SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

40 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

I thought we got a parachute payment?

That is standard payment to relegated clubs after 38 games. I assume we did get that. 

It's not compensation for being demoted in unique circumstances when there were other alternatives.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

I must have missed that - all I read from other chairman was more or less “take your medicine”!

Any link to who said we should be compensated?

I'm sure Les Gray said they should be compensated around when he was saying it was unfair on the demoted clubs, which is ridiculous because he voted for it. Of course he didn't mean it mind you.

53 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There isn’t one. 

During all the shenanigans at end of last season I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly) that Hearts would get a parachute payment of £300,000 (20/21) with more to follow (it won’t be required!) the following season (21/22) if not promoted at first attempt.

Just now, Jambo-Fox said:

During all the shenanigans at end of last season I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly) that Hearts would get a parachute payment of £300,000 (20/21) with more to follow (it won’t be required!) the following season (21/22) if not promoted at first attempt.

Same as Dundee got a parachute payment when they got relegated in 2019. As did Partick Thistle and Ross County when they were relegated in 2018. Standard, normal payment. Not compensation.

8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Never knew mate, thats my fault for not checking into it more.

Weirdly I think Ice Hockey is getting £2m

Would be nice to see us offering to share monies with Partick and Stranraer (£250,000 each)... it would be funny to see them getting far more than the tinpots they share a league with.

Edited by Rogue Daddy

Neil Dongcaster
15 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Would be nice to see us offering to share monies with Partick and Stranraer (£250,000 each)... it would be funny to see them getting far more than the tinpots they share a league with.

No it wouldn’t. Spunk the £500k on a hair band sporting cultured attacking midfielder from South America.

16 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

No it wouldn’t. Spunk the £500k on a hair band sporting cultured attacking midfielder from South America.

And loan him to Stranraer

10 hours ago, Fly the Saltire said:

No thanks to SPFL, Doncaster and Cormack who have been slating the government

Correct. 

kingantti1874

I’d prefer that my taxes weren’t used for football tbh. That aside.. I look upon this as compensation for the shit we’ve put up with.. 

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

We should spunk it on the modern day equivalent of Gordan Petric, whoever that is. 

or an Antti Niemi......

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’d prefer that my taxes weren’t used for football tbh. That aside.. I look upon this as compensation for the shit we’ve put up with.. 

The downside is it keeps Morton in business! 😏

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

That is a downside.

How are our neighbours at other side of town taking this news?

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

it will.. tbh though mate, I’ve been getting a bit worried again they would torpedo the championship season full stop.

no excuses now.

11 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Some quick arithmetic.

In the last full season (2018/2019) Alloa had a total league attendance of just 21,215 (average 1178). So assuming an average entry price of £15, that would imply league gate money of about £318,000. If anything that is probably higher than the true figure if you allow for concessions; and VAT needs to come off.

So it appears to me that with a £500,000 hand out, Alloa are being heavily over-compensated for lost gate money; and that probably applies to a lesser extent to Arbroath, QoS and Morton. Meanwhile,  Falkirk and Partick Thistle......

Tbh there’s more ‘losses’ than just league ticket cash. Theres also probably atleast half a dozen cup games, losses due to not selling programmes/food/drink etc and the costs of adding in Covid safety measures.

Might still be slightly less than £500k but probably not a lot less.

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

it will.. tbh though mate, I’ve been getting a bit worried again they would torpedo the championship season full stop.

no excuses now.

That’s my feeling too. That money should now ensure  the Championship  is played out to its conclusion. 

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

no excuses now.

Good point mate! ...was always in the back of my mind also.

21 minutes ago, Gambo said:

That is a downside.

How are our neighbours at other side of town taking this news?

They think it should be means tested or failing that we should do the decent thing and donate it to clubs less fortunate. 

The Future's Maroon
6 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

St Mirren must be seething 😂 

The muppets on Sisterfister.net are not too amused either...not one of the two pages I just read even comment on the possibility of them have the option of the loan, just almost all greeting about us.

Tbf some do mention how PT have been shafted.

A couple also claim that this money must not be used for transfers but I haven’t read anything about that stipulation although it probably should be the case.

3 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

The muppets on Sisterfister.net are not too amused either...not one of the two pages I just read even comment on the possibility of them have the option of the loan, just almost all greeting about us.

A couple also claim that this money must not be used for transfers but I haven’t read anything about that stipulation although it probably should be the case.

Hearts can account for this as salaries.

NaturalOrder74
3 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Lol it’ll probably get turned into an excuse for losing to us in the semi in a few years 

7 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Stephen McGowan reporting that it can't be used for transfers...

CASH.jpg

9 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

The usage thing is irrelevant anyway, even if it is true, as it just frees up money elsewhere. 

Just now, Rogue Daddy said:

CASH.jpg

As I said above, Hearts can simply lodge it against any number of overheads like wages, running costs for the stadium, etc.

Just now, davemclaren said:

The usage thing is irrelevant anyway, even if it is true, as it just frees up money elsewhere. 

Precisely - its all down to how you declare it in your accounts.

Skivingatwork

Any statement of thanks from Doncaster and/or the SPFL? 

A cynic might suggest that he was only arguing for the return of fans as his puppet master can see how much their absence is hurting celtic.

The Future's Maroon
13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Hearts can account for this as salaries.

8 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

CASH.jpg

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Thanks, avoid the red tops now a days!

Neil Dongcaster

The more I think about this the more I feel uneasy about football clubs being handed tax payers money. There’s surely many better cause sour there that are badly needing funds.

2 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

The more I think about this the more I feel uneasy about football clubs being handed tax payers money. There’s surely many better cause sour there that are badly needing funds.

Its certainly a topic for debate with good reasons both ways.

Some clubs are up against it financially in the lower leagues.  With a bit of luck one or two will go to the wall in the premiership, with others carrying unsubstainable debts.

I had a day off yesterday - first day of my xmas break - and was travelling about the city and it was sad to see so many businesses closed for good (notably hospitality) and some with "lease for sale" boards despite still being open.

I like my gigs and had 12 of them booked up for the year back in February.  The venues must be taking one hell of a hit as they will be the last to reopen.

Anyway, this debate will go to the shed.

6 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

How about £20m for rugby which no-one who didn't get a ticket through Daddy's firm actually watches? 

Or £1.5bn for the 'arts', presumably opera and ballet which is enjoyed by seldom few elite punters?! 

Football has a massive cultural impact on this country, and is exactly the sort of thing governments should be looking to assist, providing the cash isn't just going into player's and agent's pockets, and the loan/grant setup seems to avoid that quite neatly. 

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

How about £20m for rugby which no-one who didn't get a ticket through Daddy's firm actually watches? 

Or £1.5bn for the 'arts', presumably opera and ballet which is enjoyed by seldom few elite punters?! 

Football has a massive cultural impact on this country, and is exactly the sort of thing governments should be looking to assist, providing the cash isn't just going into player's and agent's pockets, and the loan/grant setup seems to avoid that quite neatly. 

I'll give you the Rugby point, but the Arts have taken a hammering - theatres, music, right up to the opera and ballet.

I like my gigs and I guess some of that money will go to sustaining the venues who will be last to reopen due to mass gathering restrictions.

Neil Dongcaster
3 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I understand the cultural importance of both the arts and sports. However 1 in 4 Scottish children live in poverty how much of a difference to that number could this money have made.

22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

As I said above, Hearts can simply lodge it against any number of overheads like wages, running costs for the stadium, etc.

Budge has already confirmed we will be funding Robbie’s January transfer requirements.

Lets hope we sign a couple of crackers as the tears and snotters down Lochend will be lovely! 😊

1 minute ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I understand the cultural importance of both the arts and sports. However 1 in 4 Scottish children live in poverty how much of a difference to that number could this money have made.

It’s not just cultural it’s also economic.

So you just throw the employees of the arts under a bus and make them retrain as shelve stackers?  You are confusing two very different issues.

The main objective with covid funding needs to be to keep as many businesses and jobs ticking over until the post-vaccine recovery as possible.

Neil Dongcaster
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So you just throw the employees of the arts under a bus and make them retrain as shelve stackers?  You are confusing two very different issues.

The main objective with covid funding needs to be to keep as many businesses and jobs ticking over until the post-vaccine recovery as possible.

There are no right answers. I understand all arguments. I simply don’t see the economic or cultural benefit of giving Alloa £500,000 that’s about £25 for every person that lives in Alloa!

There are no right answers. I understand all arguments. I simply don’t see the economic or cultural benefit of giving Alloa £500,000 that’s about £25 for every person that lives in Alloa!

Fair enough, I'm surprised its not related to turnover from last year.

On the other hand, I can't help have a snigger at the seethe coming from Lochend. :rofl:

34 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

CASH.jpg

Its an impossible stipulation, you can simply use it to pay bills that free’s up 500k that you can then use for transfers, no way to enforce it without an all out transfer ban

15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'll give you the Rugby point, but the Arts have taken a hammering - theatres, music, right up to the opera and ballet.

I like my gigs and I guess some of that money will go to sustaining the venues who will be last to reopen due to mass gathering restrictions.

Correct, I’m involved with an arts charity and this year has seen massive cuts in funding across the sector. That coupled with an inability to self fund through normal trading has put huge pressure on the charity, it’s not something like opera or ballet (that do have their own cultural value) and we in normal years do loads of outreach work with kids and the elderly in some very deprived areas allowing them access to art that they otherwise wouldn’t get. 

22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I agree wholeheartedly on the music venue point, but would interesting to see the breakdown of how that £1.5bn is being distributed. As far as I can see, only £3m has made its way to venues, while the usual suspects who're always at the front of the queue when it comes to governemtn funding are taking the lion's share. 

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Fair enough, I'm surprised its not related to turnover from last year.

On the other hand, I can't help have a snigger at the seethe coming from Lochend. :rofl:

They still wont admit they only have themselves to blame. Tough shit.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )