SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

TyphoonJambo

Romanov would have invited them for wee cruise in his sub then rammed them up the torpedo tubes (not a uphemism)

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Nookie Bear
22 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56254716

There is an "absolute desire" among League 1 and 2 club to play as many games as possible this season, says Stenhousemuir chairman Iain McMenemy.

🤔

I would like to see some of these clubs saying: "we are football clubs and we need to play football, if not for us then for our fans and the integrity of the game"

12 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I would like to see some of these clubs saying: "we are football clubs and we need to play football, if not for us then for our fans and the integrity of the game"

Daily Record might just have got their story wrong in their excitement to get a headline. 

Glamorgan Jambo
6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Daily Record might just have got their story wrong in their excitement to get a headline. 

The Daily Record got exactly the narrative they wanted into their article. This was a PR stunt to try and convince people there was support for null and voiding/curtailment of the season and whatever follows. By someone working Keith Jackson. If anyone thinks these articles (including the one suggesting suspending the Championship) were mere coincidences they need to get out more.

Suspect this came from one of the clubs with representation at the SPFL and/or SFA.

Rogue Daddy
7 minutes ago, Albert McFly said:

22 game season close to being agree in L1 and L2

Hope so... would love to see Brechin getting emptied!

17 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

The Daily Record got exactly the narrative they wanted into their article. This was a PR stunt to try and convince people there was support for null and voiding/curtailment of the season and whatever follows. By someone working Keith Jackson. If anyone thinks these articles (including the one suggesting suspending the Championship) were mere coincidences they need to get out more.

Suspect this came from one of the clubs with representation at the SPFL and/or SFA.

Exactly what I thought on reading that article. If the bloke at Stenny is to be believed, you can understand why the clubs refused to give the SPFL board any powers to decide the season. 

Add in that two board members have a direct interest/conflict of interest  in the season being N&V - it stinks.

53 minutes ago, Albert McFly said:

22 game season close to being agree in L1 and L2

SPFL/SFA  want 18 game season. Probably so that they can rule no promotion or relegation saving Alloa and Brechin. 

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

SPFL/SFA  want 18 game season. Probably so that they can rule no promotion or relegation saving Alloa and Brechin. 

Well as Donkey says he is there to serve the clubs so if they want 22 games they should get 22?

13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Why bother then ? Regardless of the format they agree on , if it doesn't result in promotion & relegation then why bother restarting ? 

I except Brechin from this as I'm sure they will be looked after. 

Hungry hippo

The Stenny chairman pointing out a big factor that the media have, for some reason, been spinning towards the opposite. The lower league players will be desperate to play football as opposed to being reluctant to return.

8 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

The Stenny chairman pointing out a big factor that the media have, for some reason, been spinning towards the opposite. The lower league players will be desperate to play football as opposed to being reluctant to return.

Doing the bidding of the Brechin & Alloa chairman (who happen to be on the SPFL board ?) ? 

Rogue Daddy
7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Why bother then ? Regardless of the format they agree on , if it doesn't result in promotion & relegation then why bother restarting ? 

probably... I don't think the regionals have been given the green light to start - so they'll be N&V, hence no winners, no play-off, no relegation for Brechin.. as per being the worst of the worst, bottom position, position 42/42. Safe... as long as you're on the spfl board. Eh?

20 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

To save Brechin and Alloa, again, and to ensure time to complete the Scottish cup. 

Albert McFly

Believe it or not there is a push for a champion club from the HL and LL to be available for the play off

1 minute ago, Albert McFly said:

Believe it or not there is a push for a champion club from the HL and LL to be available for the play off

Excellent news. 

Rogue Daddy
7 minutes ago, Albert McFly said:

I really hope so! 

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Albert McFly said:

Going by the SPFL statement, there is no intention to hold a L2/HL/LL playoff.

It only mentions Champ/L1 and L1/L2 playoffs.

However, the L2/HL/LL playoffs are an SFA competition, but the likelihood is that, like last season, the SPFL will not put a side forward into such a playoff.

Edited by Footballfirst

John Findlay
Just now, Footballfirst said:

It will be the Highland and Lowland league pushing. The SFA/SPFL board will be pushing back. 

They say Shit only travels one way downwards.

Albert McFly
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It only mentions Champ/L1 and L1/L2 playoffs.

HL and LL meetings tonight and tomorrow expect more news shortly

10 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

If they only play 18 games can they still have promotion, relegation and play offs?

only if brechin and alloa are both not bottom of their leagues

Hungry hippo

The proposed dates include 9 Saturdays and 8 midweeks if I've counted correctly ie 17 available fixture slots. Should be enough time to get the games played. The vast majority of clubs would have 11 or 12 games to go with the worst ones having 14 plus the Cup. 

Just need clubs agree to forfeit games if unable fulfill due to Covid. Also the emergency backup of a Tuesday and Thursday fixture as a one-off but this would seem unlikely to be necessary.

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

only if brechin and alloa are both not bottom of their leagues

I’ve obviously not been following intently enough.

What is the reason that, after an 18 game season, there can be no relegation/promotion? 

I can understand the logic behind it not being enough games but is there a stipulation in the rules that makes that the case?

Hungry hippo
Just now, Squirt said:

What is the reason that, after an 18 game season, there can be no relegation/promotion? 

I can understand the logic behind it not being enough games but is there a stipulation in the rules that makes that the case?

No official reason other than everyone is just assuming the SPFL will be doing everything possible to protect the status quo. Recent evidence suggests that's a reasonable assumption.

18 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

If they only play 18 games can they still have promotion, relegation and play offs?

The SPFL statement doesn't rule it out - but why the need / desire for a split giving another 4 games ? I don't see what that adds ? 

5 minutes ago, Squirt said:

The SPFL haven't said 18 games are an issue but that playing 22 games is too much of a risk due to time constraints  - I think. 

As I said previously, why the need for a further 4 games post split , what does it add ? 

6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The SPFL statement doesn't rule it out - but why the need / desire for a split giving another 4 games ? I don't see what that adds ? 

Some people are saying extra revenue for streams and more games to either try to stay up or go up. The cynic in me suggests they are trying to get to 75% of original games incase there is any more jiggers pokery

8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The SPFL haven't said 18 games are an issue but that playing 22 games is too much of a risk due to time constraints  - I think. 

As I said previously, why the need for a further 4 games post split , what does it add ? 

Think it’s because some of the clubs eg Falkirk, Cove only have  7 games to play if it’s just 18 games. So maybe only three home games to raise any money but two months expenses, wages plus testing costs to incur. Hardly worth the effort esp when furlough is available. 

Hungry hippo
8 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Some people are saying extra revenue for streams and more games to either try to stay up or go up. The cynic in me suggests they are trying to get to 75% of original games incase there is any more jiggers pokery

Yip and that same 75% issue (even though no rule exists) makes us sceptical of the SPFL's motives for being so strongly opposed to the 22 game plan even though they even acknowledge it is up to those clubs.

Edited by Hungry hippo

3 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Yip and that same 75% issue (even though no rule exists) makes us sceptical of the SPFL's motives for being so strongly opposed to the 22 game plan even though they even acknowledge it is up to those clubs.

Exactly as already no sign of the league 2/lowland league play off

just a matter of time before colts reconstruction is raised again formally 

Saint Jambo
6 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Thought the Spfl’s role was merely to do what their members want? They are a members organisation after all. 

To be fair that is what they have said..

"However, the SPFL Board respects the right of League 1 and League 2 clubs to determine how many League Matches they wish to play this season. The SPFL Board has therefore asked the League 1 and League 2 representatives to consider how they would wish the Board to deal with any Club unable to complete a 22-match programme in the time available. Only then will the Board be able to consider the requests to push back the dates of the Play-Offs."

That seems pretty sensible to me. They are basically saying 'fine you can do what you want, but tell us all the rules you want to play by up front in case things go wrong'.

The Treasurer

The spfl seem to be stuck with the idea that all leagues must be finished before the Euros. As no L1 or L2 players will be involved there is no real reason for this. Therefore the lower leagues can run well into May or even June if necessary 

35 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The spfl seem to be stuck with the idea that all leagues must be finished before the Euros. As no L1 or L2 players will be involved there is no real reason for this. Therefore the lower leagues can run well into May or even June if necessary 

I think the problem is you could have teams waiting to play play off games if the leagues have different finishing dates. Severe lack of any foresight and after last seasons debacle has created this mess.  

Edited by Dazo

davemclaren
47 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Uefa want no other matches on during the tournament. 

Just to be clear.

The region with the lowest rate of covid (virtually zero) and the only area where limited spectators were allowed, is not being allowed to restart their league... but forced to play in Scottish cup ties. 
How much serious thinking goes into these decisions. SFA/SpFL and Govt congratulations are due for stupidity and a repeat of what we had to endure vs Hibs (obviously we beat the wee team)

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Uefa want no other matches on during the tournament. 

Nothing surprises me when it comes to those that are supposed to be running the game 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I think the problem is you could have teams waiting to play play off games if the leagues have different finishing dates. Severe lack of any foresight and after last seasons debacle has created this mess.  

Would only really affect the championship team involved. Not great for them but the league does have previous for penalising one or two clubs for the "greater good" 

11 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Would only really affect the championship team involved. Not great for them but the league does have previous for penalising one or two clubs for the "greater good" 

Absolutely and I’m sure it will be the championship teams(alloa) that will be behind the moves not to move the play offs. 

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

As I said previously on here - it was OK to ban Hearts from starting training and force them to play a national cup semi final weeks after the other teams had already started their season. 

Was speaking to an L1 club this morning for work. He was saying they want 22 games (basically as many as poss so season means something) but the flipside is 20th March been thrust upon them and its too soon.

Felt with testing etc there was no reason training even once a week couldn't have happened for the last month.

Says if players need to play three times a week, it's really tough doing it with travel etc as they all have "real jobs" too.

Basically said they've had zero steer or communication from jrg or sfa and all decisions just chucked at them.

They've had testing facilities in place since last April!! Obv not been using them but budgeted and set up to do so. Says other teams similar.

SFA have hung all these teams out to dry. How crap for the likes of Falkirk and Partick in particular.

Glamorgan Jambo
2 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

Just to be clear.

The region with the lowest rate of covid (virtually zero) and the only area where limited spectators were allowed, is not being allowed to restart their league... but forced to play in Scottish cup ties. 
How much serious thinking goes into these decisions. SFA/SpFL and Govt congratulations are due for stupidity and a repeat of what we had to endure vs Hibs (obviously we beat the wee team)

Exactly but if the whole point is to avoid the possibility of relegation for an SPFL board members club you know... Willing to bet the slight delay in the announcement of the restart was the JRG being requested by the SG to start womens football up .