SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

On Sportsound 2 weeks ago when Doncaster and Cormack were moaning, Hearts Chief Executive Andrew McKinlay had just been speaking to the Scottish Government and made the point that he has that contact. 

Indeed he did ... eventually. Between Doncaster & Cormack bleating away (basically a lengthy version of, "It's no fair"), McKinlay didn't get a word in edgeways until late on. What's more, their issues had already been well covered by Leitch on Off the Ball. 

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

So if we were to follow the English system that should give Hearts around 700 capacity based on Spurs being allowed 2000 in a 60k stadium. To me a percentage based number is fairer than a set number for everyone. Annoyingly this means bigger numbers for the OF and a lot less for some others. 

Would it be worthwhile - financially - to open the gates for 700?

If all - or most - were ST holders, there would be little income and there would be costs: stewarding, for example.

2 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

If all - or most - were ST holders, there would be little income and there would be costs: stewarding, for example.

Only if they were paying corporate guests. 

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

If only that was what you implied when clearly it was not...We have new tiers in place these days not info from 6 months ago which is out of date

This might help you

Coronavirus Scotland: Timetable needed for return of fans at live Scots football matches, says Leonard (thescottishsun.co.uk)

OR

Under the Scottish Government's lockdown framework, clubs based in council areas placed at level 0 or level 1 can allow in very limited numbers of spectators.

But football bosses have warned the 300 capacity limit does little to help teams finanically.

Highland clubs Ross County and Inverness Caledonian Thistle are the only two professional teams able to welcome supporters under current lockdown levels.

Scotland is now at odds with the UK Government position after Boris Johnson announced clubs based in areas with the least infections could allow up to 4,000 fans back in grounds.

In a letter to MSPs on Holyrood's sports committee published today, Fitzpatrick said: "Given that the situation with the virus remains fragile – with many cases and continuing pressure on the NHS – we are taking a cautious approach, based on a maximum of 300 spectators initially.

"In terms of football, rugby etc, a maximum of 300 supporters are allowed in areas with level zero and level one restrictions.

"We are considering how and when this figure may increase – but it is important to emphasise there is no immediate prospect of an increase given the fragile situation with the virus.

Go on give us the numbers the timescale etc..there is none

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Go on give us the numbers the timescale etc..there is none

You want definite numbers and a timescale during this fast-changing pandemic situation?

6 months ago if any politician had said we'd definitely be vaccinating now they'd have been laughed out of the parliament. There is a clear pathway. When transmission in a certain region is at a low enough point, some fans are allowed back in. They've also made it clear that it's not just about fans in stadiums, it's the travel etc if all games are open to fans across the country. The main worry as discussed in this thread is probably OF fans travelling and gathering even if they have no chance of getting into the game, as that's something they like to do.

Edited by ToqueJambo

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You want definite numbers and a timescale during this fast-changing pandemic situation?

6 months ago if any politician had said we'd definitely be vaccinating now they'd have been laughed out of the parliament. There is a clear pathway. When transmission in a certain region is at a low enough point, some fans are allowed back in. They've also made it clear that it's not just about fans in stadiums, it's the travel etc if all games are open to fans across the country. The main worry as discussed in this thread is probably OF fans travelling and gathering even if they have no chance of getting into the game, as that's something they like to do.

I did not see any Rangers fans at the Ross County game last weekend and 300 fans were allowed in

Seems they managed to stop the travel and gathering with no chance of getting in

There should not be any away fans at present and that is fair enough

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I did not see any Rangers fans at the Ross County game last weekend and 300 fans were allowed in

Seems they managed to stop the travel and gathering with no chance of getting in

There should not be any away fans at present and that is fair enough

The minister you quoted has said that travel is a worry. And we all know what the OF are like. Anyhow, it seems pretty clear that if region get to a low enough tier level some fans are allowed in that region. Seems very sensible.

5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The minister you quoted has said that travel is a worry. And we all know what the OF are like. Anyhow, it seems pretty clear that if region get to a low enough tier level some fans are allowed in that region. Seems very sensible.

As does this post. There is, finally light at the end of the tunnel. To rush to open things now, particularly when cases are rising a little would be foolish

The big cheeses in football don’t seem to get the point that football isn’t as important as they think it is. As fans, we love it. However, reality is it’s pretty unimportant and way down the list of priorities. 

It would have been quite good if all clubs were offered loans.  AB turning ours down stating that we didn't want to be in debt to anyone and we live within our means.

Peruvian Ronnie biting their hands off.

14 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

The big cheeses in football don’t seem to get the point that football isn’t as important as they think it is. As fans, we love it. However, reality is it’s pretty unimportant and way down the list of priorities. 

Exactly and the big cheeses aren't taking it well, they are being exposed for what they are!

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

It would have been quite good if all clubs were offered loans.  AB turning ours down stating that we didn't want to be in debt to anyone and we live within our means.

I would rather grab the cash than take any kind of moral high ground on this 👍🏻

3 hours ago, gator said:

Exactly and the big cheeses aren't taking it well, they are being exposed for what they are!

Some of them will still grab the loans and take as much as they can. Some will even gamble that the payback will be on the never never.  In essence though taking that money will still show as a negative on their balance sheet.  A grant on the other hand.......!

Ainsley Harriott

Does anyone else get pissed off that their hard earned money paid in tax is being used to help the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen when thousands of ordinary businesses are struggling?

11 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Not sure I could be bothered with the 'I'm more entitled than you to get in, eff off Budge, Sturgeon'

:)

10 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Does anyone else get pissed off that their hard earned money paid in tax is being used to help the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen when thousands of ordinary businesses are struggling?

It certainly annoys me. The only good thing is that for them it will have to be repaid at some point.  Speaking to a hotelier the other day who was raging at how little help he was getting from the SG in comparison to what was being given down south. 

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It’s a tribal thing in told

Hagar the Horrible

It annoys me that even we could get a grant, which in the great scheme of things is just wrong, all the way down to Brechin, football has money pumped into it, all it needs is a fair and equal distribution of cash.  The top fligh will complain, but in reality they spend more money than they have income relative to say a league 2 club.  But thats not a league 2 clubs fault.  Its our problem as shareholders to keep our own business afloat, not the governments, not at the expense of using that money to support the self employed or small business!!!!!!!!!

highlandjambo3
14 minutes ago, Deevers said:

It certainly annoys me. The only good thing is that for them it will have to be repaid at some point.  Speaking to a hotelier the other day who was raging at how little help he was getting from the SG in comparison to what was being given down south. 

I have received absolutely zero help.....my as a sole trader, I don’t employ anyone in my guesthouse but, I’m still about £20k out of pocket due to around 150 cancellations ......went for help but was told that the “potential” money I had lost was not actually a loss because I had never “actually” earned it so how could I have lost it..........joke

(sorry, let’s get back on track).........these words comfort me...........FTH

41 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yes.

47 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

What annoys me more is teams like Hibs making people redundant or getting them to reduce their wages then they go out and sign players for money. If things were that bad they should not have been paying transfer fees

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

What annoys me more is teams like Hibs making people redundant or getting them to reduce their wages then they go out and sign players for money. If things were that bad they should not have been paying transfer fees

From the moment the situation looked long lasting - let's say around mid-March - all clubs should have reduced their playing staff costs as much as possible, even if it meant a less than succesful season on the pitch.

But no, they continued to recruit as if things were normal. Hibs even announced signing players in the same week they asked their players to cut costs...and then Dempster demands money from the SG !

Utterly indefensible and i hope football gets the severely shocking wake up call it richly deserves.

25 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I have received absolutely zero help.....my as a sole trader, I don’t employ anyone in my guesthouse but, I’m still about £20k out of pocket due to around 150 cancellations ......went for help but was told that the “potential” money I had lost was not actually a loss because I had never “actually” earned it so how could I have lost it..........joke

You weren't eligible for a grant ?

Similar position to you (I think) and I got a grant

Ainsley Harriott
39 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I heard they budgeted for having full crowds back by October. Dumpster lead the campaign for this money so reckon they will be front of the que on their hands and knees.

43 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I don't know who told you that, but if you were self employed and had traded in 2018/2019 and submitted your self assessment tax return by 23 April 2020 I am sure you would have been entitled to the self employed grant based on your last accounts submitted to the revenue. If you missed the first two you are still able to claim under the next tranch from November to April 2021.

If you were recently self employed and had not had previous self assessments you were entitled to a grant of £2,000 from the Scottish Government and payable through the local district council.

Sorry, completely off subject and might not cover your situation but thought it might help.

13 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I heard they budgeted for having full crowds back by October. Dumpster lead the campaign for this money so reckon they will be front of the que on their hands and knees.

Be interesting to see interest rates and repayment period for these loans to Premiership clubs. Does the Scottish government put a club into administration if it fails to repay the loan? Or is administered via the Spfl or SFA?

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Be interesting to see interest rates and repayment period for these loans to Premiership clubs. Does the Scottish government put a club into administration if it fails to repay the loan? Or is administered via the Spfl or SFA?

Also interesting to see who gets what. Wonder what The Rangers will be looking for.

24 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Also interesting to see who gets what. Wonder what The Rangers will be looking for.

They just trousered about £1.5 million for their Europa league exploits, annoyingly. 

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

They just trousered about £1.5 million for their Europa league exploits, annoyingly. 

Taking this season's Europa League prize money so far to £7.7 million. 

7 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hearts will get a Grant from the goverment. This should go someway to covering our legal battle and may help us bring in a new player.  We should be taking the grant even if we do not need the grant. If its in our pockets its not in the pockets of the rats who tried to shaft us.

If the loan is taken up by Hibs it will be another debt for them to pay when the con sells out.

This could be interesting

Edinburgh have targeted their Champions Cup match with Sale Sharks at Murrayfield on 16 January for a return of fans to their stadium.

The Pro14 club had originally hoped to begin a graduated return of a "small crowd" at their 1872 Cup derby against Glasgow Warriors on 2 January.

But the match against the English Premiership side is now the aim after talks with the Scottish government.

Scottish Rugby's Threat Management Group is "confident" it will go ahead.

However, it is subject to Scottish government approval and it added: "We completely understand the difficulties the relaxations in the run up to Christmas could impose on operations in the new year and will continue to follow government advice."

The group views it a revised launchpad for the graduated return of rugby crowds.

Its proposal would look to work up towards larger crowds at the 2021 Six Nations championship at the national stadium.

Hagar the Horrible

Talking about the dire situation at Morton, No wonder Hopkins left, he was only allowed one keeper, and they are deeply worried,  Having taking a sinserity tablet that could make an elephant cry.........Oh what a shame, I sure it will all be fine....How did you vote?

I didn't listen but they were saying Scott Gardiner was on Sportsound earlier. Including talking about how they are struggling to get fans to come to games. 

2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Talking about the dire situation - Nat Morton, No wonder Hopkins left, he was only allowed one keeper, and they are deeply worried,  Having taking a sinserity tablet that could make an elephant cry.........Oh what a shame, I sure it will all be fine....How did you vote?

Finish season early - yes

Independent review - no

Reconstruction - yes

Formally complained to SFA about Hearts training - No.

Whinged informally to all and sundry - yes.

Hagar the Horrible
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I didn't listen but they were saying Scott Gardiner was on Sportsound earlier. Including talking about how they are struggling to get fans to come to games. 

I Heard him appart from agreeing with Cormack he was quite good, also being diplomatic about Dundee.  But what was interesting was the info regarding the grant.  He praised the JA money which had no strings attached,  until the spfl got their hands on it and it was full of strings attached, it was a pain to get their money.  He made refernce that the grants should be handled by the Government NOT the league nor the SFA.  Also made it clear that the grants will be required by all clubs as January to March is finacialy their starvation period for all clubs.

So in essence for a lot of clubs......Tick bleeding tock

Hagar the Horrible
10 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Finish season early - yes

Independent review - no

Reconstruction - yes

Formally complained to SFA about Hearts training - No.

Whinged informally to all and sundry - yes.

Chick Dung made it clear they are in a bad way...tick tock

Daily Record 

Funding has been announced but clubs are struggling to meet payroll for this month.

The Scottish Government has been warned it has just one week left to save the Championship from a cash crisis that could see clubs go to the wall for Christmas.

A special Record Sport investigation has revealed several second tier outfits - including crisis club Morton - are now in such serious financial distress they do not have enough money in the bank to cover December’s payroll.

Those wages are due to to paid out before the end of the month there is still no sign of the £10million worth of emergency bailout cash which was pledged to the lower leagues last week as part of a £55m coronavirus rescue package for spectator sport.

One Championship club told us: “The situation is now critical. There are three or four clubs we know of who are now desperately scrambling around trying to find enough money from somewhere or come up with other solutions to cover the December wages.

“Even if they find a way to get through until the end of this month then, without any sign if the grants we have promised, it’s only delaying the inevitable. We need urgent answers. How much money are we getting? When? And how do we go about accessing it?

“It’s incredible that, one week on from the Government’s big announcement, we still don’t have any of these answers. If they don’t come soon then it will be too late and the Championship as a whole will be facing a financial disaster.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-government-warned-critical-championship-23178871#r3z-addoor

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Daily Record 

Funding has been announced but clubs are struggling to meet payroll for this month.

The Scottish Government has been warned it has just one week left to save the Championship from a cash crisis that could see clubs go to the wall for Christmas.

A special Record Sport investigation has revealed several second tier outfits - including crisis club Morton - are now in such serious financial distress they do not have enough money in the bank to cover December’s payroll.

Those wages are due to to paid out before the end of the month there is still no sign of the £10million worth of emergency bailout cash which was pledged to the lower leagues last week as part of a £55m coronavirus rescue package for spectator sport.

One Championship club told us: “The situation is now critical. There are three or four clubs we know of who are now desperately scrambling around trying to find enough money from somewhere or come up with other solutions to cover the December wages.

“Even if they find a way to get through until the end of this month then, without any sign if the grants we have promised, it’s only delaying the inevitable. We need urgent answers. How much money are we getting? When? And how do we go about accessing it?

“It’s incredible that, one week on from the Government’s big announcement, we still don’t have any of these answers. If they don’t come soon then it will be too late and the Championship as a whole will be facing a financial disaster.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-government-warned-critical-championship-23178871#r3z-addoor

image.jpeg.c2fab44e93fd69b5f62ab5fec5fe0c04.jpeg

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Daily Record 

Boo fecking hoo. Did the person the Record spoke to state if they received their TV money? 

On 12/12/2020 at 12:58, CJGJ said:

This could be interesting

Edinburgh have targeted their Champions Cup match with Sale Sharks at Murrayfield on 16 January for a return of fans to their stadium.

The Pro14 club had originally hoped to begin a graduated return of a "small crowd" at their 1872 Cup derby against Glasgow Warriors on 2 January.

But the match against the English Premiership side is now the aim after talks with the Scottish government.

Scottish Rugby's Threat Management Group is "confident" it will go ahead.

However, it is subject to Scottish government approval and it added: "We completely understand the difficulties the relaxations in the run up to Christmas could impose on operations in the new year and will continue to follow government advice."

The group views it a revised launchpad for the graduated return of rugby crowds.

Its proposal would look to work up towards larger crowds at the 2021 Six Nations championship at the national stadium.

I wonder how this will work in Edinburgh isnt in a level that allows spectators 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Daily Record 

The SG has been “warned” yeah?

Think they have bigger things to worry about, and much bigger businesses to save, than glorified bowling clubs. 

In fact, I would place bowling clubs above the likes of most League 1&2 teams. 

Daily Record 

At last a story in the press to give you some Christmas cheer. These shitty wee clubs are holding Scottish football back. 

The Old Tolbooth

Daily Record 

The only thing that worries me about teams going bust in the Championship is that they might suspend the league and call no promotion, they'd love that, apart from that it's sweet as **** to see these clubs toiling! 

Daily Record 

Lucky we are top. 

SectionDJambo

It’s a sure sign of the failures of Doncaster, the SPFL board, the JRG and the leadership from most of the 42 clubs, that we, as football fans, have gone from appreciating the support of some clubs during our administration period, and contributing ourselves to clubs who were in difficulties before us, to actually anticipating the financial demise of clubs with some enthusiasm.

The self interest and sheer spite that prevailed to unfairly punish 3 clubs, is coming back to bite hard.

I would imagine that most of the “take your medicine”, “now is not the right time for reconstruction” and “relegation is the food and drink of football”  crew are having a reality check and wish they could revisit the summer. It did not have to happen like this. Reconstruction, even temporary, and mothballing some clubs, could have had great benefits in the fight to keep clubs in existence. The lack of desire for the collective good was staggering.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )