SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

48 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Personally think the SG have been smart here. Telling the top division, you shafted all those below you for your precious( but actually shitey) Sky deal, therefore we will give you a loan upto £2M which you will have to pay back. 

Those in the leagues below you will be given grants as their need is far greater than yours.

Maybe not one club, but you shit on them from a great height, so now you are reaping what you sow.

What Doncaster/Lawell have forgotten is that Heart of Midlothian have direct communication to the SG as confirmed by our CEO on Sportsound which was ignored by all and sundry on that programme at the time.

We do our business quietly out the limelight, like all good businesses should.

We dont give the SG veiled threats.

We work with, not against.

Absolutely JF.

Scot Gardiner made some good points last week however, if I recollect:-

1. He moaned about schools being open.  Sure he mentioned his wife being a teacher.  No-one in Europe is getting their industry prioritised above schooling.

2. He moaned about rugby's portion of funding and whether their request for more fans will get prioritised above football, which I doubt as it's just a mass event.  Why not work with rugby instead of decrying it?

3. Believing sponsors should be part of the 'football bubble' to travel to Inverness from high prevelant Covid areas so that ICT could hold the Cup Final.  Just, WTF.

4. Trying to throw other industries under the bus where as with 1, the SG approach, whether folks agree with or not, isn't that disimilar elsewhere.

As Tom English says whoever is advising Scottish football on their strategy, seriously needs to have a re-think.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

13 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Partick Thistle pissed on again by the Scottish football association.  One game in hand over Queen of the south but because season ended early they stay in championship and get grant of £500,000 while we get demoted and only get grant of £150,000

Valid point.

32 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Partick Thistle pissed on again by the Scottish football association.  One game in hand over Queen of the south but because season ended early they stay in championship and get grant of £500,000 while we get demoted and only get grant of £150,000

£500k for part time Alloa Athletic

£150k for full time Partick/Falkirk

And he’s not praying!
48 minutes ago, third lanark said:

A ****in disgrace, bud.

I hope our 500k free money is used wisely...

For example, it could be divided up and thrown on top of a roaring bonfire outside every one of these wee tin pot club's stadiums.

Perhaps it could be used to advertise which dodgy streaming site is showing our away games?

Maybe it could buy Cappielow and turn it into an (official) safe-consumption zone?

3 minutes ago, Longbaws said:

For example, it could be divided up and thrown on top of a roaring bonfire outside every one of these wee tin pot club's stadiums.

Perhaps it could be used to advertise which dodgy streaming site is showing our away games?

Maybe it could buy Cappielow and turn it into an (official) safe-consumption zone?

What would we do with the remaining £499k?

4 minutes ago, Longbaws said:

What would we do with the other £499k?

11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

What would we do with the remaining £499k?

I'm afraid every penny of that would be needed as part of the decontamination costs 

3 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Thank you for the cash Scottish Government. 

indeed.  That’ll do nicely. To go along with our benefactors and FOH payments. Read and weep vermin

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

indeed.  That’ll do nicely. To go along with our benefactors and FOH payments. Read and weep vermin

Some extra cash awaits just in case.

Doctor FinnBarr

Hang on, is it only football getting this free cash? Whats wrong with rugby clubs/pubs/shops who can't bring in any cash being handed the 33k that is being given to Highland/Lowland clubs?

2 hours ago, third lanark said:

Scandalous . The distribution of funds has obviously not been on a justification criteria otherwise Thistle should have been right up there after basically being shafted more than we were 

Guest ToqueJambo
56 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

that's brutal for PT. absolutely brutal

Says everything about the SPFL. Not just incompetent muppets, but incompetent muppets completely lacking in empathy.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo

Will be interesting to see which Prem clubs take up the offer of a loan. That's a not insignificant amount of debt to add. But if they don't take out the loan, we know they've been crying wolf.

26 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Scandalous . The distribution of funds has obviously not been on a justification criteria otherwise Thistle should have been right up there after basically being shafted more than we were 

It remains an absolute scandal that Stranraer, Partick and Hearts did not receive compensation for being demoted. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

It remains an absolute scandal that Stranraer, Partick and Hearts did not receive compensation for being demoted. 

Seriously? Even clubs that voted us down like Hamilton, and their guy on the board, made noises about us being due compensation. I assumed we'd got some but quietly, quietly.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Seriously? Even clubs that voted us down like Hamilton, and their guy on the board, made noises about us being due compensation. I assumed we'd got some but quietly, quietly.

It was left to the SFA arbitration panel.

Who ruled no compensation was due. Even if there was a possibility of compensation being discussed by kind and insightful people like Rod Petrie, the Arbitration Panel's ruling ruled that out. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

We just got £500k that we don't have to pay back.   We also maybe should have put in a compensation claim instead of losing a court case to the SPFL.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (£500k grant to Hearts)
Fly the Saltire
59 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Thank you for the cash Scottish Government. 

No thanks to SPFL, Doncaster and Cormack who have been slating the government

8 minutes ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

We should sign a player for £500K in January just to take the piss

Or buy Morton and close them down? 

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Hang on, is it only football getting this free cash? Whats wrong with rugby clubs/pubs/shops who can't bring in any cash being handed the 33k that is being given to Highland/Lowland clubs?

Other sports are getting it too, there’s also grants for pub for instance around £900 a month if they’re closed. 

19 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Any links?

Doctor FinnBarr
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Other sports are getting it too, there’s also grants for pub for instance around £900 a month if they’re closed. 

Never knew mate, thats my fault for not checking into it more.

Niemi’s gloves

Some quick arithmetic.

In the last full season (2018/2019) Alloa had a total league attendance of just 21,215 (average 1178). So assuming an average entry price of £15, that would imply league gate money of about £318,000. If anything that is probably higher than the true figure if you allow for concessions; and VAT needs to come off.

So it appears to me that with a £500,000 hand out, Alloa are being heavily over-compensated for lost gate money; and that probably applies to a lesser extent to Arbroath, QoS and Morton. Meanwhile,  Falkirk and Partick Thistle......

29 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I must have missed that - all I read from other chairman was more or less “take your medicine”!

Any link to who said we should be compensated?

The Old Tolbooth
27 minutes ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

We should sign a player for £500K in January just to take the piss

That’s exactly my thoughts too mate, just spend it on a player and let the seethe ensue, I’d piss myself at that! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That’s exactly my thoughts too mate, just spend it on a player and let the seethe ensue, I’d piss myself at that! 

Buy that McGrath boy from St Mirren 

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Buy that McGrath boy from St Mirren 

Not gonna lie, I haven’t watched a single top flight game this season and don’t intend to, I couldn’t even tell you if he’s any good or not mate 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

It was left to the SFA arbitration panel.

Who ruled no compensation was due. Even if there was a possibility of compensation being discussed by kind and insightful people like Rod Petrie, the Arbitration Panel's ruling ruled that out. 

I thought we got a parachute payment?

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Never knew mate, thats my fault for not checking into it more.

No probs. Just glad we’re getting £500k and these top flight snakes can get into even more debt. It should save any lower league club having money problems though. 

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )