SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They still wont admit they only have themselves to blame. Tough shit.

Did Doncaster ever give them that TV money from last season?

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I am sure the hospitality businesses closed and people out of work this Christmas will hold up a glass to toast them. 🤔

Nobody [particularly politicians] wants to shut down businesses , put people out of work , stop people enjoying themselves

Simple reason , it loses you votes .

Owner of several pubs in Aberdeen was moaning how he would have to shut at 6 on Friday there , his busiest day of the year . Most of us have probably been out and about from work on this day . Absolute carnage in my experience , from both sides of the bar

11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not that I'm aware of.

47 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Spent it all on hair products, probably... 

4 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

The muppets on Sisterfister.net are not too amused either...not one of the two pages I just read even comment on the possibility of them have the option of the loan, just almost all greeting about us.

Tbf some do mention how PT have been shafted.

A couple also claim that this money must not be used for transfers but I haven’t read anything about that stipulation although it probably should be the case.

Believe it is one of the conditions of the grant. Club needs to be able to prove it had the cash available for transfer fees and seeing out the season prior to taking grant 

hope it's clear now why decisions about fans returning to grounds should be left to those in government and not those running football clubs. hopefully we can stop the stupid comparisons with England and focus on looking after each other.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Ribble said:

Its an impossible stipulation, you can simply use it to pay bills that free’s up 500k that you can then use for transfers, no way to enforce it without an all out transfer ban

Would be fantastic if we used it to gazzump Hibs and D Utd to sign someone like Ross Stewart.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Would be fantastic if we used it to gazzump Hibs and D Utd to sign someone like Ross Stewart.

2 goals in 18 games. Sounds about right for us.

29 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Both penalties.

No open play goals in the league for over a year (24 games).

Footballfirst

https://www.gov.scot/news/emergency-funding-for-football/

A full breakdown of the grant allocations is as follows:

Championship £5 million
League One £1.5 million
League Two £1 million
Tier 5 £1,100,000
Tier 6 £650,000
Tier 7 £950,000
Scottish Women’s Football League 1 £150,000
Scottish Women’s Football League 2 £20,000
North Caledonian Football League £24,000
Scottish FA £750,000
Scottish Amateur FA £100,000
Scottish Junior FA £12,750
Scottish Schools FA £12,750
Scottish Welfare FA £12,750
Scottish Women's FA £20,000
Scottish Youth FA £35,000
Para ANA £12,750

Edited by Footballfirst

43 minutes ago, Jambos56 said:

Kettlewell sacked 4 points adrift take your medicine😀

Seems a bit odd, after putting out Celtic a few weeks ago.    Maybe having Steven Ferguson in the wings tempted McGregor to pull the trigger now ?     Wonder if they'll go for Derek Adams ?   Seeing them relegated would be beautiful regardless of who the manager is

10 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

The more I think about this the more I feel uneasy about football clubs being handed tax payers money. There’s surely many better cause sour there that are badly needing funds.

Hell no there isn't 

24 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Care to elaborate?

Half hearted joke, but on the serious side a club like hearts contributes massively to the mental, financial and physical wellbeing of a wide range of people, not just fans. I think k this is overlooked sometimes.

Not happy in the slightest that my tax money is being used on a Scottish Football bail out. 

Irresponsible use of public funds from the Govt. 

16 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Not happy in the slightest that my tax money is being used on a Scottish Football bail out. 

Irresponsible use of public funds from the Govt. 

In the week we're the sick man of Europe for Drug deaths you have a fair point.

On 18/12/2020 at 17:29, henryheart said:

Let's be honest. The Hearts support in 1977/78 had a fair number of nutcases and while we had no exclusivity on bad behaviour, we had the worst reputation in Scotland at the time and it was well deserved. Why? Perhaps it was because Hearts had the biggest support in the First Division and we attracted an increased number of brave nutters because they didn't have to deal with the size of the Celtic and Rangers support? Frankly a lot of the behaviour from these idiots was shameful. In all my time travelling away this was the most challenging from a personal safety perspective. We were the big boys coming to town and because these clowns had created a reputation for us all the local village idiots came out to play and they were not selective on who they picked on - anyone wearing a maroon scarf was fair play. It dragged into the next season, culminating in the Hibs riot after which the segregation fence went up. Eventually most of the loonies drifted away but not before they had spoiled it for the rest of us who liked to change ends at half time. I'm glad that it is no longer like that.

I remember it well, if a Morton fan is annoyed at our fans during that season, I'm sure the good people of Dumfries will be even more put out.  Hearts fans ran riot down there.

On 18/12/2020 at 19:04, ToqueJambo said:

Why would we? We're in the Championship where they wanted us so we'll take what Championship clubs get.

Spot on.  Our unfair demotion has cost us far more than £500k.  Great for us get some free money while the likes of Hibs have to go into debt if they want some financial relief.

I wonder how the loans will work, will they be seen as a loan from the SG, or a loan from the SPFL funded by SG money?  I suspect it will be the former, but would be good if it was the latter, as it would be deemed a footballing debt, so any club going into administration would still be liable to pay that money back..

On 18/12/2020 at 22:26, Last Laff said:

We just got £500k that we don't have to pay back.   We also maybe should have put in a compensation claim instead of losing a court case to the SPFL.

The whole point of the court case was to gain compensation, we weren't asking to be reinstated to the Premiership, the court couldn't force that to happen.  We were seeking significant financial compensation for what we claimed was a breach of company law, in that other member clubs failed to act in the utmost good faith.  We lost the case, but there was no other avenue to pursue to gain any sort of compensation.  For the SPFL to pay us compensation would be an admittance that they'd screwed us over.

13 hours ago, 1953 said:

They think it should be means tested or failing that we should do the decent thing and donate it to clubs less fortunate. 

Maybe they should have donated the £50k of James Anderson's money they were happy to take to less fortunate clubs, after all their multi millionaire owner probably makes that amount in a week.

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

https://www.gov.scot/news/emergency-funding-for-football/

A full breakdown of the grant allocations is as follows:

Championship £5 million
League One £1.5 million
League Two £1 million
Tier 5 £1,100,000
Tier 6 £650,000
Tier 7 £950,000
Scottish Women’s Football League 1 £150,000
Scottish Women’s Football League 2 £20,000
North Caledonian Football League £24,000
Scottish FA £750,000
Scottish Amateur FA £100,000
Scottish Junior FA £12,750
Scottish Schools FA £12,750
Scottish Welfare FA £12,750
Scottish Women's FA £20,000
Scottish Youth FA £35,000
Para ANA £12,750

Tier 7? I bet that's brutal, when you can't open the curtains in case the covid sees you

10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

We have significant, un-budgetted Brasso expenditure on the near horizon.  This cash will come in very handy.

We'll also have the costs of extending the museum to accommodate the 2020 cup winners exhibit.

6 hours ago, Gambo said:

Is he injury prone, or is that too much to ask for?

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Tier 7? I bet that's brutal, when you can't open the curtains in case the covid sees you

There are 66 clubs at tier 7 in the EOS and WOS plus another 12 sitting out the season in the WOS.

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

No, that's tier 6.  Tier 7 is when you stay in bed under the duvet wearing an oxygen mask and protective clothing, and only get out of bed once a day to have a bath in strong disinfectants, while still wearing your oxygen mask, which you replace when you get out of the bath.  Your bath of course needs to be as high a temperature that you can bear, because covid doesn't like high temperatures.  My heating bill is going through the roof at the moment, as it's like living in a sauna.  However, that's more than compensated by the fact that I have next to **** all else to spend my money on other than basic essentials, like wine and takeaway food.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Not allowed for signings?

But we are already lining up 2 or 3 signings in January. 

So how does that work? Do we

have to prove that we’ve put the £500k somewhere and other money is being used?

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

20 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its certainly a topic for debate with good reasons both ways.

Some clubs are up against it financially in the lower leagues.  With a bit of luck one or two will go to the wall in the premiership, with others carrying unsubstainable debts.

I had a day off yesterday - first day of my xmas break - and was travelling about the city and it was sad to see so many businesses closed for good (notably hospitality) and some with "lease for sale" boards despite still being open.

I like my gigs and had 12 of them booked up for the year back in February.  The venues must be taking one hell of a hit as they will be the last to reopen.

Anyway, this debate will go to the shed.

I also see all these other sports clubs such as bowling clubs sitting idle for months. These places truly are hubs for the older generation to keep in touch. 

And yes, the creative arts caters for a lot more people than Cowdenbeath FC. 

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Tier 8 Boris just turns up and bums you. 

Things beginning to unravel in England's lower divisions

A number of clubs beginning to show signs of a spreading disease........with no mandatory testing in place we will never know the full extent of the spread in the 'football industry'

Only when an issue is flagged does action take place and it seems that because of a lack of testing we are either ignoring the facts the virus is more widespread or perhaps football protocols such as they are are helping to reduce the spread

This of course is the same in Scotland at the lower levels......should football really be any different than that of any other business ?

There is no regular testing at the majority of workplaces and they are still trading 'normally' so should we just accept this and that we are part of a wider society

On 20/12/2020 at 11:56, gjcc said:

It’s the indecision that gets you.

:look:

Gorgie Boot boy
On 20/12/2020 at 11:56, gjcc said:

Tier nine , you bum yourself.

16 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Interesting but worrying. 

Paul Lambert: EFL is 'putting people's lives at risk' with scarcity of testing, says Ipswich Town boss https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55413489

I've not being following SPL this year.

At the start, were players not to get tested at least weekly(maybe twice).

Is this happening?

13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I've not being following SPL this year.

At the start, were players not to get tested at least weekly(maybe twice).

Is this happening?

I think it relates more to our league where testing isn’t mandatory. 

ToadKiller Dog

I certainly would have fear over a circuit breaker put in place in Scotland, high potential that the powers that be might not switch the power back on.

From what I see most clubs seems to be doing OK with the virus if that's just chance or hard work I dont know ,but this new strain might be too much .

We certainly can only keep winning games and do our best .

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )