruit from India, China and Singapore etc. That obviously isn’t going to happen now. Students will be recruited, but I don’t think we will see the numbers we normally do, and that will have a big financial impact. The standard of students might not be up to the usual highest standard in a few years time because of this, and you have to wonder if parents will want to pay the sort of fees that they are expected to, if the course is watered down too much.

Im a bit confused by this.  You work for Univ of Edin?  You keep mentioning College?  There are no final exams for any S5 or S6 students.  Prelims are not being used to dictate final grades.  Teachers are recommending grades based on coursework over the year and their expectation of grade. SQA will award in most cases what those teachers recommend.  They will not be marking any further work or reviewing prelims.   I agree about all the issues with GEP and foreign students.  They in effect pay for the free education of scottish students, and its why Edinburgh and St Andrews have limited spaces for home grown talent. 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, RonnieG said:

Im a bit confused by this.  You work for Univ of Edin?  You keep mentioning College?  There are no final exams for any S5 or S6 students.  Prelims are not being used to dictate final grades.  Teachers are recommending grades based on coursework over the year and their expectation of grade. SQA will award in most cases what those teachers recommend.  They will not be marking any further work or reviewing prelims.   I agree about all the issues with GEP and foreign students.  They in effect pay for the free education of scottish students, and its why Edinburgh and St Andrews have limited spaces for home grown talent. 

The University is divided into separate Colleges (Science & Engineering, Medicine etc)

As i understood it, it was a mix of prelims and coursework that was being used.

Smithee
3 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

College as in faculty

RonnieG
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

The University is divided into separate Colleges (Science & Engineering, Medicine etc)

As i understood it, it was a mix of prelims and coursework that was being used.

Ah gotcha.   Prelims are just an early indicator - they haven't completed the course at that point. Teachers have been advised to use coursework as the main guidance towards marks. Most S5s and S6s have already been given an indication from Teachers as to what will be presented. Then the SQA need to agree. 

Beast Boy
1 minute ago, RonnieG said:

I work for the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (CMVM), one of the colleges of of the University of Edinburgh.

Different high schools in different countries are doing different things. In England for example my Niece doesn’t yet know what they are going to do as far as grades and exams go. They are discussing it at present and may go with the prelim results, or with teacher recommendations. Still undecided as of yesterday. Our college takes on students from all over the world, and different countries have yet to decide what direction they are taking.

Not going to go further off topic by getting in to the nuts and bolts of free education for Scottish students, other than to say we have a good proportion of Scottish students at our school.

IveSeenTheLight
7 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Not going to go further off topic by getting in to the nuts and bolts of free education for Scottish students, other than to say we have a good proportion of Scottish students at our school.

So Government funded?

Beast Boy
3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Not going to go further off topic by getting in to the nuts and bolts of free education for Scottish students

👍

Koolkeith

What the **** happened to this thread? 🤦‍♂️

Tabloids seem intent on pushing an agenda here. We could finish the league now, but is there anything to say that we need to promote a team from the league below?

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

What the **** happened to this thread? 🤦‍♂️

Tabloids seem intent on pushing an agenda here. We could finish the league now, but is there anything to say that we need to promote a team from the league below?

The SPFL rules presumably.  

As an aside, there’s been a lot said and written about the case for Celtic to be declared champions and Hearts to be relegated.  I can’t say I’ve seen anything about Partick’s plight who are also in the SPFL.  

Anything official come from them yet?  Have to say they would be deserving of more sympathy than us if they get relegated 2 points behind with a game in hand.

Beast Boy
4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

As an aside, there’s been a lot said and written about the case for Celtic to be declared champions and Hearts to be relegated.  I can’t say I’ve seen anything about Partick’s plight who are also in the SPFL.  

Anything official come from them yet?  Have to say they would be deserving of more sympathy than us if they get relegated 2 points behind with a game in hand.

I don’t think they would be deserving of more sympathy than us at all. Both of our teams still have plenty points at stake to survive relegation. If Partick lost their game in hand then the next fixtures played by us and them could easily see us one point off the play off place, and them five points adrift.

The same rules apply to all teams currently at the bottom of their divisions and able to get enough points to crawl off bottom spot. It would be grossly unfair to relegate anybody.

wavydavy

There is "a lot of common sense" in crowning Celtic as Scottish Premiership champions if the season cannot finish, says Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes.

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Given the economic situation any decisions made surely have to be done as much to protect the ongoing viability of the clubs as anything else. If the decision is made simply to hand Celtic a title and damn the rest, they will be failling in their responsibilities to the clubs. 

Freezing relegation and going to 14 team leagues would do that. Then we could assess at the mid-way point how well received the larger leagues are. Too sensible for our governing bodies I expect. 

Dirty Deeds

Worst case scenario for us is relegation with FoH tallking control and Budge being replaced and Stendel probably going to. 

In other words, a clean slate and Groundhog Day 2014.

I can live with that. 

Nookie Bear
31 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

There is "a lot of common sense" in crowning Celtic as Scottish Premiership champions if the season cannot finish, says Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes.

And, by a complete coincidence, giving Aberdeen a Europa League spot.

Jambo 4 Ever
18 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Worst case scenario for us is relegation with FoH tallking control and Budge being replaced and Stendel probably going to. 

I can live with that. 

Yeh I agree 

I actually think it Could be a good thing to happen now and get a fresh start 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

Yeh I agree 

Yeah that's it. A good thing to happen. Seriously? As $#!te as we've been. And we have been $#!te. Relegation can never be a good thing. For any team. 

The league season has not been completed. And until such times..... No thanks.

Clerry Jambo
23 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

I can live with that. 

Can handle relegation but would like gaffer to hang around. Budge will stay on I think at least for a year.

Beast Boy
Just now, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Yeah that's it. A good thing to happen. Seriously? As $#!te as we've been. And we have been $#!te. Relegation can never be a good thing. For any team. 

The league season has not been completed. And until such times..... No thanks.

He’s trolling. He’s desperate for a bite and has posted the same thing on a few threads already.

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Yeh I agree 

Have a word with yourself.

By "fresh", you mean "starting all over again in a lower division, with a squad full of demotivated, overpaid players who are largely despised by the fans, with likely needing a new coach - hello Neil ******* McCann - fans hating the owner, Levein probably reinstalled as DoF, FoH payments dropping, season ticket sales dropping, and nothing at all like it was last time when it felt like we were emerging from a very dark place into a bright future"

Yeah, could be a good thing.

The Frenchman Returns
11 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Yeh I agree 

Being relegated would be a good thing, get a grip. If you are being serious you need to give yourself a shake as no one in their right mind would want their own football club relegated. 

Smoked-Glass
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Being relegated would be a good thing, get a grip. If you are being serious you need to give yourself a shake as no one in their right mind would want their own football club relegated. 

Well said. We want to stay up 

Common sense says Celtic were going to win the league. Our own relegation plight, I'd say we were probably going down, but its much tighter with more variables. We might have gotten our shit together against Accies and St Mirren after the split to stay up. 

A 14 team league is the most equitable solution for all concerned.

wavydavy
21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And he never mentions anything about relegation.

IveSeenTheLight
26 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It was in the bag man.

Scottish cup and a European spot for the 7th year in a row 😆

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think the best solution is league reconstruction for 1 year.

3 down, 1 up next season

Edited by IveSeenTheLight
Beast Boy
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He does:

Hearts still had the ability to get themselves out of trouble, although they've been in and around the bottom for quite a while.

“I don’t want to see Hearts relegated.

“I think they’re a fantastic club that can offer so much to the league.

“The alternatives everybody’s looking at are a 14-team league or whether we have to go as we do normally with announcing champions and the team that’s relegated.”

Mikey1874
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

McInnes

He said he didn't think it was fair to relegate Hearts 

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

It was in the bag man.

Scottish cup and a European spot for the 7th year in a row 😆

I just noticed that your lot have not won the cup for 30 years 🤣

Only reached 3 finals in that time too 🤣

tian447
30 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148695

"Leagues across Europe have been told that ending competitions early could result in them forfeiting Champions League and Europa League places."

What a shame that would be for those so desperate to finish the league as it stands.  Especially for Aberdeen, how could we live with not giving them the chance of getting gubbed by some Latvian or Faroese team in the pre-pre-pre-pre-qualifying round?

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

He’s trolling. He’s desperate for a bite and has posted the same thing on a few threads already.

I know he's trolling. I just got into work and turned on my computer and dove right in. 1st mistake of the day.

Beast Boy
1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I know he's trolling. I just got into work and turned on my computer and dove right in. 1st mistake of the day.

Hard not to when he trolls over several threads with the same baited hook. 

wavydavy
14 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

He does:

Hearts still had the ability to get themselves out of trouble, although they've been in and around the bottom for quite a while.

“I don’t want to see Hearts relegated.

“I think they’re a fantastic club that can offer so much to the league.

“The alternatives everybody’s looking at are a 14-team league or whether we have to go as we do normally with announcing champions and the team that’s relegated.”

Not on the article I read on the BBC.

The SPFL is yet to decide the fate of the current campaign, which is on hold indefinitely.

McInnes, whose side are fourth in the Scottish Premiership, says the league body faces "tough decisions".

"If there’s a way this can be finished, we need to not give up on that too soon," he told BBC Scotland.

"But we’re all realistic enough to know that it’s becoming less and less likely.

"The likelihood is Celtic would go on and win the league so maybe that decision - if we can’t get the league finished - might be easier to deal with, unless you’re a Rangers supporter, and I see a lot of common sense in that."

Hearts owner Ann Budge has said her club, currently bottom of the top flight, will take legal advice if they are relegated because of an early finish to the season, believing there to be a "number of areas" to contest.

Budge has mooted the idea of league reconstruction, where the top flight would expand from 12 teams to 14, taking in the top two in the Championship.

But Uefa sent a letter to national associations warning European places could be under threat if leagues are called early.

"The Uefa statement doesn’t help, trying to apply pressure," McInnes added. "The self-interest there is clear.

"I don’t think any federation should be penalised for doing what’s fair and right for their country, including ours."

Beast Boy
15 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

The SPFL is yet to decide the fate of the current campaign, which is on hold indefinitely.

McInnes, whose side are fourth in the Scottish Premiership, says the league body faces "tough decisions".

"If there’s a way this can be finished, we need to not give up on that too soon," he told BBC Scotland.

"But we’re all realistic enough to know that it’s becoming less and less likely.

"The likelihood is Celtic would go on and win the league so maybe that decision - if we can’t get the league finished - might be easier to deal with, unless you’re a Rangers supporter, and I see a lot of common sense in that."

Hearts owner Ann Budge has said her club, currently bottom of the top flight, will take legal advice if they are relegated because of an early finish to the season, believing there to be a "number of areas" to contest.

Budge has mooted the idea of league reconstruction, where the top flight would expand from 12 teams to 14, taking in the top two in the Championship.

But Uefa sent a letter to national associations warning European places could be under threat if leagues are called early.

"The Uefa statement doesn’t help, trying to apply pressure," McInnes added. "The self-interest there is clear.

"I don’t think any federation should be penalised for doing what’s fair and right for their country, including ours."

Does on the EEN article:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/why-aberdeen-boss-derek-mcinnes-doesnt-want-hearts-get-relegated-2529959

Perhaps The BBC didn’t want to include that part for some reason? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Special Officer Doofy
Koolkeith
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yeah. Papers are struggling at the moment so making up a lot of stories. Partick getting relegated doesn’t generate enough interest.

IveSeenTheLight
40 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I just noticed that your lot have not won the cup for 30 years 🤣

Only reached 3 finals in that time too 🤣

:rofl:

I'll bite my tongue

:rofl:

maroonsgotop
4 hours ago, Borders Jambo said:

The desperation on the part of the Scottish red tops to declare Celtic champions is laughable, coupled by their attempts to discredit our Club.

I would urge anyone with Hearts leanings to avoid the Sun and the Record, including the online editions despite their clickbait attempts.  

I've had nothing to do with the Sun since Hillsborough in 1989 (and not much before that). I will not even pick up one their freebies at the Airport

Edited by maroonsgotop
ri Alban
On 04/04/2020 at 15:16, Taffin said:

I think lockdown will be relaxed in May as well and we'll see some businesses re-open.

I'm hoping building sites will be back at the end of April. 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

Yeh I agree 

Can’t believe a Hearts fan is supporting a 30-40% reduction in Revenue. That would put us back years in terms of developing the club. In fact I’m not even sure FoH could oversee the club in a lower league and would probably want AB to stick around until we are back on top flight. 
Don’t think anyone should be under any illusions as to how damaging one season in a lower league is to a football club. 

soonbe110
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Unlikely but they will be one of the first business sectors to return I’d think. 

ri Alban
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Unlikely but they will be one of the first business sectors to return I’d think. 

Agree. 

Boozers etc... The last. 

soonbe110
45 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Does on the EEN article:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/why-aberdeen-boss-derek-mcinnes-doesnt-want-hearts-get-relegated-2529959

Perhaps The BBC didn’t want to include that part for some reason? 🤷‍♂️

He certainly wanted it said. Probably promoting the hopes of his next employer. 

Mikey1874
58 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You'd be better off listening to his interview then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p088pj8s

Starts 43.12 

The obvious solution is to declare the league finished as it stands with no relegation this year . It's a no brainier and the best solution to limit the impact of loses for every club . 

A byproduct is its a great chance to trial a 14 team league next year and see how it is received. 

I still believe the biggest obstacle to this will be the clubs themselves. If it goes to a vote I could see a few voting against it , reluctant to see the bigger picture. 

That's the Scotland we live in football wise I'm afraid , petty tribalistic and ultimately utterly embarrassing . 

The Real Maroonblood
54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So does my grandson. 

I find myself agreeing with McInnes. Strange times we live in. 

Just announce a 14 team league ffs. 

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )