SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

LarrysRightFoot
12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don’t thinks that’s true either.. as I say the situation is bad of course but not in comparison to our neighbours.. as someone above said - there are local peaks which are very high.. Dumfries and Galloway for instance

A35438EC-1CC6-4C97-A050-721E4FA91BF6.jpeg

Yeh I saw 1.3 for Scotland - think it was 1.2 in England out with London/South East. It’s was a couple of days ago - might have been the BBC, can’t remember.

LarrysRightFoot
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

From the Celtic trip thread. 

I don’t think that applies to ‘elite’ sports people. 

21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

From the Celtic trip thread. 

So Celtic staff have 10 days to isolate from last Friday......although they are only being 'asked' to do so

Will the pressure from the trip mean they will do so ?

Not only mondays match in doubt but also next weekends

Or does it apply in their case re elite sports ?.....maybe it will at least get those cheating C list celebs back home

Edited by CJGJ

4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

So Celtic staff have 10 days to isolate from last Friday......although they are only being 'asked' to do so

They have probably returned from 'isolation' countries during their European ties abroad and their international players too.

An elite sport exemption will no doubt trump.

6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Elite sports exempt from quarantine 

Toxteth O'Grady

This is Scottish Government putting  it into the Football Governing bodies hands. If Celtic don’t get hammered they will shut down football.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don’t think that applies to ‘elite’ sports people. 

We shall have to wait and see, especially with a player testing positive and if they we’re all flying back together. 

1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

This is Scottish Government putting  it into the Football Governing bodies hands. If Celtic don’t get hammered they will shut down football.

If I was Celtic (22 points behind) I'd be volunteering for the quarantine....

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Or does it apply in their case re elite sports ?.....maybe it will at least get those cheating C list celebs back home

It’s not been clarified yet. 

We know what will happen. The championship and below will be called null and void. That protects brechin again and means the premiership can continue without any risk of relegation. They got away with it last year they are still annoyed with us from the court case and there will be nothing stopping them

3 minutes ago, connlach said:

We know what will happen. The championship and below will be called null and void. That protects brechin again and means the premiership can continue without any risk of relegation. They got away with it last year they are still annoyed with us from the court case and there will be nothing stopping them

Always look on the bright side of like. Not!

12 minutes ago, connlach said:

How can they cancel a league that will finish?

Their main defence in the court case was relegation and promotion are fundamentals of Football. The ship has sailed for the above. 

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, connlach said:

We need to get to 75% of the season played before mid June.. 10 fixtures.. 

I think we will be fine. 

35 minutes ago, connlach said:

Saves the bottom six teams too.

46 minutes ago, connlach said:

Needing 8 Championship teams to vote for that would be one major factor that's stopping them.

Dunfermline would be crazy to vote for it plus other teams in playoff contention and Inverness took a principled stand last season so would expect the same again from them.

There is no obvious financial incentive to give up on the league this season for enough Championship teams.

35 minutes ago, Rods said:

How can they cancel a league that will finish?

Their main defence in the court case was relegation and promotion are fundamentals of Football. The ship has sailed for the above. 

I think @connlach post is ok.

how can you be sure the league will finish?

UK and SG govs could easily make restrictions that would stop our league in particular.

The Euros are to be played in June.

These wankers will easily put together a null and void argument that not enough games have been played.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I think @connlach post is ok.

how can you be sure the league will finish?

UK and SG govs could easily make restrictions that would stop our league in particular.

The Euros are to be played in June.

These wankers will easily put together a null and void argument that not enough games have been played.

We can still play when the euros are on, it’s only elite leagues that need to be finished. Gordon might be away with Scotland but I doubt anyone else would. 

20 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Needing 8 Championship teams to vote for that would be one major factor that's stopping them.

Dunfermline would be crazy to vote for it plus other teams in playoff contention and Inverness took a principled stand last season so would expect the same again from them.

There is no obvious financial incentive to give up on the league this season for enough Championship teams.

Im not so sure, if the championship ended now everyone would get their prize money and the clubs could fire all their players on furlough.  They aren’t making any money from fans through the gate so ending the season now would actually be financially beneficial for clubs.  

Save all the wage money that is being wasted playing games behind closed doors. 

A lot less football games up here than down south. It's easily manageable. If it's ever in doubt just have a month long circuit breaker and finish the season up to 75% and call it.

Anything else and I'm done with Scottish fitba.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

It will be the same as it has been this whole Covid. The Scottish government pass the buck to the football authorities but giving very stern words about last chances, disappointing etc. The football authorities will give strong words to member clubs, talk about how Scottish football needs to take things seriously, they then slap Celtic on the wrist but say that they feel it was the faut of Lennon and players not Celtic FC. Suspended fines all round. They then announce they will restrict lower leagues as they think thats where the problem is (so they can look like they are doing something.)

Ultimately the problem is not solved as no one wants to take ownership and face the backlash from Celtic fans, Celtic get away with it again, other clubs suffer to protect Celtic. Celtic fans still go on about their being a conspiracy against Celtic.

kingantti1874
33 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

tbh, I think a lot of teams would like hearts out of that league now as well.  They will know by now we aren’t a cash cow, and the will know that in all likelihood they would be condemning themselves to yet another year with no promotion.

2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Im not so sure, if the championship ended now everyone would get their prize money and the clubs could fire all their players on furlough.  They aren’t making any money from fans through the gate so ending the season now would actually be financially beneficial for clubs.  

Save all the wage money that is being wasted playing games behind closed doors. 

I believe that the clubs have not even received last season's prize money yet so money for this season seems unlikely to be imminent under any circumstances.

Also, the TV companies got massive refunds/discounts last season which surely be applicable again, especially as I'd be surprised if general lockdown restrictions aren't relaxed somewhat by April at the latest.

The grants provided by the SG to the lower league clubs would make it extremely hard to justify simply sacking the league for selfish financial reasons.

There is also no guarantee that furlough will even be an option for much longer as the government will be able to extend it much further especially once the most vulnerable have all be offered vaccination.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

We need to get to 75% of the season played before mid June.. 10 fixtures.. 

I think we will be fine. 

My fear is that as we're only playing 75% of the season this season, they're would be an expectation that they're all completed before the possibility of anything like that

Footballfirst

IIRC the SPFL had considered the possibility of curtailing the Premiership at the split and having a season of 33 games.  That could still be achieved with a pause for a few weeks.

Let's be honest, football isn't an essential service, not sure why it's even being played during a full lockdown. 

I can see it being shelved for a few weeks

If the whole first team have to go into quarantine, can they be forced to play the matches with youth team players that didn't go to Dubai? What a laugh that would be.

Was it not St.Midden that were forced to play a game when they had half the first team missing?

7 minutes ago, jim747 said:

If the whole first team have to go into quarantine, can they be forced to play the matches with youth team players that didn't go to Dubai? What a laugh that would be.

Was it not St.Midden that were forced to play a game when they had half the first team missing?

Against celtic in 86.  Maybe on the pitch but posted missing!!

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Against celtic in 86.  Maybe on the pitch but posted missing!!

It's funny cos it's true.

26 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Let's be honest, football isn't an essential service, not sure why it's even being played during a full lockdown. 

We've been in lockdown for almost a full year. Still being able to watch football on tv offers us that brief period of normality, which is needed, IMO.

Hagar the Horrible
59 minutes ago, jim747 said:

They would have had to play without a proper keeper had we not leant them our dud, they would have been bertter without Bobby.  But Celtic should either play with youths or forfeit the game

William H. Bonney

Matt Hancock is giving the 5pm briefing today. Surely if elite sports were to be suspended, Boris would be the one to inform us. 
Seems unlikely a decision, if any will be announced today. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

in general I’d support this , but I don’t think sport is anywhere near the biggest issue we have just now - other areas to be tackled first ..

and also, I wouldn’t underestimate the importance of something to watch / be interested in on TV  for the metal Heath of the nation. 

kingantti1874
46 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

We've been in lockdown for almost a full year. Still being able to watch football on tv offers us that brief period of normality, which is needed, IMO.

agreed. Especially at this time of the year

2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

For once, I hope Hibs hammer them. Does that make me a bad person?

Yes. Yes it does 😀

LarrysRightFoot

The situation, according to most people quoted on the news, is the worst it’s been and will be for a number of weeks yet. 

Shutting down ‘elite sport’ (stupid term given what’s included) will be considered- no point denying it won’t be. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

This lockdown could go on up until May, which is quite a bit more than a few weeks.

LarrysRightFoot
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This lockdown could go on up until May, which is quite a bit more than a few weeks.

The government have a lot riding on the end of March - end of furlough and things like the stamp duty exemption etc. - I think they will push for that deadline at the latest to ease restrictions. 

35 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The situation, according to most people quoted on the news, is the worst it’s been and will be for a number of weeks yet. 

Shutting down ‘elite sport’ (stupid term given what’s included) will be considered- no point denying it won’t be. 

We are probably just about coping just now in NHS Scotland, but there will be some horrible personal situations, people sent home to die, instead of end of life hospital care (mentioned on the Covid thread) to free up beds and so on.

We are far from where parts of England are, increasing ICU capacity x 4 and heading towards towards 'true' ICU admissions only, cancelling operations for up to a year.

This may not do us any good as we are not in a compulsory testing league, but the football should continue for the release but by **** it needs to change it's attitude to Covid.  

Locking down 'elite sports' will save Celtic's arses and humiliation.

I bet Lawell is on the phone with Nicola right now demanding that she does this!

If it is going to happen, please don't lock it down until tomorrow!!

What this has highlighted is that the term "elite" can be worked round. Celtic have proven that. Their official response was this was an elite club going on essential training, when in reality it was just a jolly, like they have every year. They have excellent training facilities here so no need to go anywhere. This loophole can easily be closed by removing the "elite" and placing every club under the same rules as each other and the rest of society. It would not surprise me if the SG did this. 

Horatio Caine
59 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

They would have had to play without a proper keeper had we not leant them our dud, they would have been bertter without Bobby.  But Celtic should either play with youths or forfeit the game

Villa had to put out a youth team for their cup tie with Liverpool.  Why would Celtic be any different? Oh yes, I forgot...

All games suspended in Scotland other than SPFL & Championship (subject to having testing in place), to be reviewed on 31st Jan. 

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )